Jack Monroe #186 The bromelain in canned pineapple is denatured

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Some food for thought. My youngest met a Gamer YouTuber last week, just by coincidence. Got a selfie with him and was very excited. Apparently he has over 10 million YouTube subscribers and millions of followers on all social media. He is 17 and larks about whilst playing Minecraft. Her tweet about it got over 10,000 likes. Jack truly is a very small and increasingly irrelevant fish in the Pacific that is social media but I think we (well, I do, for sure!) forget that sometimes. Her lack of support for Marcus and Tom is more annoying to us than anyone else - most don’t or wouldn’t even put Jack in the same breath or thought as worldwide footballing legend that is Marcus, or Michelin starred, prime time TV presenter and proper, actual chef that is Tom.

Also - whilst our Jack increases her engagement stats with absolute nonsense (and repetitive, boring nonsense at that), Ruby gets an featured article in the New Yorker, no less. It’s amazing what a little tv exposure AND hard work/reliability etc can achieve. And not being an absolute lazy grifter!

Attachments

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 68
Having a clean up on my computer and I forgot I found this Blog article by JM's dad. It's from 2012, right when Jack was claiming full poverty, read the last question/answer. Her timelines just don't add up!!! By Jack's timeline she and SB were homeless and struggling to eat, but by her dad's timeline they were off skating and eating out......

Make it make sense!!!

“They say that life is what happens while you are waiting for something to happen. Not on my Watch!!”

Can Jack BE anymore her Dad?!

• Haha
Reactions: 58
Thank goodness the confectionary stories stopped just short of full circle from Marianne Faithfull all the way back to JM's bestie, Debbie McGee.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 30
“They say that life is what happens while you are waiting for something to happen. Not on my Watch!!”

Can Jack BE anymore her Dad?!

I am not sure if I can remember seeing a picture of him before but they definitely have the same slightly dead behind the eyes look about them both. A bit disconcerting. And yes - Jacks “and then they all clapped and cheered” type of storytelling is definitely as inherited as her eyes!

• Haha
Reactions: 42
Having a clean up on my computer and I forgot I found this Blog article by JM's dad. It's from 2012, right when Jack was claiming full poverty, read the last question/answer. Her timelines just don't add up!!! By Jack's timeline she and SB were homeless and struggling to eat, but by her dad's timeline they were off skating and eating out......

Make it make sense!!!

Jack has two much younger foster siblings, so I suppose Mean Dad was busy skating and eating out with them while, just down the road, Jack and SB starved in a lightbulbless executive flat.

Imagine the phone call:

"Hi Jack, we're going to the park, do you two want to come?"

"I can't today, Dad, I'm pawning the TV so I can afford Weetabix."

"Right you are then. Maybe next week."

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 85
This was the night she fugue tweeted the whole salad bar menu. I’m at odds as to share it again here as it almost did a lot of us in the first time 😂

ETA- looking at it with new eyes, I’m convinced it was more and went on for longer. Maybe it just felt like that at the time.
Was this around the time she went out to meet someone for tea with her Boy cap on and treated all the burglars to pictures of her internal locks?

Or did she just go to the Harvester that night? ‘Kinell, I’m boring myself just typing this 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 45
Was this around the time she went out to meet someone for tea with her Boy cap on and treated all the burglars to pictures of her internal locks?

Or did she just go to the Harvester that night? ‘Kinell, I’m boring myself just typing this 😂
I mean, The Effing Harvester, it still makes no sense. Talk about gauche, darling.

• Haha
Reactions: 33
Also - whilst our Jack increases her engagement stats with absolute nonsense (and repetitive, boring nonsense at that), Ruby gets an featured article in the New Yorker, no less. It’s amazing what a little tv exposure AND hard work/reliability etc can achieve. And not being an absolute lazy grifter!
It's because Ruby - unlike Jack - can actually *write*. And incidentally, Jack's little threads of Harvester salad bar items / COVID fugue state food memories are a blatant copy of old Ruby threads, where she lovingly listed her fave foods - the difference being, Ruby's threads were totally authentic and quite lovely.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 54
Jack has two much younger foster siblings, so I suppose Mean Dad was busy skating and eating out with them while, just down the road, Jack and SB starved in a lightbulbless executive flat.

Imagine the phone call:

Or another conversation:-
"Hey Evelyn, our Jack is having a yard sale selling off everything 'cause she can't afford jam. I've read all about it on Facebook. Do you think we should go and buy some of the stuff to help her out?"

"No. Who the hell wants all that junk shop tat?"

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 65
I am not sure if I can remember seeing a picture of him before but they definitely have the same slightly dead behind the eyes look about them both. A bit disconcerting. And yes - Jacks “and then they all clapped and cheered” type of storytelling is definitely as inherited as her eyes!
I was going to add that Fack's dad is what she's going to look like when she's in her 60s or 70s...really similar!
Can anyone else see it?
Screenshot_20210501-103620_Chrome.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 41
Or another conversation:-
"Hey Evelyn, our Jack is having a yard sale selling off everything 'cause she can't afford jam. I've read all about it on Facebook. Do you think we should go and buy some of the stuff to help her out?"

"No. Who the hell wants all that junk shop tat?"
"Baz from work reckons he saw our Jack out on a street corner last night. I can't believe it, but he says it looked like she was on the game! Should we give her a ring?"

"Nah. The kids want to go skating. We can't disappoint them!"

• Haha
Reactions: 61

Imagine the phone call:

On another angst ridden, poverty trek with a crying toddler in one hand and CV clenched in the other, our downtrodden heroine passes a cheery, warm Spud-U-Like and catches a glimpse of happy new family. With noses pressed firmly to the glass in a futile attempt to inhale the heady aromas within a Small boy whimpered "no taytos MamaPapa?" and with an broken spirit, our fragile protagonist pulled away and replied in a smol, shaking voice "No child, no taytos today..thems not for the likes of us" before turning once more into the cold, hard streets of Southend. The unforgiving rain that met them hiding the solitary tear that ran down her cheek.

<end scene>.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 76
The other big difference is that Ruby genuinely thinks that the things she writes about are bigger and more important than she is, and it shows - she is genuinely trying to amplify other voices. This for example is a really superb piece about race, class, food, how to live in cities and growing stuff - all issues Jack has touched on in order to amplify Jack:

• Heart
Reactions: 44
I really don't get the youtube hype. My kid sometimes puts that annoying kid Ryan on. He's like a millionaire with toys and magazines and all sorts of crap. Must be so down heartening to the smol pixie that she had none of this .

• Haha
Reactions: 23
My question who get the more expensive ring?
I think Jack’s manicured hands are on top with the half-decent emerald cut trilogy ring.

LJC is underneath with the cheapo H Samuel cluster diamond special that’s at least half a size too small.

• Haha
Reactions: 32
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.