Jack Monroe #190 The sloppening

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We're on the old THTC system that was put in throughout the Highlands years ago. It stands for Total Heating with Total Control, we have two separate electricity meters on two separate rates, one has all the storage heaters/panel heaters on it and the other has everything else. I can turn the heating on or off at the wall and set the storage heaters to boost us in the morning or the evening, but other than that, SSE has control of that circuit and they choose when power is supplied to it depending on the forecast for our area. We get between 5 and 12 hours a day of power to it. The other circuit is unrestricted, but it's charged at a higher rate than their standard rate, while the heating circuit is supposed to be at a very low rate, but it was 7.65p/kwh when we first moved here 13 years ago and is now up to 16.73p/kwh for the heating circuit, 20.6p/kwh for the other circuit and 27.49p per day for the standing charge.

Until recently it was impossible to switch away from without getting your circuits rewired because no other company would touch the two meter system, but they've recently managed to overcome that, so I can have a look at switching - but they're ending support for these meters soon and will be swapping everyone over to a single meter system, so I might as well hold on and get them to do the work (plus we're hoping to do a lot of work on our house early next year, including getting an air source heat pump and full central heating fitted), although goodness knows what they'll switch me to, as I'm in an area where smart meters don't work (no signal). The meter at my holiday cottage down the road is an old key meter I've been trying to get swapped out for three years, it broke over Christmas and I'm now getting free electricity there while they try and figure out what to do. They do have a small stock of old meters, but their protocols say I can't have one of those unless the power goes off and five months later, the power still hasn't gone off! According to a friendly SSE engineer I spoke to, I've done my bit in informing them of the problem in the first place and all they can legally bill me for is the daily standing charge when they finally sort it out.

Sorry, off-topic rant about ancient Highland heating systems over...
OT: can corroborate this, it's ridiculous my electricity was the same and they called it an exotic meter. I've moved house and no more storage heaters and only £50pm for electricity. Although I do still have to get oil for the heater. One day I'll get gas haha.

Reactions: 16
She’s bagged a byline / advertorial in the Chichester Observer

Just had a look at the article, it was for world baking day. That picture of the dry as sticks peach drizzle cake hahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahaha

ETA, The peach, almond and cinnamon buns ingredients start with a can of pears, and nowhere in the list is the mention of a peach.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 52
Lol I can't believe that even with the corporate might and moolah of del Monte backing her, the best they can do is local newspapers.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
Lol I can't believe that even with the corporate might and moolah of del Monte backing her, the best they can do is local newspapers.
Literally 😂 Jack call me I can get you some better opps (Jk please don't x).

• Haha
Reactions: 31
I wonder what she'll do for work in the future?
I saw a guy who had a recurring role in Neighbours working as an usher at the cinema not that long after he left the show.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 34
So she's asking for PayPal donations on her Twitter directly now?!

that's the tipjar feature that's being rolled out to content creators. which has to be enabled, it's not automatic and i still haven't been seen on any other accounts!

Reactions: 45
The mistakes are throughout the article too. Apparently you turn the oven to 180 o C, I assume she means 180°c.

The peach buns contain pears and no peaches. She does that thing again, says roll out dough, cut into 12, then says "repeat until all dough is used up". But it only makes 12, so it is all used up already. It doesn't make sense.

You leave the peach peach drizzle cake to cool completely, next paragraph says the cake should be warm when you are icing it. "If you would like a little more moisture in the cake, punch holes in it and pour boiled down juice into the holes." The cake is dryer than a **** *****, there is no question about whether it needs more moisture or not.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 62
That is a LOT of stuff she’s been given!

I have a table and chairs (second hand when my mum bought them in the 80s), a bedside table that was my mother’s when she was a child, then passed on to me (both extensively painted and repainted as they’ve been carted around). Oh and I used to have an old bed and a now long dead futon, bought for me, from when I properly moved out for the last time.

IT IS COMPLETELY NORMAL TO HAVE PASS ME DOWNS!

Unless you’re a massive old money snob who looks down on people who have sort out their own furniture.
I think it shows how very middle class she is that she wants all furniture that she has bought. I like to think of my furniture as “inherited” 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 38
How old was she when she wrote this book? I had loads of second hand furniture given to me (gratefully) right up until my early 30s (not a piano though) We decked out pretty much our entire house in hand me downs and sub par furniture we bought from an auction (total cost £1000) and lived with the majority of that until we were close to 40. We were both working professionals. I am literally this week smashing up 2 god awful pine sets of drawers, that never opened or closed properly, we got in that auction haul 20+ years ago. I’m guessing she was in her mid 20s at this stage? Ffs, check your privilege witch! Also stop “perching” on the chest you twit, you has a sofa someone gave you!
I managed to buy a pine double bed and a microwave when I bought my first flat around 35 years ago. My parents gave me their old conservatory furniture and bought me a washer dryer as a present. I was a Cub Leader in the church scout group: another leader rescued an MFI chest of drawers from a skip for me and fixed it up with spare screws for coffin handles, and the church gave me the cooker when they sold off a church hall. I was a university graduate just starting out and I was bloody grateful for the lot. Who the hell expects to move into a house full of top quality furniture and appliances? (My jaw drops when I see some wedding list expectations though 😲🤯)

• Heart
Reactions: 48
I bet SB was never allowed to play the piano, it was only for muma to twinkle out her sorrows, by ear of course, smol pixie is like a slimy sponge, forever absorbing FACTS and skills.

Hot take; the book has been cancelled coz she missed alllllll the deadlines, tenancy not renewed by landady on crappy bungalow, every collab are like nah within a week with her, sb has chosen to live with his dad, and no lady love in her life. I think Jack hit her nadir. Hence the now 7 week stay in hotel, supposed therapy etc, she needs to be careful as she'll piss through any savings she has left, (no future home!) and is on her coffers and bleeping desperate. Shill shill grift.

I'd feel more bad, but that's karma, Jack.

• Heart
Reactions: 50
Also its extremely privileged to be given a PIANO ffs. Most people make do with a keyboard 🙄
Ummmmm..... I did. But only because my aunt was moving into a smaller modern flat from her tenement, I was the only one left in the family who could play, and as students we rented an absolutely ginormous flat at the back of a suburban mansion where the landing was the size of a London pied a terre. It was bought by my great-grandfather in Victorian times and now lives in my spare bedroom as there's no room anywhere else.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Ah true blue Chicester ..Tory majority 21,000+ just the sort of demographic she would want as queen of the povs ...believe me people in that part of the world would be buying their cakes from M&S and Waitrose ...my maternal side of the fam is from that part of the world but fun fact iirc it's where Dame Patricia 'Hyacinth Bucket'Routledge lives ...

Reactions: 26
I think she'll bounce back with a smash-hit single with help from her band Panic! In the Kitchen. The song is called I Write Slops, Not Recipes.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
Ummmmm..... I did. But only because my aunt was moving into a smaller modern flat from her tenement, I was the only one left in the family who could play, and as students we rented an absolutely ginormous flat at the back of a suburban mansion where the landing was the size of a London pied a terre. It was bought by my great-grandfather in Victorian times and now lives in my spare bedroom as there's no room anywhere else.
Oh I don't begrudge anyone being given one! It's just the way Jack spins it as if she's been hard done by for being given one rather than bought one, when for many owning one would not be accessible.

Reactions: 29
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.