Grace Beverley #13 Double whammy nuanced Grace, freeloading through life with shiny face

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Honestly I don’t find it that unusual in the UK - I know so many people who still live at home with their parents into their mid-late twenties! I think it’s harsh when other people say they’re ‘taking advantage’ of their parents and ‘sponging’.

They’re just lucky to be in the position where their parents can help them financially by providing housing whilst they save. Its not the average twenty-somethings fault that rent can be extortionate and house prices are ridiculous. If parents can help them out (and I know not everyones can), then they will.

What I do take issue with is those who contribute to articles saying how ‘easy’ it is to own property etc. when they omit that they lived with their parents and were totally financed by them (no rent/bills payed to parents) for years. That’s just plain dishonesty (like Grace saying she was financially independent but lived under her parents roof).
Yeah I think it’s normal tbh, my bf’s brother is 27 now moved out for a while, did an apprenticeship but ended up moving back in with parents because decent job opportunities are pretty scarce where they live, he didn’t go uni when he was younger and has now only just started to get back into education. It’s tough and I think unless you’ve got a steady career going, theres no shame in moving back home (if your parents allow it). But yeah I don’t appreciate anyone who makes out like they bought a house off their own back when they were earning and lived rent and bill free with their parents for 5 years haha

• Heart
Reactions: 31
I've not been keeping up with Grace or her threads recently but is she really cheering on Montanna in a programme about what appears to be farming??????

I cannot stand this girl. If my entire brand was built around being vegan and my "best friend" was on a farm for clout, I would not be screaming at my TV

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Honestly I don’t find it that unusual in the UK - I know so many people who still live at home with their parents into their mid-late twenties! I think it’s harsh when other people say they’re ‘taking advantage’ of their parents and ‘sponging’.

They’re just lucky to be in the position where their parents can help them financially by providing housing whilst they save. Its not the average twenty-somethings fault that rent can be extortionate and house prices are ridiculous. If parents can help them out (and I know not everyones can), then they will.

What I do take issue with is those who contribute to articles saying how ‘easy’ it is to own property etc. when they omit that they lived with their parents and were totally financed by them (no rent/bills payed to parents) for years. That’s just plain dishonesty (like Grace saying she was financially independent but lived under her parents roof).
Yeah I agree with what you're saying. Though the point about living with parents might be more that in a lot of countries in Europe its still very normal to live with parents when you get married and have kids etc, to have multi generation households, living with grandparents etc. I don't think I could do it but it must be pretty good for childcare. In the UK childcare is so expensive and it's unusual to live with grandparents so a lot less possibility for people to afford to have a child

Reactions: 8
Yeah I agree with what you're saying. Though the point about living with parents might be more that in a lot of countries in Europe its still very normal to live with parents when you get married and have kids etc, to have multi generation households, living with grandparents etc. I don't think I could do it but it must be pretty good for childcare. In the UK childcare is so expensive and it's unusual to live with grandparents so a lot less possibility for people to afford to have a child
Yeah I don’t think I’d be able to actually live with partner, children and parents in one house like that, but there are major advantages (like Childcare).

I just think in the UK, and idk if its just a British attitude of being independent and self sufficient, that it’s very much looked down on to live with parents as an adult to save. I know the opportunity isn’t there for everyone, but they shouldn’t be called ‘spongers’ for being able to live rent-reduced/free to be able to save to afford property in this current housing climate.

Reactions: 19
It isn't unusual for people in their twenties to live with their parents, or bad (thinking that is often culturally ignorant). I think sometimes people get annoyed with people that can be supported by their parents speaking on becoming financially independent, because that perspective dominates this conversation already. Plus, not everyone's parents' home is a safe or happy place for them. Because of this, IMO, the assumption that it's fine to live with your parents leans a bit too much into criticising people for wanting more than to just get by - people aren't asking too much for wanting their own space and to do what they want under their own roof, and they're not being entitled in wanting to be able to afford a house without living at home for years. It's a problem with the housing market & economy, not with greed or entitlement [plays a bit into the idea of the spoilt millenial], and the resolution shouldn't be to ask people to "save" or be savvier, or sacrifice things past generations didn't have to sacrifice.

I think this whole thing about 'saving' and 'tricks to success' at a young age just distracts from the real issue, which is that a) most young people's salaries can't match the average asking price for a house and b) something is wrong if some young people have to live with their parents into their thirties whilst other 25-35 year olds can purchase homes worth 1+ million pounds and immediately launch into renovations. It just adds insult to injury that 'saving' & 'tricks to success' articles are usually written by or about the second group in category b).

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 40
Yeah I don’t think I’d be able to actually live with partner, children and parents in one house like that, but there are major advantages (like Childcare).

I just think in the UK, and idk if its just a British attitude of being independent and self sufficient, that it’s very much looked down on to live with parents as an adult to save. I know the opportunity isn’t there for everyone, but they shouldn’t be called ‘spongers’ for being able to live rent-reduced/free to be able to save to afford property in this current housing climate.
I'm 24 and live in London with my parents (admittedly I'm still here because of COVID and aimed to move last year) but because when I left uni at 22 unemployed with zero money there was literally no other option, most of the people my age who I know who live in London still live at home and contribute to bills/expenses while they're saving to move out (not even to buy, just to be able to rent and have financial stability) it's not uncommon at all and definitely isn't sponging off your parents if you're employed and earning your own money, contributing a bit here and there and saving the rest if your parents don't mind then what's the issue? Saying it's taking advantage of your parents is a bit far because obviously if people in their 20s live at home their parents are ok with it?
Obviously saying you could afford to BUY property because you lived rent free with your parents for years is problematic, but actually living with parents/not paying a huge amount of rent but contributing what you can is not sponging or taking advantage of your parents imo with the cost of renting in southern england/buying anywhere else currently

Last edited:
Reactions: 26
Those stories are massively annoying as they pass the blame on people that they can't afford a house. They try to make out like there isn't hugely dysfunctional housing market even though you need to be exceptional or have lots of help to have something very modest. Society these days pretty much calls people a failure if they don't own a property.

Reactions: 40
I'm 24 and live in London with my parents (admittedly I'm still here because of COVID and aimed to move last year) but because when I left uni at 22 unemployed with zero money there was literally no other option, most of the people my age who I know who live in London still live at home and contribute to bills/expenses while they're saving to move out (not even to buy, just to be able to rent and have financial stability) it's not uncommon at all and definitely isn't sponging off your parents if you're employed and earning your own money, contributing a bit here and there and saving the rest if your parents don't mind then what's the issue? Saying it's taking advantage of your parents is a bit far because obviously if people in their 20s live at home their parents are ok with it?
Obviously saying you could afford to BUY property because you lived rent free with your parents for years is problematic, but actually living with parents/not paying a huge amount of rent but contributing what you can is not sponging or taking advantage of your parents imo with the cost of renting in southern england/buying anywhere else currently
I agree its not sponging, I mean there are people who are pushing it but not everyone. All the points you've all made about the economic climate being the way it is are so right - staying with parents it's the best way to save at the moment and be able to buy, and that's what's wrong with the world we live in. It is annoying though when how to save tips come from those people. And tbh I'm just a bit bitter that it wasn't really an option for me and its hard to see friends younger than me be able to afford a house, nice furniture, a wedding etc when I spent over 30k on rent in the past five years. Yeah it's not like they lived at their parents for free but most people I know only contribute like 100-200 quid a month which is nothing comparing to what I pay to rent

Reactions: 15
Bit off topic but I came across Courtney Boateng recently, and I feel like she is everything that Grace claims/wants to be. She's a 23 year old entrepreneur, went to Cambridge and was hustling and making money during her studies. She has been working since she was a young teenager (actually working, not babysitting for her next door neighbour) and truly did start her own business with no external investment. And she took risks - genuine risks - because she didn't have the safety net of the cushty socioeconomic background. Really recommend checking her out; I was smiling to myself watching this video because there were so many parallels between her story and the stories Grace tells, but hers is far more authentic and impressive.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 54
Yeah I don’t think it’s abnormal to live with parents but I don’t know anyone who did so rent free haha. I was paying keep since 16- but also wouldn’t ever dream of saying I was financially independent. Youre not paying full life expenses if you live with your parents- ever. Full stop. It’s not the same. Buying your own protein and tube travel doesn’t count grace.

the beef people have is that media is flooded with articles like this one I saw today- to shame people who haven’t made it. This woman paid off an 800k mortgage before 40 without ever earning morning than 25k 😱😱😱

...oh turns out her dad helped her buy 2 properties first 20 years ago when they let you pay 5% deposits and she’s been earning rental income from them. Living rent free with her parents. Got a divorce settlement and then moved in with a fella who had already paid 600k off his 800k mortgage...
WE CAN ALL DO IT HUNNIES

Attachments

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 45
As they say, comparison is the thief of joy! I had a ‘friend’ who boasted about buying a place at 27 whilst she was holidaying extravagantly all over the world. Turns out her deposit was half inheritance and half a £10k+ loan from her Dad. I’ve stopped comparing my journey with everyone else’s - its irritating as hell, but I’ve accepted the reality that I won’t own anywhere until I have a partner and we’re both earning very good wages!

ETA: This doesn’t take away my annoyance with people like Grace who claim they were always financially independent and just ‘savvy’ when we all know thats clearly not the full story...

• Heart
Reactions: 28
The stories I find the most annoying is someone going "I bought a house at 26 in 2 years on 28k!"

When all they did is save a deposit by not having any housing or utility costs for 2 years. Revolutionary🙄.

In Jessica Simpson's book she spoke about being offered a deal like graces for stupid amounts of money to write a business book about having it all, and you can have it all too! But she turned it down because she knew it was a lie. Grace on the other hand could never say no to cash.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
Those stories are massively annoying as they pass the blame on people that they can't afford a house. They try to make out like there isn't hugely dysfunctional housing market even though you need to be exceptional or have lots of help to have something very modest. Society these days pretty much calls people a failure if they don't own a property.
That or you have to be in a partnership in order to buy. Grace's success story of buying a house in her early twenties is not the norm and I feel bad for people my age who are stuck at their parents house (gotta love low pay) who just look at people like her and wonder why they're not getting the same.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I agree with everyone that it isn't that strange to live with your parents in your 20's, I also had to move back in with my parents briefly before moving out again in my 20's (whilst paying my share of the rent). Don't get me wrong, I don't think it is inherently wrong or exploitative to live with your parents at any age as you never know what someone is going through, whether they need to move in to help a parent/parents or because they themselves have no other better choice at the time.

It's just the way that article came across to me in particular; staying with his parents so that he can continue living for free whilst working on his own personal financial goal with apparently no intention of helping his parents by paying some rent or utility bills. That is what rubbed me the wrong way - and with the usual undertone of "look how easy it is to save money, just stay with your parents (read: someone else pays for your rent and utilities and most likely food) and have no personal expenses or debt and you are good to go!" I find it condescending to the majority of us living in the real world, to put it that way. I didn't mean to cause any offence to anyone as I completely understand this situation, I just can't stand these types of articles in general.

Reactions: 20
So tala are now bringing out pijamas and scrunchies? They’re really throwing all the tit out that they can find

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 38
I think it's fine to live at home as long as the person and their parents are happy, but everyone who does, should be grateful. Often, people who live at home say they were unemployed or didn't have a lot of money so had to, but even that is a privilege- my family was so poor and lived in the middle of nowhere. When I left for uni, there was literally no room for me to come back. We'd been cramped 2 kids to a room, all big, tall people, so there wasn't even a bed for me. I slept on the sofa in the uni holidays, and I even paid rent because I had a holiday job. But that's not sustainable for someone in their 20s with a full-time job. But also, some people will say they live at home so they can save for a deposit and not "waste" money on rent, and that is also a privilege. Fine if your parents are ok with it, but it's a privilege nonetheless. My mum couldn't support the kids who were still kids, let alone an adult as well. Some people, like me, didn't have any option but to go live in a share house, paying through the roof for rent, and living on beans and rice and never doing anything, because you had to just work and live and get on. Living at home is not just for poor people and it's not just for rich people so it should not be seen as a marker of success or not.

Did anyone ever see that show "how to live mortgage free"? They fell into three camps. 1. people who had bought in the 80s, had house prices rocket, made a killing, sold their house and bought something for the money they made. 2. people who lived at home for 5 years never paying a penny. 3. people who got an inheritance/payout/divorce settlement.

Reactions: 18
Was pretty surprised for all their marketing about ethics and inclusivity that they started working with Klarna last year, a company whose profitability is positively correlated with the number of people using their service that go into debt.

There's been a lot in the news about services like Klarna operating without regulation, and the UK government plans to change that - but until this happens, why is TALA still encouraging people to use it? Why on earth does a supposedly ethical brand want to encourage young women to potentially fall into debt?

Reactions: 27
Where I am from, staying with your parents is quite normal (as they (or their parents) often build their house so it can acommodate 2-3 generations, usually in separate floors) but I still have no proper savings. If you're bad with money, nothing helps :D

Just for intermezzo as I find it interesting how unusual it is in other parts of EU/world for someone to live with their family.
same with collectivist countries, it’s totally expected to stay at home until marriage. It’s really a western thing, may Even be able to limit to the U.K. & US

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.