Jack Monroe #150 Haven’t you got peas to discuss?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I find it really interesting that she always tells her fairytales in second-person. It's she can't commit to saying, "I did this", "I did that", "this happened to me".
That IS interesting. In effect, by her use of language she’s distancing herself from it - because she knows it’s not true.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 53
Still a few pages back so this may have already been said, but it’s interesting how she has all these ‘gifts’ from ‘friends’ now but when she was ‘poor’ not one of them gave her anything.

• Heart
Reactions: 60
I've finally managed to catch up. I was busy OK? (I had a couple of days binge watching a few TV series, more of that later. )

I have tons of comments I could make on the topics covered, but you lot have said everything that needs to be said.

I will just add 2 things.

Why has she got a drawer full of old lost then found bank cards when the bank has reissued new ones? Surely you would cut the old ones up and throw them away. They are no longer of any use and would be easy to get mixed up with the newly issued one. She is a Liar.

Why are the soup bowls so small. The spoon gives some perspective and the bowl is hardly any larger than the spoon. And with all that cutlery she is using a dessert spoon and not a soup spoon. Why?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 72
That IS interesting. In effect, by her use of language she’s distancing herself from it - because she knows it’s not true.
I also found @Veronicaaa 's excerpt from the podcast interesting. Jack said 'there's a slight wrinkle in my story' and I just found it an odd way to talk about something that happened to you.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 61
Jack on a grunka, starts getting defensive about squash, her rabbit, and coriander.

"I would NEVER drink squash! These empty bottles are #gifted because Southend residents have wised up to the fact that, instead of recycling, they can just leave any old shite on my doorstep!"

"I LOVE my bunny! Look, he's alive! He gets so much fun and love and stimulation, I'm a verified animal lover! What guinea pigs?"

"Oh I can't stand coriander when it has any flavour, but boil it to oblivion so the only thing it adds to my soup is a stringy texture rather like getting a hair at the back of your throat? 😋😋😋"

Okay Jack, you are obviously OBSESSIVELY reading here and it is constantly affecting you (see: "people on the internet may say my parents are rich, BUT..." in that podcast).

With that in mind, why not start making the beige recipe cards you were supposed to be sending out weekly since September? It's coming up to 3 months since you last posted anything on your Patreon page, surely nobody is that BUSY?

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 82
The Grandfather of the Cabal on Urban 75 is the gift that keeps on giving. Here, in a June 2013 Guardian article reposted on her blog, Jack says this:

“I had a £27 grand a year job. I’ve not been brought up on benefits and a tracksuit watching Jeremy Kyle. I’m a middle class, well educated young woman who fell a bit by the way side. You think it doesn’t happen to normal people, and you think we are all scumbags, eating burgers and watching day time TV. It can happen to anyone.”

No wonder she deleted her blog. Our Grandfather (who hopefully isn't DEAD) is right: she really does see herself as the deserving poor, and the working class as worthless stupid scroungers.
I am absolutely REELING at Jack (correctly) identifying herself as middle class here, don't think I've seen that before.

• Haha
Reactions: 63
ooh, yay, a squig's asked if dash gets free roam of house and garden at any point!

can't wait for her to either ignore it or post another video of him 🙃

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
I'm watching the viggles pulling at that charity donation angle with interest. Surely if it's been done then it would have been clarified by now?

Reactions: 39
That's exactly it.

Here's some weird bits from Hunger Hurts:

"Then you start to take lightbulbs out. If they aren’t there, you can’t turn them on. Hallway, bedroom, small boys bedroom, you deem them unnecessary, and then in a cruel twist of fate, the Eon man rings the doorbell to tell you that you owe £390, and that he’s fitting a key meter, which will make your electricity more expensive to run. So you turn the hot water off. Cold showers were something of the norm in my old flat, where the boiler worked when it wanted to, so you go back to them." <---- The switching from second to first person and back again is jarring.

"Tomorrow, my small boy will be introduced to the world of pawnbroking, watching as his mother hands over the TV and the guitar for an insulting price"

Why is she talking like this about something that hasn't happened yet? It's like she's narrating a movie.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 56
That's exactly it.

"Then you start to take lightbulbs out. If they aren’t there, you can’t turn them on. Hallway, bedroom, small boys bedroom, you deem them unnecessary, and then in a cruel twist of fate, the Eon man rings the doorbell to tell you that you owe £390, and that he’s fitting a key meter, which will make your electricity more expensive to run. So you turn the hot water off. Cold showers were something of the norm in my old flat, where the boiler worked when it wanted to, so you go back to them." <---- The switching from second to first person and back again is jarring.

"Tomorrow, my small boy will be introduced to the world of pawnbroking, watching as his mother hands over the TV and the guitar for an insulting price"

Why is she talking like this about something that hasn't happened yet? It's like she's narrating a movie.
Finally! Proof that Jack IS telling the truth at last. She is a longtime fan of cold water therapy 😁

• Haha
Reactions: 46
That's exactly it.

"Then you start to take lightbulbs out. If they aren’t there, you can’t turn them on. Hallway, bedroom, small boys bedroom, you deem them unnecessary, and then in a cruel twist of fate, the Eon man rings the doorbell to tell you that you owe £390, and that he’s fitting a key meter, which will make your electricity more expensive to run. So you turn the hot water off.
Not sure if I'm getting muddled so excuse me if I'm wrong, but didn't she say they forced the door to fit a meter previously?

• Wow
Reactions: 34
That's exactly it.

Someone mentioned before it's like she's star of Jack. The Movie, and it does come across a bit like that when you see it written down that way.

Reactions: 44
Good Morning Cabal,
What time do you think LM will delete the comments on the Spring Rolls post on IG today? I’m stunned they’re still there! I’m going for midday. 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 26
I am absolutely REELING at Jack (correctly) identifying herself as middle class here, don't think I've seen that before.

I think that's the only time I've seen a receipt for it? So with that in mind, just plonking this screenshot here so it never gets lost 🥰

Screenshot_20210216-080853.png

Full article from 6/6/13 is still available on The Guardian website:

Thank you @Cunderthunt for digging it out!

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 53
Ugh. "You think it doesn't hapen to normal people" is such an awful and unsympathetic way (as is the rest of it). Just because you might have previously thought like that about people on benefits doesn't mean others do Jack. She is such a snob.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 66
Not sure if I'm getting muddled so excuse me if I'm wrong, but didn't she say they forced the door to fit a meter previously?
They forced the door much later, in a different home, after she was a bestselling author and her agent apparently stole loads of money from her.

It's here in this terribly overblown begging piece. The title reads like lyrics that Morrissey rejected for being too angsty.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 52
I've finally managed to catch up. I was busy OK? (I had a couple of days binge watching a few TV series, more of that later. )

I have tons of comments I could make on the topics covered, but you lot have said everything that needs to be said.

I will just add 2 things.

Why has she got a drawer full of old lost then found bank cards when the bank has reissued new ones? Surely you would cut the old ones up and throw them away. They are no longer of any use and would be easy to get mixed up with the newly issued one. She is a Liar.

Why are the soup bowls so small. The spoon gives some perspective and the bowl is hardly any larger than the spoon. And with all that cutlery she is using a dessert spoon and not a soup spoon. Why?
By using tiny bowls she can give tiny cost per portion, the fact each person would require multiple portion to make a normal meal is beside the point, if she can quote pennies per portion she is happy. Disingenuous

• Sick
Reactions: 47
Ugh. "You think it doesn't hapen to normal people" is such an awful and unsympathetic way (as is the rest of it) .Just because you might have previously thought like that about people on benefts doesn't mean others do Jack. She is such a snob.
Yes, for Jack "normal people" means middle class people.

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 58
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.