Jack Monroe #154 The book has furloughed itself

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
TV cookery is a real art. Matt is good example of looking busy with his hands, moving and tidying in a calm way. It’s not a bleeping presentation, or a lecture.
So she's got no presentation skills.

I guess she can always fall back onto her cookery skills.

:ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 46
I've now girded my loins to watch the Guardian video and I don't know whether to laugh hysterically or just be shocked to the core at how inept she is. The horror!

Why didn't she train the camera on either her face or her food - why???? It's incredible how useless she is at this while desperately wanting a cooking show on the telly. The cognitive dissonance is real! (I've decided on hysterical laughter, lol)

• Haha
Reactions: 48
Is this the Guardian thing? Had a quick Google but haven't watched.

I lasted until just less than 5 minutes. God she's so offensive to vegans. Saying she "lasted" about 2 years as though it's something to be endured. Calling us dogmatic, and sneering at what she calls "gold star" points, ie vegans who are actually vegan.

The biggest insult of all is using her godawful E-coli pesto to represent plant based food. She is obviously very impressed with herself creating this monstrosity, because she repeats it everywhere.

Edit, just looked up the bloody recipe. It's garlic, lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper over chopped half-dead salad leaves. So basically she makes a basic salad dressing, and puts it over rotting vegetation.

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 69
I lasted until just less than 5 minutes. God she's so offensive to vegans. Saying she "lasted" about 2 years as though it's something to be endured. Calling us dogmatic, and sneering at what she calls "gold star" points, ie vegans who are actually vegan.

The biggest insult of all is using her godawful E-coli pesto to represent plant based food. She is obviously very impressed with herself creating this monstrosity, because she repeats it everywhere.

Edit, just looked up the bloody recipe. It's garlic, lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper over chopped half-dead salad leaves. So basically she makes a basic salad dressing, and puts it over rotting vegetation.
Someone should compile a list of her vegan-bashing quotes, maybe as a fun gif. Could be deployed every time someone recommends her body of work to new vegans.

This is one of the things that truly, truly pisses me off about her. I've said it before, I'll say it again, I'm happy every single time a cook promotes vegan recipes, regardless of whether they are vegan or not. But vegan bashing is bleeping tedious and she's no different to Gordon Ramsey in that regard, apart from that she's still making money off the vegan pound. Ergo, she's worse than Gordon Ramsey.

• Heart
Reactions: 62
I mean this kindly but she really does need to a find a job she can actually do. These attempts at doing cookery shows are abysmal at best. She has no charisma on screen, she's nervous, fidgety and unprepared for every single one I have seen. If it was her first time it would be ok , but she's an old gal and she's been at this a long time. If she's still worse than a beginner a decade down the line, it's time to hang up the slop gloves.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 70
Someone should compile a list of her vegan-bashing quotes, maybe as a fun gif. Could be deployed every time someone recommends her body of work to new vegans.

This is one of the things that truly, truly pisses me off about her. I've said it before, I'll say it again, I'm happy every single time a cook promotes vegan recipes, regardless of whether they are vegan or not. But vegan bashing is bleeping tedious and she's no different to Gordon Ramsey in that regard, apart from that she's still making money off the vegan pound. Ergo, she's worse than Gordon Ramsey.
I am not vegan, I'm not even vegetarian, but it bothers me too.

Words have meaning. To be a vegan has a meaning. You can not be any % vegan, you either are or you're not. You can't be "veganish" either.

You can eat a meal suitable for vegans, you can eat a meal suitable for vegetarians, but you are neither if your next meal includes meat, poultry or fish.

• Heart
Reactions: 66

OMFG you're right! I never looked up the recipe before! In what actual world is that even vaguely pesto related? No pine nuts, no basil, no parmesan (or vegan alternative)?

I mean it's green. Is... is that it? Is that what she thinks makes it pesto?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 57
I am not vegan, I'm not even vegetarian, but it bothers me too.

Words have meaning. To be a vegan has a meaning. You can not be any % vegan, you either are or you're not. You can't be "veganish" either.

You can eat a meal suitable for vegans, you can eat a meal suitable for vegetarians, but you are neither if your next meal includes meat, poultry or fish.

I am a vegetarian, and have been for about 20 years. Sometimes, it's bloody hard. It was really hard in the early days when your only vegetarian options were Linda McCartney sausages (which are not all that nice) and salad. Always had to request a plain pasta or a Margarita pizza if I went out to eat. It's gotten better. It's so much easier to be vegetarian or vegan now. If you're choosing a meat option, it's not out of desperation or lack of choice or being forced, it's a choice. And sure, it's your choice, you're free to make any choice without judgement. But don't call yourself vegan cos you want to feel special and then eat some meatballs. People who call themselves vegetarian but say "oh but I eat chicken when I go out" doesn't count, say you're plant-based. That's acceptable now. Don't say you're vegetarian when you're happy to have a bacon sandwich on a hungover morning (this is so common!), because there are people who work really hard to remain completely vegan/vegetarian. It's ok to say plant-based. Alternatively, everyone eats what they want and we don't put stupid labels on it like your diet defines you.

• Heart
Reactions: 49
OMFG you're right! I never looked up the recipe before! In what actual world is that even vaguely pesto related? No pine nuts, no basil, no parmesan (or vegan alternative)?

I mean it's green. Is... is that it? Is that what she thinks makes it pesto?
We had this discussion earlier when she made carrot pesto (I thought she had intended to make carrot top pesto but apparently not 🙃).

Pesto means ‘to pound’ so if she has pounded the leaves then I suppose it is pesto.

It isn’t a pesto any of us would want to eat however.

• Haha
Reactions: 35
I mean this kindly but she really does need to a find a job she can actually do. These attempts at doing cookery shows are abysmal at best. She has no charisma on screen, she's nervous, fidgety and unprepared for every single one I have seen. If it was her first time it would be ok , but she's an old gal and she's been at this a long time. If she's still worse than a beginner a decade down the line, it's time to hang up the slop gloves.
Yes. She must know that she isn’t good at this. It’s hard for anyone to realise that something we wanted doesn’t actually suit us. But...you know, grow up?

I genuinely think that an office based job would be much better for her, as it seems clear that the lonesome nature of being self employed does her absolutely no good at all, and just allows her to disappear ever further up her own fundament.

She needs more human contact. People to take the piss out of her when she’s being a knob, people to support her, people to talk to and with. Maybe with one of the charities she supports (though I appreciate that would not allow her to rake in the cash as she does now)?

And doing something productive that doesn’t expose her lack of warmth/humour/relatability - which I think are requirements in her current line of work - quite so harshly.

I think she’d blossom.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
We had this discussion earlier when she made carrot pesto (I thought she had intended to make carrot top pesto but apparently not 🙃).

Pesto means ‘to pound’ so if she has pounded the leaves then I suppose it is pesto.

It isn’t a pesto any of us would want to eat however.
I mean spoiler alert but she hasn't. She chops up the leaves very small but no mortar and pestle is involved. (Also just made the connection between pestle/pesto/"to pound", who says tattle isn't educational)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
I genuinely think that an office based job would be much better for her,
I'm not sure it would be better for the other people in the office.

Second thoughts, it would be awful for the other people in the office.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 70
I'm not sure it would be better for the other people in the office.
For sure a certain amount of house training would be required!

I mean, you’re obviously right. I just think that MAYBE being held accountable on a daily basis would make her calm the duck down.

But she’s probably far too gone.

• Heart
  • Haha
Yes. She must know that she isn’t good at this. It’s hard for anyone to realise that something we wanted doesn’t actually suit us. But...you know, grow up?

I genuinely think that an office based job would be much better for her, as it seems clear that the lonesome nature of being self employed does her absolutely no good at all, and just allows her to disappear ever further up her own fundament.

She needs more human contact. People to take the piss out of her when she’s being a knob, people to support her, people to talk to and with. Maybe with one of the charities she supports (though I appreciate that would not allow her to rake in the cash as she does now)?

And doing something productive that doesn’t expose her lack of warmth/humour/relatability - which I think are requirements in her current line of work - quite so harshly.

I think she’d blossom.
Just god help the poor people who might have to work with her.
ETA @MancBee beat me to it, again!

• Haha
  • Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.