Food and Drink #23

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I couldn't think of a good thread title, send helpos! Continue here with anything that would threaten to derail the MT including but not limited to our favourite songs to serenade our cats with and the best food to entice Terrys into your garden.

Some words we use on here and what they mean

Lots of us on here originate from the Jack Monroe threads, and because of this we use some in-joke words and phrases. Everyone is welcome, of course, so here is a post from Switch that might help:

I love that we've organically basically created our own phrases and words – it’s like the internet equivalent of a regional accent!

All are welcome here! Please do feel free to talk about food/drink/life in general! To avoid any confusion some common things/words you might see:

Fraus / frauen – the witty ladies and gentlemen of the Jack Monroe threads were once referred to as a ‘a cabal of sad little hausfraus’ or something like it and we all loved it and adopted it as a term of endearment (so you may see someone say ‘hey fraus!’ Or ‘how are the cabal today?’ Or sometimes bastardised to 'canal')

🔺️ – triangulation warning! (as in to make yourself potentially locatable/identifiable to a washed up food blogger with a 100% success rate in court and an obsession with tattlers)

Grunking/having a grunka/a grunka lunka – to catch up on lots of posts (named after the wonderful @GrunkaLunka )

'Now duck off xx' – you might see us put this at the end of our posts, but we're just joking around don't worry!

‘I’M BUSY/something about a piss and a sandwich’ again mocking Jack Monroe who on #31 of her threads joined Tattle and tried to turn it into her bloody diary with a bunch of long self pitying posts, but had the nerve to ask if she ‘could go now’ for a piss and a sandwich to which the cabal were like ... ‘Yes please. Go. We have been telling you to leave for hours.’
ALSO:

MT or Mother Thread means the Jack Monroe thread.
We might mention Vladimir Putin / ‘Vlad’ and be paid with bitcoin.
Please feel welcome to join in - the thread is about food and drink, but also everything and anything else.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
Thank you for the threado TS!

@emm The guy you mentioned on the last thread who taught himself echolocation, I remember seeing him on tv, maybe a documentary? What he can do is just astonishing.

@Falkor we had the exact same “jungle bells“! I loved how it suddenly went intergalactic with the Milky Way part!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Hiding in here for a bit, the MT is triggering my nausea. I mean, I clean up cat poo every day and I'm used to bulldog land mines but some days I just can't deal with it.

Continuing with bats, @traumatised sideboard I also have a bat tattoo, done back in 1988 but it still looks ok-ish. Goes well with my witch-on-a-broomstick and Ralph Wiggum.
My friend T lives in a small town that has a 'bat walk' at dusk and it's quite something.The noise of their wings all beating together is just awesome plus they eat all the mosquitoes so it's a great experience.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Sorry Sidey B, jungle bells is making me hoot. Can't decide if it's a drum & bass remix of Jingle Bells or a South Asian interpretation of Tubular Bells.

Bringing this across from the MT, good luck with your bench pressing @discokebab! I have already bench pressed the Queen (not with a legal pause 🤫) but I am heavier than Her Majesty so it's not that impressive. At the beginning of November I was about a fortnight of training from reaching body weight/one plate and then I got (or rather had to stop pretending I didn't have) a rotator cuff injury. Be sure to come and boast about it when you reach your goal, that's the most important part!

Also I know it's not Facturday but I've brought a Kate Bush fact for you all: she was only 13 when she wrote 'The Man With the Child In His Eyes'. Brb just going to chuck all my instruments in the river.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
Thank you for the new thread!

I'm cleaning an end of lease house today. It's like an episode of "How Clean is Your House".

I'm having fun, working my butt off, earning a small fortune AND empty houses have beautiful acoustics for singing.

Brought my speaker, currently have Joelene on repeat, belter!

PS: I know all the lyrics

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Bats are super cute, but their screams are a bit freaky. Weirdest noise though is geckos. You'd never imagine a lizard making that kind of sound.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Bringing this across from the MT, good luck with your bench pressing @discokebab! I have already bench pressed the Queen (not with a legal pause 🤫) but I am heavier than Her Majesty so it's not that impressive. At the beginning of November I was about a fortnight of training from reaching body weight/one plate and then I got (or rather had to stop pretending I didn't have) a rotator cuff injury. Be sure to come and boast about it when you reach your goal, that's the most important part!
I've been summoned! (insert *you rang* gif) I've been meaning to flock to F&D for time but life gets in the way. Ahhhh congrats on the Queen-pressing and sorry to hear about the rotator cuff preventing the juicy single plate action. Hope you have a recovery regime for it and it feels better soon! I am very very much a long way off the bench press goal, I wonder what F&D thread will be on then? Either way I'm not planning on competing again until I reach Masters level at 40 because all the younglings who are coming into Senior now (24+) are terrifying and I don't compete to come actually last, just almost last.

I also love me some bats, I call my rats 'land bats'. I don't know how they feel about the comparison.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I've been summoned! (insert *you rang* gif) I've been meaning to flock to F&D for time but life gets in the way. Ahhhh congrats on the Queen-pressing and sorry to hear about the rotator cuff preventing the juicy single plate action. Hope you have a recovery regime for it and it feels better soon! I am very very much a long way off the bench press goal, I wonder what F&D thread will be on then? Either way I'm not planning on competing again until I reach Masters level at 40 because all the younglings who are coming into Senior now (24+) are terrifying and I don't compete to come actually last, just almost last.

I also love me some bats, I call my rats 'land bats'. I don't know how they feel about the comparison.
Land bats! 🦇 That's so funny! I'd love a rat, my friend has four and they're so sweet. Two are called Ursula and Cruella.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Our version of Jingle Bells was as follows:

Jingle Bells
Jingles Bells
Batman smells
Robin laid an egg
The Batmobile lost its wheel and the Joker got away, hey!

Near my parents a new A road was built (yonks ago now) and they had to build special bat boxes and nets. Mr Beds worked on a project where the Great Crested Newt had to be protected (not endangered here but are in Europe). They had to be relocated - newt became a dirty word in our house for the duration of the project but I found it quite amusing as I imagined a Chief Newt negotiating terms and remunerations. Had images of Newts and Lizard people being two of the same 😂.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
I know we’re all dotted about but if anyone is in the red zone for the storm tomorrow please stay safe.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I know we’re all dotted about but if anyone is in the red zone for the storm tomorrow please stay safe.
Echo this completely. Storms are so stressful. There are some people up here who had a week of no power from Arwen, then 2 days off a few weeks ago, off again last night and today and are worried for tonight.

It must be awful when it is combined with flooding. I know I will be up from 3 on #snowwatch.

❤
ETA- just to cheer everyone up, I just had to ask Mrs T if The Rock and Dwayne Johnson were the same person. I thought they were like Zooey Deschanel and Katy Perry but apparently they are the same person. Didn’t even get an eye roll. One day until half term, she’s half asleep on the sofa hoping for a snow day tomorrow and not up for my tit.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Land bats! 🦇 That's so funny! I'd love a rat, my friend has four and they're so sweet. Two are called Ursula and Cruella.
I used to have rats! Best pets ever, they are so sweet, clever and loving. The only problem is life span, 2 years is about the maximum they live to, and they are prone to tumours. Mine lived to 18 and 20 months, both had to be PTS cos of tumours. I loved them so much!

Here is a pic of my little sleeve surfer, she loved riding around in my hoody.
Screenshot_20220217-214108_Instagram.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 24
ETA- just to cheer everyone up, I just had to ask Mrs T if The Rock and Dwayne Johnson were the same person. I thought they were like Zooey Deschanel and Katy Perry but apparently they are the same person.
Hahaha I’m getting a bit sick of DJ if I’m honest he’s like an American Sheridan Smith he’s on everything. I watched a bit of the SuperBowl on Sunday/Monday and there he was.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
I used to have rats! Best pets ever, they are so sweet, clever and loving. The only problem is life span, 2 years is about the maximum they live to, and they are prone to tumours. Mine lived to 18 and 20 months, both had to be PTS cos of tumours. I loved them so much!

Here is a pic of my little sleeve surfer, she loved riding around in my hoody.View attachment 1070019
Mr Pixie has a gaggle of very old lady rats (nearly 2.5 years!) and lost one over the weekend. It is absolutely heartbreaking. I had mice as a kid but couldn't do it again. Your little girl looks lovely <3

• Heart
I saw Eunice is on her way, thinking of all you Frauen in the path of it. 100k winds, it's just crazy. 💕 to you all.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.