Jack Monroe #182 Extraneous brine

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think people need to move away from seeing food poverty as one particular thing (which affects one “type” of person)
One thing I liked about Jack 8n the old days was the microwave food ideas - I did swap porridge oat cups for a reusable pot with oats and milk powder. Someone moved to “temporary accommodation” aka a hotel has different needs than someone who has a kitchen but sudden loss of income, or someone who has a kitchen but limited skills and limited money for gas/electric.
Even if there was a “one size fits all” answer Jack wouldn’t be it. Really there should be campaigning attached (hello Marcus) for instance families living in hotels should be given enough money/vouchers to eat out (not mc’ds) or delivery food for evening meal, etc.
Totally agree, I have, fortunately, never been in poverty, but one of my big annoyances with Jack is that she was in this situation SO long ago that so much has changed, first of all in benefits but then also in food bank provision. And then she acts as if she can talk for everyone in food poverty when she has no experience, like you have said, of someone without a hob etc... yet criticises anyone who isn't poor for doing anything, it is really enfuriating

Reactions: 39
Honesty, major phew moment with other Fraus getting the same creepy copying!!!

Sort of doing a Jack by using my Schizophrenia as an excuse, but, it can make me think people are reading my thoughts and 'stealing my soul', so that the more someone copies the less real I am. I mean, it's bizarre, and that's why it's a MH issue lol! The christ on a bike comment just jarred me and I had a funny moment mentally. Thank you dear cabal for reassuring my mental nonsense as nonsense ♥

• Heart
Reactions: 64
A fab chef/home economist I follow on Instagram shared this on her stories earlier... no sign of the smol one!
901E1AAF-820B-40E6-995E-3F3E499D0027.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 65
Our local food bank has provisions packs for homeless and boarding house/ hotel users. Cereal, milk, juice, tea and coffee with a wee spoon and bowl. They also keep packs of socks and blankets for rough sleepers so anyone can come in and at least have drier feet. I know it's been said before but if Jack really cared she could take one day off Twitter and help organise and pack essential things for actual people in desperate need.

We also have a not for profit called Pinch-a-Poo (cute!). They urge people to take the little freebies from hotels and donate them. They're then packed and sent to food banks. Such a great idea.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
She doesn’t follow MF either...
She's unfollowed him recently then, i’m sure it was mentioned in the threads when she eventually followed him after he emerged with his campaign last year. Her squiggles were tagging her in his comments.

Reactions: 25
She's unfollowed him recently then, i’m sure it was mentioned in the threads when she eventually followed him after he emerged with his campaign last year. Her squiggles were tagging her in his comments.
Sorry to be dense but who's MF?

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I follow them both and they don’t show ‘accounts you both follow’ Idk

Reactions: 9
Quoting myself which is terrible form but I’ve been thinking about this since.

I think it’s one of the many (unintentionally?) harmful things Jack does actually, making people think that when you go to a food bank you get such a random assortment of food that you’d need to resort to the myriad of bizarre combinations she invents.

It will potentially put people off going to them because they’ll think “what’s the point if I’m getting all of that random tit” when actually 99.9% of them have really put a lot of thought into what they hand out and have a lot of sensible, practical suggestions for what to do with their packages without resorting to her crappy slop. It’s like she can’t resist undermining everything under the guise of being helpful.
Exactly this, like I said in my original post, I’ve never been in the position to have to use one so maybe I was wrong and her creative wacky recipes are perfect, but like you’ve said here that’s the problem, I mean the common sense in me told me it was mostly run of the mill stuff and the tins were on top of that, but this illustrates your point that for people who don’t know they perhaps would believe her narrative that food banks are filled with weird and wonderful random tins!

edited to add, I confess I don’t donate to a food bank or anything, but surely most normal people contribute things like beans? I know I would! Long life tins that don’t need a fridge, ravioli or baked beans or something. Surely most normal people don’t contribute things like kimchi or whatever else she cooks with??

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
Honesty, major phew moment with other Fraus getting the same creepy copying!!!

Sort of doing a Jack by using my Schizophrenia as an excuse, but, it can make me think people are reading my thoughts and 'stealing my soul', so that the more someone copies the less real I am. I mean, it's bizarre, and that's why it's a MH issue lol! The christ on a bike comment just jarred me and I had a funny moment mentally. Thank you dear cabal for reassuring my mental nonsense as nonsense ♥
You are so far from "doing a Jack" that there is no comparison at all lovely OB.
You are funny, bright, honest and kind.

Now duck off. 😁

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 32
honest to god, what a way to respond.They had plenty of time to tweet about tit in that time period before 9am.
The irony of it is, this is at the bottom of the thread where she was, just this morning, reassuring a Tory councillor that she was indeed involved in this project, and thanking said Tory councillor for her "support". So she had time to insert herself into the narrative but not to say anything about the actual initiative.

ETA She's also deleted the second her second snarky response from earlier, so TIME enough to do that!

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 61
The whole point about advocacy and campaigning on any issue is that it is about building a movement, getting people involved and getting publicity for your cause. You can't be precious even if you did 'invent' something, you just have to put your ego aside and let other people run with it for the greater good.

Can confirm no one knows who Jack is.. a few months back I used her as my 'go' on a very drunken game of Zoom charades. It took a really long time for anyone to get close and then when I was forced to reveal her name there was a sea of blank faces.
A few of my friends know of her but many of them do not. I have brought up some of the chaos and some of the cooking and people are like who? That sounds horrid. But they also say I've never heard of them.

• Haha
Reactions: 29
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.