Formula 1 Wags #109

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You’ve opened a legal can of worms now and I’m ready to bore you all to tears with the answer hahaha

If any person or team with sufficient influence was to outright name him it would open them up to defamation claims from Nelson.

By definition, defamation is making a statement that has caused or is likely to cause harm to someone’s reputation.

You may be saying ‘well he’s done that himself by making that statement’ and whilst that’s true, the exposure the drivers and the teams have means any statement they could make naming him would increase the number of people who know about the issue and would cause more harm to his reputation than already existed before they posted.

Under UK law Nelson would have to prove four points (1) a defamatory statement was made, (2) the statement was published by the defendant (in this case it could be a team or person) (3) the statement refers to Nelson and (4) the defamatory statement is likely to cause serious harm to his reputation.

There are defences which the defendant would have the burden to prove (truth, honest opinion, privilege, public interest etc.) but these would be hotly contested by both sides and a legal case would drag on for a year at the very least unless they decided to pursue alternative dispute resolution or settle the matter before trial. Any settlement would likely involve compensatory payments and public apologies/retractions.
It happened to one of my friend/colleague at work a guy used the N word to great someone that was coming back from holiday ( to tell him it was tan)
My friend decided to report it to HR as she had witnesses as he said it in front of everybody … long story short after months of investigations and auditions and intimidation for it to not be legal she ended up being the one being asked to go to anger management cause according to them she should have handled the situation better … 🤪

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 21
It happened to one of my friend/colleague at work a guy used the N word to great someone that was coming back from holiday ( to tell him it was tan)
My friend decided to report it to HR as she had witnesses as he said it in front of everybody … long story short after months of investigations and auditions and intimidation for it to not be legal she ended up being the one being asked to go to anger management cause according to them she should have handle the situation better … 🤪

Reactions: 2
Red bull won’t address nelson, he has nothing to do with the team but a guest bit that statement was very much, aimed towards him also “ the team don’t condom any form raciest behaviour” any form like naming your playlists 👀

Reactions: 12
Red bull won’t address nelson, he has nothing to do with the team but a guest bit that statement was very much, aimed towards him also
I'm 50-50. That last sentence does sound a bit like that but overall it just seems like adding fuel to the fire. I know they won't address him by name, again - no one will, but the other statements have a strong implication who they're referring to. This is even more vague, it leaves too much room for speculation.

Reactions: 7
Red bull won’t address nelson, he has nothing to do with the team but a guest bit that statement was very much, aimed towards him also “ the team don’t condom any form raciest behaviour” any form like naming your playlists 👀
I presume we weren't going to see Kelly this weekend anyway but I wonder when she'll be back in the paddock

Reactions: 4
If RB aren’t addressing this situation in its own dedicated statement do you think they’ve asked Alpha Tauri and both team’s drivers to keep quiet on the situation too?

• Sad
Reactions: 13
I like what red bull did - words + action

Way better than I expected from them tbh (general statement) 😅

Reactions: 6
If RB aren’t addressing this situation in its own dedicated statement do you think they’ve asked Alpha Tauri and both team’s drivers to keep quiet on the situation too?
Alpha Tauri probably asked their drivers themselves. I think every team asked their drivers to stay put until further notice to avoid any legal action. Alpha Tauri themselves probably can only do what RBR does, the joy of being a B team

I like what red bull did - words + action

Way better than I expected from them tbh (general statement) 😅
Regarding just the Juri incident it's great. But it does scream double standards when they say 'we condemn any form of racism' but tell a journalist they won't address the Piquet thing. That's not condemning any form of racism. But I guess any isn't all, is it?
1656434047003.png

• Heart
Reactions: 15
RB statement is such a PR price of crap IMO. It’s far too convenient today of all days they choose to state that about Juri. I bet some frantic scrambling to try to make themselves look good was done. But they can’t even make comment on the official FIA statement or merc statement. Getting rid of Juri was a no brainer- it’s no show of support to Lewis. It’s like last year when after the comments made by Marko, Horner (and Max and Kelly) fuelled the fire of a racist pile on on Lewis on SM they came out with their we condemn racism statement. Spare me please.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.