Jack Monroe #110 Hands up, who likes me?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
urgh I’m catching up so I’m sure this is butting into a nicer conversation, but this just made me feel sick to my soul it was so accurate. I had to move countries because of my narc, as a rule they don’t like it when you get away and I 100% believe he would kill me if he ever got the chance. The inability to let go of grudges is terrifying.

Reactions: 51
From ‘Tin bolognese’:

The irony just completely passes her by, doesn’t it?

Also from ‘Tin bolognese’ we have Exhibit AABY, which really says everything in a snippet of one sentence about her approach to cookery:

Reactions: 46
I'm on a grunka so I'm not totally caught up with this thread, but I just saw the tweet about her never having made a quiche before and... I could have sworn I made a quiche from one of Jack's recipes in about 2014-15ish. I remember there being mustard in the pastry (but I'm not sure if that was her addition or mine tbh). Maybe it wasn't a quiche and it was some sort of tart or something? I'm going to see if I can find the recipe.

Reactions: 16
I want to share too, because the alcohol talk from JM can really make me see red. My good buddy, someone I’ve grown up with (we’re both still in our 20s, just barely), has been fighting for his life throughout this pandemic. He has cirrhosis and is on the brink of liver failure, but he’s managed to get sober through a detox centre and he’s doing okay-ish. I know some sober people who enjoy a non-alcoholic beverage occasionally, but mostly for ceremonial reasons (ex. having an AF beer at a baseball game). But maybe there is a market there, who knows?

I have my own experiences using alcohol to self-medicate as a mostly non-speaking autistic kid. But I’ve never reached a point like my friend did. I’d never write a woe-is-me + sorry-I’ve-been-awful article announcing I’d been sober for a week in a national (well, international) newspaper. Maybe try the sobriety for a year and then write about some insight? Maybe save that story for an AA meeting? Maybe get into confessional poetry because I don’t understand who this article is serving?

I feel hypocritical here. I don’t want to be a gate-keeper and say someone doesn’t have a drinking problem or can’t share their experiences, but when it comes to life-threatening addictions you do it responsibly! I also can relate a bit if JM is autistic and struggles with speaking in high pressure situations. I dunno. I can’t shake the feeling that it’s been exaggerated, that this article could’ve easily been about recognizing a problem with drinking and wanting to start the year sober, like so many people probably feel after New Year’s. Alcohol is an addictive substance. It’s addictive for everyone. It’s not uncommon to feel like you need to give up booze to gain back control.

That article was the first time I rolled my eyes at this performative mess. Only seems worse with the casual mention of relapses (itty-bitty ones) on Twitter. If my friend mentioned a relapse I’d be on the phone or jumping a train to go see him, even in this pandemic, because it might be the thing that kills him.

I once sent my friend a picture from a party last year, because I’d run into a mutual friend of ours. There were bottles of alcohol in the shot. He called me and asked nicely that I never send him any photos with booze visible. I don’t think he’d enjoy buttery AF mulled wine with his beet burger hockey pucks and bowls of unruly slop.

Declaring you’re sober to the whole world one week into recovery (if we’re using the AA alcoholism is a thing framework) makes about as much sense as a “food expert“ never making a quiche before.

(I can hear the objections : “It was to hold myself accountable! I want to share my journey and shed light on this issue! Visibility! What?! It’s not like I’m making a movie about it. I passed on selling the movie rights decades ago. For the sake of my family. Would you do that? Stay out of my business, you know, the personal life I bang out across my many Guardian bylines.” )

Reactions: 77
omg sorry for my false info on £1.3k! Hers is a legit Chesterfield, the base of the seat is identical. Well found frau.

Cue outrage that Miguel is allowed nice chairs and solids without interfering ninnies
I've got a Fancy 'Captain's Chair' for my desk, without all that padding and leather. Mind you, it doesn't birl round either.

Cost all of £30 at an auction.

Reactions: 18
This is actually pretty depressing esp straight after @TVC15's post but I can't help but notice that this is the third mention of alcohol she's made today. Mulled wine, brandy, and now cider.

Reactions: 50
I'm not an expert, unlike jack ofc, but I'm sure hyenas aren't known for eating out of pans, let alone with soft softy soft bread in their paws

Reactions: 65

Canal comrades, how often do you turn to a recipe book when you cook? I only really use recipes when I'm baking because that's a science. For a supposed cook to boast that they 'didn't even consult a recipe' is like a toddler declaring they did a poo in the potty all by themselves.

Oh and £4 for mussels that yield very little meat - that is such an economical dish (not). Personally, I'd rather pay £3.75 for a 500g tub of 'not on offer' Lurpak than £4 for enough mussels for 1 greedy Jack.

Reactions: 63
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.