Formula 1 WAGS #106

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is it bad that I love Pierre’s chef pants? 😂😂😂 Another controversial choice.

1655848675977.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I genuinely want to hear your guys’ opinions on this one because for once I have none of my own because I’m so conflicted on it: Should Red Bull investigate Liam as well for his reaction to the slur?
It's definitely a difficult one. Someone saying it themselves like that so freely says to me that it's not a one off word that slipped out. That word isn't in my vocabulary and never has been, but I can remember being a teenager at school and the things people would use as insults were very homophobic. So I know I said stuff (tbh without really understanding the full impact of what I was saying) and then had to unlearn it after going off to college and realising what the words actually meant. But in this situation, with that word and the fact that he's an adult and capable of knowing full well that that is not acceptable language, its just very disappointing but also not that surprising. The bar is set pretty low in terms of the lack of diversity in motorsport, particularly the rungs on the F1 ladder.

The harder thing is how you judge someone else for their reaction in a split second. I would be a hypocrite if I said that everytime anyone I know has said something that is not OK (I have some loud extended family members I don't see especially often who would drop that word in conversation) that I have called them out on it. I'm not good at anything that feels like confrontation), so I can understand someone not feeling equipped with how best to deal with it and doing the 'awkward laugh.' I don't like it as a response either, because again I think everyone involved is old enough to know better, but I can understand why perhaps the immediate reaction was (or seemed to be, its only like a 15 second clip, no idea if anything further was said) as it was. He did at least say 'you can't say that' in reference to the homophobic pink hat comment.

I dunno if I have really made any sense there because it has been along day and I am exhausted.

Essentially I just think that the world of motosport is always going to keep letting us down in these kind of ways until real change happens in terms of diversity and inclusion and it not just being a place for mostly rich, mostly white, mostly boys/men.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.