Jack Monroe #16 Queen of the freezer, bathtime teaser & blue tick pleaser

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Great post, Iā€™m looking forward to reading the recommendations.

I have mentioned it before - How To Eat A Peach by Diana Henry is so lovely. Page attached to give a flavour of the writing.

Anna Jonesā€™ books are wonderful reads too - probably A Modern Cookā€™s year is my favourite to read. (But thereā€™s another of hers I prefer for actual cooking - the one arranged by length of time to make each dish).

And a bit left field - Lateral Cooking by Niki Segnet is so interesting. Itā€™s all about how you master one recipe and then expand/flex it to get to something else, and then other directions it can go in. Cooking on a continuum.

And Nigel Slater is always brilliant, the recent Spring/Summer and Autumn/Winter ones and Tender vol 1 are the ones I read the most. And everything by Nigella šŸ’š
Ooh I just downloaded a kindle sample of How to Eat a Peach - think I'm sold already ā˜ŗ might have to see if I can hunt down a decent second hand copy

Reactions: 5
And a bit left field - Lateral Cooking by Niki Segnet is so interesting. Itā€™s all about how you master one recipe and then expand/flex it to get to something else, and then other directions it can go in. Cooking on a continuum.
Oh oh oh oh! Yes! Her Flavour Thesaurus is also a wonderful read. Easy to pick up and just read a little bit whenever you have 5 minutes.

Diana Henry has an Instagram account that I follow.
Me too. It's a lovely account.

You trolls are all just jealous, sheā€™s been shortlisted for an award. See, she can write!! Nice her Mum has to point out she belongs with her family ...
That's so sad.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
I have mentioned it before - How To Eat A Peach by Diana Henry is so lovely. Page attached to give a flavour of the writing.
Just to say, I know the actual peach fuzz hard cover is the ultimate, but the kindle version of How to eat a Peach is only 99p at the moment, for those who are on a budget but still want to be inspired, without having to wank off a pony for their dinner.

Iā€™ve bought it, with the aim of buying the ā€œrealā€ one when my finances are less tricky...

note, thatā€™s NOT an affiliate link, because Iā€™m not a classless turd even if I do use That Bookshop...

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I can't remember who recommended it but I've been listening to The The One Show Show and it is excellent. I am HOOTING despite having never watched the One Show.

If they're not libellous, we're definitely not šŸ˜‚

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Hah. My cat featured on I think all of my video calls today.

Good point. Though that Mary Berry has her own TV show and after all, what's the difference between me and her? Apart from her extensive TV experience and calm and professional manner?

ETA: Oooooooo! I am a VIP member suddenly. Do I get a gifted Smeg fridge? The keys to the horse spunk kingdom? Exciting!
You get to drive the fun bus to Court!

I'd like to thank you all for keeping me semi sane over this weird time in our lives. I have happily learned from these threads that all of you are wonderful and very special people. And very, very humourous. Some of us have MH problems, health problems, money problems, but not once has anyone dwelled on it. We have shared, which in itself, as strangers is quite remarkable. We have shared, planting, cooking, baking, cookbooks, shopping tips, podcasts and a plethora of many wonderful things. I appreciate and in my own weird way, love all of you. Thank you all for just being you. xxx

Saffron, pfft, Philistines.

View attachment 133800

And of course @Flumps deserves a special mention for being a seed pervert like me. :love:
Right back at you @Bellybutton lint! Lockdown would have been a lot tougher without this thread šŸ„°

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Just to say, I know the actual peach fuzz hard cover is the ultimate, but the kindle version of How to eat a Peach is only 99p at the moment, for those who are on a budget but still want to be inspired, without having to wank off a pony for their dinner.

Iā€™ve bought it, with the aim of buying the ā€œrealā€ one when my finances are less tricky...

note, thatā€™s NOT an affiliate link, because Iā€™m not a classless turd even if I do use That Bookshop...
Oh thanks I got a couple of Diana Henry books I donā€™t have for 99p!

Reactions: 2
I can't remember who recommended it but I've been listening to The The One Show Show and it is excellent. I am HOOTING despite having never watched the One Show.

If they're not libellous, we're definitely not šŸ˜‚
It was me! It's properly laugh out loud funny isn't it? And very naughty.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
This isnā€™t surprising given how depressing her Twitter is! I find it interesting that her Twitter header photo is a book endorsement from Matt Haig. Heā€™s well liked, unproblematic (as far as I know) and I have a lot of empathy for his struggles having MH issues myself but heā€™s so depressing. I kind of like him but even when he tries to be positive it feels tinged with sadness, though compared to JM Iā€™d describe him as happy go lucky. I wonder if her next identity is going to be mental health advocate, just like Matt? Or has she already claimed that :unsure:

But yeah, I agree sheā€™s not helpful to depressed people at all, so this book wonā€™t be. Her constant woe is me one-upmanship with no light at the end of the tunnel IS depressing. It wouldnā€™t surprise me if sheā€™s reasoned that some of the greatest (largely fictional) books in history are depressing, so thatā€™s a route to success. Which is ignoring the fact that success comes from them also being thought-provoking and beautifully written. Jackā€™s book will be neither - she has as much depth as a paddling pool and her writing is awkward and bland
If she becomes a mental health ambassador, I will be fuming!! As someone rightly pointed out yesterday (sorry, I have a terrible memory), this is MH awareness week and it would be the perfect time to even pretend she cared about anyone else, but sheā€™s too wrapped up in herself to try. My Grandma always said ā€œthere is always someone worse off than youā€ and itā€™s a fact. IMO JM doesnā€™t even know sheā€™s born and the sad fact is, something awful will rock her world at some point and sheā€˜ll crumble

• Heart
Reactions: 17
It'll be speedboats for all once we leave court victorious.
The Judge will say to JM ā€œletā€™s have a look at what you couldā€™ve wonā€ after weā€™re found not guilty. She probs wonā€™t get a Bendy Bully though šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
The Judge will say to JM ā€œletā€™s have a look at what you couldā€™ve wonā€ after weā€™re found not guilty. She probs wonā€™t get a Bendy Bully though šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø
Hah! I bought my other half an original Bully prize tankard for Christmas the other year. Best eBay find ever. We are mildly obsessed.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Hah! I bought my other half an original Bully prize tankard for Christmas the other year. Best eBay find ever. We are mildly obsessed.
Thatā€™s a bobby dazzler of a gift! I have fond memories growing up with Sunday night Bullseye

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.