Grace Beverley #23 Greg Beggerley

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
No shade but I’m almost positive “tiyad” is patois as a Jamaican myself. I’ve never heard a Nigerian say that
It’s Nigerian pidgin and literally every Nigerian born person who speaks English will say it

Ik there is a lot of patois that has turned into general black British lingo, but specifically over the past few years there has been an influx of African specific phrases that have been adopted. Such as tiyad, embarrazzed even the “soft life” concept is Nigerian and most people inc grace use that very incorrectly

Reactions: 11
gota agree both sides my Nigerian friends use tiyad and also my
JA dad - either way it’s not graces but not surprised she continues to appropriate given her history of black fishing and ongoing use of BBE. very cringe for a upper class white girl 🤮funny that it’s always in written form tho, can’t imagine her saying these things out loud and would hope someone would tear her singlet if she did

Reactions: 18
Seems like every week now she’s doing some speaking event on something she knows nothing about. Today is ‘changing workplace cultures’ … when she’s previously published her employees personal lives to her 1million followers, shown that her staff are working when off sick and in hospital, micromanages so she has to ‘approve’ things for 2 hours every day, posts pictures of her giving the middle finger to her laptop and constantly complains how she’s sick of work, yet fills her day with hair appointments, shopping and other random vanity projects. Can only assume she’s discussing changing workplace cultures for the worse

Attachments

• Sick
Reactions: 30
Seems like every week now she’s doing some speaking event on something she knows nothing about. Today is ‘changing workplace cultures’ … when she’s previously published her employees personal lives to her 1million followers, shown that her staff are working when off sick and in hospital, micromanages so she has to ‘approve’ things for 2 hours every day, posts pictures of her giving the middle finger to her laptop and constantly complains how she’s sick of work, yet fills her day with hair appointments, shopping and other random vanity projects. Can only assume she’s discussing changing workplace cultures for the worse
she only gets invited to give the ‘gen z’ insight even though she’s more like a young millennial. To her credit, she has a good agent getting her all these gigs she’s in no way qualified for.

Reactions: 29
I can only imagine this talk as like something from W1A 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Can I ask something regarding the "tiyad" conversation out of real curiosity?

So, I am Spaniard but have been living in the UK for the past 10 years. If, for example, I were to meet a Nigerian person that moved to Spain and used a slang (non-offensive, ovbs... i don't think tiyad is but correct me if i'm wrong) Catalan word I'd be well happy and hype them up... same if the person was French, American, Chinese... I would think it's funny / cool that someone adopts a slang word in my own language and not only uses standard Spanish. Why is is different in this case? My boyfriend is Jamaican and when I have used the word "ting" for example on an odd occasion he's never told me it was cultural appropriation or that it was not correct to use it... why is it bad that she used "tiyad"? Is it because it is her, is it because it is offensive...?

Reactions: 3

So, I am Spaniard but have been living in the UK for the past 10 years. If, for example, I were to meet a Nigerian person that moved to Spain and used a slang (non-offensive, ovbs... i don't think tiyad is but correct me if i'm wrong) Catalan word I'd be well happy and hype them up... same if the person was French, American, Chinese... I would think it's funny / cool that someone adopts a slang word in my own language and not only uses standard Spanish. Why is is different in this case? My boyfriend is Jamaican and when I have used the word "ting" for example on an odd occasion he's never told me it was cultural appropriation or that it was not correct to use it... why is it bad that she used "tiyad"? Is it because it is her, is it because it is offensive...?
If someone is living in a country/culture or has connections to that culture (like you and your bf) then I think it can be fine depending on intent. Grace doesn’t meet either of those criteria so it’s cringe at best, offensive and appropriation at worst.

• Sick
Reactions: 25

Using immigrant slang and yet having no immigrant friends is a bit beggy essentially.
If I moved to Germany and used German slang while learning the language it would be different to me moving to Germany, having zero proximity to Turkish people and using Turkish slang as an opportunity to look cool and involved. Especially if I don’t move in those circles at all.

• Sick
Reactions: 23
for me it’s about this- white pepper have spent years telling me and people who look like me we don’t speak “properly”, that we talk lazy and speak “broken english”.
white people never have to think about code switching in a work or educational environment
Black british caribbean and african people are united by some of the words we share, white people have invaded and taken so much from us for 500 years, can we not just be left alone to be tiyad.
as others have said. what connection does grace have to the Black community? she has no Black friends no Black family yeah she’s had a Black boyfriend that one time but that didn’t mean you can step into a culture you know nothing about other than a few words you heard online.
it’s much more than just a lingo or words to us, and frankly how wildly grace has appropriated many other aspects of Black culture, she just isn’t welcome to join in with being tiyad imo
i think there is a whole other discussion here about Gen Z speak and appropriation from minority groups in general

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 29

Tiyad is literally just the word “tired” but with an Nigerian/Jamaican accent, so no nothing offensive at all. I think it’s more race oriented than nationality. Historically and even still, black people with accents have been ridiculed, mocked and even denied opportunities because their accent is seen as low class or uneducated. Same for African Americans phrases that are popular with gen z, people that actually speak like that are seen as dumb, but on a white girl it’s sassy and funny. So for that now to be trendy for people like grace to just say when they want to be quirky or cool is just odd.

I personally find it odd when people use phrases that aren’t in their culture in the way grace and a lot of others do. Having a partner or close friends from a culture is different as obviously you will pick up things. But I’ve never known grace to have any close black friends and she clearly has not grown up around black culture so it’s just weird

• Heart
Tiyad is literally just the word “tired” but with an Nigerian/Jamaican accent, so no nothing offensive at all. I think it’s more race oriented than nationality. Historically and even still, black people with accents have been ridiculed, mocked and even denied opportunities because their accent is seen as low class or uneducated. Same for African Americans phrases that are popular with gen z, people that actually speak like that are seen as dumb, but on a white girl it’s sassy and funny. So for that now to be trendy for people like grace to just say when they want to be quirky or cool is just odd.

I personally find it odd when people use phrases that aren’t in their culture in the way grace and a lot of others do. Having a partner or close friends from a culture is different as obviously you will pick up things. But I’ve never known grace to have any close black friends and she clearly has not grown up around black culture so it’s just weird
i also find it bizare that for someone that supposedly wrote their dissertation on cultural appropriation then she wouldn't have a little bit more self awareness when posting slang to an audience of +1m.... perhaps she does have friends from that culture in which case she may not be causing offense in a private context with those individuals, but regardless she shouldn't assume that it might not be offensive to the wider public given that we're not seeing her engage with any cultures beyond the classic west london white priveleged influencer circle...

• Sick
Is it ever???
She is so weird. She always has these little moments of calling herself out. It’s like she subconsciously knows she’s a fraud, and thinks well if I call myself out for this in a funny self deprecating way on social media, it will all be okay.

Reactions: 20
Obviously not wearing a seatbelt in a moving car today, nice. Also I'm pretty convinced Greg thinks uber is 'public transport'

Reactions: 19
Not her tits trying to escape the, in her words, most flattering bikini top in the world that gives you a lift.

IMG_0426.png

IMG_0427.png

She’s full of tit, isn’t she?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 41
I never thought her nose looked ugly or weird before but it’s started to look kind of strange recently. I wonder if she’s had a non surgical nose job? The tip of her nose is so much fuller and more upturned than it used to be. Maybe it’s just weird contouring idk

Reactions: 10
I never thought her nose looked ugly or weird before but it’s started to look kind of strange recently. I wonder if she’s had a non surgical nose job? The tip of her nose is so much fuller and more upturned than it used to be. Maybe it’s just weird contouring idk
Have you seen clips of her doing her makeup? The woman spends 25 minutes putting as much product as humanly possible on her nose alone it made me throw up in my mouth

• Wow
Reactions: 18
Blimey she looks rough. I don't follow her so only get updates when someone posts here, and it's always a bit of a shock.

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.