Jack Monroe #190 The sloppening

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We're on the old THTC system that was put in throughout the Highlands years ago. It stands for Total Heating with Total Control, we have two separate electricity meters on two separate rates, one has all the storage heaters/panel heaters on it and the other has everything else. I can turn the heating on or off at the wall and set the storage heaters to boost us in the morning or the evening, but other than that, SSE has control of that circuit and they choose when power is supplied to it depending on the forecast for our area. We get between 5 and 12 hours a day of power to it. The other circuit is unrestricted, but it's charged at a higher rate than their standard rate, while the heating circuit is supposed to be at a very low rate, but it was 7.65p/kwh when we first moved here 13 years ago and is now up to 16.73p/kwh for the heating circuit, 20.6p/kwh for the other circuit and 27.49p per day for the standing charge.

Until recently it was impossible to switch away from without getting your circuits rewired because no other company would touch the two meter system, but they've recently managed to overcome that, so I can have a look at switching - but they're ending support for these meters soon and will be swapping everyone over to a single meter system, so I might as well hold on and get them to do the work (plus we're hoping to do a lot of work on our house early next year, including getting an air source heat pump and full central heating fitted), although goodness knows what they'll switch me to, as I'm in an area where smart meters don't work (no signal). The meter at my holiday cottage down the road is an old key meter I've been trying to get swapped out for three years, it broke over Christmas and I'm now getting free electricity there while they try and figure out what to do. They do have a small stock of old meters, but their protocols say I can't have one of those unless the power goes off and five months later, the power still hasn't gone off! According to a friendly SSE engineer I spoke to, I've done my bit in informing them of the problem in the first place and all they can legally bill me for is the daily standing charge when they finally sort it out.

Sorry, off-topic rant about ancient Highland heating systems over...

I was quite perplexed by your charging structure, but fortunately found this great gif which explained it all. (@Harrybosch ❤)

• Haha
Reactions: 73
After reading these posts I have 'See My Vest' in my head.

See my vest, see my vest
Made from real gorilla chest

Like my loafers? Former gophers
Grizzly bear underwear

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 55
This part is just bonkers.

I can’t hear the phrase “in a world“ without hearing it in the movie trailer man’s voice.

Plus this, “my world is defined by the love and generosity of my friends, and the contents of my bin shed”. Bin shed? WTF?!

View attachment 579313
That is a LOT of stuff she’s been given!

I have a table and chairs (second hand when my mum bought them in the 80s), a bedside table that was my mother’s when she was a child, then passed on to me (both extensively painted and repainted as they’ve been carted around). Oh and I used to have an old bed and a now long dead futon, bought for me, from when I properly moved out for the last time.

IT IS COMPLETELY NORMAL TO HAVE PASS ME DOWNS!

Unless you’re a massive old money snob who looks down on people who have sort out their own furniture.

• Heart
Reactions: 49
The only architects and lawyers I knew at 22 were either my friend’s parents or my parent’s friends. Pretty sure you wouldn’t even qualify by 22. It’s a really long course. Maybe it’s because I wasn’t diagnosed as gifted that I had age-appropriate friends.

• Haha
Reactions: 47
How old was she when she wrote this book? I had loads of second hand furniture given to me (gratefully) right up until my early 30s (not a piano though) We decked out pretty much our entire house in hand me downs and sub par furniture we bought from an auction (total cost £1000) and lived with the majority of that until we were close to 40. We were both working professionals. I am literally this week smashing up 2 god awful pine sets of drawers, that never opened or closed properly, we got in that auction haul 20+ years ago. I’m guessing she was in her mid 20s at this stage? Ffs, check your privilege witch! Also stop “perching” on the chest you twit, you has a sofa someone gave you!
Babe, same.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Also its extremely privileged to be given a PIANO ffs. Most people make do with a keyboard 🙄

• Heart
Reactions: 48
She's hyacinth bucket. This my sister violet, with mercedes, swimming pool and room for a pony.

But because she's not as classy it's all about the size of the telly. This is my mate beryl she's got a 50 inch telly, 5 cotswolds and the drives a car with the same reg as the queen.
Jack Monroe: drives a car with the same reg as the Queen
for an illegal early thread title nomination, this really tickled me today @Lanie

• Haha
Also its extremely privileged to be given a PIANO ffs. Most people make do with a keyboard 🙄
I know right?!
'My life is so hard, my piano is second hand' - I don't think that would get the squiggles onto her Patreon somehow!

• Haha
Reactions: 52
Reading those book extracts she sounds completely removed from reality! Just no clue as to how most people live.

• Heart
I've always felt that anyone who could shift over £3k (or whatever it was) at a second hand sale in their early 20s has spunked way too much money up the wall.
Even most family homes would likely struggle to make that much, there’s just not really an established resell / second hand market in the UK outside of charity shops or re gifting Facebook pages tbh?

I LOVE eBay for unusual bits (so ur house doesn’t look like a Cotswolds catalogue....) but it’s so trend led that anything outside of the current Instagram interiors vibe goes for just pounds. You have to pay ppl to take sofas or furniture away from your house, no one wants to buy it. Just really struggle to believe she’d have made over £300, obviously dad paid her the rest.

• Haha
Reactions: 42
My kids were lucky enough to benefit from the child trust funds that the government used to give to kids when they were born, and I put money in for them every month. I wouldn't dream of buying either of them a 5K watch though- the money will be for study or a house deposit I hope.

I just watched all of Unforgotten too, after a recommendation here- loved it. We are watching Luther next. I am officially homesick so cheering myself up with British Crime.

I have seen a couple of episodes of Luter years ago, but had forgotten them. In the first episode there is a crime where the gun is hidden in a dog which is subsequently cremated, and then the gun is discovered in the Urn by the eponymous hero. My huband could not suspend his disbelief for this bit.
That's reminded me of that Hannibal episode.

"Peter, is your social worker in that horse?"

I bloody love that show.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
She's hyacinth bucket. This my sister violet, with mercedes, swimming pool and room for a pony.

But because she's not as classy it's all about the size of the telly. This is my mate beryl she's got a 50 inch telly, 5 cotswolds and the drives a car with the same reg as the queen.
She is Hyacinth Bucket because she had a long suffering Postman too!

• Haha
Reactions: 35
That is a LOT of stuff she’s been given!

I have a table and chairs (second hand when my mum bought them in the 80s), a bedside table that was my mother’s when she was a child, then passed on to me (both extensively painted and repainted as they’ve been carted around). Oh and I used to have an old bed and a now long dead futon, bought for me, from when I properly moved out for the last time.

IT IS COMPLETELY NORMAL TO HAVE PASS ME DOWNS!

Unless you’re a massive old money snob who looks down on people who have sort out their own furniture.
When I moved into my first flat I was offered a dining table and chairs that were otherwise going in the skip. 25 years later I find myself the owner of a beautiful ercol elm wood drop leaf table and chairs! I also have my great grandmas chest of drawers and my nana’s Lloyd loom chair and bedside cabinets. I love hand me downs!!

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 46
Or one of these
33D75CB1-03C6-4A8F-A8A0-BCD7F36DF488.jpeg
(which would have been more than adequate for Jack’s one-handed concertos)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 58
It's weird to me that Jack associates brand new furniture with being posh. I'd say it's the opposite. Some of the poshest people I know have furniture that has been handed down from grandparents, and will have ancient sofas and quirky, mismatched stuff. The only friends of mine who have brand new furniture and perfect all-grey decor would probably describe themselves as working class.

Also, when you're in your 20s, you're kind of supposed to live in slight squalor. You just chuck Indian-y looking throws over everything and hope for the best.

• Haha
Reactions: 62
Also, when you're in your 20s, you're kind of supposed to live in slight squalor. You just chuck Indian-y looking throws over everything and hope for the best.
Shoved many a throw over the minging leather couches you find in most RENTED properties.

• Haha
Reactions: 46
Shoved many a throw over the minging leather couches you find in most RENTED properties.
Yessssss! My first rented house share we had a saggy salmon coloured one that came with the place. Always chucked an ill fitting throw over it 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.