Jack Monroe #199 Just mind-bogglingly, gobsmackingly stupid

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've just been flicking through my local weekly paper which I picked up at Tesco today. Candice Brown from Bake Off has a new book out and was being interviewed in the food section. She talked about the problems she had over lockdown with the pub she co-owns with her brother, her recent ADHD diagnosis and her current problems with her mental health.

'That book is Happy Cooking, in which Brown writes candidly about her struggles and how she retreats to the kitchen in times of need ("I cook and I bake when I'm happy, sad, stressed, angry..."), and reveals the recipes which help her cope, whether it's a comforting, gooey cheese and sausage toasties, a nourishing chicken tray bake, nostalgia-inducing angel cake, or Swedish cinnamon buns made for sharing.'

From the interview, it seems like it has been a difficult time for her and she does comes close to tears in it, but it also sounds SO much better than twit's book on the same premise, and no mention of god-awful depressipies. Wonder which one will sell better, eh?

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 55
When you think about it, isn’t it incredible that a woman who thinks gently rinsed baked beans are a reasonable ingredient has released 4 cookbooks?

In many ways it proves anything is possible. (Yes I am mildly pissed. Now duck off x)

• Haha
Reactions: 47
When you think about it, isn’t it incredible that a woman who thinks gently rinsed baked beans are a reasonable ingredient has released 4 cookbooks?

In many ways it proves anything is possible. (Yes I am mildly pissed. Now duck off x)
She has six cookbooks. Unbelievable, isn't it?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 45
Fully grown adults get paid £££for dicking about om you tube with childrens toys. Yep anything is possible.

• Haha
Reactions: 31
Has she ever specified that the beans were gently rinsed? If they're anything like her Patrons they're being rinsed to the brink of hummus.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 42
or rocky road!
Nigella's Rocky Road recipe is a triumph also.
I used to live on a small estate where we used to have little street parties in the summer, to which I would take mini pizzas and the Rocky Road.
When I moved the neighbours kids first concern was 'Who is going to make the Rocky Road now?!'

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Loves, we no longer need to wait for the crackling recipe. Gaz Oakley is everything she wishes she were.

Alright, now Instagram is trolling me. Vegan paella! In her niche.
No doubt Jack will claim to have been working behind the scenes to produce that vegan crackling.

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Love this footage of Jack reminding the audience in the opening few seconds that she is 'The talent'. Such humility does make you wonder how she subsequently gained a reputation for being difficult to work with by the DKL team. Easy to imagine her sweeping in and treating the floor crew like dirt.

Too early for thread titles, but (@Pocahontas) could we have a favourite Jack quote poll to mark the 200th thread? If so, I would like to nominate "I'm the talent, so if I can't have some pretzels then I don't know what the world is coming to" as an utterly ridiculous and characteristically egocentric entry.

Here is a great 'live' example of your point. As soon as the person has drawn an equivalence with her background, they have to be silenced mid-sentence.

I watched the first part of the video and more bollocks.
1 The 5 star diners declared her tinned meal the best ever. Are you truly trying to tell us they can't tell the difference between tinned stewing steak cooked in coke and prime fillet of beef. I'm someone who has had my own poverty™ and still eat on a reasonably tight budget a lot of the time but on the couple of occasions I have had properly posh meals you can really tell the difference.

(ironically one of the best meals I ever ate was at a French restaurant called l'escargot blanc around the corner from the tent Jack was speaking in after I had seen Lionel Shriver at the book festival. She is a true literary genius who didn't feel the need to talk about how she was the star. The meal was also only £15 or so for the lunch menu but I have honestly never tasted mashed potatoes like that before. It was also served with beautiful baby veg, a world away from Smart Price frozen.).

2 The posho chased her along the corridor because he was so annoyed at being tricked. Well, I'd be pretty pissed off if I had paid a hell of a lot of money for a meal and got rinsed spaghetti hoops.

3 She had not eaten pasta till she was 14. Of course, poor dad had to buy smart price sauce to go with the pasta and serve it in chunks.

What happened to the beautiful chunks of pasticcio she used to eat at the Greek church gatherings?

I just can't cope with the pointless lies!

So at the height of summer, when the greengrocers and even the supermarkets are heaving with fresh, seasonal strawberries (which have been particularly great this year), cherries, raspberries, gooseberries, redcurrants and rhubarb, Jack considers this a good time to be shilling tinned fruit? Which is probably more expensive than stuff that actually tastes of fruit?

One or more of the parties in this advertising shitshow have not thought this partnership through properly.
To be fair, the mel donte partnership ended a little while ago. I think the last live was in March but no doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong :)

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
I think the Mel Donte made an appearance because Miguel has the princes thing going.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 35
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.