HomewithShan #6 Still ignores her kids & asks ‘why does George scream at me?’, would take a poke in eye for free

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh my goodness I've just watched the car seat video. She is really lost. I'm all for being gentle where possible but not when a child is unbuckling themselves while the car is moving. She tries to bribe him with sugar - this makes it seem like it's a negotiation and he'll get a treat whenever he does it. Then says we'll stop for 5 minutes and have a cuddle - now he knows he can get 5 minutes of cuddles whenever he fancies if he unbuckles himself.

I've been incredibly fortunate that my 4 year old only ever unbuckles himself once we're parked and the engine is off (we've explained why this is critical and he understands) but if he did this and being stern didn't work I'd show him videos of car seat safety tests and what happens to unrestrained passengers in accidents. She loves to play the victim and make out that she's tried everything and he can't be stopped, but this is basic safety and it's her job to figure something out even if it's hard.
Exactly- it’s common sense that you explain to the child the consequences of unbuckling themselves- ie you could die. He probably doesn’t realise why it’s so important not to unbuckle himself cos she’s never actually explained why….

Reactions: 3
Oh my goodness I've just watched the car seat video. She is really lost. I'm all for being gentle where possible but not when a child is unbuckling themselves while the car is moving. She tries to bribe him with sugar - this makes it seem like it's a negotiation and he'll get a treat whenever he does it. Then says we'll stop for 5 minutes and have a cuddle - now he knows he can get 5 minutes of cuddles whenever he fancies if he unbuckles himself.

I've been incredibly fortunate that my 4 year old only ever unbuckles himself once we're parked and the engine is off (we've explained why this is critical and he understands) but if he did this and being stern didn't work I'd show him videos of car seat safety tests and what happens to unrestrained passengers in accidents. She loves to play the victim and make out that she's tried everything and he can't be stopped, but this is basic safety and it's her job to figure something out even if it's hard.
My eldest unbuckled herself while we were on the motorway!! 😳 luckily I was right by an exit so came straight offand buckled her back in and told her it was dangerous

• Wow
Reactions: 1
Not that I'm being the poster child for gentle parenting but it's still gentle to tell your kid to bleeping stop it. Perhaps not those words 😂
It's not gentle parenting to tell your child if they buckle up they can have sweets. That's permissive. Gets you nowhere.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Not that I'm being the poster child for gentle parenting but it's still gentle to tell your kid to bleeping stop it. Perhaps not those words 😂
It's not gentle parenting to tell your child if they buckle up they can have sweets. That's permissive. Gets you nowhere.
Exactly this! I've just searched "seatbelt" in the Sarah ockwell smith gentle parenting group and nobody there suggested sweets are a way to get them to stop. There were loads of answers that could be helpful to someone who wanted help.

It just occurred to me that she's probably just on the beg for a new car seat for him.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 2
There are loads of things that she probably hasn't tried. She's told him no and he's carried on. That's 3 year olds. Put some toys in the back for him. We've got water colouring in books, picture books and a bag of figet toys. I know it's only a short drive but 7 minutes is a long time for a tired hungry child. Give him something to do instead of expecting him to behave like a robot.
---
It just occurred to me that she's probably just on the beg for a new car seat for him.
Of course!

My daughter undid her belt once while I was driving a busy road and I’m not proud to say I shouted big time (it scared me so much) she’s not used to hearing me talk to her that way and cried but touch wood she’s never done it again it shocked her so much. I tell her the car won’t start without seat belts on while putting mine on. I’d also never let her strap herself in when belts have to go properly on car seat she can help of course but did Shan expect George to do up his own seatbelt?!

My daughter undid her belt once while I was driving a busy road and I’m not proud to say I shouted big time (it scared me so much) she’s not used to hearing me talk to her that way and cried but touch wood she’s never done it again it shocked her so much. I tell her the car won’t start without seat belts on while putting mine on. I’d also never let her strap herself in when belts have to go properly on car seat she can help of course but did Shan expect George to do up his own seatbelt?!
Nothing to be ashamed of. As a gentle parent there is nothing wrong with shouting to get your child's attention. You're right because they aren't used it it shocks them. I've shouted at mine to stop running when a car is coming etc. Safety first. Before any kind of parenting style.

• Heart
Nothing to be ashamed of. As a gentle parent there is nothing wrong with shouting to get your child's attention. You're right because they aren't used it it shocks them. I've shouted at mine to stop running when a car is coming etc. Safety first. Before any kind of parenting style.
Shan's probably always shouting or talking to him in a raised voice so that's why when there is actually a reason to talk like that, it has no affect on him.

I don't know what I've done to reiterate the importance of seat belts but my LG even puts them on when she's playing with to cars that have them and refuses to move until it's on 😅

• Heart
  • Haha
My eldest use to complain about the seatbelt sometimes and I just explained "mummy wears a belt and daddy wears a belt, we all wear a belt!" and that's been enough for now 😂 But of course she has only just turned 2 and George is nearly 4 so the tide might change later on.

In general if you explain things to children regularly in a way that makes sense to them they eventually accept what you say. If you just shout at them without an explanation or try to bribe them they have no reasons to understand why to stop a behaviour.

Am I the only person irritated by her continuing to call George a toddler?
He’s a little boy now, not a toddler.

One of mine has literally reduced me to tears today. And I'm sat here like I could have handled this better, I should have done that, etc. Not slagging him off on the Internet to strangers.

One of mine has literally reduced me to tears today. And I'm sat here like I could have handled this better, I should have done that, etc. Not slagging him off on the Internet to strangers.
My 3 year old gets me like this sometimes. You’re doing a great job 💕

• Heart
Todays stories: advertising period underwear and spending half of the video with her jeans down her knees showing how great they look on her. Reaching a new 'influencer' low of advertising. If I I was the brand I'd want my money back.
I love how she says 'these are here to stay'. Will she say the same when they aren't #gifted?

Last video complaining about G - again.

He made a mess. Quelle surprise - Totally unheard of in toddlers! Because what 2-4 year olds normally do is to neatly take their clothes off and put everything they touch back to where it was precisely. Ist it? Who would've thought they could be messy, right Shan?

And she’s let him nap on the sofa at 5pm again. Why? Just why?
I came to say the same. Will she ever learn?!? So apparently just because daddy is home and he has no nursery tomorrow means he can stay up?!

My 3yr old fell asleep in the car for literally the last 2 mins of the drive home from our day out. I was so tired and would have loved to just plonk on the sofa while she napped but I knew if she had any sleep, we would pay for it at bedtime. Parked up, woke her up and had a bit of a wild 10 mins to perk her up then she was playing happily and bedtime was only 10 mins later than usual.

She's also banging on about period pants as if she's the first in the world to be given a pair. 😂 Sorry Shan but you're not, I've been using them for nearly 6 years now....she's also missed so many other benefits to use as advertising such an better than pads going into landfill, tampons blocking drains and how initial cost might be high but then you NEVER have to spend money on period stuff again..... If she uses those reasons now.....Hi Shan 👋🏽

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
The way she starts ads is such an ick like the pose with her arms crossed or drinking from a straw like we’ve just stumbled across her

• Haha
I came to say the same. Will she ever learn?!? So apparently just because daddy is home and he has no nursery tomorrow means he can stay up?!

My 3yr old fell asleep in the car for literally the last 2 mins of the drive home from our day out. I was so tired and would have loved to just plonk on the sofa while she napped but I knew if she had any sleep, we would pay for it at bedtime. Parked up, woke her up and had a bit of a wild 10 mins to perk her up then she was playing happily and bedtime was only 10 mins later than usual.

She's also banging on about period pants as if she's the first in the world to be given a pair. 😂 Sorry Shan but you're not, I've been using them for nearly 6 years now....she's also missed so many other benefits to use as advertising such an better than pads going into landfill, tampons blocking drains and how initial cost might be high but then you NEVER have to spend money on period stuff again..... If she uses those reasons now.....Hi Shan 👋🏽
You would make a much better influencer than her - I'm convinced :D

I'm the furthest from being a prude, but if I was doing the ad, I would just show the product, and even do close-ups so everyone can see how thin/great quality the material is etc. But there's no way I would put my jeans down and show my underwear knowing she has a high following and some of those might be pervvy men. Is it just me?

I already get unwarranted requests from men without doing any of those things, I can't imagine if I was pulling down my trousers as well. :oops:

• Haha
I didn't think what she did was outrageous considering she was doing an ad for underwear. I'd say most underwear ads show the person wearing the underwear. She didn't really show them very well though did she. Even though she pulled down her pants I still don't have a very clear idea of how they fit 😂

Shan did a tit job of selling them to me because she's so disingenuous and I don't believe she has ever worn them except to film that ad. She's going to use her own discount code and buy one for every day of the week? Ok Shan. What, did the company only send you ONE pair then?

@Puffin_island I am interested to try them for sure... is one pair a day enough or do you need to change them every few hours? do you just stick them straight in the washing or do you have to soak them separately and which brand do you think is best?🙏🏻

Last edited:
  • Heart
I didn't think what she did was outrageous considering she was doing an ad for underwear. I'd say most underwear ads show the person wearing the underwear. She didn't really show them very well though did she. Even though she pulled down her pants I still don't have a very clear idea of how they fit 😂

Shan did a tit job of selling them to me because she's so disingenuous and I don't believe she has ever worn them except to film that ad. She's going to use her own discount code and buy one for every day of the week? Ok Shan. What, did the company only send you ONE pair then?

@Puffin_island I am interested to try them for sure... is one pair a day enough or do you need to change them every few hours? do you just stick them straight in the washing or do you have to soak them separately and which brand do you think is best?🙏🏻
I actually love them for at night time - I would otherwise use a tena pant for heaviness

During the day I do change them, if you’re flow is heavy the blood does eventually start to pool on top and it doesn’t feel nice.

You rinse them first which is a bit eeh but you get used to it! Then I wash them with my normal clothes 🙈