Food and Drink #21

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
im going back to my parents today, they are going to Drive me as i have both cats with me, not looking forward to the hourdrive with my kitten who hates cars and just endlesdly miaows, should have thought of catnip šŸ¤£
Oh I hope you and the kitties have the most wonderful Christmas!!

My dad also came to collect me as I've just got over Covid and didn't feel comfortable getting the train as I'm still coughing a lot - parents are wonderful aren't they?

@MaineCoonMama we watched Paul O'Grady for the love of dogs last night (not sure if you get it in Oz?) And there was a maine coon on it - told my mum I have an Internet friend with the best maine coons (hope you don't mind i referred to you as a friend haha) and showed her your pics of Susan - she now has a new fan!

• Heart
Reactions: 17
@Cookiecookie I saw there's a cyclone headed your way. Hope you guys stay safe!
My brother is about 45 minutes inland and said it's raining full on. šŸ’–
Yes, and it can bugger off! Still just a watch, not a warning atm, so fingers crossed it stays that way. People always get a bit twitchy when cyclones and Christmas are mentioned in the same sentence because of Cyclone Tracy.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Yes, and it can bugger off! Still just a watch, not a warning atm, so fingers crossed it stays that way. People always get a bit twitchy when cyclones and Christmas are mentioned in the same sentence because of Cyclone Tracy.
Ugh. Is that like a hurricane called something else because it originates somewhere else? I hope everything is ok where you are ā™„.

Thank you so much to everyone who has respondedā€¦ it really means the world. We have been out for a walk and are planning another later so the day is punctuated and isnā€™t dominated by my obsession over food. I am trying to take each hour as a win. I think I will have to look for help after the NY as I am nowhere near mended and my thoughts are all over the place.

Sending the biggest hugs to those who are also having a rough time, whatever the struggle- alcohol, food, family, MH. All I can say is that this place has been my sanctuary and I will try to offer help in whatever way I can or be a box to reply to at 3am to discuss anything and everything to take the mind off the darkness.

ā™„ā™„ā™„ā™„

Edit- I have just read the latest updates on the MT re ā€œ baby steps out of the darknessā€. I honestly donā€™t know whether to edit my post or just leave it. šŸ„ŗ

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
You are so lovely @Into_the_tunnel - I really hope the next few days are ok for you. The cabal are always here if you need us! Hope tunnel dog also has a wonderful treat filled Christmas!

• Heart
I feel you ED fraus as although different, I also struggle at this time of year. I stopped drinking for good last year, as although I don't think I'm an alcoholic I was a binge drinker, so if I had a drink I'd want more and more...since getting to my parents house last night I've been asked (with good intentions) if I want one "as it's Christmas" so many times - my dad gets it but my mum genuinely doesn't understand - "oh it doesn't matter if you get a bit drunk, it's Christmas after all" - no mum, if I have a drink I'll ruin my MH for days, and Christmas won't be fun for anyone
On a positive note, I'm spending Christmas at my brothers house, I've bought his cat some super strength catnip in the hope that if I get her high she will be my best friend and sleep on my pillow (she's not the most affectionate cat but when she stayed with me when he went on holiday she did just that, purred in my face, I got next to no sleep but I loved every second of it) ā¤
Not at all pushing AA on you but I identify with exactly what you wrote re: binge drinking. I was never physically dependent and was āœØthrivingāœØ as a recently graduated gal doing well at work, didnā€™t drink every day but loved a šŸ•ŗpartyšŸ•ŗ but Friday night would roll round to Monday morning in a whizz and it just wasnā€™t sustainable. Then Thursday became the new Friday. It was exactly the same for me with poor MH for days/weeks after and an increasing vault of shame and self esteem issues. Iā€™m not saying you need it at all but if you are struggling you may like listening to the big book or some speaker notes or chairs (theyā€™ve even got famous ones like Sir Anthony Hopkins which I keep meaning to listen to!) on YouTube? Itā€™s not gonna indoctrinate you or make you think youā€™re doomed unless you do the steps I promise, I think a lot of people have an ever changing and occasionally challenging relationship with alcohol *on some level* and whilst I have faith AA works for me I also know that some people donā€™t need such serious interventions to sort themselves out - maybe they already had an emotional toolbox from good parenting & secure attachments in childhood, or maybe theyā€™re doing therapy, etc etc. Really hope this doesnā€™t come across as recruitment to a cult, just theyā€™re fab resources available to anyone! ā¤

Iā€™m so sorry my love, sending tons of solidarity and compassion for you. Iā€™m sorry I have no advice other than to take it easy and try to be your own loving parent with food?

And thank you guys - husband is okay has woken up with a slightly swollen hand and I wish heā€™d get x rayed but weā€™re going to see if it still hurts tomorrow and review šŸ˜¬

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Not at all pushing AA on you but I identify with exactly what you wrote re: binge drinking. I was never physically dependent and was āœØthrivingāœØ as a recently graduated gal doing well at work, didnā€™t drink every day but loved a šŸ•ŗpartyšŸ•ŗ but Friday night would roll round to Monday morning in a whizz and it just wasnā€™t sustainable. Then Thursday became the new Friday. It was exactly the same for me with poor MH for days/weeks after and an increasing vault of shame and self esteem issues. Iā€™m not saying you need it at all but if you are struggling you may like listening to the big book or some speaker notes or chairs (theyā€™ve even got famous ones like Sir Anthony Hopkins which I keep meaning to listen to!) on YouTube? Itā€™s not gonna indoctrinate you or make you think youā€™re doomed unless you do the steps I promise, I think a lot of people have an ever changing and occasionally challenging relationship with alcohol *on some level* and whilst I have faith AA works for me I also know that some people donā€™t need such serious interventions to sort themselves out - maybe they already had an emotional toolbox from good parenting & secure attachments in childhood, or maybe theyā€™re doing therapy, etc etc. Really hope this doesnā€™t come across as recruitment to a cult, just theyā€™re fab resources available to anyone! ā¤

Iā€™m so sorry my love, sending tons of solidarity and compassion for you. Iā€™m sorry I have no advice other than to take it easy and try to be your own loving parent with food?

And thank you guys - husband is okay has woken up with a slightly swollen hand and I wish heā€™d get x rayed but weā€™re going to see if it still hurts tomorrow and review šŸ˜¬
That same accident happened to an ex of mine also wearing socks. It was on my staircase and the carpet was a few years old so not worn out. He ran down them without using the bannister either. Iā€™ve tripped on my stairs while wearing wide legged trousers and got caught up in them, fell and sprained my ankle. I also didnā€™t use the bannister that time. Itā€™s very frightening. I attended the hospital a few days later for an X-ray and they confirmed the sprain. It was hugely swollen and I couldnā€™t walk on it.
Stair accidents are very common, unfortunately. Do you have a bannister?

I hope your mister feels better very soon.

Last edited:
  • Heart
@heretoreaditall2019 I fell down the stairs (in slippers on carpet) and broke my pelvis a few years ago, there's still a dent across my left arse cheek šŸ”ŗ where I landed so I'm eternally grateful I didn't land on anywhere less padded. He has my full sympathy and definitely go back for an x-ray if you think he needs it.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
My friend fell down the stairs after getting caught up in wide leg pjs and broke both her wrists - not sure why I am telling you this sorry??? I just remember she couldn't wipe her bum. She is fully recovered now and to this day I cant wear wide leg long pjs!!!

• Wow
  • Haha
Ugh. Is that like a hurricane called something else because it originates somewhere else? I hope everything is ok where you are ā™„.

Thank you so much to everyone who has respondedā€¦ it really means the world. We have been out for a walk and are planning another later so the day is punctuated and isnā€™t dominated by my obsession over food. I am trying to take each hour as a win. I think I will have to look for help after the NY as I am nowhere near mended and my thoughts are all over the place.

Sending the biggest hugs to those who are also having a rough time, whatever the struggle- alcohol, food, family, MH. All I can say is that this place has been my sanctuary and I will try to offer help in whatever way I can or be a box to reply to at 3am to discuss anything and everything to take the mind off the darkness.

ā™„ā™„ā™„ā™„

Edit- I have just read the latest updates on the MT re ā€œ baby steps out of the darknessā€. I honestly donā€™t know whether to edit my post or just leave it. šŸ„ŗ
Hey Tunnel, I have no advice, but I do understand how youā€™re feeling.

Itā€™s such a good sign that youā€™re talking it through with us, I still find it so hard to talk about anything like this because of the ā€œshameā€, and it shouldnā€™t be that way.

I know how it feels to worry that it could go wrong, but, honestly, thereā€™s also a really good chance that it wonā€™t. Taking it an hour at a time is a brilliant idea. Iā€™m so sorry Iā€™m not articulating this very well, but I hope it helps to see that we have your back. Iā€™m so happy for you that youā€™re going to look for help soon. It really comes across that deep down you care for and respect yourself, and with MH issues thatā€™s such an achievement in itself.
Youā€˜re a fab box to reply to at stupid o clock in the morning!

Thinking of everyone who is finding this time of year hard. Itā€™s so so important to be able to talk it through, and I have so much respect for everyone whoā€™s been so open.

Last edited:
  • Heart

ā™„ā™„ā™„ā™„

I knit socks for myself and people I love, and also darn them when this is (inevitably) needed, which has taught me the useful, but sometimes hard, lesson that mending is an ongoing process and that we are all works in progress. And sometimes that progress is very small and very slow.

• Heart
Happy Christmas to everyone on this thread. You have been such a supportive, wise and funny group of people. You have kept me going on my dark/low days.
This will be my 9th alcohol free year. It really is freedom. AA has worked for me. There are 24 hour zoom meetings (in English) all around the world.Google AA zoom meetings and you will find a code. Some are women only groups. šŸŽ„šŸŽ„

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Happy Christmas to everyone on this thread. You have been such a supportive, wise and funny group of people. You have kept me going on my dark/low days.
This will be my 9th alcohol free year. It really is freedom. AA has worked for me. There are 24 hour zoom meetings (in English) all around the world.Google AA zoom meetings and you will find a code. Some are women only groups. šŸŽ„šŸŽ„
Congratulations to you and everyone who is now sober. I never had that problem, but my ex husband did (I thought he would change) so I eventually had to leave him because of it. His life was cut short due to the effect drinking had on his body.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 21
My friend fell down the stairs after getting caught up in wide leg pjs and broke both her wrists - not sure why I am telling you this sorry??? I just remember she couldn't wipe her bum. She is fully recovered now and to this day I cant wear wide leg long pjs!!!
Omg falling down stairs is a phobia of mine (luckily I live in a ground floor flat so not an issue at home but my parents have carpeted stairs so I am always clinging to the bannister here. How did she manage with 2broken wrists?!
Car journey was okay as I managed to cram both cats into one carry box so they were more calm, although one of them weed in it šŸ¤¢
Sending Xmas eve ā¤ To the cabal and all the pets (Susan gets a special mention for having the best name šŸ˜‚)
Anyone have any xmas eve plans? W usually go out to dinner but because of everything we are going to get a takeaway which is better for me as still not feeling great after booster , i donā€™t know about everyone els but it really doesnā€™t feel like Xmas this year

• Heart
A friend is having drinks in her carport but Iā€™m so behind with getting the house ready for guests (and the weather is filthy and Iā€™m a bit traumatised by having to split up a sibling barney) Iā€™m just going to stay in and finish off what I can (and wash my hair which is v overdue).

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Look at that little face!!! Definitely worthy of a thread (rave obviously) in my opinion. F & D animalia are the best.

How is Mr HTRIA this morning? Is his arm still bad? I think shoes might be preferable to grippy socks unless he likes the feel of sticky things when he walks on no carpet floor. šŸ˜‘.

Good luck to all who are working in the wild today. The shop was quiet yesterday. I think that up here people are being really cautious (although the fb groups are saying the queues outside the out of town tescos etc are big) so the city was dead.

Again, like my birthday, Christmas is one of those times that I always ruined by refusing to eat anything and then doing the inevitable on my own afterwards. I am trying really hard to make this year special after the shitshow of the last 2 and the many many before but it is so hard not to find a reason to run miles to excuse the food etc. Sorry if I am being a misery, but I donā€™t want to let Mrs T down.
Oh Tunnel please donā€™t apologise youā€™re not being a misery at all. Please look after yourself and donā€™t pressure yourself about letting people down ā¤.
Keep safe @Cookiecookie I know that sounds a bit daft considering thereā€™s a cyclone about, youā€™re not about to climb a tree but yeah.
Hope your husbands arm is better soon @heretoreaditall2019.
And apologies if this post appears in between a touching moment.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
happy xmas to you all and thank you for being here. ā¤ loads of us have been through so much crap recently and I for one am so grateful for this little space to vent

right now, I feeling pretty happy cos I've just got in and getting home on xmas eve has always been my favourite feeling. there'll inevitably be some tears in the next few days though, so I'm just planning in trying to switch off and look after myself as much as possible

love to everyone who's finding it a struggle. I'm not great at advice, but I'm thinking of you. you're the best bunch of mendacious ninnies ever!

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Merry Christmas everyone and lots of love to everyone who is struggling. Iā€™m pleased there are so many good people here with a mix of knowledge and advice to help in any situation.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Merry Christmas my invisible friends! It's been a strange and difficult year but I'm ever thankful I found the Cabal in a puddle . ā™„

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.