Jack Monroe #195 She basically writes fan-fiction about herself

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know it’s not Jack but I have to share this as it’s so Jack....two cheeks of the same arse!
Oh, and yes - no longer private.

On topic - I wonder what momentous political event will bring Jack back, candyman style. After all she did politics BEFORE she did food! Will Hancock being the absolute sleaze many already suspected be enough? I half expected Politic Jack to come out to play when Cummins was having his moment.

Attachments

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 40
I know it’s not Jack but I have to share this as it’s so Jack....two cheeks of the same arse!

On topic - I wonder what momentous political event will bring Jack back, candyman style. After all she did politics BEFORE she did food! Will Hancock being the absolute sleaze many already suspected be enough? I half expected Politic Jack to come out to play when Cummins was having his moment.
Breakdown mag? Am I wrong in feeling that's a bit tacky for a mental 'elf magazine? Also two cheeks of the same arse is never not funny. 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 39
Breakdown mag? Am I wrong in feeling that's a bit tacky for a mental 'elf magazine? Also two cheeks of the same arse is never not funny. 😂
Of course it is - but they probably thought it was snappy and edgy, the clowns.

I have read a couple of articles — not loads as reluctant to give it footfall, so to speak. It’s vacuous nonsense centred around self care, and stuff such as “Being you is enough” or “Pat yourself on the back for having a wash”. I do not want to trivialise the very real suffering that poor mental health can bring but, hand on heart, I feel like that’s exactly what Hattie and her gang ARE doing - with their “Self care subscription boxes” and “Inclusive jewellery sellers promotions”. I am sure you all must know what I mean - the sort of thing that gives oodles of ammunition to the rabid right wingers about being “woke”. And I can absolutely see why they wanted Jack on board. Right up her street.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
I just had a re-read of thread 31 and it’s every bit as beautiful as I remembered 😂

But it makes me sad that so many fabulous posters don’t comment any more

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 61

I have read a couple of articles — not loads as reluctant to give it footfall, so to speak. It’s vacuous nonsense centred around self care, and stuff such as “Being you is enough” or “Pat yourself on the back for having a wash”. I do not want to trivialise the very real suffering that poor mental health can bring but, hand on heart, I feel like that’s exactly what Hattie and her gang ARE doing - with their “Self care subscription boxes” and “Inclusive jewellery sellers promotions”. I am sure you all must know what I mean - the sort of thing that gives oodles of ammunition to the rabid right wingers about being “woke”. And I can absolutely see why they wanted Jack on board. Right up her street.
It really does take the piss out of MH issues. Buying a crystal/ bath bomb/ necklace/whatever, won't fix the wonky chemicals in my brain. It's a temporary little bit of joy - often tempered, as many of you will know, with remorse for being silly and indulgent, as these things are often quite pricey. A magazine with honest articles about medications, different therapies, and humour (cos depressives are often very funny buggers) would be much more interesting and useful than a bunch of back patting weirdos tagging themselves into the awful abuse poor Britney has endured.

• Heart
Reactions: 56
It really does take the piss out of MH issues. Buying a crystal/ bath bomb/ necklace/whatever, won't fix the wonky chemicals in my brain. It's a temporary little bit of joy - often tempered, as many of you will know, with remorse for being silly and indulgent, as these things are often quite pricey. A magazine with honest articles about medications, different therapies, and humour (cos depressives are often very funny buggers) would be much more interesting and useful than a bunch of back patting weirdos tagging themselves into the awful abuse poor Britney has endured.
Yes - you said it far better than I. My experiences of poor mental health are entirely around being utterly bereft and grief stricken a few years ago and they are much, much better now. To live permanently with issues that need medicating and monitoring is obviously challenging enough, without the idea that you can buy your way out of it. Or, in Jacks case, cook a bowl of brown slop from a couple of cans and call it self care. And, I would be well up for reading articles such as you describe - in order to further my own knowledge and understanding of a much under acknowledged and under funded problem of our society. Perhaps you could “pitch” to Hattie! And maybe it won’t languish in an inbox for weeks!

• Heart
Reactions: 32

The posho thing of not finishing sentences really annoys! (Me - see, just bleeping finish the sentence!)

“I may have missed IT”

• Heart
Reactions: 19
The posho thing of not finishing sentences really annoys! (Me - see, just bleeping finish the sentence!)

“I may have missed IT”
What annoys me at the moment is the tendency to miss out the words "to be" from sentences.

Eg saying "that needs changed"

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
What annoys me at the moment is the tendency to miss out the words "to be" from sentences.

Eg saying "that needs changed"
I agree. I also hate commas in place of “and”. E.g: Jack causes twitter storm, backtracks.

Reactions: 24
I'm on some training and I've just been told to always, always triangulate.

Completed it, mate

• Haha
I agree. I also hate commas in place of “and”. E.g: Jack causes twitter storm, backtracks.
This is an American journalistic convention and it WINDS ME UP NO END. Avoid the New York Times if this annoys you.
The missing out the words "to be" is a Scottish linguistic/dialect thing that does appear to be gaining momentum elsewhere and for the sake of marital and workplace harmony I have had to build up a tolerance to it over the last 25 years. It does grate my corned beef no end, though.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
_119014808_cbpre2522-4.jpg

I saw this in the news today - apparently it's gone viral in India. Although it definitely misses the mark in some respects, it made me think of our Jackie

• Haha
  • Wow

You are right.
If only I'd known about the magazine and it's 'advice' when my daughter lost her job and home due to her mental health. I could have just bunged her a few quid and told her to buy something nice, instead of moving her back to me to be cared for, picking up the pieces, physically, mentally and financially, and fighting for her every step of the way. These charlatans and their nonsense piss me right off.

• Heart
Reactions: 55
You are right.
If only I'd known about the magazine and it's 'advice' when my daughter lost her job and home due to her mental health. I could have just bunged her a few quid and told her to buy something nice, instead of moving her back to me to be cared for, picking up the pieces, physically, mentally and financially, and fighting for her every step of the way. These charlatans and their nonsense piss me right off.
100% this.
Everyone has their ups and downs in life. Everyone has those days when you wake up and feel a bit down. Conversely, we all have days when you feel happy and it's for no apparent reason. This is not bi-polar, this is not depression, it is normal life.

It is dickheads like these that make people question the validity of depression. How many times have you heard "what's she got to be depressed about" or "he just needs a laugh and good night out, that'll sort him"? When people are lead to believe that treating yourself to a luxury item will make it all better, no wonder they think MH isn't serious.

Think how much the NHS could save if the cure for depression was a bath in "Stress Relief Radox". How simple it would be if all you needed to treat anxiety was a bright red lipstick to give you confidence.

Snake oil salesmen the lot of 'em. Preying on the vulnerable is despicable.

Rant over. 🤗🤗🤗

• Heart
Reactions: 60
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.