Jack Monroe #126 Dangling her fl*ps over a Cotswold sideboard like none of it matters

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wanted to say someting about sometimes having tins with a ringpull and sometimes using an opener, but I was too bored with it to actually write it down. Djeezo what a boring topic. (I do have opinions about tinned tomato brands as in some regions of Italy the workers are terribly exploited :cry:).

As for tin opener poverty, when an organisation I'm liaised with handed out food parcels during lockdown to households in need we did have a young refugee that could not open the tins because he had no opener (so we managed to buy him one and made sure we had a bunch to hand out when needed). However, that was mostly a logistics problem (people being improperly housed and badly taken care of ) than a specific 'tin opener poverty' problem.

Someone already raised this need to slice up al the different type of poverty (food poverty, fuel poverty, transport poverty) and I notice that in my work as well and sometimes think: It's just f*cking poverty!!! We just need a fairer distribution of resources regardless of the 20 different subcategories.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 45
I'm so annoyed this piece of artistry and comedy has been ruined by...actual Shia LeBouef :mad:
Sorry I am skipping ahead but if I was Andie MacDowell I'd definitely be locking my daughter in her room for the foreseeable.

Reactions: 17
E9DAF6CB-88CC-4E3B-BCE4-B6E6ED005B28.jpeg

Captain Samuel Vimes’ ‘Boots’ theory of socioeconomic unfairness? Completed it, mate.

21F8F309-CDF3-4D30-92FF-3CA4590FBEDF.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
She'll start on vegetable peelers next, since it's been mentioned here (where she never reads...)

• Haha
Reactions: 27
Even if its a typo, how the duck do you get '9' instead of '10'?

This ended me!! 😆😅😂😂😂
I have SEVERE dyscalculia (tbh it is pretty bad but I just try to get on with it and see the funny side), and even I’m like, yep, HOW the duck did THAT happen!?!
This really made me sit up and pay attention. My emotionally abusive ex did this to me: he told me his daughter was 11, when she was really 10 as a weird gaslighting set-up. ("What? No, she's 10? How would I forget the age of my own daughter?" etc).

If she's really in the habit of lying so casually about these things (because, honestly, you don't forget your kids' ages when they're that young) then that's a seriously dangerous place to be in.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 29
I've spent most of the Christmas break catching up slowly here, only to discover that I've finally entered real time during the 'Great Tin Opener Era' as supposed to 'Exaggerated Covidiot Era' or the 'How It's Lefty To Write For The Daily Express Era'. I don't feel I've picked the best time to join back in. New chaos plz.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 62
She's being boring. Come on Jack, do better!
Her advice is, as ever, totally useless and creates potential issues. Why not simply regularly tweet about how you can give to foodbanks, where to find out what your local foodbank needs, links to the Trussell Trust, mention how financial donations are really welcome, etc.

The picture varies a lot of what is needed in certain areas, and what isn't. I follow my local foodbank on social media and often see posts along the lines of 'please ,please, no more sanpro, we honestly have enough' and I think some of those donations are due to an article about 'period poverty' or some influencer writing about it, but it actually isn't a huge problem where I live. My local foodbank has asked for gluten-free products for example. They clearly need them, but that may or may not be true elsewhere.

• Heart
Reactions: 40
Her advice is, as ever, totally useless and creates potential issues. Why not simply regularly tweet about how you can give to foodbanks, where to find out what your local foodbank needs, links to the Trussell Trust, mention how financial donations are really welcome, etc.

The picture varies a lot of what is needed in certain areas, and what isn't. I follow my local foodbank on social media and often see posts along the lines of 'please ,please, no more sanpro, we honestly have enough' and I think some of those donations are due to an article about 'period poverty' or some influencer writing about it, but it actually isn't a huge problem where I live. My local foodbank has asked for gluten-free products for example. They clearly need them, but that may or may not be true elsewhere.
A friend of mine regularly donates to our local food bank. He always rings them before he does a big shop and asks what they are shirt of, then he bulk buys the item and delivers it to them.

We will leave out the whole fact he religiously votes Tory and thinks I am “a Commie“ 😂. In reality he is a social and internet Troll winding people up and watching them spin. Love and hate him but his heart is good and he’d help anyone in need.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 28
just catching up but if tins without ring pulls are such a barrier for the poor why does she with this knowledge donate cans without ring pulls?
Cos she’s a total muppet, and who knows if she did donate or again was it more Monroe cosplay? They could be her brexit tins for all we know 🤷‍♀️

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
She's being boring. Come on Jack, do better!
She is being super boring but it feels like she’s just doing it so squigs will comment “oh Jack, you’re sooooooo good at your craft! So thorough! there is no one on this planet who knows more about tins and ring pulls and can openers than you! LOOK AT HOW DEDICATED SHE IS! Here, have my winter fuel allowance...” etc.

Then she can reply “oh ha ha it’s just because I’m sooooo autistic“...

Reactions: 36
Cos she’s a total muppet, and who knows if she did donate or again was it more Monroe cosplay? They could be her brexit tins for all we know 🤷‍♀️
They were donated in March 2015, so definitely not her Brexit tins.

From memory, she also posted photos of the receipts from Sainsbury's (deleted) but I can't remember if they were purchased via a fundraiser. If anyone wants to scroll, more info should be on her Facebook (I'm not on Facebook so only see public photos with no comments).

• Wow
Reactions: 24
I've got a collection from various beer festivals (the souvenir ones they expect you to keep rather than returning for the deposit). FANCY.
Beer festival glasses story time:

In 2010 I went to a beer festival and brought the souvenir glass home with me.

In 2011 I moved into a new RENTED flat and found amongst the miscellaneous tat previous tenants had left in the cupboards a glass from the same beer festival in 2005. Now I had a collection! I resolved that I would go to the festival again in 2015 and every five years thereafter and build up my collection. What fun.

In 2012 I smashed the 2010 glass while washing up. Collection plan cancelled.

In 2013 I came across another 2010 glass in a charity shop. Collection plan back on! Only two more years to wait to get the next installment!

In 2014 I smashed the 2005 glass and gave up on the idea. I dunno what became of the second 2010 glass, I didn't end up going to the beer festival in 2015, and I imagine the 2020 one was cancelled anyway, so turns out it was all for the best.

End of beer festival glasses story time.

Edit: Back on topic (sort of), I remember reading somewhere that, whether you open your tins with a tin opener, a ring pull or a hammer and knife, you should leave the top circley bit attached to the tin, rather than removing it completely. This is because apparently the little circles can't be recycled if they're unattached because they're too small and sharp I think? So for maximum recycling potential, leave them partly un-opened!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.