Jack Monroe #16 Queen of the freezer, bathtime teaser & blue tick pleaser

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know! Not to derail the thread but Joe Wicks' poor mum just seems like she was very young and skint having kids, and was probably a bit overwhelmed, his childhood diet doesn't sound any worse than others of his age. Jack's parents were clearly decent, kind people who were comfortably off financially (not "working class" as she claims) and it's unlikely that she and her son "froze and starved for years" (direct quote). What is wrong with these people slagging off their parents in public, on forums where they can read? I find it quite shocking, especially as they're parents themselves and know how tough it can be.
I’m a huge advocate for breastfeeding but Joe Wicks is a twit, I’m sure his mum raised him the best she could at the time

I also think it speaks volumes that Jack’s mum is aware of her daughter’s poverty fantasy and doesn’t challenge it at all. I can imagine the narcissistic rage that would come with being challenged like that, even privately. Jack’s mum probably will do anything to keep the peace. Remember that bizarre tweet exchange with her mum saying sorry she couldn’t babysit because she was ill? I suspect she tweeted her rather than privately texted (like a normal person) because she wanted to minimise the tantrum

Raising a child is hard work and I’d be livid if my daughter made fictional claims like Jack does. But I can also see why Jack’s mum is biting her tongue

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
Lest we forget, when Matt had to tolerate Jack's revolting recipes on DK he has form for coming up with delicious, price aware recipes himself.

This was ITV's response to 'Eat Well For Less' 'Save Money, Good Food'

Edited, link doesn't seem to work but book title 'Family Feasts For A Fiver'
It's a pretty decent book as well - simple, but tasty food that would appeal to most people. My copy was a lucky charity shop find.

I do buy salad bags a fair bit (although not to make mouldy pesto out of) purely because I now live somewhere where lettuce can vary wildy from $1.80 to almost $7, whereas a bag is always $3.

Reactions: 4
I don’t get these people complaining publicly about their parents over so little/perceived slights. If there’s one thing having a child does, or should do, is make you fully appreciate what your own parent(s) went through when they had you — in very different times.

Meanwhile there are thousands of children in this country alone who DO have every right to complain about their terrible and scarring upbringings, but they are for the most part voiceless, and suffering.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
I was really interested in the photos of her ‘crappy Bungalow’ wondered if there were more or maybe from one of her many previous houses as they don’t match with her narrative. They’re taken off Instagram so I went to look at her public profile (they’re not there) but what I did notice is she has two (public) accounts. The other one is a few years old, much more personal content and she writes like everyone else does. A massive change between the two. Although her old stuff barely got any likes so maybe that’s why she changed. To be balanced I did like some of her photos on there.

• Wow
Reactions: 10
I know! Not to derail the thread but Joe Wicks' poor mum just seems like she was very young and skint having kids, and was probably a bit overwhelmed, his childhood diet doesn't sound any worse than others of his age. Jack's parents were clearly decent, kind people who were comfortably off financially (not "working class" as she claims) and it's unlikely that she and her son "froze and starved for years" (direct quote). What is wrong with these people slagging off their parents in public, on forums where they can read? I find it quite shocking, especially as they're parents themselves and know how tough it can be.
Couldn’t agree more! Your viewpoint changes with your own experience but I’m not that much older than Jack and both my parents are dead. I didn’t always appreciate my folks as much as I should (especially my mum, I was 18 when she died) but I can guarantee I would not have slated them on social media, knowing either them or their friends/family would see it!

• Heart
Reactions: 15
As soon as I had my first and my mum was there, holding my hand and rubbing my gas filled post partum tummy, all the slights I Had previously felt before baby just fell away. Yes, she was a money burning, drama seeking alcoholic for parts of my childhood but then again her mum committed suicide when she was 11, my dad had a horrific stroke when we were small and she was just 35 with 3 kids and a mortgage. She did the best she could and yes she messed up some of it, but when I needed her, she was there. I might have done what Jack has done and criticised her openly, but only in my early twenties and before kids. Having my own really did open my eyes. Jack hasn’t endured half of what most of us have, it’s a shame someone with such a stable childhood seems to feel so wrong done by.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
OMG her other old Instagram page!!

From 2012. She’s bought kittens, gone on holiday, appears to have a home and a garden. The kid is even eating bread and jam!! Sorry, no lightbulbs?

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 23
Jilly Cooper!!! She references JC books in her latest feature. I have been trying to work out why the writing style seems familiar somehow and that's it - I've been reading JC for 40 years!

• Haha
Reactions: 13
OMG her other old Instagram page!!

From 2012. She’s bought kittens, gone on holiday, appears to have a home and a garden. The kid is even eating bread and jam!! Sorry, no lightbulbs?
Yeah it's all bullshit isn't it? This is a lesson in sharing personal information on social media, kids

• Haha
Reactions: 9
As soon as I had my first and my mum was there, holding my hand and rubbing my gas filled post partum tummy, all the slights I Had previously felt before baby just fell away. Yes, she was a money burning, drama seeking alcoholic for parts of my childhood but then again her mum committed suicide when she was 11, my dad had a horrific stroke when we were small and she was just 35 with 3 kids and a mortgage. She did the best she could and yes she messed up some of it, but when I needed her, she was there. I might have done what Jack has done and criticised her openly, but only in my early twenties and before kids. Having my own really did open my eyes. Jack hasn’t endured half of what most of us have, it’s a shame someone with such a stable childhood seems to feel so wrong done by.
It’s very mature of you to come to that conclusion and understanding of your mother’s issues. Generally (not always obvs) parents are doing the best they can with the resources they have. Criticism in later life doesn’t change anything but does cause problems in your relationships with family.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
The comments😂 own up who left the most recent ones

Hadn't seen 'The Mirror' for many years, but noticed this featured story. Not sure if Jack will admire it, steal it, or be fizzing with jealously and outrage.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I also think it speaks volumes that Jack’s mum is aware of her daughter’s poverty fantasy and doesn’t challenge it at all.
I imagine her whole family is aware of it and my hunch is some of her family have lessened their contact with her. My opinion only (don't sue me).
One thing that I tend to think was utter bullshit is when she was coming out as non binary, or such (cannot recall) and she phoned her dad and said she had something to tell him. He replied you can tell me anything except you are voting Tory. Yeah right.

Reactions: 17
I’m a huge advocate for breastfeeding but Joe Wicks is a twit, I’m sure his mum raised him the best she could at the time

I also think it speaks volumes that Jack’s mum is aware of her daughter’s poverty fantasy and doesn’t challenge it at all. I can imagine the narcissistic rage that would come with being challenged like that, even privately. Jack’s mum probably will do anything to keep the peace. Remember that bizarre tweet exchange with her mum saying sorry she couldn’t babysit because she was ill? I suspect she tweeted her rather than privately texted (like a normal person) because she wanted to minimise the tantrum

Raising a child is hard work and I’d be livid if my daughter made fictional claims like Jack does. But I can also see why Jack’s mum is biting her tongue
I can’t imagine how volatile she is in private, based on the public version (where you’d think she’d be reining it in a bit). I also remember some quote with her kid’s dad where he referred to having to “keep the peace”. Which makes it sound like they are walking on eggshells around her.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Lol at the latest Twitter post. Love when people do that thing of “I was going to have a moan but I won’t - oh wait, I’m already doing it”.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
I can’t imagine how volatile she is in private, based on the public version (where you’d think she’d be reining it in a bit). I also remember some quote with her kid’s dad where he referred to having to “keep the peace”. Which makes it sound like they are walking on eggshells around her.
I think it would very hard to be around her for any length of time (40 seconds) without getting that sick got to get out of here feeling.

Reactions: 12
Definitely, and I think how unable she is to control herself in public is testament to how delusional she is. Her career means her public image is very important, yet she sees no issue with her behaviour

I feel bad for her son’s father. It sounds like most people in her life are guilty of indulging her but I can understand why if your young child is involved

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.