Jack Monroe #114 i, slopbot

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The trainers look like something I'd imagine Mafia snitches being trawled out of bodies of water wearing, except in a more concrete colour.

• Haha
Reactions: 36
Her various description of how she was allegedly diagnosed never reflects how the healthcare system works. Go private, whatever, but admit it, because it's very misleading to the squigs who may be struggling. My experience of it all, relating to my daughter, have been pretty much which wall do I bang my head against now? It certainly isn't as quick and easy as Jack likes to make out.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
Okay, the “to reiterate” gaslighting has enraged me and I’m feeling slightly fixated but had to google jack + butter for my own sanity, to find those woe-is-butterless-me tweets but found this hilarious article instead. Kinda explains the butter angle. It’s called Poverty: The Butter Test. Apologies if this article has been shared before.

Memorably section:

“Monroe is now largely vegan, but she remembers the moment she first realised she was "properly poor" - and it involved butter. "It wasn't that I'd had the heating off for a year, it wasn't that I couldn't replace the light bulbs in my hallway, and it wasn't that I'd basically sold everything me and my son owned to try and pay the rent...”

“It was when I was in the supermarket and realised I couldn't afford to buy butter any more - I lost my s***. I was like, 'That's it, I'm properly poor now, I can't afford butter', and I refused to buy margarine. That was my rock bottom. It was the last luxury to go. I gave up heating and lighting before I gave up my weekly block of butter. I realised if I put that back, I could have an extra bag of pasta, a tin of carrots and some button mushrooms. It was awful - I bought some 40p lard for cooking with and was slightly disgusted with myself."

I guess I’m not properly poor. Got butter in the fridge. Good lord.
Weekly pack? Does one person with small child use a pack of butter a week?

Reactions: 19
Okay, the “to reiterate” gaslighting has enraged me and I’m feeling slightly fixated but had to google jack + butter for my own sanity, to find those woe-is-butterless-me tweets but found this hilarious article instead. Kinda explains the butter angle. It’s called Poverty: The Butter Test. Apologies if this article has been shared before.

Memorably section:

“Monroe is now largely vegan, but she remembers the moment she first realised she was "properly poor" - and it involved butter. "It wasn't that I'd had the heating off for a year, it wasn't that I couldn't replace the light bulbs in my hallway, and it wasn't that I'd basically sold everything me and my son owned to try and pay the rent...”

“It was when I was in the supermarket and realised I couldn't afford to buy butter any more - I lost my s***. I was like, 'That's it, I'm properly poor now, I can't afford butter', and I refused to buy margarine. That was my rock bottom. It was the last luxury to go. I gave up heating and lighting before I gave up my weekly block of butter. I realised if I put that back, I could have an extra bag of pasta, a tin of carrots and some button mushrooms. It was awful - I bought some 40p lard for cooking with and was slightly disgusted with myself."

I guess I’m not properly poor. Got butter in the fridge. Good lord.
How did I miss this ever? I worked there early 2000s and it’s in my home town. Can’t have had much a fuss made of it online or I would have seen.
surely you would buy margarine if you couldn’t afford anything else? Good for cooking and baking I suppose. Being poor and snobby about butter/marg? A lot of people don’t have the choice to be snobby and would be grateful for margarine.

Reactions: 26
Her various description of how she was allegedly diagnosed never reflects how the healthcare system works. Go private, whatever, but admit it, because it's very misleading to the squigs who may be struggling. My experience of it all, relating to my daughter, have been pretty much which wall do I bang my head against now? It certainly isn't as quick and easy as Jack likes to make out.

Monroe’s followers think that she is poor, scraping fallen pennies from a tit-filled gutter to put onto her electric meter key. You know, the same type of people that think Katie Price is a good mum and that the Radfords really have a magical pie shop that supports them.

There will be a few doctors holding their heads in their hands as another squiggle wanders in demanding a diagnosis using symptoms from the Cook herself.

”But no, Ms Squiggle, your symptoms sound more like that of an attention-seeking bleep. No, there isn’t a cure beyond staying off social media until you’re more mature. Probably should toss out your celebrity magazines like Heat too - exposure to Gemma Collins and Rochelle Hume might make your symptoms worse.

I got into £80,000 of student debt at medical school for this.”

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 48
Just putting this here as a depressing reminder of how Jack's £20 shop isn't just useless, it's actively damaging.

Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 08.10.55.png

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 71
I don’t suppose anyone else has happened upon her stories from Instagram?

Not sure what to make of it.

But the page who tagged her also tagged Hannah Gadsby who I like so now I am a bit 🙃.

• Wow
Reactions: 13
I don’t suppose anyone else has happened upon her stories from Instagram?

Not sure what to make of it.

But the page who tagged her also tagged Hannah Gadsby who I like so now I am a bit 🙃.
Seems very random. Just visible lgbt people maybe? Or some kind of award, god forbid. She very rarely does stories so it’s rare that she shared it. I am also 🙃

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
It may be along the same lines as last night..... her MO will now be a MH campaigner who champions LGBT rights.

The article may have forced her to change tack.

It is too early in the weekend for me to comment on this.

Reactions: 16
Double grunk so apols if anyone’s said this, but as someone with an ‘interesting’ history of eating and body image, she’s wearing those chunky trainers cos she thinks they’ll make her legs look skinnier. In my humble opinion only, your honour.

Yes but IT’S RENTED !!!
It’s bleeping gorgeous. (And proves the previous triangulation I’d done of her address wrong)

Concerned that I’ve been jealous of her hair and now her interiors in the space of 24 hours. Am I Jack?

• Haha
Reactions: 30
I strongly agree with your last sentence there, but until ADHD coaches are available on the NHS, in the same way that counselling is, it’s not the same. And I really wish it was, trust me!
I just think that’s why it’s a sore point when JM just casually mentions/advises that some people get ADHD coaching, when in reality, it’s (in my opinion/circumstance) really not affordable. I‘ve attached an example. I really hope I’m wrong @HotesTilaire ! x

ETA - I really don’t mean this post in a snarky way, Hotes, you’re so lovely, I just really hope there is some kind of affordable, additional support available out there for myself and the other ADHD fraus here.
View attachment 335408
ooo i recognise where this has been screenshot from! but yes totally agree, i’m under an NHS psychiatrist and there’s definitely no therapy or coaching available in my area or any that i’ve heard people in other areas talking about so she is massively showing her privilege and promoting unrealistic expectations.

doesnt take away from the fact that coaching or ADHD specific CBT does exist and is beneficial but AFAIK it’s just private route and is ££££££, especially if you already need to pay for private treatment for medication :(

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Double grunk so apols if anyone’s said this, but as someone with an ‘interesting’ history of eating and body image, she’s wearing those chunky trainers cos she thinks they’ll make her legs look skinnier. In my humble opinion only, your honour.
I cannot understand these trainers. Kids used to wear them at the school I taught at.

However, posh students now wear them with oversized clothes.

Once again, she tries to act much older than she is but then does things that a teen would do.....

Why do we spend soooooooo much time thinking about this?

Reactions: 19
I wish she'd duck off with the no butter bullshit.
Blue Band margarine, mate.
Try that tit on for size. Back then it genuinely tasted like melted carrier bags.
I have no idea if it still exists. I live in Ireland where we 'grow' the best butter in the world!
My sister and I couldn't wait to go to our Grandparents for the holidays so we could have butter again.
(We were taken away from them and given to our inadequate mother because some judge decided 'children need to be with their mother...' Bet he had butter, the bleep.)

ETA.. It looked like this and was probably still 100% better than lard!

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.