Jack Monroe #145 Mamapapa, why is all the food brown?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We have more difficulty convincing parents that their kids might benefit from being assessed - and some want to keep it secret from their kids. When you've got a kid who is literally bouncing off the walls, can't stop moving, can't stop tapping, can't focus for long enough to hear a five word sentence and/or shows enough characteristics of Autism for it to be practically a case of going down the list and saying Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes... - and then Mum or Dad chips in with an offended HOW DARE you suggest my child isn't perfectly normal, you're just tit at your job, they're perfectly fine at home, you're just picking on them to make it sound like it's not your fault/other protected characteristics are the reason why you're doing this/you just want an excuse to kick them out, it's really depressing, as you know that a) if they had that assessment, they'd be able to access additional support, special arrangements for examinations, less helpful staff would have no choice but to take their assessed needs into account during lessons and b) the poor kids would have an answer for why they find school/people/life in general so hard and it's not because they're fundamentally thick or a bad person.
We had a child that when they arrived the parents wrote to say under no circumstances were they prepared to discuss the fact that he may be autistic, he was to be given no concessions and just had to 'fit in' (both parents were teachers, and I worked very closely with one of them in a previous role), our senco tried to get them to change their minds but they refused, their child had 5 years of really struggling with us, just because you don't have a diagnosis doesn't mean that you don't have that condition.

I hope my posts haven't offended anyone, I need to get back to talking about slop!

Her tax return must be a nightmare. I pay a (non Sunday school teaching) accountant to fill in ours as it’s about 9 pieces of paper and I cba (I don’t even earn enough in the uk to pay tax). It makes me stressed out even thinking about all the different income streams and outgoings she should be keeping track of.
Prob why she filed late last year, wonder if they're in for this year?

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
I’ve said this before but I’ll say it again because it’s nice.

Jamaican Ginger Cake- bought.
Double Cream
Small tin of Mandarin segments (any brand will do)

Slice cake lengthways.
Whisk cream until thick.
Drain mandarins.
Softly softly 😉fold in half of the drained mandarins with the whisked cream and then sandwich the two halves of the cake together .

Basic and delicious.
ooh, Mom did similar in a xmas show but with pomegranate cos it's FANCY and called it a makeshift trifle or some such. obviously, jack won't remember that or she'd have had a go like she did at all the other trifles 🙃

I made it and it was OOOFT 😋

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
She's also certainly not a person I would describe as having "classic autism". I've used that term or similar when referring to individuals I've worked with in the past, and by it I mean people that exhibit all the most commonly known, 'classic' traits. A person that if you meet them, and have a basic understanding of autism, you'd likely suspect they were autistic within a few minutes of interacting with them. Jack in no way presents like that, so I cannot see why a GP would have uttered those words (insert Jimmy here).
It's a term used when submitting anonymised annual data to the Care Commission of people with autism and or/learning disorders known to the local authority in a particular year. Obviously this tends to be people who require more assistance or have complex needs of which autism is only one. Data includes type of housing, whether in employment and type of employment, who they live with, category of carer (eg family, spouse etc), whether they use day centres and so on. Aspergers is still used in this context as opposed to Classic Autism as well. 📐my employment!

Reactions: 20
I’ve said this before but I’ll say it again because it’s nice.

Jamaican Ginger Cake- bought.
Double Cream
Small tin of Mandarin segments (any brand will do)

Slice cake lengthways.
Whisk cream until thick.
Drain mandarins.
Softly softly 😉fold in half of the drained mandarins with the whisked cream and then sandwich the two halves of the cake together .

Basic and delicious.
Not only does that sound amazing, but ”basic and delicious“ could be a great Tinder bio if anyone’s looking!

All I know about Pythagorus comes from Philomena Cunk -

“His big idea was that everything in the world could be done with numbers... like in Argos.
Best known these days as the inventor of the triangle, a world without his ideas would be unthinkable, because there’d be no Dairylea, and no way of starting snooker”.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
ooh, Mom did similar in a xmas show but with pomegranate cos it's FANCY and called it a makeshift trifle or some such. obviously, jack won't remember that or she'd have had a go like she did at all the other trifles 🙃

I made it and it was OOOFT 😋
I first put it together when I was a teen ( 12-ish ?) and just learning about making things.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Don’t the mandarins make the cream curdle? It makes me think of mixing orange juice and milk...

• Wow
Reactions: 9
I'm laughing to myself because I've just remembered the time when Jack whipped her Twitter followers into a frenzy over her vegan crackling recipe which, to this day, still has not been made available to the public.
It was probably classified as a biohazard by the UK government and the recipe sealed in a vault for the greater good.

• Haha
Reactions: 27
I saw this under the post where Jack was complaining about people taking her recipes and it made me cackle. It isn’t aimed at Jack, but essentially it’s what she does with her own damn recipes. “Any herb will do”
1B68CE16-5BA3-4D60-B53E-DB8DBD2852A8.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 57
Don’t the mandarins make the cream curdle? It makes me think of mixing orange juice and milk...
Not that I recall , it was a recipe from a magazine and I’m hoping at least 3 Home Economists gave it the go ahead 😉.

• Haha
Not that I recall , it was a recipe from a magazine and I’m hoping at least 3 Home Economists gave it the go ahead 😉.

Adding a little bit of acid makes double cream thicken without whisking - it's usually lemon that's used for quick soured cream. Some tinned Mandarins aren't going to cause any alarming results...

Reactions: 18
Also, sending ❤ to everyone here with ADHD and/or autism, and to those who are parents of “neurodiverse” kids.
I have so much to say, and wanted to add my own experience and two cents, but I don’t even know where to start, and just ended up making this instead! 🤷‍♀️

CF38A9F1-9219-4BCC-8785-B29DFCB3EFD1.jpeg

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 87
I hated every second I had to do Maths but a quick Google informs me that Pythagoras' Theorem can be used by window cleaners, and painters/decorators to work out how tall a ladder they need to work safely. Given that Jack is neither of these things, I am just going to assume that she's full of tit, as I believe she is in literally every single area of her life.
But she is very tiny and may need it to work out how tall a ladder she needs to reach into her top cupboards

• Haha
If she’s telling them she can’t afford books/printing (and she probably is) the school may be doing drop offs rather than have people go to site. Other than that, they’d likely only go round under that guise if they were concerned about SB’s welfare and while she’s Jack, I doubt that’s the case.

It may also be bollocks and she’s just read other people mentioning drop offs...

ETA: in terms of the go to site, I have no idea about the geography of southend or how big/small SBs catchment is so full disclaimer that it may not be a realistic option for his school at all.
Or they wanted to do a welfare check

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 26
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.