Jack Monroe #16 Queen of the freezer, bathtime teaser & blue tick pleaser

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If she becomes a mental health ambassador, I will be fuming!! As someone rightly pointed out yesterday (sorry, I have a terrible memory), this is MH awareness week and it would be the perfect time to even pretend she cared about anyone else, but she’s too wrapped up in herself to try. My Grandma always said “there is always someone worse off than you” and it’s a fact. IMO JM doesn’t even know she’s born and the sad fact is, something awful will rock her world at some point and she‘ll crumble
@LennyBriscoe it was me, I’m still raging that her book is supposedly to help those suffering and yet she hasn’t posted anything to help anyone. Only interested in herself 😞

Hah! I bought my other half an original Bully prize tankard for Christmas the other year. Best eBay find ever. We are mildly obsessed.
Oh @Flumps my husband will be sooo jealous, he loves a bit of Bully!!!! 🎯

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
Oh thanks I got a couple of Diana Henry books I don’t have for 99p!
Me too, just bought 3 books, will enjoy having a look through them on kindle. Then might buy hard copies if I use them enough!

It was me! It's properly laugh out loud funny isn't it? And very naughty.
Have downloaded this for my daily walk tomorrow.

Edit to add, this thread is bloody brilliant and just keeps sending more awesome ideas my way!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Elizabeth David's an Omelette and a Glass of Wine is my favourite food read though, more opinions and stories than recipes, and just beautifully written.
I love Elizabeth David's books, such a good read, I have a little collection of them.
Her life story is fascinating isn't it?
I love her attitude.

I wonder if the judges have ever tried any of her recipes?????
No absolutely not x

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
I love Elizabeth David's books, such a good read, I have a little collection of them.
I love her attitude.

No absolutely not x
I have a really really old Elizabeth David book that was my Mums. She visited Italy aged 18 and fell in love, came home and was into Italian cooking since then. When she died I tried to keep all her cookery books, but during a flood last year lots got damaged. I’ve always kept the ED safe though x

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I love her attitude.
Yes, imagine she was an amazing woman. Very inspiring.

A v different story, but my great aunt travelled to China as a missionary nurse (trained at Great Ormond Street and St Thomas') several years before the start of WW2. She ended up interred in a Japanese POW camp there, then after the war sailed to America for a while, then eventually back to England and set up home with her female 'companion' in Cornwall, and eventually lived to be 100. Women of that much stricter era who defied the expectations of everyone around them and forged their own paths are just brilliant. My aunt used to expect the same of me. I remember her buying me a copy of 'A Brief History of Time' for my 10th or 11th birthday because I'd told her I was interested in science. She used to quiz me on it whenever I saw her. I have a few of her things now including her Chinese-English dictionary (complete with her own annotations and index). She was wonderful.

• Heart
Reactions: 32

A v different story, but my great aunt travelled to China as a missionary nurse (trained at Great Ormond Street and St Thomas') several years before the start of WW2. She ended up interred in a Japanese POW camp there, then after the war sailed to America for a while, then eventually back to England and set up home with her female 'companion' in Cornwall, and eventually lived to be 100. Women of that much stricter era who defied the expectations of everyone around them and forged their own paths are just brilliant. My aunt used to expect the same of me. I remember her buying me a copy of 'A Brief History of Time' for my 10th or 11th birthday because I'd told her I was interested in science. She used to quiz me on it whenever I saw her. I have a few of her things now including her Chinese-English dictionary (complete with her own annotations and index). She was wonderful.
What an amazing story, I think it’s easy to forget how much more difficult travel was back then and especially travelling as a woman. It’s lovely being able to keep books as memories, my Mum’s cookery books have little notes and the odd stain! Love that she bought you A Brief History of Time x

• Heart
Does anyone have any good recommendations of cookbooks that are also a nice read? Feel like treating myself ☺
Romy Gill’s book Zaika is lovely, gorgeous vegan Indian recipes and little bits about where the recipes come from/ her childhood in India. The recipes really work too. Her instagram page is great too, fantastic recipes, some vegan, some meat, some veggie, and a big floofer of a cat!

Reactions: 6
Look at this tonight. Not a tin of chickpeas in sight.

Someone showing others how to cook on a budget with nutritious food, something JM could never do. Watch out Jack, comes out for your crown. And not a moment too soon.

Jack will most definitely not be hooting and someone upstaging her.

Attachments

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
Jack is so ridiculous. She preaches a middle class idea of what she thinks poor people should be grateful to eat - joyless, tasteless slop in other words - while herself living a 6 figure lifestyle (see the swanky bathroom, huge garden, expensive looking 1930’s rented property, the comfortable family background, the succession of wealthy fiancées, the book sales and website commissions, the Smeg begging, Groucho Club membership, etc). She’s such a hypocrite. This latest book is an insult.

Look at this tonight. Not a tin of chickpeas in sight.

Someone showing others how to cook on a budget with nutritious food, something JM could never do. Watch out Jack, comes out for your crown. And not a moment too soon.

Jack will most definitely not be hooting and someone upstaging her.
These photos look nice. Why are Jack’s photos so relentlessly grim??

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
I seemed to remember the Gifted-From-A-Friend-Smeg had been mentioned by Jack quite a while ago, so I scrolled back a bit on her Insta, and then a bit more, and then some more, and then MORE, then I got an RSI, but eventually found the first mention of it which was in 2015, so that can't be the Fridge-Which-Just-Died.

View attachment 133390
Ended up...in the lounge? Right you are...

Reactions: 3

Your great aunt sounds a wonderful woman and a special and inspiring person to have had in your life ❤

• Heart

I love that story.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
@poppycat I found a weighted blanket, it arrived this morning and it's perfect, im going to post over on the insomnia thread about it instead of hijacking this thread anymore.

I dowmloaded the sample of how to eat a peach and love it, her writing is beautiful and a pleasure to read (absolutely unlike jm😂) I don't mind having kindle books so it will be 99p well spent. BTW can get kindle books refunded, I did it years ago so I *could* do it for the new release but I don't think I could handle being that depressed by the depress pipes and I'd remand a refund for the popcorn recipe alone.

• Heart
@poppycat I found a weighted blanket, it arrived this morning and it's perfect, im going to post over on the insomnia thread about it instead of hijacking this thread anymore.

I dowmloaded the sample of how to eat a peach and love it, her writing is beautiful and a pleasure to read (absolutely unlike jm😂) I don't mind having kindle books so it will be 99p well spent. BTW can get kindle books refunded, I did it years ago so I *could* do it for the new release but I don't think I could handle being that depressed by the depress pipes and I'd remand a refund for the popcorn recipe alone.
No, don't sully your kindle with her horrible depressipes!

Looking forward to hearing how you get on with your weighted blanket :sleep:

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Nope, she has 589023 recipes to "concoct" this week, no time to test out any recipes. However if you are willing to pay $84 a month you can test them for her!

eta - there are only 17 spots left for this opportunity.
bleeping unbelievable! I’m sure Superfan has signed up....

Reactions: 6
‘Where’s Mummys breakfast?’ he asks, big blue eyes and two year old concern. 'Don't worry, I'll have a sandwich at Grandma's house', I reply. 'You can have some bread and jam there if you're still hungry. Now run and get your toy dinosaur, you're going to stay with Grandma for a few hours whilst mummy looks for a job.'
Screenshot_20200520-000601.png

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 25
There are groups on fb who actually do help people on low incomes to budget, shop and prepare meals that are actually edible. Instead of throwing together weird concoctions that could result in having to throw it out as it tastes vile. Uncooked lasagne sheets for instance or corned beef chilli. I am fed up to the back teeth of people saying how JM has helped so many people when there are those people on fb who really have helped people in sticky situations but don't demand loads of attention and praise for their efforts.
I am also wondering if the new book will have many depress pipes that involve tins, that seems her go to now as well as gnarly veg😩

• Heart
Reactions: 14
There are groups on fb who actually do help people on low incomes to budget, shop and prepare meals that are actually edible. Instead of throwing together weird concoctions that could result in having to throw it out as it tastes vile. Uncooked lasagne sheets for instance or corned beef chilli. I am fed up to the back teeth of people saying how JM has helped so many people when there are those people on fb who really have helped people in sticky situations but don't demand loads of attention and praise for their efforts.
I am also wondering if the new book will have many depress pipes that involve tins, that seems her go to now as well as gnarly veg😩
Shocking that an MP is stating such nonsense - "you have helped thousands of families on low incomes" - what absolute bullsh*t!!
It's actually very worrying that someone in this position has so little idea about reality.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.