Jack Monroe #163 Not saying anything new

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Two points:

* I still think it is inappropriate in the context of the current discussion. Murder is not a MeToo moment.

* Here is a link for anyone who has suffered non-recent abuse. I know this is a complex issue, but I am so proud of my relatives who reported their abuser years later, preventing him from attacking other children. Even if you do not report, there are options for help and counselling:

eta: wrong link, now corrected
This is the thing it is speculation that Sarah was sexually assaulted the police haven't confirmed it yet. I know it's the most likely case but we don't know anything yet, so perhaps it shouldn't be used as a #me too moment.

Reactions: 31
I hope she is getting some help and support beyond Twitter.

On the one hand, it explains everything.

On the other hand, it’s an explanation for everything.

• Heart
Reactions: 52
I have been open about my childhood SA on here, what I have just read has made me feel physically sick.
I have no idea whether what she has written is true, but tweeting about it at this moment after the awful news about Sarah Everard seems so, so wrong.

Without doubt these are the most prepared tweets she has ever done, thought out and considered. However there are gaping holes in the story. I feel awful doubting such an horrific story, but parts of of just don't add up.

It all seems to be done so performative, as if it is done to get further work writing articles for the press. If that is her ultimate goal, it couldn't be more distasteful.

And for someone with three therapists on speed dial, she really hasn't been getting value for money.

My cynical side thinks this is all too convenient timing. She wants to be the media go to talking head for.......
Poverty
Food bank use
Budget cooking
Free school meals
Fire investigation
Lesbian's issues
Women's issues
Gender non conforming issues
Trans issues
Childhood SA
Childhood grooming
SA
Stalking issues
Female abuse issues
I'm sure I've missed some more.

The full range, one stop shop for The Guardian.

Monetising herself like this is just horrific and really unpleasant.

Long post, sorry. I'm back

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 146
I can believe her. We know men can be bleeping awful.

I’m not sure about the timeline though and interesting to read she could move into her parents then (post fire service) but not when she and her son had no food.

• Heart
Reactions: 65
If it's true, Twitter isn't the place for it.
If it's not true, Twitter isn't the place for it.
If it's part true, part embellishment, Twitter isn't the place for it.

That is potentially very damaging to anyone who taught her, her parents, her fire colleagues, her coffee shop manager.

Now is not the time for this, Twitter is not the place for it, ever.

• Heart
Reactions: 104
I can believe her. We know men can be bleeping awful.

I’m not sure about the timeline though and interesting to read she could move into her parents then (post fire service) but not when she and her son had no food.
Also that she took out credit cards so she could leave cash under this man's window wipers.

Reactions: 56
I’m not really sure what to make of all this.

I wonder if it was him that left the soap on her doorstep.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 23
I believe her and I think it explains a lot. I also think there is probably a reason, consciously or subconsciously, she's decided to reveal this now. I hope she can find a professional to work through this with and get some closure on it.

Reactions: 40
I will say that this is not the first time she has mentioned being stalked as a teenager. In fact, I believe it was even in her early blogs, although without any details.

I hope her friends and family are supporting her.
If I were a close family member in need of an oncologist this thread from her would finish me off. Not a nice time to be doing this is it?

ETA: I believe her. And I think whatever the truth of it yes this is why she’s how she is.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
I’m not really sure what to make of all this.

I wonder if it was him that left the soap on her doorstep.
IIRC she was quite laidback about the soap so I don’t think she thought it was him. It would freak me out anyway but if I’d had a stalker it would destroy me finding any sort of unexplained gift/item at my front door

Reactions: 43
Bit worrying about how identifiable she has made that teacher.
Twitter is not the place for that.

Reactions: 39
I don't know what to make of it. While I'm comfortable to jokingly speculate about the origins of a scarf or toaster, questioning such a serious story feels really bad. At the same time, there seems to be holes, like with the author of 'a million little piecces' for example, and we know she will co-opt other people's experiences with illnesses etc. In the end, it is very sad if it's true, semi-true or mostly untrue :(

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
I know this sounds heartless of me but I find it so hard to read that and still find I have no sympathy for her. I’m sorry, I’m not usually such a cold person but I have a complete disconnect when it comes to her
You are not alone, also do call handlers have watch managers? 🤔

Reactions: 25
Why not write a blog post and share the link on twitter (if you feel compelled to share) with trigger warnings? I do feel awful saying this but I feel it’s been written for shock value. Again not doubting, just unsure what to believe.

• Heart
Reactions: 59
There are certainly some places in which this account does not mesh with other things Jack has said (just one example: her autism backstory involved "comprehensive psychiatric and cognitive assessments" at the age of 11).

I honestly hate that I doubt her, because I don't want to, but she lies so much.

I also agree with what @MancBee said about her wanting to be the go-to talking head on so many issues. Unrelatedly, I was thinking about this recently because I was wondering if I've had an unusual amount of drama in my life. Then I realised that the issues I've faced are almost all connected - bad mental health runs in the family, and it's easy to connect the dots between an alcoholic parent, bulimia and GAD.

But Jack seems to have suffered thousands of unconnected traumas throughout her life, which leads to doubt. I'm sure some things are true, and I hope she gets real, effective help.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 68
Hello, everyone! I’m breaking my no commenting rule. I think it was extremely poor form of her to post that stalking story right now. I think she should’ve put trigger warnings.

I had an ex who was manipulative and pretty messed up from an abusive childhood. It was serious stuff. Horrible stuff. They suffered massive trauma.

When things started going south, I soon noticed that PTSD symptoms and also the need to confess different aspects of the trauma to me would come up whenever we were fighting or whenever they had genuinely crossed a line and felt me pulling away. I don’t think they were aware they were doing that. I don’t think there was any faking or exaggerating going on either. They didn’t want me to leave or to be mad, so they made themselves vulnerable.

I don’t think Jack is aware of what she’s doing, and I hope she gets helps. I really, really hope she gets help and not just a commission from this. This is not a fun chaos.

• Heart
Reactions: 75
I’m conflicted - sounds like several people are. We should believe people when they tell us awful things have happened.
However, when someone has been untrustworthy about other awful things - it’s difficult to believe without question. And on Twitter.
It’s crying wolf all the time - and it is really tragic if this is the true thing that doesn’t get believed because of all the other lies.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 69
Not the place to share this.
Really not the time. The cynic in me is saying that she’s only done this now as the last few tweets went so badly and she is desperate to insert herself into this issue.

• Heart
Reactions: 49
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.