Food and Drink #23

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It's a drains day here - I have a guy with a digger sorting out my field drainage and what we thought was going to be a simple job of unblocking one clogged up pipe has turned into needing a couple of hundred metres of new drains putting in so that our septic tank soakaway can start doing its job properly again. Good thing the tourist season starts again next month to pay for it!
Thanks to a bit of project creep after Mr F got involved, I still have two blokes, two diggers and a dumper truck in my fields. They reckon they'll finish the drainage work tomorrow and then Monday will be scraping all the soil back to where it should be so my field gates close again. They finally braved approaching the septic tank this afternoon and uncovered a total spaghetti junction of drainage pipes which had obviously been put in at various times over the years to try and fix the problem. We went for the nuclear option, ripped the lot out with the digger, and then rodded the original clay pipe leading back towards the tank. Well, the enormous built-up poo log that shot out should probably have had a minor Royal cracking a bottle of champagne against it and wishing it Godspeed, but that was followed by clear water and the tank pit is no longer brimming over :) We're getting an inspection chamber put in under a manhole cover there, so in future we have an easy access point for either rodding it or sticking the hose down if we need more water in the system in summer. I think, fingers crossed, we might just have fixed it finally.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
Thanks to a bit of project creep after Mr F got involved, I still have two blokes, two diggers and a dumper truck in my fields. They reckon they'll finish the drainage work tomorrow and then Monday will be scraping all the soil back to where it should be so my field gates close again. They finally braved approaching the septic tank this afternoon and uncovered a total spaghetti junction of drainage pipes which had obviously been put in at various times over the years to try and fix the problem. We went for the nuclear option, ripped the lot out with the digger, and then rodded the original clay pipe leading back towards the tank. Well, the enormous built-up poo log that shot out should probably have had a minor Royal cracking a bottle of champagne against it and wishing it Godspeed, but that was followed by clear water and the tank pit is no longer brimming over :) We're getting an inspection chamber put in under a manhole cover there, so in future we have an easy access point for either rodding it or sticking the hose down if we need more water in the system in summer. I think, fingers crossed, we might just have fixed it finally.
Glad you fixed it, but it sounds 🤢

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 15
Glad you fixed it, but it sounds 🤢
Honestly not bad at all - if they're working properly, which this one mostly was, there's very little smell even when you take the lid off :) I'm weird in that I love poking around drainage systems and getting them working again.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Been thinking of @crystaleyesd today, working in Russia atm - hope you're ok, well and safe xx
I'm ok dear heart. Just been shocked and numbed by the whole thing. It's starting to get a bit scary here (nothing compared to Ukraine ofc) - Facebook is getting taken down, so it's probably messaging services next to stop people arranging protests. Flights are being cancelled all over the place. I'm formulating an exit plan. I'll be fewmin if Vlad takes away my ability to lol at Jack 😑

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 36
I'm ok dear heart. Just been shocked and numbed by the whole thing. It's starting to get a bit scary here (nothing compared to Ukraine ofc) - Facebook is getting taken down, so it's probably messaging services next to stop people arranging protests. Flights are being cancelled all over the place. I'm formulating an exit plan. I'll be fewmin if Vlad takes away my ability to lol at Jack 😑
Oh bless you, hope you're ok and don't need to use your exit plan! Let me know if you need anything, somewhere to stay if you have to come back etc. lots of love xx

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Pleased to hear it’s sorted @Falkor and your pipes continue to flow!

Thinking of you @crystaleyesd. Like JC Cow I extend an offer of help. I know I don’t know you but any enemy of Jack is a friend of mine!

• Heart
Reactions: 23
It‘s so sweet of you to let us know you’re as ok as can be, considering the situation.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I've put Philomena in my YouTube thingy to watch later when I need a laugh.
Apparently the Norn hemisphere see the sky backwards to what we southerners do? I can't remember seeing it like that when I've been in North America but I heard an English astronomer say she saw the sky backwards in Australia. Hope I'm making sense, lads, my nausea meds duck with my brain some days, make me a bit dopey.
I went to a star gazing night at the Botanic Gardens in Sydney. The astronomer was Spanish born and said when he came to Australia and saw the Milky Way "for real life" for the first time, he cried. I found this very moving

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I'm watching my One True Love Nicky Wire wearing a jacket that looks a bit like a deckchair on BBC4 and it's put me off him a bit. I'm not usually this shallow, must be having an off day.

One of my friends has been watching as much Vic and Bob as she can get her hands on today, which I also recommend. I never watched the full series of Catterick but I remember catching a minute when I was flicking through channels, they were running around in the woods and heard a blood-curdling scream. Vic did a panicked face and asked "what was that?" And Bob replied "sounds like someone taking a tit". Which just ended me, ridiculous.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
I'm watching my One True Love Nicky Wire wearing a jacket that looks a bit like a deckchair on BBC4 and it's put me off him a bit. I'm not usually this shallow, must be having an off day.

One of my friends has been watching as much Vic and Bob as she can get her hands on today, which I also recommend. I never watched the full series of Catterick but I remember catching a minute when I was flicking through channels, they were running around in the woods and heard a blood-curdling scream. Vic did a panicked face and asked "what was that?" And Bob replied "sounds like someone taking a tit". Which just ended me, ridiculous.
soz, but I'm gonna have to fight you for nicky wire. 🥰 back in the day, I bought a floor length camo mesh dress just cos he had one

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
soz, but I'm gonna have to fight you for nicky wire. 🥰 back in the day, I bought a floor length camo mesh dress cos he had one
Me and him were wearing the same M&S leggings last time I saw him.
My first Manics gig (in 1994) he stopped them playing because I was getting crushed down the front 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Me and him were wearing the same M&S leggings last time I saw him.
My first Manics gig (in 1994) he stopped them playing because I was getting crushed down the front 🥰
ugh! you win.

what a fuckin lovely dude he is!❤

• Heart
Reactions: 13
ugh! you win.

what a fuckin lovely dude he is!❤
He was already married the first time I saw him so I was too late anyway. Although we had a moment last October, you know the bit he's allowed to sing in Your Love Alone? I winked at him and then pointed at him to cue him up and I'm almost certain he noticed and laughed at me, it was AMAZING.
Have you seen the Manics thread on here? The scandal!

I was thinking about you the other day, I have a keyring that says Getaway Car and the woman serving me in the shop noticed it and asked if it was a Taylor Swift keyring and I explained not deliberately, but I did buy it because I love the song and we had a nice but slightly awkward chat because no-one I know wants to talk about her and I was completely unprepared.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I’ve only ever seen the Manics live once, but they are the most powerful, loudest (in a good way) band I’ve ever seen.

@MaineCoonMama I’m so glad you enjoyed Philomena Cunk! I’d recommend her to anyone who likes comedy, there’s so many laughs per minute it’s hard to keep up.

This is one of my faves, ’Cunk on Feminism’.

“back in Queen Victorian times, women weren’t allowed to vote, even though we had a female king”.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
I saw him in a book shop in Cardiff (didn’t recognise him until some young female fans asked for an autograph).

• Wow
Does anyone else love this album? ‘Who Is Jill Scott?’

00C79813-2B20-4AEE-9877-D94C725FF5AE.jpg

Can‘t believe it came out 22 years ago! Jill Scott has gone on to become a legend in her genre, but this album is where is all begun and it’s iconic. If you don’t know her, you might recognise some of her songs, Beyoncé has sung her song “He Loves Me“ live, there was an early 2000s dance song called “Trippin” that sampled her song “It’s Love”.

ETA. One of the things that makes this album so cool is that it‘s like a journey, each song melts into the next one so perfectly. The songs are like poetry mixed with soul and R&B, it’s just so gorgeous and emotional, real and dreamy.

It really resonates with me because it came out around the time I had my first adult relationship and heartbreak - perfect soundtrack.

Even if you don’t know or like the music of Jilly from Philly, does anyone else have albums that just take them back to THAT moment?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Can I ask what the soil test is please?

Re: vaccinations - before I went to uni there was a lot of chat around ensuring we all had MMR jabs/boosters due to outbreaks of mumps at universities. Basically if you were born pre-1990 it’s unlikely you had the recommended dose (not out of negligence just more out of evolving understanding of vaccines and what was available at the time). But it was really hit and miss as to how effective it was as it came from the NHS Trusts not centrally at the time.

Appreciate that’s not related to meningitis but we also got jabbed against that as teens (it may only have been one strain though) but it’s now part of the infant vaccine programme at 8/12/16 weeks etc. Guessing other parents of young children/babies received the same but with both my children I got letters telling me they were eligible for X vaccines from central NHS as well as my local NHS Trust - this was outside of the standard vaccine appointment from the Drs. Without 🔺 I assume (in a broad sense) this is because numbers of vaccines have fallen over the past few years, not helped by panny D and cases of meningitis/measles have risen so crudely speaking it’s felt the herd immunity levels are dropping.

Sorry really dull chat I realise.

I’ve been having regular Counselling for a while, initially for stuff around pregnancy loss but it kind of evolved out from that. I’ve had some movement/recognition moments this week and feel exhausted from it. Long story short one of my parents did some stuff, at different points through childhood and adulthood that, although on their part they thought was ‘right’/well intentioned has been quite emotionally damaging. I think I’d been skirting round it for a while but not connected the dots out loud. A weird sense of relief/validation but also heaviness. Solidarity to other Fraus embarking on or working through things with Counsellors et al.

Does anyone have anything ‘different’ they do with stewing beef. I generally either make beef stew or a hairy bikers coconut beef curry but fancy doing something different. Appreciate I could Google but know a lot of you are really good at cooking/knowledgeable re food. Unfortunately I have no prunes or tinned fruit to hand to throw in a blender with the beef.
Stewing beef makes a gorgeous slow cooked chilli, much nicer than chilli made with mince 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Even if you don’t know or like the music of Jilly from Philly, does anyone else have albums that just take them back to THAT moment?
Yes - Whaler by Sophie B. Hawkins. Listened to it absolutely obsessively in my second and third years at university.

• Heart

View attachment 1088418

Can‘t believe it came out 22 years ago! Jill Scott has gone on to become a legend in her genre, but this album is where is all begun and it’s iconic. If you don’t know her, you might recognise some of her songs, Beyoncé has sung her song “He Loves Me“ live, there was an early 2000s dance song called “Trippin” that sampled her song “It’s Love”.

ETA. One of the things that makes this album so cool is that it‘s like a journey, each song melts into the next one so perfectly. The songs are like poetry mixed with soul and R&B, it’s just so gorgeous and emotional, real and dreamy.

It really resonates with me because it came out around the time I had my first adult relationship and heartbreak - perfect soundtrack.

Living My Life Like it’s Golden is one of my favourite songs.

Two albums that came out the year I finished my GCSEs - 3ft high and rising and club classics vol 1 always take me back to being 16 and just starting out going out to clubs and stuff - so great.

• Heart

View attachment 1088418

Anything by Gary Moore reminds me of my first love. He broke my heart, three separate times. That was 32 years ago and we're great friends now, he's my best friend tbh. We text every day and speak once a week on the phone.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.