Jack Monroe #110 Hands up, who likes me?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Wow a very deep question this morning. I don't have an answer but I do have some experience. I had a narc in my life. He did some truly evil things, criminal things in fact, some things that only came to light after police became involved, things I could never have believed him capable of. But now it all makes sense. When you are close to a narc it is harder to see. They isolate you from friends and family. They are all ego and will alternate from abuse to affection. They can make you feel special one minute and worthless the next. They have a massive ego. They are never wrong and if you dare call them out then woe betide you. You never hear the end of it. Grudges are held and nurtured for years. I could not hold on to the anger and bitterness for years but somehow narcs do. Mine kept a record of everything whether it was trivial or not. To the rest of the world they put on a charming front which makes it harder to get people to believe you. They play the victim and twist your words to make you seem like the bully. You question everything. Control is essential, they must have absolute control over you and how others perceive them. As a victim you walk on eggshells all the time and you alternate between fear and confusion but the anger and in my case violence could come out of nowhere too.
I'm not sure how much can be helped but they knowingly lie, sustain lies and do either illegal or clearly immoral things. But I wonder if the narc mind rationalises bad behaviour as a necessary means to an end which again stems from the belief that they are never wrong. It's hard to know what really goes on in their mind but what I do know is that narcs are dangerous and destructive. If you can extricate yourself from a narc relationship then do so as soon as possible. It's not easy though. In our case it took decades. If you don't know what normality looks like then the narc life is your normal and you accept and excuse a lot of behaviours, more so if the narc can claim some sort or victim status. It's easier to spot if you've been a victim or are looking in from the outside.
urgh I’m catching up so I’m sure this is butting into a nicer conversation, but this just made me feel sick to my soul it was so accurate. I had to move countries because of my narc, as a rule they don’t like it when you get away and I 100% believe he would kill me if he ever got the chance. The inability to let go of grudges is terrifying.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 51
From ‘Tin bolognese’:
F5B8BB2A-A703-452F-B06B-825A5E92D296.jpeg

The irony just completely passes her by, doesn’t it? 😕

Also from ‘Tin bolognese’ we have Exhibit AABY, which really says everything in a snippet of one sentence about her approach to cookery:

A23C0A49-3937-4C1B-B9A3-8866C47A0E96.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 46
I'm on a grunka so I'm not totally caught up with this thread, but I just saw the tweet about her never having made a quiche before and... I could have sworn I made a quiche from one of Jack's recipes in about 2014-15ish. I remember there being mustard in the pastry (but I'm not sure if that was her addition or mine tbh). Maybe it wasn't a quiche and it was some sort of tart or something? I'm going to see if I can find the recipe.

Reactions: 16
She's cooked the mussels in a stew with pears, guys.

"I didn’t follow or even consult a recipe for this" I mean, no tit, I very much doubt a mussels, pear and chickpea stew features on the BBC good food website.

• Sick
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 81
My dad was the same. His doctors decided he'd do less damage to himself by drinking a moderate amount instead of swinging between cold turkey and insane amounts. When he died a couple of years ago, he was already missing one leg and they were considering amputating the other one. Diabetes, liver failure, heart problems, none of it stopped him from going back to the booze. His body basically gave up.
I want to share too, because the alcohol talk from JM can really make me see red. My good buddy, someone I’ve grown up with (we’re both still in our 20s, just barely), has been fighting for his life throughout this pandemic. He has cirrhosis and is on the brink of liver failure, but he’s managed to get sober through a detox centre and he’s doing okay-ish. I know some sober people who enjoy a non-alcoholic beverage occasionally, but mostly for ceremonial reasons (ex. having an AF beer at a baseball game). But maybe there is a market there, who knows?

I have my own experiences using alcohol to self-medicate as a mostly non-speaking autistic kid. But I’ve never reached a point like my friend did. I’d never write a woe-is-me + sorry-I’ve-been-awful article announcing I’d been sober for a week in a national (well, international) newspaper. Maybe try the sobriety for a year and then write about some insight? Maybe save that story for an AA meeting? Maybe get into confessional poetry because I don’t understand who this article is serving?

I feel hypocritical here. I don’t want to be a gate-keeper and say someone doesn’t have a drinking problem or can’t share their experiences, but when it comes to life-threatening addictions you do it responsibly! I also can relate a bit if JM is autistic and struggles with speaking in high pressure situations. I dunno. I can’t shake the feeling that it’s been exaggerated, that this article could’ve easily been about recognizing a problem with drinking and wanting to start the year sober, like so many people probably feel after New Year’s. Alcohol is an addictive substance. It’s addictive for everyone. It’s not uncommon to feel like you need to give up booze to gain back control.

That article was the first time I rolled my eyes at this performative mess. Only seems worse with the casual mention of relapses (itty-bitty ones) on Twitter. If my friend mentioned a relapse I’d be on the phone or jumping a train to go see him, even in this pandemic, because it might be the thing that kills him.

I once sent my friend a picture from a party last year, because I’d run into a mutual friend of ours. There were bottles of alcohol in the shot. He called me and asked nicely that I never send him any photos with booze visible. I don’t think he’d enjoy buttery AF mulled wine with his beet burger hockey pucks and bowls of unruly slop.

Declaring you’re sober to the whole world one week into recovery (if we’re using the AA alcoholism is a thing framework) makes about as much sense as a “food expert“ never making a quiche before.

(I can hear the objections : “It was to hold myself accountable! I want to share my journey and shed light on this issue! Visibility! What?! It’s not like I’m making a movie about it. I passed on selling the movie rights decades ago. For the sake of my family. Would you do that? Stay out of my business, you know, the personal life I bang out across my many Guardian bylines.” 🤡💀)

• Heart
Reactions: 77
omg sorry for my false info on £1.3k! Hers is a legit Chesterfield, the base of the seat is identical. Well found frau.

Cue outrage that Miguel is allowed nice chairs and solids without interfering ninnies 😡
I've got a Fancy 'Captain's Chair' for my desk, without all that padding and leather. Mind you, it doesn't birl round either.

Cost all of £30 at an auction.

Reactions: 18
This is actually pretty depressing esp straight after @TVC15's post but I can't help but notice that this is the third mention of alcohol she's made today. Mulled wine, brandy, and now cider.

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 20.36.25.png

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 50
I'm not an expert, unlike jack ofc, but I'm sure hyenas aren't known for eating out of pans, let alone with soft softy soft bread in their paws 🥴

• Haha
Reactions: 65
1606336585463.png

Canal comrades, how often do you turn to a recipe book when you cook? I only really use recipes when I'm baking because that's a science. For a supposed cook to boast that they 'didn't even consult a recipe' is like a toddler declaring they did a poo in the potty all by themselves.

Oh and £4 for mussels that yield very little meat - that is such an economical dish (not). Personally, I'd rather pay £3.75 for a 500g tub of 'not on offer' Lurpak than £4 for enough mussels for 1 greedy Jack.

• Haha
Reactions: 63
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.