Jack Monroe #151 A morally destitute and blatantly mendacious fraud?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can't find it now, but I know I recently saw a great #ThatHappened Jack moment where SB (a few years ago) hilariously told people that Mummy Mama Mamapapa Mumma his mother used to slide on poles at work, and they hilariously thought she was a pole dancer, and in a hilarious twist she was actually in the fire service!!! Hahaha oh my aching sides

Maybe the call handlers' room is actually at the bottom of a pole?

I'll rummage through the receipts to see if I can find it...

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 69
I don't have children, so could someone help me understand what's so wrong with the attitude "why didn't you think this through?" please?

I appreciate its not very empathetic or kind (be kind!!) but it's a job, your managers aren't there to cuddle and reassure you, you work, they pay you. They do a reasonable amount re adaptations to make sure you can perform your role, you do the same.

Am I being cold?
(I am autistic remember, so if I am it's not my fault anyway and don't be mean because I'm special)
(I'm autistic too so can I be mean to you?)

I was a young mum (20) and I honestly had no idea how hard that would be. MY child was unplanned and I was under the illusion I could simply drop her into a nursery so I could work and strap her into a sling and carry on my social life.

I was in for a big surprise, I had no idea how physically, mentally and financially difficult motherhood could be.

Also loads of people end up in parenting situations they had not foreseen....the job loss, or surprise 3rd pregnancy, the relationship break up, the kid with special needs or even the kid up all night with norovirus meaning you can't go to work.

• Heart
Reactions: 53
I wonder why the story is changing so much recently? What's brought all this about.

At the end of the day, she chose to have a child as a single parent. Did she really think it was going to be easy? I've got absolutely no sympathy for her whatsoever. She chose her life.
Maybe the revelations from @essexgirl101 have rattled her? She specifically mentioned the resignation and then asking for the job back.

ETA - apologies I see this has already been mentioned up thread. Would be great to hear from @essexgirl101 again!

Last edited:
Reactions: 51
Jack Monroe: Good food, for bad days.

Me thinks if you cooked from that book, each day would be a bad day... 😝

• Haha
Reactions: 38
Telegraph article. She says he was six months old and didn’t know what was going on, and a month later she quit. Then in that shite she posted earlier, she says she quit when he was 19 months, having been back at work for a few months.
And yet the foodbank were giving her formula milk for him. At 19+ months. Sure, Jack.

I know technically they aren’t supposed to provide it at all, but if he’d been of the appropriate age I’d believe they had (even in the form of giving her a voucher for it).

ETA: and in terms of her landing them in it for having given it to her - I don’t know about Southend but I am sure the LA etc are fully aware some have been known to give it out, or church employees have decided to kindly “buy it as a helping hand” for parents here and are perfectly contented to turn a blind eye to it.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
Exactly-she wanted a role traveling to people's homes to install fire alarms...despite the fact she can't even drive 🥴
What was she going to do? Travel on the not very reliable and wholy expensive bus routes of Brentwood, with a bag for life filled to the brim with alarms?
She could use her designer trolley

• Haha
Reactions: 27
Her parents were foster carers so were used to looking after children. Jack could have asked them to look after their grandson full time for the four days that she worked, at least until she was able to sort out a more suitable arrangement.

It seems unlikely that they would take in children of strangers, but refuse to let their grandson move in for 4 days of the week. So either Jack didn't ask them, or they were unwilling to do so. They were clearly able to look after a child, because at that time they were looking after other foster children.

Unless they were only willing to look after children if they were paid to do so.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 42
I was thinking I might take one for the cabal and try her pancake recipe today (dates aren’t the boss of me) and I stumbled across this. How the hell does stirring 3 liquid things together in a jug have any similarity at all to making a white sauce? I know we know that she can’t make white sauce, but I can barely think of anything you could make that is further from it. May as well have said ‘combine them in a jug in the same way you’d cook pasta’ View attachment 440978
Also, 'similarly' is used incorrectly here.

Do not get me started on the use of commas either!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
Ive been on them for years due to anxiety. Never had any checks in relation to them.
I had them prescribed no issues and left to get on with it for over a year, until I saw a different GP at my surgery for something else and they picked up on it because of an issue I had as a child. I think a lot of how easy, or hard, it is to get a lot of pills (especially for mental health) really heavily depends on the GP you see.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
LEAVE ME ALONE.

Ahem @HotesTilaire put it better than me, I'm absolutely not suggesting that parents should have everything sorted immediately because I've seen plenty of surprises/unexpected events/costs etc (babies are just wild considering how small they are, it's energetically baffling, tiny black holes), but if you're listing off all this drama what do you expect your manager to say?

If it was one or two things, like childcare falling through or a massive budget fail, then yeah they could help but when it's everything I think I'd be tempted to ask her to talk me through how she thought it was going to pan out, if only to see where it all went so badly wrong in order to fix it!

ETA I'm tired and can't seem to express myself properly but @hollowhusk I'm not at all judging anyone, this just comes across as though she found SB in a cabbage patch one morning and kept him on a whim.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
Her parents were foster carers so were used to looking after children. Jack could have asked them to look after their grandson full time for the four days that she worked, at least until she was able to sort out a more suitable arrangement.

It seems unlikely that they would take in children of strangers, but refuse to let their grandson move in for 4 days of the week. So either Jack didn't ask them, or they were unwilling to do so. They were clearly able to look after a child, because at that time they were looking after other foster children.

Unless they were only willing to look after children if they were paid to do so.
The only way I can see it is if one of their foster children was fostered with the requirement that there not be younger children/toddlers effectively full time. I’m not sure what the age gap between the foster children and SB would have been for whether it’s a plausible explanation.

Reactions: 22
She plays the bleeping victim about everything. Jack, if you hadn't pretended to not be able to afford butter, and hadn't pretended to be vegan, there would be no "detractors" commenting when you do in fact use butter.

Also, how hilarious is it that she's got a whole chapter in her COOKBOOK trying to discredit "cruel online bullies"? No1curr.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 50
Apologies to any keto frauen, but I am violently opposed to the thought of drinking butter.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 48
Jack could have done all sorts, but I think where she is is exactly what she was aiming for.
The wide eyed naive "Blog got popular" schtick is one thing, fighting to stay relevant, moaning it doesn't pay, desperately trying to stay in public eye is something else.
Look at her lifestyle, it's a dream for most people.. most have to get up, commute, clock in, do their hours, commute home.
There were.plenty.ofmoptions Jack could have taken, could avoid all trolls, people calling her out on SM.. but Jack loves it, craves it, she wouldn't swap it for stacking the bakery shelves at Aldi or a decent office job doing 9-5.

• Heart
Reactions: 40
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.