Jack Monroe #163 Not saying anything new

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She's basking in the (understandable) attention and concern this has resulted in.

I am not saying it didn't happen, but it's genuinely so sad that she craves validation online to this extent. Her outlook has been completely warped by her sm addiction.

I feel she is deeply unwell and escalating. I hope I am wrong.
This is what has got me about it. I’m not saying I don’t believe her, the thought of making a child abuse story up is incomprehensible and I don’t think that even she would stoop so low but the timing and the way she’s written it and the obvious revelling in the attention it’s given her is grim reading. There are so many other ways she could have written about this but she chose the most dramatic way possible. She’s also potentially stopped other women coming forward by stating more than once that she wasn’t believed.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 42
Presumably this man is highly 🔺 to people of Southend by now? Is this a risky strategy?

• Wow
Reactions: 39
I see she has gained many more followers in the last hour. It is clear from her last few tweets why she is doing this. It's all about the money.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but as a victim of childhood abuse, it is sickening that anyone would monetise their trauma in this way. I am actually feeling physically sick. That is not an exaggeration either, I do feel shakily nauseous.
Same position here and it’s affected me similarly. I’m sorry.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 38
The story is out there now. I can’t believe Twitter was the medium.
It remains to be seen whether this is going to be the source of articles going forward and how (if at all) the story changesWe know she can’t keep a story straight. I hope this one is not moulded to fit x or y like the poverty was.
The timing is completely inappropriate.
It’s a sickening feeling doubting someone who has shared trauma. But she does lie - about big things and small things. And I hope to god she didn’t lie about this because it is horrifying to even think of.
i hope people who are triggered stay safe.

edit to finish a thought

• Heart
Reactions: 33
I honestly would not be surprised if a few of the Jackolytes decided to take sole revenge on her part. She’s described the car and now that she has to walk past his house on the way to her parents.

I feel sorry for her son, it’s not just him that can Google but any one of his classmates - friend or foe.

She also didn’t do a trigger warning for when she accidentally cut herself with glass and then photographed it with blood everywhere

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 41
She has outed someone who lives close to her parents, a former teacher with a description of his car. I am certain that people in her area will be curtain twitching at the moment and emotions running high. I just hope there is no vigilante mobs that take action into their own hands, things can take really terrible turns especially if people end up targeting the innocent.

• Sad
Reactions: 49
No, doesn’t make a difference - it’s still just a person repeating the mantra for likes. I agree, I actually agree in theory with the idea of showing more compassion to female offenders to take into account the circumstances that lead to them offending (essentially, the idea of no free will) - though it makes absolutely zero sense to apply this logic to women but then, not only not apply that same level of compassion to male offendersbut in fact propose to go in exactly the opposite direction.
To be clear, there is a problem with violence in our society but the to fix it requires education in emotional awareness from and early age and well resourced rehabilitation service for those that offend anyway, and obviously stricter punishments (but with similar principles) applied to violent offenders.
But logic and empathy isn’t the aim of these sound bites, the aim is condemnation for clicks and the approval of those fellow group think members that they wish to impress, which is a sad state of affairs for everyone.
Scandinavian countries have managed to reduce their prison populations with proper well funded rehab and education. I was very moved by a Grayson Perry doc on modern masculinity, when interviewing teens in young offender they literally didn't have the words to express themselves he cried, I cried watching it. Violence is far too tolerated and acceptable. Feel this is a bit word salady, but am dismayed by so many of the knee jerk responses on social media

• Heart
Reactions: 42
On reflection what's concerning me is that she seems to be constantly searching for bigger and bigger twitter "highs" (as in dopamine from attention.) I hope I don't express myself badly here and I apologise if I hurt anyone, it is not my intention at all. It's just an observation about what Jack is doing.

Again, this doesn't mean I don't believe her, but I think what's driving this is attention seeking - I know that sounds really flippant and I don't mean it to, but she does appear to be completely addicted to the attention she gets from these tweets about her traumatic experiences.

The thing is, she will be satisfied for a few days (like with FSM, potatoes, etc), and then it will all fade away and she'll still be Jack with all her issues and trauma that still need to be dealt with, but the twitter machine will have moved on and she'll feel the need to "outdo" herself in order to hoover up all those likes and retweets and attention.

You see how grumpy and pissed off she gets when she mentions things like the gohenry story about bullies and trolls shutting down her bank account, and they don't provoke the outpouring of sympathy she craves.

Jack if you are reading I hope you can get some good help and support. Social media engagement might make you feel good for a few days, but it's not going to fix things.

You deserve a lot better than you think.

• Heart
Reactions: 70
This is so far beyond anything I could have imagined she would come out with, I'm at a total loss for words. The ones I do have I feel like I have to choose very carefully because there's a definite risk it's going to fortify her bullying and harassment claims. She has been responsible for causing a lot of cabal members real pain today and that upsets me. We're not a faceless mass of horrible gaslighters, we're real people. As someone else said, this would have been better as an article prefaced by specific trigger warnings that people could choose whether to read it or not, the same as with her scalpel theft story where she threw in a casual mention of self-harm. There's also an article on her blog that mentions a detailed description of a suicide attempt with just a generic 'trigger warning' at the top. Whether the content of what she says is true or not, she needs to understand that carelessly writing about emotionally charged issues like this has the capacity to harm other people.

And stop using 'granular', you tit. You mean 'miniscule' or 'minute'

• Heart
Reactions: 73
Scandinavian countries have managed to reduce their prison populations with proper well funded rehab and education. I was very moved by a Grayson Perry doc on modern masculinity, when interviewing teens in young offender they literally didn't have the words to express themselves he cried, I cried watching it. Violence is far too tolerated and acceptable. Feel this is a bit word salady, but am dismayed by so many of the knee jerk responses on social media
Agreed, in Scandinavia the focus is actually on rehabilitation - rather than arbitrary punishment for punishment's sake. There's a middle ground somewhere that we are no where near to finding. I'll check out the Grayson Perry documentary, thanks for the tip...

Reactions: 26
On reflection what's concerning me is that she seems to be constantly searching for bigger and bigger twitter "highs" (as in dopamine from attention.) I hope I don't express myself badly here and I apologise if I hurt anyone, it is not my intention at all. It's just an observation about what Jack is doing.

Again, this doesn't mean I don't believe her, but I think what's driving this is attention seeking - I know that sounds really flippant and I don't mean it to, but she does appear to be completely addicted to the attention she gets from these tweets about her traumatic experiences.

The thing is, she will be satisfied for a few days (like with FSM, potatoes, etc), and then it will all fade away and she'll still be Jack with all her issues and trauma that still need to be dealt with, but the twitter machine will have moved on and she'll feel the need to "outdo" herself in order to hoover up all those likes and retweets and attention.

You see how grumpy and pissed off she gets when she mentions things like the gohenry story about bullies and trolls shutting down her bank account, and they don't provoke the outpouring of sympathy she craves.

Jack if you are reading I hope you can get some good help and support. Social media engagement might make you feel good for a few days, but it's not going to fix things.

She has shared this with the notion that this is 'the big one' (sorry to sound flippant) and the experience that underpins her whole life, sadly. I don't think she can go further than this one, surely this is where it stops and she actually gets some proper help

Reactions: 40
I'm utterly nauseated. So sorry so many members of the cabal are in such a horrible place right now, I'm there with you and I want to hold your hands in the darkness. Please look after yourselves as best as you can and if you have coping mechanisms or friends or family you trust use them, or reach out if you feel you can. It's okay if you can't. Olive you ♥ ♥ ♥

• Heart
Reactions: 50
The twist reveal that the friend was SB’s dad felt icky. Twist implies plot.

• Sad
Reactions: 70
She has literally given so much away anyone who knows her and knows where she lives now know where this man lives. This could go very wrong. The only people who should know this information is the police and social services. The hit mob do not need to know

Reactions: 40
I'm utterly nauseated. So sorry so many members of the cabal are in such a horrible place right now, I'm there with you and I want to hold your hands in the darkness. Please look after yourselves as best as you can and if you have coping mechanisms or friends or family you trust use them, or reach out if you feel you can. It's okay if you can't. Olive you ♥ ♥ ♥
That’s such a lovely message x

• Heart
Reactions: 28

You’ve managed to put what I was thinking into words. My browser doesn’t seem to want to let me quote from two pages of the thread, but also what Lanie said about hoping she’s not done it in the middle of a breakdown and will regret it really hit home for me.

When I first disclosed to someone it was impulsive after being triggered by something someone else had said. The person I told was not the right person to tell at all, for a multitude of reasons, I worded it all incredibly badly and I had so much regret afterwards. I can’t imagine how amplified that would be if I’d declared it on Twitter for thousands of people. I don’t actually read her initial thread as planned, to me it sounds like she’s just typed and typed. The additions less so, those seem much more attention seeking.

• Heart
Reactions: 53
Agreed, in Scandinavia the focus is actually on rehabilitation - rather than arbitrary punishment for punishment's sake. There's a middle ground somewhere that we are no where near to finding. I'll check out the Grayson Perry documentary, thanks for the tip...
OT but hey...why not with these heavy topics- Grayson Perry is great doing documentaries...the coven recently had a whole class system discussion and Grayson P. also did three episodes on class and it was done excellently I thought. He showed himself as very sweet and sensitive.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.