Jack Monroe #115 I can’t work out the timeline

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh my bleeping life, please don't remember Jack at Glasto.
"Morning boys!" I wandered over to the Fire Brigades Union tent opposite ours, swinging half a bladder of white wine on Saturday morning. "We're up and off, so can I tempt you with my leftover warm chardonnay?" They eyed it suspiciously, and I realised it bore more than a passing resemblance to an extremely large and full catheter bag.
This is one of my favourite Jack articles! 'morning boys' makes me die. Also this bit where she gets angry and defensive at the thought of people possibly thinking she's fancy for taking a proper espresso maker to a festival.

Attachments

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 48
This is one of my favourite Jack articles! 'morning boys' makes me die. Also this bit where she gets angry and defensive at the thought of people possibly thinking she's fancy for taking a proper espresso maker to a festival.
I like the reference to the ‘muddy young things’ when she was, er, 26.

• Haha
Reactions: 37
Waaaiit.... Is she calling herself a chef!? I would assume she means allegra.. But the whole thing is such an an Ode To Jack, its hard to tell

• Haha
Reactions: 35
But..but..she doesn’t call herself a chef?!

But..but..she doesn’t call herself a chef?!
You beat me to it @Peachy9

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Ewww. I just read the Glastonbury piece. There's something so....overblown and puffy about her writing. It makes me think of a school essay. "What did you do in the summer holidays?"...that kind of thing.

The humblebragging is just noxious.

• Haha
Reactions: 59
The coffee she never/rarely drinks?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 42
Oh my bleeping life, please don't remember Jack at Glasto.
"Morning boys!" I wandered over to the Fire Brigades Union tent opposite ours, swinging half a bladder of white wine on Saturday morning. "We're up and off, so can I tempt you with my leftover warm chardonnay?" They eyed it suspiciously, and I realised it bore more than a passing resemblance to an extremely large and full catheter bag.
This is an amazing account of our Cockney Sparrow Jack making her Glasto debut.

"I grinned and shyly squeaked in a very small voice: "Um, so, hello Glastonbury." Billy struck up the introduction for the third time, and I noticed everyone was roaring along with me as I was singing in a broad cockney accent. And I was singing. On stage. At Glastonbury. And I didn't throw up on my boots."

ETA: The first comment below the article!

Screenshot 2020-12-07 at 22.11.57.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 77
She took an espresso machine to Glastonbury?
Bit strange considering she doesn’t drink coffee 🤷‍♀️

Actually I could have just stopped that sentence at “bit strange” couldn’t I? 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 45
The photos accompanying the article are so blurry.

It's nowhere near one of her worst pieces of writing, I don't think she comes across quite as badly as usual. Not a compliment, by the way, just that I think her usual style of unrestrained ego paired with unrestrained victimhood claiming is a lot worse.

Definite hints in that article (coffee pot), but subtler than her usual screeds. I think she is talking about Allegra when she says about the benefits of taking a chef to Glasto.

Also, I might be wrong, but does she actually manage a whole article without a reference to "the poverty"?!?

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 40
I actually can't believe she was comissioned to write a Dear Diary article about Glastonbury. Full of name dropping, Roz darling, Dear Heart Billie Bragg.

Funny how she's has no association with that set at all now, mind. Which was arguably when she was at her most famous (189th most important gay).

• Haha
Reactions: 43
I've not read this before, but this stood out for me. Her "accidental foray too close to the dance tent," where she "scurried away again, terrified by all the scantily clad muddy young things."

For goodness sake how old was she then?' 26? Terrified by people her own age having a dance, what on earth for, what does she think they were going to do to her? They weren't "young things" they were people her own age and probably a bit older. She sounds like an old grandma tutting at the goings on today.

Christ I used to go clubbing up untill a few years ago, certainly after I was 60. When lockdown is over, I might go again, anyone here like to join me, or would you all be terrified?

Frightened of a dance tent, frightened of the underground, she'll be frightened of her own shadow next. She needs to get a grip.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 94
Have we got her as band member on the list of jobs? Warning she’s attempting to sing, but just before this gig...she lost her voice! Shocker, Jack gets ailment before work 🙄
This was her pre-glasto set, she was just a humble busker. Her voice over is posh jack, meets Billy and it’s awwwright geeeza!

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.