Jack Monroe #23 Life would be so much easier if everyone was a chronic optimist.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
And this is why just as I'm starting to actually feel bad for and hope that mentally she isn't in a really crappy place, I never stay there feeling bad for long because she is such an absolute asshole to her followers who are asking a perfectly legitimate question. She doesn't know what sort of a day that person is having, her being so snarky could really make someone feel bad, so for someone who likes to pose as a MH advocate when it suits her, it really boils my piss to see her acting like that to people.
Sorry, but yes, absolutely.

Can you imagine if one of her celeb mates had asked the very same question “oh you know me Nigella, I just can’t sit still so I moved the kitchen - you must come and see it when lockdown is over” 🤮

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 20
Yay, I love hearing people using the library resources! There is so much available, especially now in lockdown (shh, but I even read Good food for bad days at the weekend from the library online). Please make use of us online while we are closed and try and visit when we are open- we have loads of good stuff!
We are so lucky to still have a tiny library in our village which we use when we can. My eldest is a bookworm and loves borrowing from the library. I’ve downloaded so many books since discovering the app too. It’s a great resource!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Don’t like to brag, but guess whose husband came home with Maccy D’s, oh and McFlurrys for us all too

WHAAAAAAT?!!!!! Oh my God, you are truly one of God's chosen people!!! Our Maccy's isn't doing fecking Mcflurries. My children acted like their human rights had been violated when we read out to them the 'reduced menu'
The police were called to our branch yesterday because people were kicking off. Not even joking. They had to shut it !!
Because I'm feeling naughty I might post on our local Mums" FB group that OTHER branches are doing Mcflurries.
There will be an outrage....

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
We are so lucky to still have a tiny library in our village which we use when we can. My eldest is a bookworm and loves borrowing from the library. I’ve downloaded so many books since discovering the app too. It’s a great resource!
Omg +1 for this, I imagine it varies regionally but I was even able to register for my local library online and have been given a temp card number I can use to access all the apps. Took minutes and is a really good user experience tbh, I was expecting it to be a right ball ache like logging into HMRC online.

I’ve also ordered a kindle finally! It arrives tomorrow, mega excited 😍

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Just watched the first 30 seconds of tonight’s live and I’m already cringing! Why is she incapable of going live without tech support? It’s ridiculously unprofessional especially for something that’s sponsored. Many many people are creating super polished content on Instagram with just their phones for free. 🤷🏼‍♀️

like this shot should not still be happening!

Edited to say: 1. why does she need support with pressing live? “Can you talk me through” come on Jack!
2. Why is she never prepared?
3. reference to “it’s so messy” every single time despite posting a photo of her latest set hours earlier.
4. Thanks for explaining the job of a prit-stick. 👍🏻
I am pissing myself at this photo. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I completely agree with this. She does very little in practical terms, most of it seems to be talk.
I remember a few threads back someone mentioned that she’d been nominated for a food writers’ guild award in the “inspiration” category.
The shortlist is below, and if you look at the AMAZING stuff her competitors are doing, it is frankly embarrassing that she was nominated alongside them.
Even when she was arranging to donate her books to food banks, you had to buy it first so that she got the money. It was NOT a selfless act.

Inspiration Award

Sally Brown and Kate Morris (Flavour School and My World Kitchen)
Barny Haughton (Square Food Foundation)
Jack Monroe (cookingonabootstrap.com)
Alicia Weston (Bags of Taste)
Chris Wilkie (Plan Zheroes)
Not related to Jack, but this list is a blast from the past!

I worked with Barny many years ago (as a weekend waitress so doubt he even knew my name), and Alicia, well I came across Bags of Taste in a food mag, maybe Delicious, a couple of years ago. The article gave her email address for people to contact her if they were interested in her venture - it was right up my street, something I would’ve been good at (blows trumpet), something I am very passionate about....and she told me I couldn’t do it because I had a baby and it would be too difficult for me. I answered the phone so excited at a potential life/career change and put the phone down feeling utter shite about myself!! From the way she spoke to me I’m glad it didn’t go any further, but I do still wonder what could’ve been! She was very much a ‘I’m not being rude but...’ kind of person!
Anyway, Jack!! I tried to watch her chaos tonight - only managed to watch the first few minutes, which is a few minutes longer than I gave last weeks. I skipped to the end and have to say, I did like her grilled cheese spring onion suggestion to superfan - I was hoping she’d mention if she’d sent the book though!!

Reactions: 1
Omg +1 for this, I imagine it varies regionally but I was even able to register for my local library online and have been given a temp card number I can use to access all the apps. Took minutes and is a really good user experience tbh, I was expecting it to be a right ball ache like logging into HMRC online.

I’ve also ordered a kindle finally! It arrives tomorrow, mega excited 😍
Oooooh does this mean we can delve back into the land of book recommendations? 🙏🏻

• Heart
Reactions: 11
In other news I am slightly squint eyed by the lack of Jack Monroe fodder on this series of threads, most other threads on here people are warned for going off topic about a SM nightmare on other tattle threads.
Really? I like the threads here - they respond to JM when they need to, which is most of the time, and rattle along nicely in between.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Off topic (sorry Jack if you’re reading) but can anyone recommend a really good veggie chilli recipe? Ideally one that can be adapted to suit small people ?

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
I didn’t actually catch the shitshow. The theme was supposed to be “salads and lunches” wasn’t it, so what did she cook? Did she actually manage to finish the recipe this time?

Reactions: 6
I didn’t actually catch the shitshow. The theme was supposed to be “salads and lunches” wasn’t it, so what did she cook? Did she actually manage to finish the recipe this time?
Wait it was meant to be lunch themed?! It was some sort of cauliflower with mayonnaise and crispy onions I think?!

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 12
Off topic (sorry Jack if you’re reading) but can anyone recommend a really good veggie chilli recipe? Ideally one that can be adapted to suit small people ?
I do (meaty!) chocolate chilli from Nigella which is very easy to adapt to vegan/veggie.
Either skip mince completely and just add extra veggies (peppers, potatoes. Not exactly authentic but bulky) or get a mince substitute. Personally I like the soya pieces from Ethical Superstore but you can get them everywhere. The chocolate is normally dairy free as is super dark (at least 70%)
When I'm doing a family get together (before covid!) I do the normal choc chilli alongside a vegan version.

I fogot it had a theme!! (got a bit lost in delivery...)
Surely to goodness any kind of 'salad and lunch' that you had to tie in with mayo would be
1. Make a salad and put Mayo on it
2. Make a sandwich and put Mayo in it

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
Yes!

ingredients:
1 onion
2 red peppers
3 cloves of garlic
2 cans tomatoes
2 cans kidney beans (drained)
1 can black beans (drained)
Handful of frozen sweetcorn.
200-ish ml of stock (I use beef because not a vegetarian - so if you are maybe veg stock and marmite or something).

spices: either Mexican spice mix or what I do is :

2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Half tsp Garlic granules
half teaspoon onion granules
Half teaspoon celery salt
Half teaspoon ground coriander
Half teaspoon marjoram
Salt and pepper

squeeze of tomato puree
Tiny sq of dark chocolate.

fry onion and red pepper until soft, add sliced garlic and spices for a couple of mins at the end. Tip in toms, stock and canned beans and simmer for about 20 mins. Add handful of sweetcorn and chocolate and go for another 5-10 mins.

serve with a squeeze of lime on long grain rice. Add hot sauce at the table for adults (And guacamole, grated cheese, sour cream/Greek yog).

Leftovers - make enchiladas with corn tortillas for the next day.

I’ve been known to add diced carrot,celery, mushrooms, courgettes at the frying veg stage if I have them in the fridge and they need eating. Also diced chorizo but obv not if you are proper veggie.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Another bajillion pages to catch up. I was up at 5am too, thanks to the yappy little tit next door going off. The owners then decided to water their concrete for an hour - other neighbour is now doing his, before he commences his two hour daily leaf blowing 😬

Anyway, she really should just accept that presenting is not her *thing*. She just can't do it, and I honestly don't think media training would help either. Watching her is like witnessing your own anxiety attack. So uncomfortable.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
WHAAAAAAT?!!!!! Oh my God, you are truly one of God's chosen people!!! Our Maccy's isn't doing fecking Mcflurries. My children acted like their human rights had been violated when we read out to them the 'reduced menu'
The police were called to our branch yesterday because people were kicking off. Not even joking. They had to shut it !!
Because I'm feeling naughty I might post on our local Mums" FB group that OTHER branches are doing Mcflurries.
There will be an outrage....
If someone could kindly just point me in the direction of these McDonalds that are doing McFlurrys I would be most grateful🍔

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I feel for you. I have a bleeping cockerel next door.
Leaf blowing neighbour (or Birdman as I usually call him) has two macaws. They live in a gigantic cage on top of a shipping container, and have an indoor shelter which is roughly half a shipping container in size. They like to sit on sunloungers inside it, which is so weird.

I feel better getting that off my chest, although probably no one needed to know 😂 I shall take myself to the shops now, as I'm making a meatball, veggie, and orzo bake for tea tonight, and feel like it might need some mozarella on top, just for extra gooiness.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
I totally forgot she started asking chetna what she eats for lunch. Wouldn’t alexis have been a good guest on the salad front in that case following her stories about Innocent and her ideas being stolen

oh and she’d made one earlier which was imaginative I still don’t know what it was though

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.