Harry and Meghan #50 Are we invading Meghan and Harry’s privacy or are they invading ours?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I really feel for Brenda. She’s stuck in a dilemma. She knows she should take the titles away, but then that lets Nutmeg off the leash - there’s no way she’s not gonna do a tell-all interview/book like Diana and milk her experience for all it’s worth, even if it means the ball-less wonder leaving her.

The alternative is to make some deal with her to keep her mouth shut, and imagine having to keep paying out to that shameless famewhore year after year? And then there’s the ever-present fear of Meghan dying an untimely death like Diana, and screwing them over from beyond the grave like Rebecca DeWinter, because conspiracy theorists would be all over it, this time with accusations of racism that all the woke mafia will scramble to support.

Besides all that, there’s the question of Andrew. If they get the pink slip in March, everyone will say “well yeah, they are nobs, but isn’t Andrew worse? Shouldn’t he lose his title?” So letting him keep his title might be seen as a sign of condoning his behaviour. But then, if his title is taken away, it’s like an admission of his guilt...

I wouldn’t be her for all the crowns and titles in the world.

I think he is not going to lose his title of Prince but all other titles and visuals (events, balconies) will quietly evaporate. The photo of the queen in front of Windsor steps with W, K, Chuck, Cam, Ed and Sophie spoke volumes

But it wasn't a victory was it? Didn't they settle. Which until we know anything more could just mean "well if you agree to stop taking pictures we'll withdraw the case". Or have I picked it up wrong?
I don't get the impression that there was a payout as nothing was mentioned other than "we accept that the photos were a violation of your privacy and we promise never to do it again" by the administrator (not even the execs of the company or the photographer - the administrator who frankly had no skin in the game and could say whatever was asked just to make the administration process easier). I doubt very much that Smegs wouldn't have smeared that tit all over the place and rubbed Splash's nose in it if they had settled with a financial arrangement as well as the mea culpa from the administrators. Even if it was just paying legal costs or even just court costs. but there is zero mention of that as far as I can smell/see.
I suspect Schillings told Smegs that Splash was no longer, there was no pot of gold at the end of that rainbow and it wasn't exactly clear that she would win anyway. The only thing they could get was a mea culpa from the administrators who are required to fight for the corner of the creditors (and so salvage money wherever possible) in exchange for stopping the case.

So at the moment we have
- marriage is over rumours
- pregnant and baby due in June
- mysterious refusal to visit UK (COVID is the excuse) and zero family meetings since March.
- 'confidential reason' for delaying January trial (her team asked for October 15th at earliest)
- Megz booked into One Young World in April in Germany
- filming is continuing for Netflix documentary with heavy NDAs
- Spotify holiday podcast plus (maybe) more to come in 2021
- New PR team, threatened Arsewell launch, Omid saying 'seeing much more of them in 2021'

She's taking a lot of work on for someone with Baby Number 2 on the way...
I'm assuming that she will be dialling in for the April One Young World event, no? Because if she is knocked up, she cannot get on a plane after 7months and that would put her around the 7month mark, no?

Last edited:
Reactions: 15
So at the moment we have
- marriage is over rumours
- pregnant and baby due in June
- mysterious refusal to visit UK (COVID is the excuse) and zero family meetings since March.
- 'confidential reason' for delaying January trial (her team asked for October 15th at earliest)
- Megz booked into One Young World in April in Germany
- filming is continuing for Netflix documentary with heavy NDAs
- Spotify holiday podcast plus (maybe) more to come in 2021
- New PR team, threatened Arsewell launch, Omid saying 'seeing much more of them in 2021'

She's taking a lot of work on for someone with Baby Number 2 on the way...
The October date was not asked for. The trial has been estimated to run for x amount of time and that is the first date with 3-4 weeks with no other cases being heard of that duration.

Archie does not have a title so why would a brother/sister?

Reactions: 18
I don't get the impression that there's 'trouble at t'mill' as we say in Yorkshire. Quite the opposite. I think he seems happier than he has done in months and seems quite cosy with his Californication situation. A few months ago I thought he seemed really grumpy and unhappy. I don't get that feeling from him now. He seems a lot more...ensconced.

I think 'they' are pregnant in some form, and they have will have selected a girl from whatever embryos they had frozen. I'd put money on them calling her Allegra Diana as I believe Diana desperately wanted a girl and Allegra was apparently the name she had earmarked. We know how much he relates everything back to his mum, I imagine this will be no different. A girl would be much more merchable for Meghan too.

I can't for the life of me think of who she reminds me of in the recent video where she looks like a waxwork. A cross between MLP in the photo below and Emily Blunt, maybe? They all probably use the same surgeon so...

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 18
I have never been a fan of the Yorks - I've always thought Fergie a dreadful creature - but Andrew's 'crime' is a lapse in judgement for being friends with the paedophile Epstein, continuing to be friends with him and, finally, not acknowledging that this was poor judgement. None of those actions are illegal, though they certainly are not admirable. He is accused of having sex with a young woman who was over the age of consent in New York. There has been no trial and no verdict on this.

As far as Hazno leaving his handler: it will never happen. They have a classic co-dependent relationship where one person (Smeg) is in total control and the other (Hazno) is in thrall to them. When you add to this the fact that Smeg is a narcissist and Hazno is as thick as mince and emotionally stunted you have a marriage what will end only when the controller puts a halt to it.
He won't leave her. Not for years yet. She's in control and he's loving it. He's gone from one 'gilded cage' to another one, but this one includes blow jobs and hot roast chicken treats from an expert and gives him a partner in crime with which to vent all his childish ill tempered frustrations and bitterness out on his birth family. This life suits him for now and he thinks he's the hottest ticket in town because she's convinced him of that. He has utterly no interest in his family other than the regular cheques.
It's ironic that they are allegedly making another kid. She is not maternal. It will be done to reinforce her hold on his wealth and as a belt and braces security. A second child will be exactly what hazza has always resented ... a spare, just in case, but the irony of that will be lost on dopey dick. Also, no ill intent meant whatsoever but I suspect that all is not 100% perfect with archiedoll. If he was perfect then she'd be flaunting her perfect creation across the Murican media to rub the firm's noses in the fact that she can.
As for Phillip. I think that he's Brenda's touch stone on important decisions. The one person she trusts to be fully honest and who has her back. Watching the Princess Alice program gave me a great insight into the genes he inherited. His father was military and no nonsense loyal to the core and his mum was a grand daughter of Queen Victoria, so all in all he's certainly got the requisites to be a perfect back up to Brenda in all matters royal and loyal. If he tells her to bin the cunts she'll do it. She's dithering, understandably, and letting the hare sit but it's gone too far and I think she'll want this dealt with before Phillip pops his clogs. He's probly hanging in there determined to see the little ginger tit get his arse slapped hard by Brenda.😂

• Heart
Reactions: 36

This is a doozy of a read. Telegraph

He won't leave her. Not for years yet. She's in control and he's loving it. He's gone from one 'gilded cage' to another one, but this one includes blow jobs and hot roast chicken treats from an expert and gives him a partner in crime with which to vent all his childish ill tempered frustrations and bitterness out on his birth family. This life suits him for now and he thinks he's the hottest ticket in town because she's convinced him of that. He has utterly no interest in his family other than the regular cheques.
It's ironic that they are allegedly making another kid. She is not maternal. It will be done to reinforce her hold on his wealth and as a belt and braces security. A second child will be exactly what hazza has always resented ... a spare, just in case, but the irony of that will be lost on dopey dick. Also, no ill intent meant whatsoever but I suspect that all is not 100% perfect with archiedoll. If he was perfect then she'd be flaunting her perfect creation across the Murican media to rub the firm's noses in the fact that she can.
As for Phillip. I think that he's Brenda's touch stone on important decisions. The one person she trusts to be fully honest and who has her back. Watching the Princess Alice program gave me a great insight into the genes he inherited. His father was military and no nonsense loyal to the core and his mum was a grand daughter of Queen Victoria, so all in all he's certainly got the requisites to be a perfect back up to Brenda in all matters royal and loyal. If he tells her to bin the cunts she'll do it. She's dithering, understandably, and letting the hare sit but it's gone too far and I think she'll want this dealt with before Phillip pops his clogs. He's probly hanging in there determined to see the little ginger tit get his arse slapped hard by Brenda.😂
I think we all are hanging in there to see the little ginger twit get his come uppance. Otherwise it is just too revolting - the whole saga. utterly vile

• Heart
Reactions: 33

This is a doozy of a read. Telegraph

I think we all are hanging in there to see the little ginger twit get his come uppance. Otherwise it is just too revolting - the whole saga. utterly vile
Absolutely brilliant!!

How can they be seemingly oblivious to these absolute contradictions between words and actions!?!? Oh. Hang on.... she is the very definition of a narcissist and is as vacuous and devoid of humility and grace as can be.

• Haha
Reactions: 27
Absolutely brilliant!!

How can they be seemingly oblivious to these absolute contradictions between words and actions!?!? Oh. Hang on.... she is the very definition of a narcissist and is as vacuous and devoid of humility and grace as can be.
Honestly - I think she is a psychopath. seriously.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
The October date was not asked for. The trial has been estimated to run for x amount of time and that is the first date with 3-4 weeks with no other cases being heard of that duration.

Archie does not have a title so why would a brother/sister?
Tucked away in the reporting was the gem that Megz' team specifically asked for a date no earlier than October 15th.

It's also true as you say that once they shifted out of January for whatever reason, they were probably going to end up with October at earliest.

• Wow
Reactions: 14
Very likely, because from experience with narcissists, it's never ever their fault. Something/someone else made them do it. Something else caused them to be in a situation. Every time.

Mmm, what to believe.
I told you so! (Do I sound like I am 5? 😂).
The film was head and shoulders only... and now it will just be that and podcasts....
So either she is pregnant- or she has to make out she is- until baby Diana Dorito is born - and to keep Judge Warby off her case.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I told you so! (Do I sound like I am 5? 😂).
The film was head and shoulders only... and now it will just be that and podcasts....
So either she is pregnant- or she has to make out she is- until baby Diana Dorito is born - and to keep Judge Warby off her case.
Baby Diana Dorito 🤣🤣 brilliant 👍

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Article from The Times if anyone interested. It's long, so it's in a spoiler tag to spare those on mobile! There's nothing new here as far as I can tell, but still bolded some parts that I thought were interesting.

A year of Megxit: Harry and Meghan are pedal to the metal on the road to riches

The Sussexes are too busy in the US to build bridges at home. There’s vegan lattes and a Spotify podcast to plug, says royal correspondent Roya Nikkhah

When a member of Hollywood royalty, Oprah Winfrey, took to Instagram to swoon over a “basket of deliciousness” from “my neighbour M ... yes that M” — adding a crown emoji in case any of her 19.2 million followers were in any doubt — those vegan coffee sachets, nestled in a festive hamper, were always going to fly off the shelves.

Within hours of Oprah’s post on Monday, the Duchess of Sussex announced she had personally invested in Clevr Blends, the “woman-led, mission driven” company behind the “wellness lattes” that is “dedicated to giving a tit”. Co-founded by Hannah Mendoza, from Buckinghamshire, the California-based company donates 1% of revenue to food poverty programmes.

The move marked a new direction as an investor for Meghan, who contacted Mendoza after trying one of her organic oat milk lattes. The duchess plans to “build a portfolio” of female-led start-up companies that are “in line with her values”. As she told the American business publication Fortune: “This investment is in support of a passionate female entrepreneur ... I’m proud to invest in Hannah’s commitment to sourcing ethical ingredients and creating a product that I personally love and has a holistic approach to wellness.”

So far, “sooooo Santa Barbara”, as one royal insider joked, referring to the couple’s adopted home town. But is this really what Meghan and Harry’s world-changing Great Move West was supposed to be about?

It’s just over a year since the Sussexes decamped to Canada for what was meant to be a six-week sabbatical for “much needed family time”. That was November. Rumours started in December. And on January 8, the couple dropped their bombshell: in a statement they set out their intention to “make a transition ... to carve out a progressive new role within this institution” and plans to “balance our time between the United Kingdom and north America”, becoming “financially independent while continuing to fully support Her Majesty the Queen”.

That is not how it panned out. The Queen made it clear at the “Sandringham summit” later that month that their “half-in, half-out” offer was unacceptable, and a hard Megxit was the only route if they wanted out.

The manner of last week’s coup induced a bout of queasiness in royal circles, where Oprah’s involvement was considered “tacky” and “clumsy”. Harry and Meghan had pledged their future activities would “uphold the values of Her Majesty”. An almighty plug from a talk-show host flagging her royal connections has stretched the elastic contours of the “Megxit” deal to snapping point.

One royal source compared the lapse of judgment in deploying Oprah to the recent gaffe by Peter Phillips, Princess Anne’s son, who was widely criticised for making the most of his royal connections in a Chinese milk advert. There is a fear the Sussexes may take to product placement much as their friend George Clooney has, becoming as synonymous with Nespresso coffee as his films.

Hot on the heels of Meghan’s lattes last week came the announcement that the Sussexes have followed in the footsteps of Michelle Obama and Kim Kardashian, signing a deal with Spotify — reportedly worth up to £30m — to make podcasts that “build community through shared experience, narratives and values” focusing on “finding kindness and compassion”. A teaser trailer had the couple plugging their product and laying it on thick, Meghan reminding listeners their insights will be “for free only on Spotify”, while Harry encouraged listeners to “tap ‘follow’ right now. Go ahead, go on. Tap follow and that way you won’t miss out and you’ll be able to hear new shows ... as soon as they drop.” The timing of the deal was perhaps not ideal: as Spotify handed the couple £30m, it was under pressure from a campaign urging it to raise the tiny percentage of its income that it pays musicians.

The royal biographer Penny Junor said the couple would “always be exploited for their names because ‘Harry and Meghan’ means ‘royal’, so they are inevitably trading on their royal connections. But they can never get away from that, so they’re damned if they do and damned if they don’t. The curious thing is they left the UK because they wanted more privacy and to escape the criticism. But in much of what they’ve done, they’ve put themselves squarely into the spotlight.”

With millions in the bank, the Sussexes may find the criticism easy to shrug off. After their divorce from “the Firm”, they have — on the surface at least — got much of what they wanted: an £11m home, multimillion-pound business deals and, unrestrained by royal protocol, the freedom to opine on Black Lives Matter and the American election, issues that would have been risky territory as working royals. Meghan’s ongoing privacy case against Associated Newspapers seems to be the only dark cloud on their otherwise clear horizon.

But however happy Harry appears, he is not at peace with the loss of his military roles. The Afghanistan veteran marked Remembrance Sunday at Los Angeles National Cemetery — photographer in tow — after his request to have a wreath laid at the Cenotaph was denied by Buckingham Palace. As Peter Hunt, a former BBC royal correspondent, said: “This is what happens when an institution fails to make peace with the son of a future king.”

Anyone who knows Harry knows he would forgo several noughts on any deal to don uniform and lay a wreath at the Cenotaph. But palace aides say the decision echoed the Queen’s view that “either you work for the royal family or you don’t. You don’t make the royal family work for you.” As painful a lesson as that was, Harry surely knows that much as he might want to negotiate a way back, his official military ties are off the table. Princess Anne is expected to replace him as captain general of the Royal Marines.

Soon after their move from Canada to California in March, there were early hints Harry was struggling to find his feet as just another mega-celeb in a town full of famous faces. In April, the conservationist Jane Goodall, a friend of the couple, revealed that Harry was “finding life a bit challenging”.

But the couple have set a well-oiled machine in motion in California, hiring a posse of American strategists, including Catherine St Laurent, chief of staff at Archewell, their new charitable foundation and vehicle for their relaunch. Their newly formed Archewell Audio production company will make their podcasts with Spotify.

St Laurent, who previously worked for Melinda Gates, husband of Bill, is part of a set of advisers working with the Sussexes on their deals and public image, including Nick Collins, Meghan’s agent from her acting days, Andrew Meyer, her business manager, Rick Genow, an entertainment lawyer, and Sunshine Sachs, a Hollywood PR firm. Tim Burt, a British former financial journalist who is managing director with the American PR giant Teneo, has been informally advising them on philanthropic roles and commercial deals.

“All no doubt experts at boosting their clients’ profiles and bank balances, but none will give two figs about the impact of decisions on the royal family and institution,” notes Junor.

The deal hammered out at the Sandringham summit allowed for a year-long review period from Harry and Meghan’s official royal departure date of March 31. Aides made it clear the “door was left open” to any change of heart. But with three months left on the trial calendar, the Sussexes seem unlikely to swap the manicured estates of Montecito for Frogmore Cottage, Windsor.

“If they are happy, then the gamble of leaving has paid off,” said a royal source who knows the couple and other members of the royal family. “Even if there has been a lot of collateral damage.”

Their move this summer from borrowed LA digs to a nine-bedroom, 16-bathroom palace of their own in Santa Barbara extracted them from the goldfish bowl of Beverly Hills and landed them in one of America’s most discreet and opulent suburbs. Their new neighbours include the actress Gwyneth Paltrow, the talk-show host Ellen DeGeneres and Oprah, with whom Harry is making an “enlightening and inclusive” documentary on mental health for Apple TV+. Harry is donating his undisclosed executive producer fee to charity, but royal watchers will wait to see if superlattes at £21 a pack feature in the ad breaks.

Sources close to the Sussexes say that “much of their work happened privately” this year, and while there has been some public volunteering, they remain mostly suspended in lockdown isolation, with regular visits from Meghan’s mother, Doria Ragland, who lives in Los Angeles. They occasionally venture to the beach in Malibu or downtown Montecito for dinner with Meghan’s old friend the actress Katharine McPhee, 36, and her music mogul husband, David Foster, 71. McPhee has described Harry’s relationship with Foster as “like father and son”.

Despite being locked down, they have managed to generate headlines, not all of them as positive as the response to Meghan’s announcement last month that she had suffered the “unbearable grief” of a miscarriage in July. “This year has brought so many of us to our breaking points,” she wrote in The New York Times. “Loss and pain have plagued every one of us in 2020, in moments both fraught and debilitating.”

But there have been other moments when the Sussexes’ willingness to speak their minds ended less well, notably when they waded into the US presidential election, Harry calling on voters to “reject hate speech, misinformation and online negativity” and Meghan describing it as “the most important election of our lifetime”. Their comments were widely interpreted as a swipe at Donald Trump, who shrugged it off with a joke at Harry’s expense: “I’m not a fan of hers and I would say this ... I wish a lot of luck to Harry, because he’s going to need it.” It was no joke in London, and Buckingham Palace distanced itself from Harry’s remarks. The episode showed Harry and Meghan were still “feeling their way through [their changed status]”, according to a royal aide. Some courtiers feared the royal family was being dragged into a political minefield; others called it a “violation” of the Megxit agreement.

Another obstacle to future harmony arrived with the publication of Finding Freedom, a biography of the couple told mostly from the Sussexes’s perspective. They denied any collaboration, but the book sent shudders along palace corridors. It laid bare a rift between Harry and his brother Prince William, portrayed Meghan as a victim of prejudice and sexism and described how she felt the Duchess of Cambridge had not sufficiently welcomed her.

Royal aides were described as “vipers” and there seemed to be no “closure” on a saga that was clearly still raw for the Sussexes. The book did nothing to help William and Harry’s already fractured relationship — a friend of the brothers says things are “still not great” between them.

The biggest splash was the signing of a lucrative production deal with Netflix to make “inspirational family programming” that “informs but also gives hope”. Neither party has publicly talked money, but the deal is reported to be worth about £75m. For that kind of money, Harry and Meghan might be expected to include royal revelations in the highbrow, uplifting content they have promised. A nature documentary and an animated series about inspiring women are in the pipeline, but to what extent they may be pressured to provide royal-themed programming remains the stuff of nightmares in London.

Eyebrows have been raised over the Netflix deal, given the furore over the latest season of The Crown, one of the streaming network’s most successful series, which depicts Prince Charles as an abusive husband to Harry’s mother, Diana, much to royal fury. The Crown may be trickier viewing for Harry and Meghan now they are committed to its makers, but they can be soothed by the knowledge that the Netflix and Spotify deals have secured the financial independence they craved. They have paid back the £2.4m of taxpayers’ money spent on refurbishing Frogmore Cottage and no longer rely on Charles for support.

So will there be anything left to review come March, beyond “dodgy” celebrity endorsements? As far as Buckingham Palace is concerned, probably not, and aides suggest there is unlikely to be a Sandringham summit sequel. The feeling at monarchy HQ is that the Sussexes are making their way in a brave new world and good luck to them, but fewer crown emojis would be appreciated. Megxit, an all-consuming drama at the start of the year, has been overtaken by “far bigger issues that put it into context”, say royal insiders.

“Harry and Meghan have more control over their lives, but they have taken some major hits to their reputation,” said the royal source who knows the couple. “There is a portrayal of Harry in some parts of the media as to some extent having abandoned Britishness for a more progressive Californian style. That probably quite accurately reflects what a lot of the British public are thinking.

“Harry was beloved and adored for being the happy, energetic, boisterous, down-to-earth prince. But that person isn’t as evident any more, he’s been partly replaced by a rather earnest character.” Harry certainly left many people scratching their heads when during a video broadcast this month he mused: “What if every single one of us was a raindrop, and if every single one of us cared?”

Come March, there may be adjustments to the terms of divorce, but no kiss-and-make-up. There will be no sighting of Archie here this year and no joyful reunion of Harry and his brother any time soon. While the Queen, 94, will spend Christmas at Windsor, Harry will be in his new home in California, his mother-in-law likely to be the only visiting guest.

“They are a big loss to the institution and the nation,” said a friend of the royals. “The biggest loss is on the family side of things; there’s a lot of repair to be done.”

Reactions: 14
Tier 4 bleeping lockdown 😭 I'm bloody pissed off

And the Harkles are still cunts 🤬

Article from The Times if anyone interested. It's long, so it's in a spoiler tag to spare those on mobile! There's nothing new here as far as I can tell, but still bolded some parts that I thought were interesting.

A year of Megxit: Harry and Meghan are pedal to the metal on the road to riches

The Sussexes are too busy in the US to build bridges at home. There’s vegan lattes and a Spotify podcast to plug, says royal correspondent Roya Nikkhah

When a member of Hollywood royalty, Oprah Winfrey, took to Instagram to swoon over a “basket of deliciousness” from “my neighbour M ... yes that M” — adding a crown emoji in case any of her 19.2 million followers were in any doubt — those vegan coffee sachets, nestled in a festive hamper, were always going to fly off the shelves.

Within hours of Oprah’s post on Monday, the Duchess of Sussex announced she had personally invested in Clevr Blends, the “woman-led, mission driven” company behind the “wellness lattes” that is “dedicated to giving a tit”. Co-founded by Hannah Mendoza, from Buckinghamshire, the California-based company donates 1% of revenue to food poverty programmes.

The move marked a new direction as an investor for Meghan, who contacted Mendoza after trying one of her organic oat milk lattes. The duchess plans to “build a portfolio” of female-led start-up companies that are “in line with her values”. As she told the American business publication Fortune: “This investment is in support of a passionate female entrepreneur ... I’m proud to invest in Hannah’s commitment to sourcing ethical ingredients and creating a product that I personally love and has a holistic approach to wellness.”

So far, “sooooo Santa Barbara”, as one royal insider joked, referring to the couple’s adopted home town. But is this really what Meghan and Harry’s world-changing Great Move West was supposed to be about?

It’s just over a year since the Sussexes decamped to Canada for what was meant to be a six-week sabbatical for “much needed family time”. That was November. Rumours started in December. And on January 8, the couple dropped their bombshell: in a statement they set out their intention to “make a transition ... to carve out a progressive new role within this institution” and plans to “balance our time between the United Kingdom and north America”, becoming “financially independent while continuing to fully support Her Majesty the Queen”.

That is not how it panned out. The Queen made it clear at the “Sandringham summit” later that month that their “half-in, half-out” offer was unacceptable, and a hard Megxit was the only route if they wanted out.

The manner of last week’s coup induced a bout of queasiness in royal circles, where Oprah’s involvement was considered “tacky” and “clumsy”. Harry and Meghan had pledged their future activities would “uphold the values of Her Majesty”. An almighty plug from a talk-show host flagging her royal connections has stretched the elastic contours of the “Megxit” deal to snapping point.

One royal source compared the lapse of judgment in deploying Oprah to the recent gaffe by Peter Phillips, Princess Anne’s son, who was widely criticised for making the most of his royal connections in a Chinese milk advert. There is a fear the Sussexes may take to product placement much as their friend George Clooney has, becoming as synonymous with Nespresso coffee as his films.

Hot on the heels of Meghan’s lattes last week came the announcement that the Sussexes have followed in the footsteps of Michelle Obama and Kim Kardashian, signing a deal with Spotify — reportedly worth up to £30m — to make podcasts that “build community through shared experience, narratives and values” focusing on “finding kindness and compassion”. A teaser trailer had the couple plugging their product and laying it on thick, Meghan reminding listeners their insights will be “for free only on Spotify”, while Harry encouraged listeners to “tap ‘follow’ right now. Go ahead, go on. Tap follow and that way you won’t miss out and you’ll be able to hear new shows ... as soon as they drop.” The timing of the deal was perhaps not ideal: as Spotify handed the couple £30m, it was under pressure from a campaign urging it to raise the tiny percentage of its income that it pays musicians.

The royal biographer Penny Junor said the couple would “always be exploited for their names because ‘Harry and Meghan’ means ‘royal’, so they are inevitably trading on their royal connections. But they can never get away from that, so they’re damned if they do and damned if they don’t. The curious thing is they left the UK because they wanted more privacy and to escape the criticism. But in much of what they’ve done, they’ve put themselves squarely into the spotlight.”

With millions in the bank, the Sussexes may find the criticism easy to shrug off. After their divorce from “the Firm”, they have — on the surface at least — got much of what they wanted: an £11m home, multimillion-pound business deals and, unrestrained by royal protocol, the freedom to opine on Black Lives Matter and the American election, issues that would have been risky territory as working royals. Meghan’s ongoing privacy case against Associated Newspapers seems to be the only dark cloud on their otherwise clear horizon.

But however happy Harry appears, he is not at peace with the loss of his military roles. The Afghanistan veteran marked Remembrance Sunday at Los Angeles National Cemetery — photographer in tow — after his request to have a wreath laid at the Cenotaph was denied by Buckingham Palace. As Peter Hunt, a former BBC royal correspondent, said: “This is what happens when an institution fails to make peace with the son of a future king.”

Anyone who knows Harry knows he would forgo several noughts on any deal to don uniform and lay a wreath at the Cenotaph. But palace aides say the decision echoed the Queen’s view that “either you work for the royal family or you don’t. You don’t make the royal family work for you.” As painful a lesson as that was, Harry surely knows that much as he might want to negotiate a way back, his official military ties are off the table. Princess Anne is expected to replace him as captain general of the Royal Marines.

Soon after their move from Canada to California in March, there were early hints Harry was struggling to find his feet as just another mega-celeb in a town full of famous faces. In April, the conservationist Jane Goodall, a friend of the couple, revealed that Harry was “finding life a bit challenging”.

But the couple have set a well-oiled machine in motion in California, hiring a posse of American strategists, including Catherine St Laurent, chief of staff at Archewell, their new charitable foundation and vehicle for their relaunch. Their newly formed Archewell Audio production company will make their podcasts with Spotify.

St Laurent, who previously worked for Melinda Gates, husband of Bill, is part of a set of advisers working with the Sussexes on their deals and public image, including Nick Collins, Meghan’s agent from her acting days, Andrew Meyer, her business manager, Rick Genow, an entertainment lawyer, and Sunshine Sachs, a Hollywood PR firm. Tim Burt, a British former financial journalist who is managing director with the American PR giant Teneo, has been informally advising them on philanthropic roles and commercial deals.

“All no doubt experts at boosting their clients’ profiles and bank balances, but none will give two figs about the impact of decisions on the royal family and institution,” notes Junor.

The deal hammered out at the Sandringham summit allowed for a year-long review period from Harry and Meghan’s official royal departure date of March 31. Aides made it clear the “door was left open” to any change of heart. But with three months left on the trial calendar, the Sussexes seem unlikely to swap the manicured estates of Montecito for Frogmore Cottage, Windsor.

“If they are happy, then the gamble of leaving has paid off,” said a royal source who knows the couple and other members of the royal family. “Even if there has been a lot of collateral damage.”

Their move this summer from borrowed LA digs to a nine-bedroom, 16-bathroom palace of their own in Santa Barbara extracted them from the goldfish bowl of Beverly Hills and landed them in one of America’s most discreet and opulent suburbs. Their new neighbours include the actress Gwyneth Paltrow, the talk-show host Ellen DeGeneres and Oprah, with whom Harry is making an “enlightening and inclusive” documentary on mental health for Apple TV+. Harry is donating his undisclosed executive producer fee to charity, but royal watchers will wait to see if superlattes at £21 a pack feature in the ad breaks.

Sources close to the Sussexes say that “much of their work happened privately” this year, and while there has been some public volunteering, they remain mostly suspended in lockdown isolation, with regular visits from Meghan’s mother, Doria Ragland, who lives in Los Angeles. They occasionally venture to the beach in Malibu or downtown Montecito for dinner with Meghan’s old friend the actress Katharine McPhee, 36, and her music mogul husband, David Foster, 71. McPhee has described Harry’s relationship with Foster as “like father and son”.

Despite being locked down, they have managed to generate headlines, not all of them as positive as the response to Meghan’s announcement last month that she had suffered the “unbearable grief” of a miscarriage in July. “This year has brought so many of us to our breaking points,” she wrote in The New York Times. “Loss and pain have plagued every one of us in 2020, in moments both fraught and debilitating.”

But there have been other moments when the Sussexes’ willingness to speak their minds ended less well, notably when they waded into the US presidential election, Harry calling on voters to “reject hate speech, misinformation and online negativity” and Meghan describing it as “the most important election of our lifetime”. Their comments were widely interpreted as a swipe at Donald Trump, who shrugged it off with a joke at Harry’s expense: “I’m not a fan of hers and I would say this ... I wish a lot of luck to Harry, because he’s going to need it.” It was no joke in London, and Buckingham Palace distanced itself from Harry’s remarks. The episode showed Harry and Meghan were still “feeling their way through [their changed status]”, according to a royal aide. Some courtiers feared the royal family was being dragged into a political minefield; others called it a “violation” of the Megxit agreement.

Another obstacle to future harmony arrived with the publication of Finding Freedom, a biography of the couple told mostly from the Sussexes’s perspective. They denied any collaboration, but the book sent shudders along palace corridors. It laid bare a rift between Harry and his brother Prince William, portrayed Meghan as a victim of prejudice and sexism and described how she felt the Duchess of Cambridge had not sufficiently welcomed her.

Royal aides were described as “vipers” and there seemed to be no “closure” on a saga that was clearly still raw for the Sussexes. The book did nothing to help William and Harry’s already fractured relationship — a friend of the brothers says things are “still not great” between them.

The biggest splash was the signing of a lucrative production deal with Netflix to make “inspirational family programming” that “informs but also gives hope”. Neither party has publicly talked money, but the deal is reported to be worth about £75m. For that kind of money, Harry and Meghan might be expected to include royal revelations in the highbrow, uplifting content they have promised. A nature documentary and an animated series about inspiring women are in the pipeline, but to what extent they may be pressured to provide royal-themed programming remains the stuff of nightmares in London.

Eyebrows have been raised over the Netflix deal, given the furore over the latest season of The Crown, one of the streaming network’s most successful series, which depicts Prince Charles as an abusive husband to Harry’s mother, Diana, much to royal fury. The Crown may be trickier viewing for Harry and Meghan now they are committed to its makers, but they can be soothed by the knowledge that the Netflix and Spotify deals have secured the financial independence they craved. They have paid back the £2.4m of taxpayers’ money spent on refurbishing Frogmore Cottage and no longer rely on Charles for support.

So will there be anything left to review come March, beyond “dodgy” celebrity endorsements? As far as Buckingham Palace is concerned, probably not, and aides suggest there is unlikely to be a Sandringham summit sequel. The feeling at monarchy HQ is that the Sussexes are making their way in a brave new world and good luck to them, but fewer crown emojis would be appreciated. Megxit, an all-consuming drama at the start of the year, has been overtaken by “far bigger issues that put it into context”, say royal insiders.

“Harry and Meghan have more control over their lives, but they have taken some major hits to their reputation,” said the royal source who knows the couple. “There is a portrayal of Harry in some parts of the media as to some extent having abandoned Britishness for a more progressive Californian style. That probably quite accurately reflects what a lot of the British public are thinking.

“Harry was beloved and adored for being the happy, energetic, boisterous, down-to-earth prince. But that person isn’t as evident any more, he’s been partly replaced by a rather earnest character.” Harry certainly left many people scratching their heads when during a video broadcast this month he mused: “What if every single one of us was a raindrop, and if every single one of us cared?”

Come March, there may be adjustments to the terms of divorce, but no kiss-and-make-up. There will be no sighting of Archie here this year and no joyful reunion of Harry and his brother any time soon. While the Queen, 94, will spend Christmas at Windsor, Harry will be in his new home in California, his mother-in-law likely to be the only visiting guest.

“They are a big loss to the institution and the nation,” said a friend of the royals. “The biggest loss is on the family side of things; there’s a lot of repair to be done.”
Good article but I take issue with this:

They are a big loss to the institution and the nation,” said a friend of the royals

I don't think those money grabbing selfish bastards are any loss at all.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
Easy enough for Hazza to quietly shuffle off to UK and turn up on the odd worthy podcast. The Netflix docco is tricky. If they are divorcing then they can't flog Netflix their happy first year in California, but there is the makings of a marriage breakdown doc which would 100% get eyeballs.
Sorry to drag up a comment from several pages ago (this thread moves fast!), but I sometimes wonder if our Smeggy is perhaps being set up by her pals at Netflix. It seems clear that most people in "the industry" have her clocked as the money-grabbing, attention vacuum parvenu she is - and while a few of them were willing to play nice for proximity to the royal family for a while, she's not only set fire to that bridge, she's dropped nuclear warhead on it from 2 miles up like the Enola Gay. I have a sneaking suspicion that Netflix might have very different ideas for any footage/interviews etc they get with the Harkles than they do themselves. Like, these two *think* they're making a puff piece about how they're so in love and rubbing it in the faces of dem posh twats across the pond, all the while Netflix is actually making a much more salacious hit piece about a dimwit princeling who got the wool pulled over his eyes by an exceptionally ambitious yacht girl??

...because I know which one of those two hypothetical documentaries I'd be keen on watching, and I'd wager I'm not alone. And further, I'd imagine Netflix is well aware of this. I mean, yeah the sugars would collectively sh*t the bed like Smeggy in a Buckingham palace rosebush, but who cares. The ratings they'd get would be astronomical. By then they'll probably have burned their way through Charlie's willingness to fund endless lawsuits, too, so unless there's some egregious contract breaching on the part of Netflix I'm not sure there's much they could do about it.

I will literally laugh my way into a hernia if this happens.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 46

Probably not, but thought I had better share.
It's a different child to the one we saw in May but who knows what cuntface and Gingahaznoballs have been plotting. Probably a fake but I wouldn't put it past them to use another child actor. We already know they've used a doll and and a generic photo as Archie. We really have no idea if we've EVER seen the real Archie.

Reactions: 13
Tier 4 bleeping lockdown 😭 I'm bloody pissed off

And the Harkles are still cunts 🤬

Good article but I take issue with this:

They are a big loss to the institution and the nation,” said a friend of the royals

I don't think those money grabbing selfish bastards are any loss at all.
Absolutely agree with you. That bit made me :rolleyes:
He can stay fucked off enjoying his roast chickenings, because they won't last. She'll do what pricey does ... switch off the sex tap once she's chewed the bloke up mentally. He'll still hang in hoping to recreate those halcyon days of giraffes and perfect yoga poses at sunset, and watching her shitting in the woods(kinky cunts). But once she loses interest he's fucked .... or rather no longer fucked, and the marriage will die a slow laborious death.I hope. Oh God I'm in such a bad mood, totally triggered ... 🤬

off topic, but duck it. Damn sis in law called today and the bleep insisted on hugging my bloke(her bro) ... proper sloppy-chops-hugging and clinging like a bloody baby orangutan but uglier ! When she approached me I held my hands up and backed off and the witch was raging 🤪. Be proud of me guys, because I refrained from saying "It's stupid cunts like you that have us going into another lockdown duck ORF!" Thank duck the kids were not around to be slobbered over. As soon as she was gone I ordered (yes, very sorry etc etc, but firmly ordered) the bloke to go take a shower and change into fresh clothes whille I sanitised everything she touched and threw his clothes in a wash. I'm not OCD normally but she's a gallivanter, always in everything running around like a blue arsed fly, stupid witch is likely a super spreader. grrrr:cautious:

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 31
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.