Jack Monroe #186 The bromelain in canned pineapple is denatured

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes, and proudly a para in Belfast.
I don’t think he was though, he was a gunner/in the gunners ( 🤷‍♀️ ) — only Jack ever claimed the para connection (elevenerifing her own father’s career...)

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 32
The other big difference is that Ruby genuinely thinks that the things she writes about are bigger and more important than she is, and it shows - she is genuinely trying to amplify other voices. This for example is a really superb piece about race, class, food, how to live in cities and growing stuff - all issues Jack has touched on in order to amplify Jack:

Oh, he was lovely. Sent me loads of seeds after chatting online about the soil conditions/aspect of my house and what he'd seen growing on the site before it was developed.

Had a friend visit today to fix the loo - he left with some Dill, Nasturtium and Sage seeds that were harvested from plants that were grown from the ones I'd been sent. And a big bag of dried Rosemary (labelled as such in case of a stop and search) with some fresh nipped off the bush still growing like mad out front. Esiah's legacy is far greater in a ridiculously short time than anything JM could ever wish for.

• Heart
Reactions: 46
If they are in a relationship, I suspect the lack of acknowledgment has been pitched as hiding it from/not attracting trolls towards LJC. Which ofc it wouldn’t but it sounds reasonable on the surface.
Suits them both to keep it on the DL, though. Jack for her ~poverty~ reasons and LJC for the sheer embarrassment factor.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 54
I don’t think he was though, he was a gunner/in the gunners ( 🤷‍♀️ ) — only Jack ever claimed the para connection (elevenerifing her own father’s career...)
There’s also a whole thing on her wiki edits about whether he was decorated in the Falklands as she’s claimed or not. Though to grudgingly be fair to Jack, as a non-military Frau, the internet does seem to imply people generally disagree on what counts as decorated.

Reactions: 22
I’d never read her Wikipedia before, this is a Bobby Dazzler...
54D215F1-F6BC-47C4-95CB-118C13042D86.jpeg

Jack of all trades?? Is she being serious?? If she’d left the “and master of none” at the end it would have been much more apt

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 58
what makes it brown?!

Apparently this is the reason!

• Wow
Reactions: 20

Apparently this is the reason!
that is hilarious! I also love ale being considered a "feminine" drink :LOL: wish I had known about this when I Went there, I would love to try it for the novelty

Reactions: 21
Like Jack claiming that she can cook?
I didn't realise her food was so bad. Until I looked at photos. My mum and gran taught us how to cook nutritious cheap meals (genuine working class). I taught my kids how to cook. Both has flown the nest. First cookery book I bought them when they left home was Delia Smith. I was on income support early 2000 when my ex husband and I split up, had a child in primary and a baby of a few months. Income support wasn't luxurious, but it was doable on it for food, clothing and saving for Birthdays and Christmas was vouchers paid for weekly. I went back to work part time and claimed housing benefit and some income support to top my money up. Income support supplied milk tokens that meant I didnt need to pay for baby milk. I don't know why 10/11 years later Jack couldn't survive on income support. UC from the stories I've read and my eldest child's friends group is hard to survive on with or without kids. I'm glad it isn't me or my kids relying on benefits.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
There’s also a whole thing on her wiki edits about whether he was decorated in the Falklands as she’s claimed or not. Though to grudgingly be fair to Jack, as a non-military Frau, the internet does seem to imply people generally disagree on what counts as decorated.
Probably a campaign medal (the South Atlantic, I think it's called). My Granddad called his Squeak and Wilfred the 'thanks for joining in prize' to me and the 'thanks now fuckoff' to his mates at the Village club. Not decorated, which is something different (ie, awarded for something more remarkable than being there and managing to not get killed - Mr D's Granddad called his naval ones something similar 'Congratulations for not sinking'

• Heart
Reactions: 32
My grandfather was the poshest man ever and, as well as an OBE, was a Lieutenant Colonel and had a Burma Star medal. I think it means he served there- my mum says he never spoke about it. I never heard him described as decorated. (He is DEAD).

• Heart
Reactions: 39
that is hilarious! I also love ale being considered a "feminine" drink :LOL: wish I had known about this when I Went there, I would love to try it for the novelty
I remember asking for a a vodka and white ( lemonade) once in an English pub the barman looked at me like I was a weirdo. It's quite common with old people so perhaps the smol pixie had it at her Nana's.

• Haha
Reactions: 33
Careful you don’t awaken the kraken with all this talk of brown lemonade, we’ll have PandaPops Jack among us if we’re not careful

1619879364774.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
UOTE="Lanie, post: 4799816, member: 42247"]
I remember asking for a a vodka and white ( lemonade) once in an English pub the barman looked at me like I was a weirdo. It's quite common with old people so perhaps the smol pixie had it at her Nana's.
[/QUOTE]

Had similar when I asked for a glass of white lemonade in a pub when I first went to uni, much confusion with the barman mentioning they didn't have White's lemonade. I quickly learnt English pubs only had 1 colour of lemonade.

• Haha
Reactions: 35
My grandfather was the poshest man ever and, as well as an OBE, was a Lieutenant Colonel and had a Burma Star medal. I think it means he served there- my mum says he never spoke about it. I never heard him described as decorated. (He is DEAD).
Yes, awarded to British and Commonwealth forces who served in the Burma Campaign from 1941 to 1945.

Reactions: 29
Hello to all you mithering ninnies.
I AM BACK

Jack Monroe has also been very quiet in my absence.
Does this mean I might be Jack after all?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 52
If they are in a relationship, I suspect the lack of acknowledgment has been pitched as hiding it from/not attracting trolls towards LJC. Which ofc it wouldn’t but it sounds reasonable on the surface.
Yep. Pure speculation of course, but I am imagining it has something to do with the fact that people will be less willing to donate their winter fuel allowance to a patreon run by the girlfriend/wife of the head of channel 4 news. And they might be wondering why Jack is scraping around doing £20 shops while in a relationship with a someone on a six figure salary.

But of course they’re just bubble buddies so none of this applies right?

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 50
UOTE="Lanie, post: 4799816, member: 42247"]
Had similar when I asked for a glass of white lemonade in a pub when I first went to uni, much confusion with the barman mentioning they didn't have White's lemonade. I quickly learnt English pubs only had 1 colour of lemonade.
[/QUOTE]
it is so funny how niche this brown lemonade thing is, I have learned so many random things from this thread :LOL: is it just northern ireland or also the republic?

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.