Formula 1 Wags #109

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Was just looking at Lewis’s highlight of some of the fantastic T-shirts he’s worn and makes me sad that is still going on 2 years later. He deserves a lot more respect!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Was just looking at Lewis’s highlight of some of the fantastic T-shirts he’s worn and makes me sad that is still going on 2 years later. He deserves a lot more respect!
Every single POC does. This isn't even just about Lewis, this is an influential man using racial slurs like everyday language. It's disgusting.

And re drivers just saying duck it and name him and call him out, they can't either. They can be sued as well, even Lewis himself couldn't call him out by his name.

Reactions: 12
Every single POC does. This isn't even just about Lewis, this is an influential man using racial slurs like everyday language. It's disgusting.

And re drivers just saying duck it and name him and call him out, they can't either. They can be sued as well, even Lewis himself couldn't call him out by his name.
Absolutely there is no place for it for any POC! I thought Lewis was very clever not naming in his statement but then replying to that tweet 👏

Reactions: 11
Just catching up now and wow, to say I'm disappointed (but not surprised) doesn't even begin to cut it. Firstly I feel terrible for Lewis, not only having to go through racist abuse but also having to do so publicly and constantly having to speak out for yourself and having people dissect what you say or further tear you down must be exhausting.

And secondly, re: Kelly, I was ready to give her the benefit of doubt at first. We all have known family to say terrible things but that doesn't mean we agree with it ourselves. My own family is POC and still says dumb stuff about others at times. But it's clear from her liking and playlists and everything else that she isn't fully opposing of her father's views. Annoys me to no end that younger people still uphold these views. No one has an excuse to be a terrible person really, but with the internet and globalization it boggles my mind that people can still be so narrow minded and prejudicial about others.

Also is there a reason why they are unable to directly name Piquet in their statements?

Reactions: 13
And somehow cinnamon is now making this about Luisa and she’s a racist? 🙄🤯
I know I shouldn’t give this crazy any of my energy but seriously wtf?

• Wow
  • Angry
  • Sick
Reactions: 12
Everything has been said and I’ve nothing else to add except for I cringe at the thought of what Lewis was called last year in private. My thoughts are with Lewis and other people of colour or people from different ethenic backgrounds who have to deal obvious racism and micro aggression in their daily life’s, I can’t imagine how exhausting it it

Just to say also I’ll be very very disappointed if Daniel and other drivers don’t at-least retweet statements against this. I know Lando has already. I’m kind of disappointed how long it took McLaren to make a statement, everything is so PR these days when somethings shouldn’t need big discussions to realise a short statement against racism
I agree ! It has often been talked in here but being liberal doesn’t always mean that you will stand up for racism nor being one !
As a POC I know many liberal people and still be micro aggressed by them
Being liberal is not a token

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
what is fucked up is that in such business environment, PR and legal stuff can be used as an instrument (or excuse often ) to not speak out loud against obviously harmful thing, this is not what PR and law are for. I get the entanglement of the teams, with all the money needed and different sponsors (some questionable, whole another story), but it's fucked up

on the other hand, what exactly would Nelson sue them for? for claiming the obvious fact and saying he's a racist or -more legally safe - saying that he "used words that one may consider to be of racist nature"? I don't know what are the rules of defamation according to law that would be applicable in such case country wise, but stating facts is not defamation.
Racist insults spoken publicly however are penalised by criminal law, at least where I am (how the law works in practice is also whole another story)

the only reason I see for not naming him directly is not to make him popular or his name trending *laughing through tears*

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Didn't expect this from Kelly. What was she thinking when she name that playlist?. Physical beauty and money is nothing when you don't have a good heart.
I’m not getting my hopes up on any statements, I wish they’d speak out, that’s not it, but they’re all too terrified to say something wrong or get misunderstood. They’re not realizing that saying something wrong may be better than silencing the topic. But also I don’t want them to be pressured into making a statement because then it wouldn’t be genuine.
I wish they speak out too. If they are afraid they will say something wrong, then they don't understand what people of color are going through. Like you said, it is no use with statement, any one can right it and post it there, it is not genuine.

Reactions: 7
Catching up now, the one week my factory insider is on holiday as well.

I do know the Max behind closed doors that comes into the factory is humble, pleasant and very appreciate of everyone that works there. He's always come across as nothing but a lovely lad, which considering his Father surprised me, but he is driven and dedicated. He's the type that will walk in the canteen pick up food and sit with any group for a chat.
I don't know how RB will handle this but they need to. I agree the timing is very interesting though. Piquet is an utter disgrace.

Reactions: 14
what is fucked up is that in such business environment, PR and legal stuff can be used as an instrument (or excuse often ) to not speak out loud against obviously harmful thing, this is not what PR and law are for. I get the entanglement of the teams, with all the money needed and different sponsors (some questionable, whole another story), but it's fucked up

on the other hand, what exactly would Nelson sue them for? for claiming the obvious fact and saying he's a racist or -more legally safe - saying that he "used words that one may consider to be of racist nature"? I don't know what are the rules of defamation according to law that would be applicable in such case country wise, but stating facts is not defamation.
Racist insults spoken publicly however are penalised by criminal law, at leats where, so....

the only reason I see for not naming him directly is not to make him popular or his name trending *laughing through tears*
Well, he could sue them for defamation like you said. I imagine he'd use that argument that it means something else in Brazil and therefore people are wrongly so accusing him of being racist and ruining his reputation. Nelson is, sadly, an influential man and could spin the narrative however he likes. I can't believe we live in a world where someone who wants to call a racial abuser by his name is facing more legal consequences than the one who's saying these things in the first place.

Reactions: 8

Racist insults spoken publicly however are penalised by criminal law, at least where I am (how the law works in practice is also whole another story)

It's honestly disappointing when the system makes it so that people are more afraid of calling out someone who made a racist comment than actually making the racist comment.

Well, he could sue them for defamation like you said. I imagine he'd use that argument that it means something else in Brazil and therefore people are wrongly so accusing him of being racist and ruining his reputation. Nelson is, sadly, an influential man and could spin the narrative however he likes. I can't believe we live in a world where someone who wants to call a racial abuser by his name is facing more legal consequences than the one who's saying these things in the first place.
Oops Imola didnt see your post before I posted but exactly this!

Reactions: 7
Also is there a reason why they are unable to directly name Piquet in their statements?
You’ve opened a legal can of worms now and I’m ready to bore you all to tears with the answer hahaha

If any person or team with sufficient influence was to outright name him it would open them up to defamation claims from Nelson.

By definition, defamation is making a statement that has caused or is likely to cause harm to someone’s reputation.

You may be saying ‘well he’s done that himself by making that statement’ and whilst that’s true, the exposure the drivers and the teams have means any statement they could make naming him would increase the number of people who know about the issue and would cause more harm to his reputation than already existed before they posted.

Under UK law Nelson would have to prove four points (1) a defamatory statement was made, (2) the statement was published by the defendant (in this case it could be a team or person) (3) the statement refers to Nelson and (4) the defamatory statement is likely to cause serious harm to his reputation.

There are defences which the defendant would have the burden to prove (truth, honest opinion, privilege, public interest etc.) but these would be hotly contested by both sides and a legal case would drag on for a year at the very least unless they decided to pursue alternative dispute resolution or settle the matter before trial. Any settlement would likely involve compensatory payments and public apologies/retractions.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
You’ve opened a legal can of worms now and I’m ready to bore you all to tears with the answer hahaha

If any person or team with sufficient influence was to outright name him it would open them up to defamation claims from Nelson.

By definition, defamation is making a statement that has caused or is likely to cause harm to someone’s reputation.

You may be saying ‘well he’s done that himself by making that statement’ and whilst that’s true, the exposure the drivers and the teams have means any statement they could make naming him would increase the number of people who know about the issue and would cause more harm to his reputation than already existed before they posted.

Under UK law Nelson would have to prove four points (1) a defamatory statement was made, (2) the statement was published by the defendant (in this case it could be a team or person) (3) the statement refers to Nelson and (4) the defamatory statement is likely to cause serious harm to his reputation.

There are defences which the defendant would have the burden to prove (truth, honest opinion, privilege, public interest etc.) but these would be hotly contested by both sides and a legal case would drag on for a year at the very least unless they decided to pursue alternative dispute resolution or settle the matter before trial. Any settlement would likely involve compensatory payments and public apologies/retractions.
Thank you for explaining this! It must be exhausting for LH to have to deal with this constantly. KP liking the post is astonishing really😒

Thank you for the in-depth explanation! Yeah I kind of guessed the whole defamation part eventually which is why I said what I said above. Sad state of affairs that people can't even properly be called out for the horrible things they say in cases like these.

Reactions: 9
ok,

and probably the case would gather him some fans and defenders....

Reactions: 4

Thank you for this great and easy to understand post 👏 I love the wide range of professions we have on this thread ❤

• Heart
I can finally say that I never liked Kelly, I’ve always found her to be a spoiled nepotism baby whose only job is to rely first on her family and then on Max, who she pursued to stay relevant. And I’m not surprised she’s racist too. Can you imagine the dinner conversations between the Verstappens and the Piquets last year? What was surely said about Lewis? Disgusting.

Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.