Jack Monroe #136 We lived in a house, it had a roof

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Even by her standards, this pathetic.
I agree. Can't help but think it's a reaction to what tattlers were saying about her ludicrous photo of her "sleeping" perched on two chairs.

Who is so weird that they'd take a photo of someone sleeping rather than covering them with a blanket, closing the curtains, and shutting the door to give them peace?

Reactions: 45
just watched Mackie on Iplayer, at the start you can see how nervous she is with her hands and the coffee mug to be fair she didnt do too badly but one point I genuinely didnt get her bit about there once being a stigma to tinned tomatoes and now it being acceptable, was this ever thus ? new to me ?
I'm in my mid 50s, and as far as I know there's never been any stigma around tinned tomatoes, but I've been working class all my life, as have all the generations before me. Maybe it's just in Jack's world that they were stigmatised, as she was used to softly, lovingly, peeling fresh plum tomatoes, bought fresh from the farmers market, and carried home carefully so as not to bruise their delicate flesh. Me? I bought the cheapest tinned ones I could find, and still do.

• Heart
Reactions: 53
On a lighter note, there's a very interesting article in today's Guardian about how food trends happen. Miguel Barclay makes a big appearance and disses Instagram sellouts...

This bit also jumped out at me: Similarly, Lap-Fai Lee, a professional cook and tutor in Birmingham, finds chefs putting their “twist” on east and south-east Asian foods “laughable, juvenile, mildly racist. No western chef would put basil in carbonara...

Jack Monroe: hold my beer!

Interesting article. It does rather highlight Jack’s lack of respect for food - her homemade “togarashi” made with sumac, her “dhansak” which has no relation to the authentic dish other than lentils, her “parmigiana” made with pasta, etc.

I thought this quote was also interesting:
“With his 300,000 followers and bestselling cookbooks, Barclay is among an elite of Instagram faces who can pull a “five-figure sum, easily” as brand ambassadors.”
Jack has about the same number of followers and is a bestselling cookbook author, so presumably five figures is the going rate for her too. For the Linda McCartney promotion, for example. (Just in case any lurkers reading still think she is poor).

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 43
I googled and Patreon money is regarded as income, but donations are not and do not have to be declared for tax purposes. I wonder how much money Jack receives via her tip jar?

ETA She says she is asking for donations for the running of the website. ' If you use it and benefit, and would like to keep it going, please consider popping something in the tip jar.' Could that be construed as asking for payment for services, and hence the income liable for tax? And how much does it cost to run a website?

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 30
just watched Mackie on Iplayer, at the start you can see how nervous she is with her hands and the coffee mug to be fair she didnt do too badly but one point I genuinely didnt get her bit about there once being a stigma to tinned tomatoes and now it being acceptable, was this ever thus ? new to me ?
I mean I'm v late 20s so have never known not having access to fruit and veg all year around... but surely til about 40/50 years ago a lot of this stuff was tinned or seasonal because of imports and the associated expense?

And even in the 90s/00/now... I am middle class with Italian heritage and tinned tomatoes have gone in my nonna's, mum's and my own recipes my whole life?! It's like saying there's a stigma with baked beans or heinz soup! She's, as usual, chatting shite.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 55
I'm in my mid 50s, and as far as I know there's never been any stigma around tinned tomatoes, but I've been working class all my life, as have all the generations before me. Maybe it's just in Jack's world that they were stigmatised, as she was used to softly, lovingly, peeling fresh plum tomatoes, bought fresh from the farmers market, and carried home carefully so as not to bruise their delicate flesh. Me? I bought the cheapest tinned ones I could find, and still do.
The whole tinned tomato thing is just plain weird. Tinned tomatoes are a staple ingredient in many dishes and cuisines. And they are not like other tinned vs. fresh ingredients.

Take tinned vs fresh green beans. One is clearly very superior to the other.

Tinned tomatoes on the other hand, have clear uses in pasta sauces, stews, pizza toppings, etc. where you wouldn't use fresh tomatoes (or if you did, it would be a very different dish). You wouldn't use them in a salad or to top a bruschetta, would you? I have never heard anyone ever be snobbish about tinned tomatoes. It's not a thing.

• Heart
Reactions: 56
Maybe Cooper deployed his bottom gas to knock her out and Louisa took a photo for lols.

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Hmm louisa is about 6 foot tall isn't she? Just the right height to take that photo. Did she really leave or is it just a damage control PR exercise?

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 26
My old time best mate married an Italian guy and has lived there for 25 + years. Tinned tomatoes are a thing. Ffs. Has anyone seen the JO programme where he went into Italian primary schools, showed them veg and asked if they knew what it was? EVERY DAMN VEGETABLE. Including aubergines. Whiny fuckers going on about tins, ffs. STFU Monroe you boring bint

• Haha
Reactions: 35
The whole tinned tomato thing is just plain weird. Tinned tomatoes are a staple ingredient in many dishes and cuisines. And they are not like other tinned vs. fresh ingredients.

Take tinned vs fresh green beans. One is clearly very superior to the other.

Tinned tomatoes on the other hand, have clear uses in pasta sauces, stews, pizza toppings, etc. where you wouldn't use fresh tomatoes (or if you did, it would be a very different dish). You wouldn't use them in a salad or to top a bruschetta, would you? I have never heard anyone ever be snobbish about tinned tomatoes. It's not a thing.
If anything I’d say tinned tomatoes were the only tinned veg that didn’t have stigma, along with baked beans if you choose to count those as veg.

Reactions: 40
People take photos of Jack when she's sleeping rather a lot don't they? 🤔 I can only presume they either take a photo and send it to her, or she has no lock on her phone(s)...🤷

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 45
No I don’t think there has ever been stigma against tinned tomatoes. THAT MAN has said before to buy the tinned plum ones and mash them up as they are better tomatoes but that’s all I’ve ever heard. She is making stuff up.

Reactions: 37
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.