Jack Monroe #190 The sloppening

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
At least she’s slumming it and keeping it real with her beloved Casio calculator watch these days 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
The watch thing still staggers me to be honest. How anyone can claim to be from a poor working class family and have a 4 grand watch on their wrist....

It's an absolutely ludicrously expensive (and in my opinion, pointless) gift. Especially since she's always going on about losing and breaking things too.

I can't even remember what I got for my 21st tbh.

Reactions: 33
OT just remembered I dreamt about Mr Osman last night. I went out on a date with him. *sighs*
I dreamt about Armie Hammer taking too long in a loo I needed to use and when I went in it was full of spiders and spiderwebs. Analyse that Freud!!!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 31
Well. I don’t know where to start. I followed the recipe exactly to the letter which included not rinsing the jackfruit, peeling the ginger or adding salt to the pattie mix.
View attachment 578322
I have tested THOUSANDS of cookbook recipes so I know I didn’t do anything wrong but I still do not believe that my sauce could possibly be the same as Jack’s. It’s a completely different colour and texture and didn’t achieve anything like the texture of ‘posh ketchup’, although to be fair neither does
the sauce in Jack’s picture. I’ve got a video of my trying to drop the sauce off the spoon in the Wily Coyote fashion described, but I can’t see how to post it

Honestly it came out much better than I expected, that is to say, it was edible. I really didn’t think the patties would hold together at all but although they were a bit fragile they did. The sauce looks nothing like Jack’s but it tasted OK. The patties were very odd, they managed to taste of tin and brine but equally no seasoning at all. I used the same brand of jackfruit as Jack. It definitely needed a good rinse and either more soy or more salt. I thought 1/2tsp of dried herbs would totally disappear but I could still taste that slightly dusty flavour (they aren’t old).

So it didn’t taste too bad. But I had no idea what to serve it with. I tried to get something that looked like Jack’s so I could show off my GIFTED dish so I cooked some orzo with spinach and coriander. But, even though I am only very smol and 100% vegan but alas not a bodybuilder, even with a reasonable portion of orzo I had to eat 2 patties, 2 pineapple slices and most of the sauce, and I am still not full, because it contains almost no protein, and no carbs (without my orzo addition). This is making me feel greedy and I’m very glad I have a healthy relationship with food.

It’s cheaper for a whole pineapple in Aldi than it is for a tiny tin of Del Monte, though I fully appreciate that tinned is more convenient and you do need sharp knives and a bit of skill to tackle a whole one. But I certainly could have used an own brand version. Even using Jack’s questionable pricing it was £1.50 without the orzo addition.

In retrospect I’d have made only half but I didn’t want to have half a tin of jackfruit leftover or have to measure half the juice. I can’t say I’m looking forward to leftovers even though it was a lot better than I expected.View attachment 578336View attachment 578338View attachment 578339

I’d be lying if I said I’m not gutted that that recipe sort of worked. It’s ruined my whole evening.
Now it makes sense why in Jack's picture, the pattie was hidden.

Not pretty.

• Haha
Reactions: 39
I have a question why didn't she save for her forever home while she was on that big wage. She didn't have a child then so all of her money was her own.

The way she talks about home ownership you'd think it would have been one of the first things she would have done.

• Angry
Reactions: 43
I have a question why didn't she save for her forever home while she was on that big wage. She didn't have a child then so all of her money was her own.

The way she talks about home ownership you'd think it would have been one of the first things she would have done.
And why did she work in a club in the evenings? Can you do that when you are working shifts for the fire service?

• Angry
Reactions: 39

She expects to be given/gifted/inherit/obtain by marriage, she doesn’t want/expect to pay

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 41
Richard osman states he can’t work with people with huge ego's, surprised he is so pally with mackie, ego the size of a planet 🌎
I would volunteer him not actually knowing her at all - with his main exposure being the odd newspaper article and her “campaigning” on Twitter, in much the same way that most blue tickers know her. Maybe bumped into, at awards or in a studio somewhere but certainly not friends!

I was curious about her “I’m here but not here and I will be scheduling recipes posts for the foreseeable” statement (not the first time she has stated this). The last recipe she shared with their 300k+ audience and sponsors was on April 4th and it was the sponsored post for lemon peach drizzle cake. She has shared those pics of paella (and fished for subs) and the Mediterranean veg tin bricks, but no recipes forthcoming. Food writer. Ok, ducky.

Reactions: 43
She expects to be given/gifted/inherit/obtain by marriage, she doesn’t want/expect to pay
Agreed but this adds to my confusion tbh. I’m a paid up subscriber to the importance of building intergenerational wealth & actively working on a plan for 👶🏼 but I cannot imagine a £4k watch ever forming part of this, especially before property? Also surely a family gifting £4k will have saved for that child too?

Tbh she’s probably had multiple house deposits gifted to her over the years but we’ve all seen her love of utter tat

Reactions: 49
That's precisely it. And she's clearly frivolous with money, so no doubt the money she did earn then just got splashed around on all the luxuries she likes to surround herself with.

The watch thing still staggers me to be honest. How anyone can claim to be from a poor working class family and have a 4 grand watch on their wrist....

Perhaps daddy has a lot of luck with puddles too? 🙃

• Haha
Reactions: 35
Also if I was really really wanting a "forever home" I would get myself into a job that has a regular salary to save in order to do so. Freelance is great and all but not reliable as a source of income.

Reactions: 32
And why did she work in a club in the evenings? Can you do that when you are working shifts for the fire service?
My BIL is a fireman (not a call operator) and it's pretty common for them to pick up other jobs on their rest days to top up their salaries. For example, he's a garden landscaper.

Reactions: 33
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.