Food and Drink #23

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Some more light relief, (and dinos, sorry), Philomena Cunk talks about them here from around 3 minutes in, and is just so funny.

Are they real theories? I’m obsessed with the question of what happened before the Big Bang. I don’t pretend to understand it but I love theoretical physics.
I took my step dad to see Prof Brian Green one night here in Melbourne. I didn't understand some of what he was saying but I came away with a big, plump brain that night.
Very interesting man!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Did we used to all be one particle/string or from a previous universe?

Ummmm. This is taking my mind off things.
Aren’t we all made of the same atoms? If you’ve ever drunk tap water in London you’ve shared it with Tudors and possibly Romans or something IDK

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
Aren’t we all made of the same atoms? If you’ve ever drunk tap water in London you’ve shared it with Tudors and possibly Romans or something IDK
I think we've all drunk Napoleon's wee or something? Maybe that's just something my brother said to gross me out. Sorry, haha.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
The light we see from some stars was sent out before the earth was made and some stars that we see in the sky aren’t there anymore but by the time it takes the light from their death to reach us, we won’t be here.

🤯

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
The light we see from some stars was sent out before the earth was made and some stars that we see in the sky aren’t there anymore but by the time it takes the light from their death to reach us, we won’t be here.

🤯
WHOA. So there could be future aliens that will still see our Sun, long after it’s gone.

I just watched the whole Philomena Cunk episode, and had forgotten that Neil Oliver is in it!
A few times now, I’ve seen people do impressions of him when he’s mentioned, it’s always a hair flick and swish, it’s even funnier (and just as effective) when guys with short hair do it!

• Haha
WHOA. So there could be future aliens that will still see our Sun, long after it’s gone.

I just watched the whole Philomena Cunk episode, and had forgotten that Neil Oliver is in it!
A few times now, I’ve seen people do impressions of him when he’s mentioned, it’s always a hair flick and swish, it’s even funnier (and just as effective) when guys with short hair do it!
I've put Philomena in my YouTube thingy to watch later when I need a laugh.
Apparently the Norn hemisphere see the sky backwards to what we southerners do? I can't remember seeing it like that when I've been in North America but I heard an English astronomer say she saw the sky backwards in Australia. Hope I'm making sense, lads, my nausea meds duck with my brain some days, make me a bit dopey.

• Heart

If they live far enough away, yes.

Science. Kids thought it was the worst subject (apart from Maths obvs- but science comes from Maths so 😎) and really it is just so amazing in every single way.

(Other than telling them “lies” about lactic acid in anaerobic respiration and energy levels in atoms)

Aliens. Sigourney List contender.

Does the water go down the plug hole the other way?

ETA- you know what. I should effing know. I crossed the thing when I went across the island in Indonesia. The island effing spans it. I was too busy worrying about wolf 🕷to notice.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I've been Cunking Philomena all afternoon, I haven't laughed like that in so long. Almost crying 😂

• Haha
I like the old Screenwipe episodes where she started with Barry Shitpeas on as well, not sure if they’re on YouTube

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I like the old Screenwipe episodes where she started with Barry Shitpeas on as well, not sure if they’re on YouTube
Thanks, I read about that earlier when I googled Diane Morgan. I sent a clip to my step dad, it's absolutely his type of humour.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I bought tinned alphonso mangoes because I'd never seen them before and they're pure 100% mango. Now I'm not sure what to do with them?
sorry if this has been answered loads already but I had about 3 big tins of them from the cheap Indian shop. This is my favourite thing to make with them https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mango_lime_lassi_bircher_13324/amp

but I have also used them to replace the mango and sweetener in this https://bakingfromthestart.wordpress.com/2012/01/05/mango-bbq-beans/

I have also mixed them with prosecco, added to salad dressing and intend to add to custard and serve with crumble.

• Heart
Last edited:
Reactions: 10
Who remembers the tvgohome website?

I don’t think you see the stars backwards in the Southern Hemisphere but they have totally different constellations - like the southern cross.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Who remembers the tvgohome website?

I don’t think you see the stars backwards in the Southern Hemisphere but they have totally different constellations - like the southern cross.
tvgohome was a definite highpoint, back when the internet was good. Also delighted to see a shout out for the Burgess Shale, Steven Jay Gould's Wonderful Life is my definitive comfort read - the huge stretch of time, and the amazing possible variations there in the fossil record.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Deffo. Equivalent to the Château Marmont in my eyes Sidey B.

Plunger of doom. Makes mess, hard to clean but fab coffee.

I saw a thing on ladbible this evening where a student ate his friend’s takeaway leftovers the next morning and got this bacterial infection which, because he hadn’t had his meningitis booster escalated somewhat. Amputations resulted. I am v fast and loose with dates/leftovers/bin food and use the soil test mainly. Mrs T was horrified to see me chuck stuff that I normally wouldn’t until I told her the story. I don’t even know if people our age are meant to have meningitis vaccines.
Can I ask what the soil test is please?

Re: vaccinations - before I went to uni there was a lot of chat around ensuring we all had MMR jabs/boosters due to outbreaks of mumps at universities. Basically if you were born pre-1990 it’s unlikely you had the recommended dose (not out of negligence just more out of evolving understanding of vaccines and what was available at the time). But it was really hit and miss as to how effective it was as it came from the NHS Trusts not centrally at the time.

Appreciate that’s not related to meningitis but we also got jabbed against that as teens (it may only have been one strain though) but it’s now part of the infant vaccine programme at 8/12/16 weeks etc. Guessing other parents of young children/babies received the same but with both my children I got letters telling me they were eligible for X vaccines from central NHS as well as my local NHS Trust - this was outside of the standard vaccine appointment from the Drs. Without 🔺 I assume (in a broad sense) this is because numbers of vaccines have fallen over the past few years, not helped by panny D and cases of meningitis/measles have risen so crudely speaking it’s felt the herd immunity levels are dropping.

Sorry really dull chat I realise.

I’ve been having regular Counselling for a while, initially for stuff around pregnancy loss but it kind of evolved out from that. I’ve had some movement/recognition moments this week and feel exhausted from it. Long story short one of my parents did some stuff, at different points through childhood and adulthood that, although on their part they thought was ‘right’/well intentioned has been quite emotionally damaging. I think I’d been skirting round it for a while but not connected the dots out loud. A weird sense of relief/validation but also heaviness. Solidarity to other Fraus embarking on or working through things with Counsellors et al.

Does anyone have anything ‘different’ they do with stewing beef. I generally either make beef stew or a hairy bikers coconut beef curry but fancy doing something different. Appreciate I could Google but know a lot of you are really good at cooking/knowledgeable re food. Unfortunately I have no prunes or tinned fruit to hand to throw in a blender with the beef.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 22
Can I ask what the soil test is please?

Re: vaccinations - before I went to uni there was a lot of chat around ensuring we all had MMR jabs/boosters due to outbreaks of mumps at universities. Basically if you were born pre-1990 it’s unlikely you had the recommended dose (not out of negligence just more out of evolving understanding of vaccines and what was available at the time). But it was really hit and miss as to how effective it was as it came from the NHS Trusts not centrally at the time.

Appreciate that’s not related to meningitis but we also got jabbed against that as teens (it may only have been one strain though) but it’s now part of the infant vaccine programme at 8/12/16 weeks etc. Guessing other parents of young children/babies received the same but with both my children I got letters telling me they were eligible for X vaccines from central NHS as well as my local NHS Trust - this was outside of the standard vaccine appointment from the Drs. Without 🔺 I assume (in a broad sense) this is because numbers of vaccines have fallen over the past few years, not helped by panny D and cases of meningitis/measles have risen so crudely speaking it’s felt the herd immunity levels are dropping.

Sorry really dull chat I realise.

I’ve been having regular Counselling for a while, initially for stuff around pregnancy loss but it kind of evolved out from that. I’ve had some movement/recognition moments this week and feel exhausted from it. Long story short one of my parents did some stuff, at different points through childhood and adulthood that, although on their part they thought was ‘right’/well intentioned has been quite emotionally damaging. I think I’d been skirting round it for a while but not connected the dots out loud. A weird sense of relief/validation but also heaviness. Solidarity to other Fraus embarking on or working through things with Counsellors et al.

Does anyone have anything ‘different’ they do with stewing beef. I generally either make beef stew or a hairy bikers coconut beef curry but fancy doing something different. Appreciate I could Google but know a lot of you are really good at cooking/knowledgeable re food. Unfortunately I have no prunes or tinned fruit to hand to throw in a blender with the beef.
Will send a longer reply but ♥ to you.

Soil test- does it taste of soil? Yes? Don’t eat. No? Probably good to go.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
This is from my very ancient copy of the Pauper's Cookbook, I used to make it all the time (I remember using it for chunks of meat rather than in one piece, have no recollection of ever faffing about with string though, plus I think I used to put it in an oven on a lowish heat while I was talking to my guests wrangling toddlers). Also, anyone else remember when star anise was really difficult to get hold of because it was meant to counteract SARS (I think it was SARS. Some scary virus anyway)
1645802062296.png
1645802132838.png

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.