Jack Monroe #151 A morally destitute and blatantly mendacious fraud?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I feel really sorry for the social media team at Essex fire service every time she tags them...
But also very frustrating for them too - standard practice would be to say ‘we don’t comment on individual personnel matters’ which then allows the other person ie Jack to make up rubbish which is not able to be disputed. All of which is annoying when you know the ‘truth’ about someone HR history

Reactions: 36
There's a 3 month time limit for starting claims to an employment tribunal, if she had a union rep they would have told her that. I know a little bits about the internal workings of tribunals and they are not held publicly, you are not named in the papers (in the official records the complainant is now by initials). Maternity discrimination is exceptionally hard to prove even if there are real grounds for it.
Tbh I think I might tell my manager we've been doing things wrong and need to start reporting all employee grievances to the local paper from now on

• Haha
Reactions: 48
I have worked HR but not with shift workers. However I would think saying that someone else would do all of your night shifts and you would do all their day shifts is dodgy ground to be honest.
it wouldn’t fit with their existing contracts and I think the person doing all the nigh shifts would definitely have the right to complain later down the line (even if it had been agreed).
It would also open the flood gates for any shift worker in the fire service to request only day/only nights. Would be unworkable.

If she was my daughter I would have told her she had a child to support and needed to get another job. I know she said she applied for loads of things and didn’t get anything. I live in a very depressed part of the country. I could get a full time agency job tomorrow doing admin.
Good point. Also, your salary would be made up of x amount per hour plus x amount per night hours (at least that's how it works for my husband who works shifts). So this would have salary implications for both her and her colleague, which HR may not be willing to agree to.

In fairness to her, I wish organisations would show flexibility in these types of circumstances and perhaps agree to a revised schedule to 3 months after which it is reviewed.

Reactions: 31
Reading between the lines, do we think...party poppers and champagne corks going off on the day she resigned and then the groans echoing around the HR office when the resignation was withdrawn? It sounds like they practically bit her hand off for the resignation then were forced to follow process/cover their backs when she withdrew it (being just back from maternity leave, claims of being unwell etc). You can almost hear the relief when the legal advisors told them they didn't have to take her back!! Also he fact that she was told so soon after the meeting, kind of like 'we've ticked that box, thank god she's no longer our problem, now you call her to let her know'??

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 72
I feel really sorry for the social media team at Essex fire service every time she tags them...
I think the social media person should immediately demand copies of Jack's HR records, see that she has been wronged and offer her not only a promotion but the 10 years of back pay she missed out on!

• Haha
Reactions: 40
I work in Pharmacy🔺and there is a trend at the moment of trying to get people with anxiety onto a beta blocker and off a Benzodiazepine (because they are crazy addictive). I take Propranolol for a racing heart/palpitations caused by anxiety but like you say, I had to have an ecg to rule out any possible other causes.
Propranolol seems to be the most prescribed beta blocker for anxiety at my place; Atenolol and Bisoprolol seem to be prescribed more often for proper Cardiac issues and to control blood pressure.
Thank you for your reply its just that nothing she says makes sense so i feel like i have to ask questions on here because she is so confusing?
Sorry to hear about your racing heart beat i have also experienced that (due to different reasons) but i know how scary that can be?
Yes r.e beta blockers i recognise they can be used for treating both anxiety and heart conditions but thank you for clarifying that not all beta blockers are the same and that diffirent variants are prescribed for different conditons.
Thats something that makes sense to me as i take Bisoprolol daily to regulate my heart beat due to issues with my aortic valve.
You see this is what really makes me angry with jack she never specifies anything she makes everything seem so vague?
Then of course people want to question the validity of her statements because basically they don't really add up or make sense?
Thats her avoidance of the truth or reality i think and her snarky reactions of well i'll tell the truth/ my story but only on my own terms just make her seem like a nassive control freak tbh?
The language she uses is so emotive and her reactions so dramatic that she just comes across as someone a bit unhinged and hysterical?
When i had my surgery for example i didn't have time or the energy to throw a strop or point an accusing finger at people/life in general.
At that time i had 3 little boys (before my daughter was born) the youngest was only 2 and a half and for practical reasons i just had to get on with things?
Thats life?
I find it hard to empathise with jack she just comes across as someone over indulged and nuerotic always got to have an imaginary persecutor that follows her around? Undermining all her so called heroic good deads?
I don't belive she is that well really but it has nothing to do with all her supposed ailments (imo) but more to do with the fact that she has such a grandiose sense of self that she literally cannot cope with anything that does not reinforce that?
The truth brings perspective because we see the bigger picture but unfortunately she can only see herself so she does not get that?

• Heart
Reactions: 30
In fairness to her, I wish organisations would show flexibility in these types of circumstances and perhaps agree to a revised schedule to 3 months after which it is reviewed.
This 100%. My current company does this for any flex working request which isn't completely unrealistic. There is a 3 month trial whereby either side can back out if it isn't working - and after the 3 months the new pattern is written into the contract.

God I need to stop analysing this and do my actual work now, I genuinely have 3 flex working requests to process today :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 43
Re psychiatrist at hospital. There is one on call psychiatrist divided between Southend, Basildon and Broomfield hospital.
If they are called for you, you may have a 5 hour wait for them to see you. You may wake up in a trolley if one is free as the staff have to keep an eye on you and make sure you be not leave. I wasn’t allowed to leave. They took a note of what I was wearing. I was taken to a room when the psychiatrist arrived for our chat.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
[

Did anyone finish those books? Honestly I started when I was young teenager, borrowing village bible sized tomes of a fellow nerd son of my mums friend, got to about 8 maybe and then felt like every time I started a new one I needed a catch up. I heard he died before he finished the whole thing (which is how I see GoT ending if I’m honest). I should wiki them to see what actually happens.
On topic - yes she is totally like that apart from the badass sorcery.

ETA the author died, not my book loaner
I’ll confess I never got to the end, but my husband has read them all several times. The original author did die, but another author was drafted in to finish the series which was apparently a good thing because it was getting out of control with so many characters and plots and the new author managed to get it all back under control. According to my husband it all ends in a satisfactory way with “the right number of people dying”. Amazon are making a TV version which should be out this year which could be interesting. Sorry that’s all very off topic.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
So, as we all guessed.
She was a nightmare. Stamped her foot about not getting her way and resigned.
Because she is a complete brat she expected them to beg her not to quit.
They didn't.
Union accompanied her to appeal hearing.
She lost appeal hearing.
They were very much following the rules.
Even though her Daddy was the Chief, she still couldn't stay.
And yet still all of this is not her fault?
Also, genuine question, do civilian staff wear uniform? I only ask as I have a friend who is a call handler/dispatch officer for the Police and he laughed when I asked if he wore a uniform. He normally wears jeans.
Depends on force, certainly as far as the police are concerned. As police staff ten years ago, I wore a uniform - blue suit with badge on pocket and white shirt - while control room staff had blue skirts or trousers and a white shirt with epaulettes with force name, similar to those you see with ambulance service. Now, Police Scotland control room staff wear dark blue polo shirts with the force name and badge.

Reactions: 27
I have worked HR but not with shift workers. However I would think saying that someone else would do all of your night shifts and you would do all their day shifts is dodgy ground to be honest.
it wouldn’t fit with their existing contracts and I think the person doing all the nigh shifts would definitely have the right to complain later down the line (even if it had been agreed).
It would also open the flood gates for any shift worker in the fire service to request only day/only nights. Would be unworkable.
This is a good point, because your salary would be based on working a mixture and the night shift would at that time definitely have attracted some kind of uplift.

I googled and 15 hour night shifts are a thing! If she was commuting over an hour each way (she claims two hours) then yeah, that would be tough. Personally I wouldn’t go home in between, it wouldn’t be worth it. SB would be dropped off on the way to shift 1 and picked up after shift 2.

Also it seems that she “resigned from hospital bed” then “immediately” tried to rescind, then a meeting was called the day after her notice ended to decide if she could have her job back? Then it’s decided that the answer is no and you have to repay your salary.
(two weeks arrears + two weeks advance was the bane of my payroll life. You get paid in the middle of a month for the whole of that month, it’s a public sector thing)

So she resigned giving some sort of notice, which was long enough for an OH referral to take place and a report to be produced, and for her to recover and be out of hospital and speaking to the union and colleagues about working arrangements and meetings. I would think that would all take at least a month.

The meeting regarding whether you can have your job back happens the day after your job ends? So you attend work on a day you don’t work for them and they don’t pay you for that?

Payroll, who knows your job is ending because you gave notice, doesn’t take action and pays you as usual, resulting in you having to repay money (which isn’t surprising as you knew you might be leaving since you resigned).

I think she resigned, there was a large exhale, her shifts were covered/absorbed somehow and they could happily say - no thanks, I think She tried to raise a grievance which is then where she tried to play the “I was having a mental health crisis” which as a one off event may not even be classed as a disability at that point plus she didn’t know she was autistic as everyone kept it a secret from her so the disability card wouldn’t work and the grievance found that due process had been followed. And she was advised she didn’t have a good case for a Tribunal.

• Heart
Reactions: 43
It really does seem that this Telegraph article is a direct response to here because......what occasioned it? Why has it popped up again now?

All it has done is given Jack an opportunity to tell her story again and add new details to silence the critics (us) as she always does. Nobody here said she chose to go on benefits. We said she chose not to ask her middle class family for help and questioned exactly how 'destitute' she was (as well as the ever changing timeline).

I stand by everything we said here and this article changes nothing.
What we actually said is that she chose NOT to go on benefits! This is documented in her old blog. And thus ended up skint due to her snobbery.

Reactions: 35
Also I don't think psychiatrists literally see people in bed and it would take a while to get a referral.
Psychiatrists will see people as an emergency if they are very unwell, they would see someone in an A and E or physical hospital bed if needed.

They won't be sitting at the end of your bed waiting for you to gently awaken from your slumber or help you draft your resignation letter though!

• Haha
Reactions: 54
To be honest from that tale she's just tweeted she sounds like a nightmare employee and a complete liability to the service.

What psychiatrist has the time to sit on a patient's bed while they write a resignation letter and what difference does that make anyway?

I am so bloody confused because she's implying she was in hospital for psychiatric reasons caused by work? So this is before "the poverty" and her parents would have been fully aware that she was in the care of a psychiatrist and had resigned her job AND THEY STOOD BACK AND DID NOTHING?

Am I reading this right?
Previously if my mind serves me correctly she said she was in hospital after a suicide attempt and wrote her resignation whilst an inpatient. I'm happy to be corrected. It was discussed on here ages back

• Wow
Reactions: 32
I don't have children, so could someone help me understand what's so wrong with the attitude "why didn't you think this through?" please?

I appreciate its not very empathetic or kind (be kind!!) but it's a job, your managers aren't there to cuddle and reassure you, you work, they pay you. They do a reasonable amount re adaptations to make sure you can perform your role, you do the same.

Am I being cold?
(I am autistic remember, so if I am it's not my fault anyway and don't be mean because I'm special)
I’d say a bit blunt, Punky! The sense of what you say is valid - she was aware of where she lives, she works and her shift pattern. She should have had a good understanding of the logistics required with a baby. Of course, in practice it’s a bit different- you can’t know how hard it is until you do it. But ultimately she would have to decide because it’s not your employers role to shorten your commute or find a different role for you. It’s not an easy conversation to have as it often comes over as “you should have known” but actually it’s about people having realistic expectations that your employer isn’t your parent.

*I bet it came over to Jack as “you should have kept your legs shut”

• Heart
Reactions: 39
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.