Jack Monroe #115 I can’t work out the timeline

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
View attachment 337643
Wonder what she's up to today. Not really showing the jacket very well in the photo. Just that it's a luxury brand.
BHF is, in my experience, a pricier charity shop. the big charity shops also routinely sift out designer items for ebay.

now I'm not saying that tag has been pulled off another item and placed there... but I am suspicious 🧐

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 55
Years ago when I was on my own with two toddlers theres was a daytime tv prog about budget cooking. The presenters hadnt a clue and I wrote (yes wrote) to the show saying the people who know about managing on very little are the people who manage on very little and what they say matters. They replied and invited me on the show and were to pay my fare to London. I asked if they would pay for childcare and they said no so it never happened. Which was my point really. They didnt understand the real cost.
So when JM got publicity from hunger hurts I thought it was great. She knew the score. Or so I thought. As she got more money she got more entitled and less reflecting what's it's like to manage on a budget. And Salad Slime and That Man got to me. She should be using her platform to help people who are in poverty NOW to have a voice. I found this site thru lime goss. Dont even know if it's the same thing.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 65
View attachment 337643
Wonder what she's up to today. Not really showing the jacket very well in the photo. Just that it's a luxury brand.
Oh goody, more grey..😬
the way it's sitting on the hanger is making my teeth itch, hope she's gonna steam it before wearing it to her next shareholders meeting 🥰🥰🥰

• Haha
Reactions: 18
BHF is, in my experience, a pricier charity shop. the big charity shops also routinely sift out designer items for ebay.

now I'm not saying that tag has been pulled off another item and placed there... but I am suspicious 🧐
What they said. I've had bargains from BHF ,but a jacket is usually around a tenner!

Reactions: 24
That 50p jacket is horrible. She's short so it will be too long on her. I agree with sustainable fashion, annd wearing well made things from charity shops.... but this looks ugly and I reckon smells musty, of fags or mothballs.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 23
It's a very business like jacket. I wonder if our heroine Jack is doing some of her valuable behind the scenes work. Perhaps she will storm the Brexit negotiations, bang a few heads together before rounding off with a howlin' clawin' tale of Whoops fish fingers. Then again it could be something more low key, just a major chain consulting her on some new menu ideas, will we hear the excited cries of "The lady from crappy Bungalow- she says YES" or will they have to go away and blend their new menu to a slop like consistency before getting the coveted Jack endorsement? Of course it's also possible the middle class media have FINALLY decided to listen to our Working Class Hero and 'ave a butchers at her receipt collection.

I won't lie I am buzzing here.

• Haha
Reactions: 45
She's trying to prove her charity shop finds now 🙄. I've never heard of this brand but I assume it's FANCY to suit our Jack's high-end fashion tastes!

• Haha
Reactions: 26
I love that Eamonn's face from that is forever immortalised here! Such a funny mix of disbelief, confusion and a faint hint of a grimace threatening to creep out. Imagine if he'd had to try some 😂.
It was wonderful. He genuine went through a whole range of emotions in one expression.
WTF
Bewilderment
Disgust
Laughter
Crying
Is this what my career has come to?
Pity
Horror
Is Noel Edmunds reviving Gotchas because this is definitely a wind up.
Is this actually happening?

All in one little face...

• Haha
Reactions: 40
In the context of £20 shop, twitter users might be interested in following the author Frank Cottrell-Boyce. Each year at Advent, his family lives a budget of £1 per person per day and absolutely nothing from the store cupboard except salt. It's a struggle and really highlights the implausibility of Jack's shopping hauls.
I realise it's a privilege that Frank can choose to do this, and it's done to raise awareness and funds for a charity.
By the time his family have had unseasoned dhal for 3days, you realise how lucky you might be to have a cupboard full of spices and a tin of assorted oxo cubes.

ETA - his joy last year when he realised that a local indy grocery shop sold spices in small amounts. Too late for 2019 budget, but hopefully for this year.
We do a thing called 'live below below the line' here at work. You are given a pound a day to feed yourself. It's very hard, and very dull. It really brings things home.

(we work with a small charity in Malawi, and that's the average a Malawian person spends each day on food, some much less)

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 27

50p! it's been a long time since you could buy a jacket in a charity shop for 50p. I think Jack needs to go sit on that designated bench and have a long hard think about how she could improve her lies.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 51
I volunteer at a charity shop 🔺that tries to price things on the cheap side and there is no way we’d sell a jacket for 99p starting price. Jackets and dresses are usually priced at £4.99 but high end stuff like this may get an extra quid or two slapped on. To be that cheap it must be in bloody poor condition - although I’m suspicious as if it was so bad as to be priced at 49p (it wasn’t snapped up at 99p??!) it would in all likelihood have gone in the recycling bin.

Reactions: 42
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.