Jack Monroe #199 Just mind-bogglingly, gobsmackingly stupid

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Me too I'm afraid. I'm 45 and didn't have pasta until I was about 13 or 14. I was probably a bit of a nightmare because I became vegetarian in a staunchly meat and two veg lower middle class household.
I became vegetarian at age 11 just because I didn't want to eat another bloody Sunday roast.

Most days we would have some kind of lump of meat with potatoes or chips but my mum would still occasionally make pasta. She was also very adventurous because some weeks she would make sweet and sour pork balls with leftover roast pork or bright yellow curry with rice with sultanas in it!

My first born arrived the same week as Jack did in 1988. I have a beloved photo of him aged about one sitting in his high chair with spag bol all over his face, hair, hands and the high chair šŸ˜¬.

Not that this proves anything but given Monrocchio's record for truth and recall I'm sceptical. First born loved spag bol, he called it persgetti.
My sister's first taste of solids was a bit of bread dipped in bolognese sauce, this was the 80s too. I seem to remember she was 6 weeks old, a normal time for weaning back then.

Health visitors these days would have a fit if a mum told them that now.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 28
has mom acknowledged her grandson's amazing chocolatier ability yet?

• Haha
Reactions: 27
Iā€™m really being a pasta truther here but if that other girl was that working class then she would have been on free school meals and I would imagine pasta is a popular option from years back?
Nope, I had FSM for a while in the late 80s and there was never pasta on the menu.

They had a main meal with a scoop of mash, a potato waffle or chips on a Friday. They also added a salad bar where you could get a baked potato with fillings.

You could get a Scotch pie with chips and beans which was my favourite!

Reactions: 24
Nope, I had FSM for a while in the late 80s and there was never pasta on the menu.

They had a main meal with a scoop of mash, a potato waffle or chips on a Friday. They also added a salad bar where you could get a baked potato with fillings.

Fair enough, though I would have thought by the mid/late 90ā€™s it would more likely be on the menu, but obviously I could be wrong or else bith Jack and her mate are being disingenuous

Reactions: 20

I had school dinners in the late 80s and remember lasagne (sans horse spunk but still pretty awful), plus spaghetti occasionally making it to the menu. There would be cold pasta on the salad bar, but I donā€™t think anyone ever ate that. This was a very unfancy school full of feral children.

(I miss those balls of mash potato served with an ice cream scoop and feel strongly that Tottenham cake needs to make a comeback. OK thatā€™s enough Peter Kaye style posting for now.)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
Yep it definitely looks like Nigella has still not responded to Jackā€™s tweet about the chocolate salame. Which must be disappointing because, letā€™s face it, that was the only purpose of the tweet.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 61
I thought it was a bit strange Jack had a recipe a few weeks ago (risotto? I think?) that called for white wine so she used non alcoholic. I do not know tbh if this is OK for people in recovery - but it struck me as an odd choice.

Reactions: 32
I've just been flicking through my local weekly paper which I picked up at Tesco today. Candice Brown from Bake Off has a new book out and was being interviewed in the food section. She talked about the problems she had over lockdown with the pub she co-owns with her brother, her recent ADHD diagnosis and her current problems with her mental health.

'That book is Happy Cooking, in which Brown writes candidly about her struggles and how she retreats to the kitchen in times of need ("I cook and I bake when I'm happy, sad, stressed, angry..."), and reveals the recipes which help her cope, whether it's a comforting, gooey cheese and sausage toasties, a nourishing chicken tray bake, nostalgia-inducing angel cake, or Swedish cinnamon buns made for sharing.'

From the interview, it seems like it has been a difficult time for her and she does comes close to tears in it, but it also sounds SO much better than twit's book on the same premise, and no mention of god-awful depressipies. Wonder which one will sell better, eh?
Itā€™s probably outsold mackies piss poor effort already šŸ™„

• Haha
Reactions: 23
She's gonna hate this sensible squiggle View attachment 681442
Agree completely, but no one would be confronted at a meeting itā€™s not a confessional format or a gang šŸ˜‚ ā¤ Wouldnā€™t want anyone to ever be fearful about meetings or slips! However it would definitely be something youā€™d speak to your sponsor about and you would very likely come to the conclusion to reset your days. It depends on the context though, trying something and discovering you taste booze or eating the whole thing and finding out after from the person that made it is a very different behaviour to willingly putting it in to impress Mom or staying on the 0.8% ABV beers. Jack repeatedly flaunts behaviours that would really worry me about a sponsee & would trigger a convo re: resetting days. She was claiming 5 years at one point, so these types of continuous slips/inaccuracies do really matter and is why most people choose to take advantage of the tradition of anonymityā€¦ But most ppl donā€™t feel inclined to write trash for cash about the fellowship/a specific meeting and person down the Guardian šŸ˜¬šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 58
Screenshot_20210727-064832_Twitter.jpg

šŸŽ¶ "one of these things is not like the others and two of them don't belong" šŸŽ¶

Alas, as yet no like from bootstrapcock... sad timesā˜¹

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 55
Agree completely, but no one would be confronted at a meeting itā€™s not a confessional format or a gang šŸ˜‚ ā¤ Wouldnā€™t want anyone to ever be fearful about meetings or slips! However it would definitely be something youā€™d speak to your sponsor about and you would very likely come to the conclusion to reset your days. It depends on the context though, trying something and discovering you taste booze or eating the whole thing and finding out after from the person that made it is a very different behaviour to willingly putting it in to impress Mom or staying on the 0.8% ABV beers. Jack repeatedly flaunts behaviours that would really worry me about a sponsee & would trigger a convo re: resetting days. She was claiming 5 years at one point, so these types of continuous slips/inaccuracies do really matter and is why most people choose to take advantage of the tradition of anonymityā€¦ But most ppl donā€™t feel inclined to write trash for cash about the fellowship/a specific meeting and person down the Guardian šŸ˜¬šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø
Do you guys not do that? At every meeting we ask someone to do the main share but rather than listening to their experience, strength and hope we all fire questions at them until they crack and admit they ate something that had alcohol in it. And then we ask about the mouthwashā€¦

Obviously Iā€™m jesting and agree whole heartedly with HTRIA, who always put things so brilliantly. Jack chooses to mention it when it suits her narrative, as the Squiggle says she uses the hashtags so people will come to expect her to make honest, sensible decisions about things that are important in AA if sheā€™s promoting them.

Everyone has early days of sobriety and theyā€™re really important. Some people will feel better seeing a public figure in sobriety and when your head is still like a burst football, you will take in what people say even if it is a random on Twitter so they might thing ā€œoh, I can make my own Kamboucha because Jackā€™s in AA and she does itā€.

The minute she opened the door to AA she took on a responsibility and like with everything else, she just doesnā€™t give a shiny tit about anyone but herself

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 64
02B30FBC-0304-4F35-8360-1E4D5E971D39.png
mom has just replied. Itā€™s a shame Jack is now on a break so wonā€™t be able to post a pic of the finished article!

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 43
Yep it definitely looks like Nigella has still not responded to Jackā€™s tweet about the chocolate salame. Which must be disappointing because, letā€™s face it, that was the only purpose of the tweet.
Just noting in passing that last week Nigella asked people to let her know what they were cooking for Eid on Twitter and then gave individual replies clearly indicating that she had read and thought about the comments. There were a lot of them. It was almost as if Twitter could be used as a medium for communication?

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 49
She's gonna hate this sensible squiggle View attachment 681442
That Squiggle is interesting. Only joined in June. Following just mental health/addiction accounts, oh and a footballer.
Doesn't follow Jack.
Pops up conveniently to give Jack opportunity to say she's not drinking (or putting booze in food).
Also gives Jack another opportunity to interact nicely with a dissenting Squiggle without having tantrum.
Could be innocent, but Jack's got previous for deploying Socks to back her up in a time of need.

• Wow
Reactions: 49
Further shot across the bow from our friend, the recovery squig.

I absolutely love it when a squig pulls her up on her tit and itā€™s clear that itā€™s not come from here.

I canā€™t be the only one that wants to reply - donā€™t worry, itā€™s ALL bullshit, my friend - but, of course he has a point that 300k followers, public account and using addiction/recovery terminology for engagement should be called out. I just wish HE had a big platform to do it from.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.