Jack Monroe #178 I am a human being and I make mistakes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She's Rory Gilmore - entitled, thinks shes a journalist. Pov backstory and always bailed out.
Haha, she is so Rory. Rory came from a wealthy family yet always complained about being broke, wore designer labels all the time, planned a move to New York despite being too broke to buy underwear. Also the whole inflated sense of her own talent thing (I won’t go on about all the ways in which Rory is a terrible journalist but she’s terrible).

• Haha
Reactions: 35
When my child’s other parent and I split I did look forward to my every other weekend ‘off’, mainly because the rest of the time I held down a highly stressful full time job and dealt with all the day to day parenting. Wtf does she actually do?

• Heart
Reactions: 47
When my child’s other parent and I split I did look forward to my every other weekend ‘off’, mainly because the rest of the time I held down a highly stressful full time job and dealt with all the day to day parenting. Wtf does she actually do?
She's very busy and important, now duck off if you please.

• Haha
Reactions: 44
Parenting is really hard. I find the never ending constant small people very tough. Lockdown and this past year especially and one day I look forward to a weekend away without my children. (I think I will be expected to take Mr V but can’t have everything) so it is nice to have time off. But that just sounded like he was an inconvenience in her life and I think that’s terrible. I’m sure his dad makes up for it.
I think that is normal though. Little sleepovers at grandparents etc is all normal and good for everyone. Its healthy to get an occasional break, change of scene and people. But Jack is describing large chunks of time and she does make him sound like an inconvenience. He is one boy, a healthy pre teen and a sweet boy by the sounds of it. It is not comparable to having multiple children and children with physical health issues/asd. She has it unbelievably easy. Her attitude is real slap in the face to all hard working loving parents single and in couples.

• Heart
Reactions: 52
She is so lucky that her kids dad would take him so much, but doesn't she feel like she's missing out on so much( because she is) being apart from him, she missing out on lots of his experiences and how he deals with it.

From what I can see is she really has him 1 full weekend and for a few hours in the school week. No offence but in a few years I can see him going to live with dad as that were he most of the time going to his mum's must be like a little trip.

• Sad
Reactions: 36
I completely understand that parents need a break. I just think she should be more mindful about how she talks about her son online. We don't know what their relationship is like, but I would feel hurt if my mum was posting on social media that she sees me as a burden, and I mean, I'm 34 and she has about 100 Facebook friends. Jack's words could have a much deeper impact.

Surely celebrating a break from your offspring is what anonymous Mumsnet accounts are for?

• Heart
Reactions: 54
Sorry for the OT fraus but omg he is still delicious. I used to love Sunset Beach as a teen. It was ridiculous in a so bad it's good kind of way.
download.jpeg.jpg

Back OT, I will do the next thread if I'm around at the time.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 38
She is so lucky that her kids dad would take him so much, but doesn't she feel like she's missing out on so much( because she is) being apart from him, she missing out on lots of his experiences and how he deals with it.

From what I can see is she really has him 1 full weekend and for a few hours in the school week. No offence but in a few years I can see him going to live with dad as that were he most of the time going to his mum's must be like a little trip.
She feels she's missing out when he's there, that's the saddest thing. She always writes about him in terms of resentment - having to cook and clean, put the washing machine on, do the school run, take him to bed at 7pm after his meal of slop and conversation cards.

• Sad
Reactions: 47
How would she even be able to support this child? Or does she think Owen will give her child support payments for the odd day the child stays over at her crappy bungalow?

She should be thinking of her forever home, not considering bringing another child into her chaotic life. It would be another selfish act.

Unless she is considering becoming a surrogate for money, but that is illegal in the UK, only expenses allowed Jack. And you wouldn't get to see the child at all, that is what surrogacy means.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
That is the 64 million dollar question, no doubt a crack team somewhere is working on this conundrum

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
I completely understand that parents need a break. I just think she should be more mindful about how she talks about her son online. We don't know what their relationship is like, but I would feel hurt if my mum was posting on social media that she sees me as a burden, and I mean, I'm 34 and she has about 100 Facebook friends. Jack's words could have a much deeper impact.

Surely celebrating a break from your offspring is what anonymous Mumsnet accounts are for?
Or something you whisper to your actual mates. Having a break from a child is healthy and normal but to say you much prefer it if they stay somewhere else most of the time is a bit unfair.

Reactions: 39
He's aged nicely! No idea who he is like, but he's attractive
He was topless on the previous page so now you have all the necessary info. He's aged well like a fine wine. A proper silver fox phoarrr. He can elbow Matt out the way from now on 🤣

Ok that might have been a bit sexist. To put it mildly, he is very nice to look at.

• Haha
Reactions: 32

From what I can see is she really has him 1 full weekend and for a few hours in the school week. No offence but in a few years I can see him going to live with dad as that were he most of the time going to his mum's must be like a little trip purgatory
FTFY 😇

too short

• Haha
Reactions: 17
All the talk of twitchy ovaries and offering to be a surrogate (again a word she doesn't seem to fully understand) would suggest that the exhausting and intensive treatment can't be for anything too sinister. If she's trying to hint at cancer treatment then she must know that such treatment would impact on fertility and at the very least she would be advised to wait a certain period of time before trying to get pregnant. If she was having chemo I would bet there would be a pre-trestment chat about freezing some eggs as she is still of childbearing age. As for the comment about syncing schedules with SB's dad....showing your true colours there Jack and they ain't beautiful like a rainbow (more crappy like a bowl of slop)

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 44
How would she even be able to support this child? Or does she think Owen will give her child support payments for the odd day the child stays over at her crappy bungalow?

She should be thinking of her forever home, not considering bringing another child into her chaotic life. It would be another selfish act.

Unless she is considering becoming a surrogate for money, but that is illegal in the UK, only expenses allowed Jack. And you wouldn't get to see the child at all, that is what surrogacy means.
I think you are right, she thinks she would get money for surrogacy. She needs to put SB first and get herself into therapy before considering another child. She was determined to have a child despite being warned against it by her parents and she has used the poor boy as a poverty accessory ever since. Just like her pets, she seems not to recognize a real living creature with needs and a life of their own.

• Sad
Reactions: 34
Or something you whisper to your actual mates. Having a break from a child is healthy and normal but to say you much prefer it if they stay somewhere else most of the time is a bit unfair.
I would often have to ‘force’ (not literal use of force) my child to go and stay with the other parent. I didn’t do this because I didn’t want them with me, I did it because it was vital that they maintain a relationship with both of us and that the other parent had the opportunity to actually, y’know, continue parenting. I admit to being guilty of the ‘I’m fed up, can’t wait until they go away for the weekend’ trope and the occasional ‘you can go live with them full time then’, and yes it was lovely to have that break from ‘rl’ but I never actively thought of my child as a burden like she seems to do with SB
(She would never have had to sell those lightbulbs if she wasn’t a Mum, she probably thinks she could have got a rich sugar mamma sooner than she did with Allegra...)

• Heart
Reactions: 38
I’m no fan of Owen Jones (still recovering from the podcast of them both together) but putting your desperation to have children out there for others to see (even jokingly) is very tough. Even joking about it will probably have made him feel vulnerable. This is something Jack just doesn’t understand.

I’ve put this paragraph behind a spoiler in case there are any fraus/herrs feeling that desperation who just don’t need this topic discussion at this time in the morning (or maybe ever). Honestly Jack has no comprehension of what it’s like to desperately want children but for personal circumstances to mean that it’s a rather more difficult journey (or even impossible). She doesn’t understand the vulnerability of putting that desire out there (whether publicly like OJ or even to close family/friends) & suggesting ways that it might be possible (knowing you’ll be judged by some). Jack has no idea how lucky she is & has no idea how painful that topic is for some people. Desire to have a child can be a deep primal urge for some people (also normal for it not to be-desire to be childless is also normal). Comments like hers about SB are a dagger to the hearts of people who navigate a more difficult path to parenthood (and she has someone she knows is navigating that path mentioned in the bleeping tweet). Statements about her hatred of ‘adulting’, wanting SB to be away for periods of time & generally treating him like a nuisance are not only potentially damaging to her child but also potentially triggering for many people. She really needs to grow up and start being significantly more professional on her social media.

In essence, Jack needs to wake up and realise just how bloody lucky she is. Then maybe she’ll stop making ill thought out jokes about her son (who I have no doubt that she adores).

• Heart
Reactions: 59
What do Owen Jones and anchovy butter have in common?

I first made anchovy butter in my kitchen at home on the cusp of autumn 2019. Faced with a pile of courgettes to use and a recipe book to write, I began to throw together whatever I had to hand to turn the pile of fat green vegetables in my fridge drawer into delicious dishes. It was 2pm, and I was trying to wrap up soon so I could pick my son up from school. I wanted something super quick, simple and that would keep for my dinner that evening. I poured a tin of anchovies in the blender, along with all of the oil, and added butter, on a whim. I pulsed it, watching the butter whip to a cupcake frosting consistency, flecked with freckles of brown. I gently braced myself as I dipped a tentative finger in. The smell was overpowering – I closed my eyes and sucked that finger and I swear my ovaries and arteries both gave the same deep internal groan – one in pleasure, one in fear.

"flecked with freckles of brown" is bringing back memories of the Night of the Prune Juice. 😭

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 58
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.