Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

weeweegie

VIP Member
Thankfully there is more diversity in kids books these days although main characters are still far more likely to be white boys. It is slowly changing though. I try and choose books for my son with girls as the main character if I’m buying a book but he gravitates towards stories with boys like him (Tom Gates is an example, written by a woman Liz Pichon).

Reactions: 6

betchyhin

I think Brianna was bullied a lot for being weird (anime clothes, Hello Kitty print flippy miniskirts, teddies etc). That of course is reprehensible in itself, but well done the police for distancing her dress from her gender identity. Those dickhead bullies didn’t kill her because ‘she’ was a man wanting to present as a woman which would be a trans hate crime, they did so because of her unusual dress and other attributes. Not liking that she wore pink fetish stuff doesn’t mean not liking that she was a trans woman (for the sake of argument)
Bullies don't normally kill though. Must be something more serious. But we can't delve into it too much because of the law advocating for a fair trial.

Reactions: 5

Sea

VIP Member
Its been discussed on many gossip forums over the years, but delete if it makes you feel safer

SkippyDoo

Chatty Member
Hate crime in the Brianna Ghey case has not been ruled out and I wouldn’t expect it to be so early in the investigation. What the police have said is that they don’t have evidence for that at the moment.

SnoopySnooper86

Chatty Member
I do! I don't really want to derail the conversation with Reddit nonsense. I'd send you a private message but it doesn't seem to be an option on my account. Has the feature been removed? I looked at account settings but couldn't find it there either.
I have no idea! I’ve never tried to send a PM on here! I’m sure it was ridiculous of them & it sounds like it wasn’t a great place to be, but their loss is our gain :)

• Heart

Ensay

VIP Member
Leaving aside her history of abuse, do you not consider someone being persistently doxxed, stalked and threatened with rape and murder by literally thousands of people globally to be a victim?

Interesting perspective. Thanks for letting us know where you stand.
Nope. She chooses to put her thoughts out on Twitter, knowing the blowback she's going to get.

I should add that I don't think it's right people send abuse to anyone, but pretty much every single celebrity on Twitter who gives an opinion about anything will get that kind of treatment. It's not right, but she's not unique in that regard and I don't see people decrying the abuse other celebrities receive and making them out to be victims on the same scale.

I mean, Tattle exists because of famous people/influencers who take to social media but also complain that they don't always get 100% positive feedback when they do. I'm not saying anything that isn't said all over this site every day.

Maybe I sound harsh but I can't get upset over rich celebrities getting trolled on Twitter. Especially when she can make it so only those she follows can reply to her tweets and can switch off DMs to those she doesn't follow, etc.

• Wow

emmer_moans

VIP Member
I have 2 16yr old girls. One has been sucked into this nonsense faster than the speed of light. The other is an almighty feminist who sees the dangers this nonsense is/has created and makes some amazing arguments. It isn't the entire age group doing this. It's the ones that are easily lead that are being taken advantage of by these wannabe cult leaders. They are the ones to blame, these poor kids are just being taken along for the ride and being used as collateral damage.
Wow, do your girls get on or do they fall out over it? I can imagine it could cause a lot of friction.

Ensay

VIP Member
Oh dear, it would appear someone received a letter from JKR's lawyers. Enjoy the humble pie, JJ.

View attachment 1957687
View attachment 1957688
I find this kind of stuff a bit sinister because you know he doesn't believe one word of that, JK might as well stick her hand up his backside and make his mouth move. 😂

Why not just report him to Twitter and get his tweets removed like everyone else? I dunno, a billionaire sending threatening legal letters because she got annoyed by a few daft tweets looks a bit petty.

• Haha

Piff paff puff

VIP Member
This is what worried me about his account. There is absolutely nothing to say that after this pervert’s mansplaining, the girl understood what he actually meant. She could have been EAL, learning disabled, felt she could no longer say no. It’s so fucking depressing.
---

Lovely to see so much of the word woman but can we trust the UN definition. They’re definitely captured by the cult 😔 it’s because my kids school is a UN rights respecting school that they’re being taught about gender identity 😤
Yes, that's exactly my thoughts when I read that, their definition of women. No doubt some of these fascist companies are ambiguous in their language so as not to draw attention to their political and social affiliations. Note to self buy drawing pins next time 😬

skronkywildcat

VIP Member
Yes there absolutely is and that Keffals who shut down the place where New Zealand fruit is grown was a groomer/enabler of gamer/anime MtFs. google Catboy ranch :sick:. (and he was sending out illegal hormones).

• Wow

Tea_and_Biscuits

God, I hated the Marvellous Mrs Maisel. She was so unfunny as a stand-up.
Me too. I liked some of the supporting characters but I found Mrs Maisel really annoying - she's supposedly 'struggling' but she sends to solve her child care/financial problems pretty easily and she just came across as very spoilt to me.
Sorry.. bit off topic!

HockyRorror

VIP Member
I would hope that's a joke!

Since when was a frying pan transphobic?!
---
Regarding children's books, I worry that today all that will get published is stories that push the T as special and brave and stunning and all girls as Karens and all white boys to be oppressors and problematic etc. We need representation of all people, but in equal measure, and in ways that are subtle, rather than a story being purely about a protected characteristic. The stories should be about adventure, discoveries, mysteries etc, where the character's behaviour is more important than their labels.
Im not in the field, but I’ve read that in particular the Young Adult category has really been captured by this. I remember reading a bizarre article about someone being cancelled for something and it was really intense, and (I can’t remember if this was the same person or I’m combining two things I’ve read) but faked their own death and then “came back to life” years later. I’m going to try and find it again

EDIT: This isn’t the article I read as the one I read was more detailed but pretty sure this is the same scenario I described:

Also, this is the story of the “pretend suicide” author: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/susan-meachen-author-fake-death-b2265223.html?amp

• Wow

Scotch Mist

VIP Member
Interesting. When Caitlin did I’m a Celeb she often talked about things that happened when she ’used to be Bruce’. Likewise I know someone with a transgender child who when talking about the child’s says ‘when she used to be so and so‘. Must be hard for the families and friends not to slip up sometimes.
Totally, one of my childhood friends changed her name when she was an adult because she'd never liked her name. It took me a few years to get used to her new name without tripping up.

veevee04

VIP Member
I suspect he was a kid who was puberty blocked and then put on HRT so hadn't had a male puberty. I think Jazz Jennings passes a similar amount and he has that medical history.
I've just seen her tiktoks she looks like a female no hint of male features, definitely puberty blocked and HRT..

Ensay

VIP Member
I suppose it's similar to the Nicola Bulley case. People are asking why she has got so much coverage when so many go missing every day and are never mentioned.

I thought when the case was first reported, Brianna's age was 15 and so was the age of the accused. So whether that caused the initial interest. I don't recall her being trans even being mentioned on the day it happened. I didn't know she was trans till the day after the story broke.

Autumncolors

So, still about the French version on HL.

As I have already written, the trans character has a female’s voice in French but she still says something about her old classmates not recognizing her because they knew her as a wizard and not a witch. This part of the convo sounds very weird and does not make sense.
🤪

• Wow

Platformcrocs

VIP Member
If I was Kate Forbes I'd remind them that religion is a protected characteristic of the Equality Act 2010.
I see John Swinney has come out to say it isn't about her religion, but SNP members are entitled to decide if those views are appropriate for someone running for leader and first minister. Thought police.

She absolutely is entitled to have those views. What matters is that changes to the law are handled in a democratic manner and the result is respected and upheld. Pretty simple?! People seem to keep assuming that Kate doesn't see same sex couples as equal when she simply did not say that.

Perhaps John Swinney should have run for leadership himself... Except he knows his time is running out.