Jack Monroe #181 Time flies when you’re judging slop

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Morning, @Harrybosch, morning fraus unt herren - the the fox thing is about a blue ticker that Jack is sucking up to, Jo Maugham QC.

When an article opens with The lawyer Jolyon Maugham QC will not be prosecuted for clubbing a fox to death on Boxing Day morning while wearing his wife’s satin kimono, you just know you've stumbled into a parallel universe. Interesting to see that several Frauen have worked in social media and it left them pretty much traumatised. I have similar experiences. Nothing very dramatic, but it really is an upside down world and I'd rather stay away from it.

In my experience, kids/teens don't seem to be interested in Twitter, they're more likely to be using Insta and TikTok. Even FB seems to be a bit old hat now, according to my eldest anyway. Although I guess if SB is aware his mum has a big Twitter account and is always on it, he might have a nose.
Correct. Kids that age shouldn't be on any social media, but if there are it's TikTok and Insta.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 38
I assumed that the Twitter post was like those posts on Facebook of a teacher holding a sign saying “hi I’m a second grade teacher from Shitsville Kentucky and am teaching my students about internet safety and want to see how far and fast this picture can spread around the world”
I bet they share missing dog posts from Nowheresville, Indianapolis as well.

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Now now Poca, you are not Jack - you can use words correctly.

Touching on the As a Greek (cringe) thing, does anyone know if Jack's nan was Greek Cypriot too, or was it just their grandfather? Jack doesn't talk as much about their nan as their grandad, which makes me lean towards nan being English (so not so much of an exotic heritage for Jack to claim). Just wondering when Jack claims to be Greek, what percentages we are talking here 🙃.

Morning everyone ❤
Morning guys ❤

Nan was an English Tory as they happily depicted in that BBC radio drama & when Nissi recovers from the Omega sea master (this detail was published in her first book btw) and finds out they owned TWO hotels she will die.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 57
Thankyou @FlashBoof . Seems like Mr haircut is a twitter twit too. They do seem to find each other, don't they.
Oh I'm definitely stealing 'Twitter twit' to describe Jack et al. from now on. This can be the phrase that you can use to identify me in the real world! ;) On a more serious note, while reading the last thread, I was really moved by our social media professionals in the cabal sharing their experiences of what it's like to have to be 'very online'. I've come to realise that, for me, social media is best used to interact with my close pals. People like Jack and Mr Haircut QC love the fact that they can try and set the national conversation. I think they must get a real kick out of knowing that journalists use Twitter as a tool to eavesdrop on 'trending' conversations that are started by certain accounts on Twitter, or at least emphasised by them, and therefore try and worm their way into them to raise their profile. How many times have we seen Jack do this with any hot topic of conversation?

Reactions: 41
Morning, @Harrybosch, morning fraus unt herren - the the fox thing is about a blue ticker that Jack is sucking up to, Jo Maugham QC.

duck me sideways!

He wanted to talk about beating a healthy animal to death in a gentle depreciating way, and soz if anyone took it the wrong way.

bleep.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 43
Dearest cabal, I awoke this morning feeling like making granola. I have shunned my usual choices of cocao/sea salt and other maple syrup based delicacies &, in a quest to prove once and for all that I’m not Jack Monroe, tested a Jack Monroe recipe.

The choice: peanut butter granola. I immediately regretted this when I had to skim through some guff about her liking peanut butter but not owning a toaster.

The recipe calls for 30ml of unspecified oil (I used rapeseed as I only had that or olive), 4 tablespoons of peanut butter (again unspecified but I used Wholeearth crunchy as that was what I had in-fancy but no palm oil 🦧), 4 tbsp of golden syrup and (here’s the issue) 300g of rolled porridge oats.

Were the oats supposed to be rolled or porridge? I had no idea. But conveniently I only had around 150g (164 to be precise) of rolled oats so made the rest up with porridge oats <insert Tom Cruise gif>.

Followed process to the letter as follows.

51EB7B69-F4EB-4B52-85AA-572F63CE1259.jpeg
2366BEF9-0BFB-4A88-97F6-B41A434465FC.jpeg

From here the recipe was no longer a success. 300g was simply too many oats. Had I been making this myself without doing a recipe test I would have stopped at 200g and had reasonable clusters of granola. As it was I persisted.
F8A89E9F-2892-4266-BB53-86FBC91B9439.jpeg

I placed it in the oven for 15 minutes at 180 degrees. The recipe did not allow me to check on the granola or turn it so I did not (whilst this felt like stupidity I imagined I was a poor squiggle with no coolinary experience).

When it came out I can confirm that there were still too many oats in the recipe.
3F62C294-6B7B-4CFB-8D8D-AC553BF67E49.jpeg

I consumed a little with milk (oat) as the recipe suggests and it was incredibly bland with an odd aftertaste but the odd bit that had taken up enough peanut butter was okay. It certainly wasn’t inedible. The flavour was, unsurprisingly, better when served with a banana and some vanilla Alpro yoghurt.

If you make it (I recommend you don’t), put in fewer oats and only use rolled oats (perhaps remove the porridge bit from the recipe, Jack?) & it would be better.

To those waiting for the cinnamon granola...don’t.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 75
Honestly, it's a bit upsetting to see people here actually getting stressed over the pronoun thing when - six years after Jack came out as non-binary - jackmonroe.com, the Del Monte Instagram page, and United Agents all use she. The celeb reviews that accompany Jack's books on Amazon use she. Jack's Twitter bio changes all the time, and has a loose relationship with reality at the best of times.

TBH I may duck out for a bit, at least until the bio changes again...see you all this evening, then.
Can we have 'has a loose relationship with reality' as the next thread title?

• Haha
Reactions: 38
I’m not Jack.

I was briefly skint when my own SBs were little, at the exact same time as Jack. Like the fool that I am, I took advantage of things like children’s centres, cut my cloth accordingly, moaned about it to friends (many in the same predicament) and didn’t buy iPhones or expensive cameras to then sell repeatedly.

Never did it ever occur to me to make a niche 100 hour pw minimum wage career out of briefly having to use a hella lotta kidney beans in my cooking.

My kids used to share room with me because, to save money, I lived in a tiny one bedroom flat when they were little. Unlike dear heart Jackie, who simply needed her very small son to have his own bedroom, despite having no money for butter. My kids were packed in like sardines, but had lightbulbs, butter, AND dinosaurs.... the spoilt brats!

Mamapapa were not landlords, I had a genuinely working class upbringing. No blue land rover or chess championships for smol PP 😢

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 95
Oh I'm definitely stealing 'Twitter twit' to describe Jack et al. from now on. This can be the phrase that you can use to identify me in the real world! ;) On a more serious note, while reading the last thread, I was really moved by our social media professionals in the cabal sharing their experiences of what it's like to have to be 'very online'. I've come to realise that, for me, social media is best used to interact with my close pals. People like Jack and Mr Haircut QC love the fact that they can try and set the national conversation. I think they must get a real kick out of knowing that journalists use Twitter as a tool to eavesdrop on 'trending' conversations that are started by certain accounts on Twitter, or at least emphasised by them, and therefore try and worm their way into them to raise their profile. How many times have we seen Jack do this with any hot topic of conversation?
Twitter twattery is my bugbear at work at the moment. It's not the key component of my work but we are measured on engagement activity and they've tried to gamify it through an app, which I deliberately haven't downloaded. For an org that's partnered with an MH charity it seems like poor practice and I skirt around the lower levels of activity where I can't get pulled up for it. I work PT and could easily end up pissing away all my hours on SM if I wasn't strict about it. I've raised it and was told I curate my own feed, it's up to me what I see, which isn't how it works at all - usefully, Jack's experiment has proven this isn't the case.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
Just popping in briefly to say I’m not Jack. I’m very aware of my privilege tyvm, despite having grown up ‘poor’. And I got more than 4.5 GCSEs...

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
I find the fox incident very unfortunate for all the other work GLP does. His opponents always bring it up and run with it. I don't justify it, nor do I idolise Jo Maugham, but together with a few other organisations they are some of the few actually taking action against many of the abhorrent things the current government does (so in give them money each month, together with some similar and other orgs) Enough for me not to write GLP off on that Jo Maugham incident, though I can understand if people do.
It isn't so much the battering an animal to death, it is posting about it on social media for lols, then making a sorry not sorry apology.

Such a huge misjudgment makes questions about JM2's interegity inevitable. And it isn't something you can put down to an error caused by youth and inexperience.

Alhough it is something you can put down to JM2 being a bleep

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 40
Honestly, it's a bit upsetting to see people here actually getting stressed over the pronoun thing when - six years after Jack came out as non-binary - jackmonroe.com, the Del Monte Instagram page, and United Agents all use she. The celeb reviews that accompany Jack's books on Amazon use she. Jack's Twitter bio changes all the time, and has a loose relationship with reality at the best of times.

TBH I may duck out for a bit, at least until the bio changes again...see you all this evening, then.
Babe, same. Don't forget that Jack announced the non-binary thing and then accepted an award for "Woman of the Future". Her pronouns are as changeable as her haircuts, only weaponised like Medusa (Greek, like).

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 54
I use various SM platforms differently. FB is for catching up with friends, and for keeping in touch with people that I know but probably won’t ever see like those I went to school with. Twitter is mainly for work, there’s a large community of people in my profession, and those who are associated with it, and it’s a good place to debate issues and learn. I try to stay out of being contentious at all, and I deliberately limit my interactions there as my profession also has quite a strict code of professional conduct & I have previously got into trouble for breach of this (but I do occasionally resort to it to interact with companies as often it’s the only way to get them to respond)

Reactions: 24
I didn't realise Jack was only a quarter Greek! That's hilarious 😂 The neck of her calling herself Greek oh my god.

Does that make me a coal miner if my Bampi was one? Can't wait to claim that identiy for myself now *rattle rattle*

• Haha
Reactions: 51
She’s a quarter Greek and I think her dad was born here. It’s important to some people. I had one Hungarian grandmother. I barely think of it - would never call myself Hungarian etc. But she married an English man so the name disappeared. She made herself very British straight away and never went back. I have cousins in America who are completely obsessed with it. Same Grandmother but they have flags in their social media bios and called their kids Hungarian names and would call themselves Hungarian. I find it it odd but people need something to cling to I suppose.
I’m a quarter Austrian, a quarter Spanish and my dad was born in the Philipines.

Should I have been basing my whole persona on this all along? Does is make me more interesting?

• Haha
Reactions: 48
I’m a quarter Austrian, a quarter Spanish and my dad was born in the Philipines.

Should I have been basing my whole persona on this all along? Does is make me more interesting?
If you live where I live - yes, sadly.
Growing up the most 'interesting' people at school (in terms of popularity etc) were the ones with one or more parent from a different country. I remember in my primary school they were American, Italian, Jamaican and Jordanian. By secondary school I knew a lot of people clinging onto grandparents from other places as a way to make themselves 'unique' given the school was bigger and there was more diversity.
As often with Jack, they are stuck in their school days.

Reactions: 28
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.