Formula 1 Wags #197 Slag Paulo at Sunset

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A reporter told him yesterday that despite his performances having been standout these past couple of months, he feels a bit flat (to the other reporters) and that he's being too self-deprecating and they wanna see "the light, the happy, bubbly Lando back" and the way I almost just retired to bed to sob my heart out.
This is gonna sound harsh (even though I’m not aiming it at Lando) so Lando fans, look away now 🤣🤣 but idk why he gets babied so much. A lot of drivers have fluctuating emotions, they just don’t show it so openly. No issue with him doing that but actual pundits acting like he’s a 16 year old kid makes me actually quite uncomfortable and I’m sure he doesn’t welcome it either. Just because he shows what he’s feeling more doesn’t mean he’s feeling things anymore acutely than others and it kind of undermines him and his fortitude to act like that. I don’t think he’s anymore harsh on himself than anyone else, other drivers just don’t express it to media, or they take the Stroll attitude of acting like they don’t care

Reactions: 13
A reporter told him yesterday that despite his performances having been standout these past couple of months, he feels a bit flat (to the other reporters) and that he's being too self-deprecating and they wanna see "the light, the happy, bubbly Lando back" and the way I almost just retired to bed to sob my heart out.
sadly, I thinking hes going to be like that until he gets that 1st win. He has accomplished everything else he can as of right now but I do think once he gets that 1st a huge weight will be lifted off of his shoulders.

Its not like the media are helping matters either, every podium he gets they have to mention hes now top/joint top for most points/podiums without a win. Its sad but it does seem to be getting to him a little at times 😕

Reactions: 5
This whole thing is just so tricky. Lando is great, he was on the podium 13 times already, but he still didn't win. And sadly noone is going to ask the reason in the future. He's already tied with Nick Heidfeld on the top in this statistics and who still cares (or even knows) about poor Nick.
So I hope he'll win soon as I wouldn't want him to be forgotten (or worse, ridiculed).
---
Uhm, Andrea? 🤨 😂
1699215026007.png

Reactions: 6
At the end of the day Lando not winning yet has little to do with Lando. This sport has always been dominated by car performance and now reliability is better it’s even worse. The only time he’s ever had a legitimate shot at a win and lost was Sochi, and every driver has a race like that at some point in their life, it’s just unfortunate for him he’s never gotten the chance to rectify it. But he will

Reactions: 7
This is gonna sound harsh (even though I’m not aiming it at Lando) so Lando fans, look away now 🤣🤣 but idk why he gets babied so much. A lot of drivers have fluctuating emotions, they just don’t show it so openly. No issue with him doing that but actual pundits acting like he’s a 16 year old kid makes me actually quite uncomfortable and I’m sure he doesn’t welcome it either. Just because he shows what he’s feeling more doesn’t mean he’s feeling things anymore acutely than others and it kind of undermines him and his fortitude to act like that. I don’t think he’s anymore harsh on himself than anyone else, other drivers just don’t express it to media, or they take the Stroll attitude of acting like they don’t care
I don't think it's necessarily true that he's no harder on himself than anyone else, he and Charles are very much drivers who are harder on themselves than a lot of others but I think they also use to it motivate themselves in many ways as well. Lando used to struggled with that but he's turned it around admirably since 2020. Plus there's a lot more scope for growth if you fully own your mistakes. Contrast to certain other drivers who always have to look to deflect blame to anything but themselves and then you see them making the same mistakes over again.

That said, I agree with you that people talk about him as if he is some kind of wilting flower who crumbles under pressure and also project "sadness" onto him at times, probably in part because he did genuinely struggle quite badly with his mental health in his first 18 months/2 years in the sport and he's talked about how he still has to manage it now. In his current form he is arguable 2nd/3rd best driver on the grid right now, he's putting in mega drives, some of the best of his career, and is absolutely showing his class. I have little doubt he is frustrated that Max is just an immovable object right now, it's been clear at times that he is, but people acting like Lando's some kind of crumbling sad panda is doing my head in a bit. It's actually a bit disrespectful to his mental fortitude. I realise this is an unpopular opinion coming from a big fan of his and many won't agree but it feels like a lot of people are projecting their own feelings about his stats onto him.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
Enjoy the race bbies ❤

I'm on my usual back to work city travel so will watch tonight

Was my ass on fire during whole bus ride trying not to look on the screen of some guy close to me who was watching the race?

Did my only two braincells automatically went on instagram while making dinner and the first post was Lando?

OMG CHARLIEEEEEEE WHAT IS THIS

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I don't think it's necessarily true that he's no harder on himself than anyone else, he and Charles are very much drivers who are harder on themselves than a lot of others but I think they also use to it motivate themselves in many ways as well. Plus there's a lot more scope for growth if you own your mistakes. Contrast to certain other drivers who always have to look to deflect blame to anything but themselves and then you see them making the same mistakes over again.

That said, I agree with you that people talk about him as if he is some kind of wilting flower who crumbles under pressure and also project a lot of stuff onto him, probably in part because he did genuinely struggle quite badly with his mental health in his first 18 months/2 years in the sport and he's talked about how he still has to manage it now. In his current form he is arguable 2nd/3rd best driver on the grid right now, he's putting in mega drives, some of the best of his career, and is absolutely showing his class. I have little doubt he is frustrated that Max is just an immovable object right now but people acting like Lando's some kind of crumbling sad panda is doing m head in a bit. It's actually a bit disrespectful to his mental fortitude.
I think it’s hard to quantify because some people are naturally more cagey than others. Or they just have different ways of expressing it. Some openly blame themselves but even the ones that deflect, a lot of the time that’s just a tactic they use in public and deep down they’re blaming themselves. It’s impossible to know when we don’t know these people personally.

Exactly, the only time I’ve noticed him be what I would describe as “too down” for the situation was Qatar, and that was because that was basically the only time he underperformed the car. Mexico qualifying maybe too. Whoever finishes second behind Max at this stage of the season is accepting of the situation from what I’ve seen

Reactions: 3
Yup saw that and cried😂😂👌
---
I would take that as a podium 😳😂🧡

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Someone pointed out that Lando has ended up just 63 points behind Perez, really does demonstrate how much of a shocker a lot of this season has been for Checo 😬

Reactions: 11
Ferrari going for the full McHonda experience. Sadly for them, Alonso & Button's 105 grid place penalties in Spa is a record that is out of even the Scuderia's reach ;)

Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 20.47.32.png

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.