Jack Monroe #195 She basically writes fan-fiction about herself

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Adding to all the previous cabal analysis, especially @MancBee :

Imagine suffering from depression (first hand experience) and being given Letdown Magazine by someone. This would have actually worsened my situation, it is a slap in the face.

I am waiting for advice like: dance as if nobody is watching !

Often 'remedies' in those kind of magazine are simply of a commercial nature, like taking a trip with the girls, getting pampered in a spa. It trivialises depression and portrays depression in a way that makes it socially acceptable and easily manageable.
A bit like an attractive instagramer doing a confessional "here I am showing my unattractive toe" showing a normal toe.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 48
Adding to all the previous cabal analysis, especially @MancBee :

Imagine suffering from depression (first hand experience) and being given Letdown Magazine by someone. This would have actually worsened my situation, it is a slap in the face.

I am waiting for advice like: dance as if nobody is watching !

Often 'remedies' in those kind of magazine are simply of a commercial nature, like taking a trip with the girls, getting pampered in a spa. It trivialises depression and portrays depression in a way that makes it socially acceptable and easily manageable.
A bit like an attractive instagramer doing a confessional "here I am showing my unattractive toe" showing a normal toe.
It smacks me more of the Buzzfeed clickbaity lists, rather than actual journalism

• Heart
Reactions: 40
I can't believe they include that Toploader song on that list, it's so hilariously uncool.

• Haha
Reactions: 48
I might be the only one who likes her haircut...I think the style suits her. If she paid £120 for it though she's a mug, you surely only pay that if you earn very good money. I don't think she does, then again if she's no longer at the bungalow then she's saving £2k a month I would think.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Jack's going to have to do some serious rebranding pretty fast.

She must be living off the Patreon dosh due to lack of paid gigs, and her social media absence is not going to help that.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
On a Grunk but Toni and Guy really aligns with Jack's values... overpriced, brand-driven and style (not that it is stylish) over substance. I went once when I was in my early 20s with my first adult job paycheck and was horrified with the end result.

For £70 where I'm from you'd get a really decent and "fancy" cut and dye from a good local salon.

Jack's faved this, which is hilarious to me, as the only time Jack talks about PRs is to witch about them sending her the wrong emails and freebies.

View attachment 635490
I work in an adjacent industry and end of the day, PR people are annoying. They have to be. They're not a journalist investigating, writing or promoting something because it's an interesting story. They do it because they're being paid.

All my journo friends dislike most PR people because they are constantly mithering them....

• Heart
Reactions: 39
I mean, that list would be enough to finish me on a good day...
(To note - I have had one years long episode of single major depression some time back and this kind of nonsense isn't helpful)

I totally agree on this 😂
I did take a haircut back to Toni and Guy once as it really wasn't what I'd asked for.
(I wanted rumpled and edgy and they made me look like a Blue Peter presenter. It was also well out of whack when I washed it) They apologised and redid it with no charge in fairness to them. Just for you Jack when you finish your grunk.
I agree they do a very mediocre cut but spend ages finishing it, so it looks great stepping out of the salon and you are left right bleeping mess when you wash and style it yourself and at least 50 notes lighter.

• Haha
Reactions: 35

I will never not think of Patrick Bateman when I hear walking on sunshine.

The advice of listening to certain songs to deal with your depression is like the advice of putting on a silly hat to get rid of your migraine, or buying new shoes to help your broken leg heal. Disgusting that this is someone's 'professional output' as a 'journalist'.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 46
Ugh. I hate how this kind of nonsense reduces depression down to just feeling 'a bit fed up/a bit low', which is a normal human emotion and NOT a bloody illness. The depressed spells I go through leave me unable to function, and I rely on a lot of care from my husband. Know what I don't do? I don't listen to music, as a) have such overwhelming apathy, b) am so brain fogged that I wouldn't be able to concentrate on music and take it in. You could play me a song and I wouldn't actually 'hear' it 🤷. I'm afraid a "catchy chorus" would not help me "shake off any negative feelings" FFS 😡
I cannot believe anyone thinks there is any value in writing a list of songs. The internet is awash with listicles. Spotify literally has curated playlists. The “arrogance” of that website is breathtaking. If you want to write about mood and music, either do a personal story, or do some bloody research about, you know, mood and music. Suggest people curate their own lists for relaxing, cheering up, motivation/exercise etc. if you must. So old hat.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
On a Grunk but Toni and Guy really aligns with Jack's values... overpriced, brand-driven and style (not that it is stylish) over substance. I went once when I was in my early 20s with my first adult job paycheck and was horrified with the end result.
Absolutely. Plus its a boring, mediocre chain, like the restaurants she loves so much, and somewhere that's dated and a bit dull.

She'd probably do better at Supercuts.

• Haha
Reactions: 34
It would make sense if she was trying to date & wants the threads to not be discussing legit #content she puts out there. But that’s assuming the most recent thread(s) surface first on google, which doesn’t appear to be the case plus there’s the wiki.

We’ll get sad fishing in the next few days as it’s month end approaching and she’s only gained 3 Patreons this month
How many has she lost?

Reactions: 13

For £70 where I'm from you'd get a really decent and "fancy" cut and dye from a good local salon.

I work in an adjacent industry and end of the day, PR people are annoying. They have to be. They're not a journalist investigating, writing or promoting something because it's an interesting story. They do it because they're being paid.

All my journo friends dislike most PR people because they are constantly mithering them....
If someone gets upset by a journalist beig rude to them, working in PR is probably the wrong career choice.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
Could this be the yellow wall? Ground floor at Westfield Stratford. Not sure if Jack would be that Far East?
Think she was at the other one in W12 (Shepherds Bush)
Well, that's where the hairdresser she tags works anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.