Jack Monroe #182 Extraneous brine

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Was the 'treatment' last Thursday too? Who calls being in a clinic 'treatment'? Ah yes, someone who wants to cosplay having cancer.

I'm here for the total chaos that's looming over the fact her ego can't cope with someone else being a champion of cheap, nutritious food. So glad I'll be at home all night live watching.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 67
Honestly, I'd rather harvest honey from the next of African killer bees with my bare hands than spend one moment in her therapy group. Can you feckin imagine? Her therapists must be so stressed dealing with her.
Lady in the corner, clawing at the floor, muttering 'Marcus Rashford, Marcus Rashford' ominously.

• Haha
Reactions: 37
I feel so cross every time I think about someone getting a sad inedible meal from a food bank recipe. What a waste of precious food.

The thing with Jamie Oliver recipes is they never go wrong. Food bank recipes should be like this (minus expensive fancy ingredients). I would suggest for a family: tuna pasta bake, pasta with tomato sauce, curry and rice, risotto, chilli and rice. Meat free recipes are the cheapest, but spaghetti and meatballs is an easy favourite, and shepherds pie is ok if you have enough pans. When my kids were little and we were broke (not poor just maternity leave, mortgage, childcare etc took all the money) we ate stuff like this and frozen convenience foods like oven chips. We also mostly eat vegetarian so Linda McCartney sausages and quorn mince and stuff.

I feel like Jack over complicates the cooking, and forgets that little kids generally are picky (we get hints of this sometimes about SB).Nobody wants to be trying out weird new foods that might be rejected after a long day of school/ work.

• Heart
Reactions: 68
Perfectly reasonable to ask why she hasn't put her 'stupidly large platform' to use in this instance. Can't help but feel she was just waiting for someone to bring this up so she could be a smart arse.

• Heart
Reactions: 53
As other fraus have pointed out, Jack seems to think that low calorie, barely nutritious diarrhoea inducing slurry slop is ok for poor people. And that her fellow guardianistas think this is ok for people other than themselves too. I think it underlines how snobby and actually quite tory some of these people are.

In Jack's case I think it is a subtle thing but I think it's an example of 'othering'. She does it with various groups of people too. Definitely trans, autistic, BAME and I suspect gay people too. I get the feeling that she either subconsciously or consciously holds a bias due to her upbringing and wants to highlight differences and push these groups into the margins of society. She wants them to be shown as perpetually suffering or less than 'normal people'.
She is not about inclusivity, equality or respect. She sees these people as labels not humans and I hate that. I know she is gay and has tried to pass herself off under certain labels but I think she genuinely sees herself above all others even if she happens to be in one of those groups. It's incredibly damaging too because she exhibits dangerous behaviours and then uses various conditions/states of being as an excuse for sheer arseholity.

• Heart
Reactions: 57
I’ll tell you what I don’t get, and I hope I don’t say this in a way that offends, I should preface by saying I’ve never known poverty myself. But what I don’t get it if you were really poor, and literally had to buy a weeks worth of food for say £20, WHY would you buy ‘weird’/different stuff? (I can’t think of a better word than weird I hope you understand I don’t mean ‘weird’ I mean different, e.g. not run of the mill ordinary stuff you see on the shelves in supermarkets) If you were that desperate what’s wrong with a jacket potato and beans for example? If I didn’t have much money the last thing I’d be doing would be experimenting with kidney beans and pineapple curries. I’d stick to things I knew I liked and were cheap because I couldn’t afford to waste a penny on a recipe I’d never tried before. I understand part of her remit is dealing with what you get in a food bank, but yeah if I’m way off the mark here then as you were, scroll on by and ignore me haha just something I’ve been pondering since finding jack on here
Yes, exactly.

"“Would it not be better if they spent more money on wholesome things like oranges and wholemeal bread or if they even, like the writer of the letter to the New Statesman, saved on fuel and ate their carrots raw? Yes, it would, but the point is that no ordinary human being is ever going to do such a thing. The ordinary human being would sooner starve than live on brown bread and raw carrots. And the peculiar evil is this, that the less money you have, the less inclined you feel to spend it on wholesome food. A millionaire may enjoy breakfasting off orange juice and Ryvita biscuits; an unemployed man doesn't. Here the tendency of which I spoke at the end of the last chapter comes into play. When you are unemployed, which is to say when you are underfed, harassed, bored, and miserable, you don't want to eat dull wholesome food. You want something a little bit 'tasty'. There is always some cheaply pleasant thing to tempt you.”

- George Orwell, providing a sick burn on Jack back in 1937.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 65
I’ll tell you what I don’t get, and I hope I don’t say this in a way that offends, I should preface by saying I’ve never known poverty myself. But what I don’t get it if you were really poor, and literally had to buy a weeks worth of food for say £20, WHY would you buy ‘weird’/different stuff? (I can’t think of a better word than weird I hope you understand I don’t mean ‘weird’ I mean different, e.g. not run of the mill ordinary stuff you see on the shelves in supermarkets) If you were that desperate what’s wrong with a jacket potato and beans for example? If I didn’t have much money the last thing I’d be doing would be experimenting with kidney beans and pineapple curries. I’d stick to things I knew I liked and were cheap because I couldn’t afford to waste a penny on a recipe I’d never tried before. I understand part of her remit is dealing with what you get in a food bank, but yeah if I’m way off the mark here then as you were, scroll on by and ignore me haha just something I’ve been pondering since finding jack on here
you wouldn’t. You’d buy a giant bag of pasta for starters and do a tomato based sauce.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
One fine day she will say the wrong thing to the wrong person and all hell will let loose.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
I feel so cross every time I think about someone getting a sad inedible meal from a food bank recipe. What a waste of precious food.

The thing with Jamie Oliver recipes is they never go wrong. Food bank recipes should be like this (minus expensive fancy ingredients). I would suggest for a family: tuna pasta bake, pasta with tomato sauce, curry and rice, risotto, chilli and rice. Meat free recipes are the cheapest, but spaghetti and meatballs is an easy favourite, and shepherds pie is ok if you have enough pans. When my kids were little and we were broke (not poor just maternity leave, mortgage, childcare etc took all the money) we ate stuff like this and frozen convenience foods like oven chips. We also mostly eat vegetarian so Linda McCartney sausages and quorn mince and stuff.

I feel like Jack over complicates the cooking, and forgets that little kids generally are picky (we get hints of this sometimes about SB).Nobody wants to be trying out weird new foods that might be rejected after a long day of school/ work.
If it’s any consolation, from my experience of working in food banks🔺 I frankly don’t buy that many people are trying her recipes. The names and descriptions will put them off for exactly the reason you state, they won’t want to be trying weird new food (that often looks vile even in her pics) when they can make a tomato pasta that is simpler, quicker and know the kids will eat and enjoy.

• Heart
Reactions: 55
Meanwhile it is safe to say she will never now actually work with Marcus or Tom.
They were both probably warned about her awful twitter manner and followers.
Another own goal (a kicky ball reference for Jack) and yet another bridge burned.

• Heart
Reactions: 58
I’ve always wondered this too. Potatoes, veg, beans on toast, tasty and filling. We were not well off when I was a teenager, I fact we were quite poor but mum always made sure there was a tea on the table. Nothing fancy just staples. I too apologise if I’ve upset anyone or come across poorly.

• Heart
Reactions: 50
Even in a food bank you’re pretty much spot on. Every one will be different because you adjust to your demographic, but in non-covid times we had a core package that was basically the same for everyone (with small variations for veggie etc) then all the random stuff that was donated was on a shelf and people could take or leave it on top of the basic package.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
Yes, exactly.

"“Would it not be better if they spent more money on wholesome things like oranges and wholemeal bread or if they even, like the writer of the letter to the New Statesman, saved on fuel and ate their carrots raw? Yes, it would, but the point is that no ordinary human being is ever going to do such a thing. The ordinary human being would sooner starve than live on brown bread and raw carrots. And the peculiar evil is this, that the less money you have, the less inclined you feel to spend it on wholesome food. A millionaire may enjoy breakfasting off orange juice and Ryvita biscuits; an unemployed man doesn't. Here the tendency of which I spoke at the end of the last chapter comes into play. When you are unemployed, which is to say when you are underfed, harassed, bored, and miserable, you don't want to eat dull wholesome food. You want something a little bit 'tasty'. There is always some cheaply pleasant thing to tempt you.”

- George Orwell, providing a sick burn on Jack back in 1937.
yeah totally agree with this sentiment, if you are struggling, stressed about money (or anything really) you just want comfort foods as food is a (relatively) cheap way to (temporarily) cheer you up imo

• Heart
Reactions: 36
Meanwhile it is safe to say she will never now actually work with Marcus or Tom.
They were both probably warned about her awful twitter manner and followers.
Another own goal (a kicky ball reference for Jack) and yet another bridge burned.
she must surely have been blacklisted almost everywhere now, god knows the bbc would never work with her again, or channel 4

Reactions: 38
Trifle defender is on the case peeps.

Stand down.
Wait I can't see anything...

It’s a criminal offence to file company accounts late, for a start. But in practice, you’ll get fined (the fines can be pretty hefty). And after a certain period steps will be taken to strike off the company. You’d get warned about this and can stop the strike-off by submitting your accounts (and taking any other steps required). If your company is struck off, its assets are lost (but can be reclaimed through the courts provided you do this within a certain period).
Thank you for explaining this! I know people have been given extra time because of Covid... will be interesting to see what happens.

• Wow
Reactions: 29

Thank you for explaining this! I know people have been given extra time because of Covid... will be interesting to see what happens.
maybe she should be hiring an accountant rather than her "busy" lawyer? :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 30
I think she is spoiling for a fight today. I hope she gets her arse handed properly to her.

In this situation are people being given extra time if they have had Covid? If so, do they have to proving having had it? Jack would struggle to do that.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 38
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.