Jack Monroe #178 I am a human being and I make mistakes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That's because she uses him to illustrate how hard she has it all the time. She has to outline every mortal task she does for him, that most of us don't even give a second thought to doing, as it gives her a long list to reel off that makes her sound BUSY (and hard done by of course). If you have to pad out your task list like that, you probably aren't actually that busy 🙄.

Morning all ❤
I know someone like that. Has one seemingly easy to manage child yet constantly sends us those postive thinking thing about children and how we as parents are amazing. No offence if you like that sort of thing but it gives me the ick!

I agree totally that Jack is clueless here. Her cringeworthy overfamiliarity with Owen, e.g. casual referals to syncing schedules with SB's dad, doesn't treat this as a serious thing.

I highly doubt that she really wants to be a surrogate. She's just making things all about herself, and being incredibly awkward, as usual.
Perhaps she's after OJ and she crap at chat up lines.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
She not identifying with being male anymore then?

My child is only slightly older and is literally no bother. I certainly don’t need huge breaks from her, it’s more it’s good for her to go out, it’s not for me
She's doing the thing again where she makes it sound like SB is a toddler. When mine were little, I dreamed of breaks. Young kids can be really tough, just because parenting them is so full on and it can feel a bit relentless - especially if you are the one at home or a single parent or whatever. But unless your child has additional needs this really changes once they start school. My youngest is 8 now. I can't remember the last time I felt like I needed a break from him. Kids that age are perfectly capable of entertaining themselves for hours, get their own snacks, etc., etc. If anything, I have to convince my kids to do stuff with me.

*I know most of you know this, but it's a PSA for people without kids. Don't let her bamboozle you!

• Heart
Reactions: 49
That's because she uses him to illustrate how hard she has it all the time. She has to outline every mortal task she does for him, that most of us don't even give a second thought to doing, as it gives her a long list to reel off that makes her sound BUSY (and hard done by of course). If you have to pad out your task list like that, you probably aren't actually that busy 🙄.

Morning all ❤
It's like how my husband has to give me the LOTR extended cut version of the story every time he does a washing, and thinks I don't pull my weight around the house because I just empty the washing basket, hang up the clothes then put them away approximately 80% of the time without mentioning it.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
She's doing the thing again where she makes it sound like SB is a toddler. When mine were little, I dreamed of breaks. Young kids can be really tough, just because parenting them is so full on and it can feel a bit relentless - especially if you are the one at home or a single parent or whatever. But unless your child has additional needs this really changes once they start school. My youngest is 8 now. I can't remember the last time I felt like I needed a break from him. Kids that age are perfectly capable of entertaining themselves for hours, get their own snacks, etc., etc. If anything, I have to convince my kids to do stuff with me.

*I know most of you know this, but it's a PSA for people without kids. Don't let her bamboozle you!
Mine are still small so that’s nice to hear although I’m sure I’ll be pestering them for attention.

The only surrogacy allowed in the Uk is ‘altruistic’ and she is the least altruistic person I have ever heard of.

Reactions: 34

My sister once had a colleague who talked about her son without ever giving specifics, and they’d all assumed he was in the 5-7 age range based on her descriptions of what she did for him and insistence she had to be home from work to get him from school. (They’d have even possibly thought younger if school didn’t bring the range up a bit)

Turned out he was 15 (with absolutely no SN whatsoever), she just totally babied him.

I always think of her when Jack starts about SB.

• Wow
Reactions: 42
My sister once had a colleague who talked about her son without ever giving specifics, and they’d all assumed he was in the 5-7 age range based on her descriptions of what she did for him and insistence she had to be home from work to get him from school. (They’d have even possibly thought younger if school didn’t bring the range up a bit)

Turned out he was 15 (with absolutely no SN whatsoever), she just totally babied him.

I always think of her when Jack starts about SB.
The thing is, I don't even think Jack would baby SB. This whole 'I have to do x, y, z for him' thing will continue but it's only to show everyone how hard she has it.

Reactions: 33
Childless Frau here! (Even we got the sense to understand parenthood more than actual 'parent' Jack lolololol)

She should consider that she's been claiming to have Anorexia this last week, so should count her lucky stars she even could have a child if it's true. Anorexia can leave people infertile and/or incapable of even carrying a baby as your body just will never be strong enough. Nikki Graheme expressed grief how she wanted to be a mother, but, she couldn't. Her frail little body could never have supported a pregnancy. Jack seemed to have no problems with the pregnancy or birth. (She does say she's had a miscarriage before she had SB, those are fairly common though without being calllous) The fact she is so blasé about it just shows up her lies and privilege again. twit.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 51
Good morning Frauen. I was not ready for Handmaid Jack. Blessed be the Jackfruit. May the Lord open.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 51
I’m no fan of Owen Jones (still recovering from the podcast of them both together) but putting your desperation to have children out there for others to see (even jokingly) is very tough. Even joking about it will probably have made him feel vulnerable. This is something Jack just doesn’t understand.

I’ve put this paragraph behind a spoiler in case there are any fraus/herrs feeling that desperation who just don’t need this topic discussion at this time in the morning (or maybe ever). Honestly Jack has no comprehension of what it’s like to desperately want children but for personal circumstances to mean that it’s a rather more difficult journey (or even impossible). She doesn’t understand the vulnerability of putting that desire out there (whether publicly like OJ or even to close family/friends) & suggesting ways that it might be possible (knowing you’ll be judged by some). Jack has no idea how lucky she is & has no idea how painful that topic is for some people. Desire to have a child can be a deep primal urge for some people (also normal for it not to be-desire to be childless is also normal). Comments like hers about SB are a dagger to the hearts of people who navigate a more difficult path to parenthood (and she has someone she knows is navigating that path mentioned in the bleeping tweet). Statements about her hatred of ‘adulting’, wanting SB to be away for periods of time & generally treating him like a nuisance are not only potentially damaging to her child but also potentially triggering for many people. She really needs to grow up and start being significantly more professional on her social media.

In essence, Jack needs to wake up and realise just how bloody lucky she is. Then maybe she’ll stop making ill thought out jokes about her son (who I have no doubt that she adores).
100% this, and sending so much love to anyone going through this. We’ve been there and it’s crushing. On morons offering to be a surrogate for clout:

I had ovarian cancer in my mid 20s. The NHS really do their best to help you if you’ve not had kids yet, but didn’t know if the remaining ovary was viable.

Literally whilst I was in surgery the narc in my life made a huge song and dance of offering to be our surrogate to my husband. We were just coming to terms with the loss of an ovary, a cancer diagnosis, and emergency surgery. I didn’t know/believe the other would be viable so was coming to terms with the news of potentially never having any. Neither of us were remotely okay, so to centre yourself at a time like that as the saviour of someone is sick. It was the reason I ended that relationship because it was too far. I went to therapy after this to deal with all the cancer-y stuff and all I spoke about was this, it was SO fucked up. It’s not an altruistic act - IMO it’s insensitive like oh look pregnancy is such a non issue for me I can just pop them out for anyone recreationally. Not at all what you want to hear when your whole future feels like it’s a frozen fish left in a slow cooker for 48 hours. Tl;dr complete bleep behaviour from morons with no shame or social skills

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 83
I don’t think I could cope with pregnancy Jack anyway.

i have to make child spend time with me now. The only time she seeks me out (every 5 minutes) is to tell me she’s hungry. I imagine SB thinks better of that.
I don’t think he’s only at his dads those times as well. Especially reading what his partner wrote on mumsnet.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 39
Parenting can be hard going. I have two boys. Youngest is now 8. Diagnosed with ASD, hypermobility and sensory processing disorder and his big brother nearly 10 was diagnosed with ASD last week. He also has dyslexia and hypermobility. For about 3 years my husband worked away from home during the week and was only home from Fri Evening to Sun Evening. Not gonna lie that was hard going but I wasn't working so I could focus on them. They are now settled at school with extra support and I'm actually going to return to work next week (am really nervous about that!)
Pre Covid I would bet a weekend off once or twice a year to go away with friends or just on my own, and so did my husband. After one night away I couldn't wait to get back to them.
Nothing wrong with needing a break although Jack seems to get more break from than time with SB. If my children can sort their own snacks, entertain themselves and do a modicum of housework (help tidy their rooms, put a load in the washing machine, lay the table etc) then I'm sure SB does too. Why is she always so hard done by?

• Heart
Reactions: 38
🔺academic Frau here.
For those who are interested. Coping with the nuances of contradictory ideas or experiences is mentally stressful. It requires energy and effort to sit with those seemingly opposite things that all seem true. This can seen with the JM Twitter flying monkeys.
Leon Festinger argued that some people would inevitably resolve dissonance by blindly believing whatever they wanted to believe.
The more aggressive the squiggles defence is a sign of their need to believe as they invested some much in the narrative.
Time to stress again that I love this gossip hellsite of bullying ninnies sad Hausfrauen.
Now get to absolute duck.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 38
I'm no fan of Owen Jones, but he was on the receiving end of, like, a 4 day pile-on after talking about surrogacy (with a gay man who had taken that route) about a week ago. So here, just as all that has died down, he posts a pic of his post-lockdown haircut and along comes Jack, to reignite it. Appalling. Glad to see he's thus far ignored her.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 73
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.