Food and Drink #21

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I had the gousto Xmas box which had a great nut roast, fairly basic I guess, tasted a little bit like stuffing. Lentils, pistachios, dried cranberries onion, panko breadcrumbs. Reckon you could use any nuts you like. Added bonus for me being at home so didn’t have to cook any of it 😉 exciting trip yesterday to the mystical Heron foods however didn’t come out with any crazy bargains just some bog standard basics. Sad to see Homey B’s so empty, no hot chocolate at all!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Godspeed to all retail and NHS Frauen and Herren, as an NHS frau I feel pretty useless not bring able to work in the hospital although I am still reporting from home so hopefully that counts for something. Any and all goodwill towards key workers seems to have gone well and truly out the window these last few months, which is depressing but was inevitable I suppose 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Any and all goodwill towards key workers seems to have gone well and truly out the window these last few months, which is depressing but was inevitable I suppose 😭
Have really noticed this wrt delivery drivers / posties. Like the majority of us have been privileged enough to stay at home and have things we need or want delivered to us, this is our second Christmas in a pandemic and people on Facebook are just being absolutely vile.

Off topic: tonight my husband fell down a full flight of stairs tonight and thankfully he’s fine (although I’m worried about his arm as it’s started hurting hours later) but it’s freaked me out big time. Especially as we have a toddler. Is this just a thing that happens with carpeted stairs? He was wearing socks which he’s blamed for it, is this a normal household accident?! I’m at a loss as to what we can do as googling non slip carpet doesn’t yield anything useful, I have a sweetheart floor man but I don’t really want to message him on Christmas Eve Eve. I was ready to just rip it all up immediately to get rid tbh, sorry this is so wildly divergent from F&D and Christmas but omg I don’t know how to make this better?!

• Heart
  • Sad
Have really noticed this wrt delivery drivers / posties. Like the majority of us have been privileged enough to stay at home and have things we need or want delivered to us, this is our second Christmas in a pandemic and people on Facebook are just being absolutely vile.

Off topic: tonight my husband fell down a full flight of stairs tonight and thankfully he’s fine (although I’m worried about his arm as it’s started hurting hours later) but it’s freaked me out big time. Especially as we have a toddler. Is this just a thing that happens with carpeted stairs? He was wearing socks which he’s blamed for it, is this a normal household accident?! I’m at a loss as to what we can do as googling non slip carpet doesn’t yield anything useful, I have a sweetheart floor man but I don’t really want to message him on Christmas Eve Eve. I was ready to just rip it all up immediately to get rid tbh, sorry this is so wildly divergent from F&D and Christmas but omg I don’t know how to make this better?!
What a shock! Sounds like an unfortunate accident though; I don’t think carpet is more likely than anything else to make you slip or fall so I wouldn’t rush to get rid of it. It just takes a slight misstep or loss of concentration to launch yourself down the stairs regardless of the covering! I totally get the fear with a toddler around though, and unfortunately have experienced mine falling down 2-3 steps onto the tiled hallway floor (thankfully no harm done, only hysterical crying from the shock).

Hope your husband’s arm is feeling ok though, does he still have full sensation in it? If it doesn’t improve I’d suggest he gets it checked over, better safe than sorry. He’ll probably feel a bit battered and bruised in the morning but hopefully knew how to fall gracefully being Eddie the Eagle and all that

• Heart
Reactions: 16

I don’t have anything useful to add, I think @AlphaBetaDeux is so right.
I just want to say it sounds like you got even more of a fright than he did, and I totally understand that. I get quite shaken if I see anyone I care about getting even a mild injury. I hope your husband heals up soon, and (I can’t think of a less cheesy way to say this, sorry) please go easy on yourself too.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
What a shock! Sounds like an unfortunate accident though; I don’t think carpet is more likely than anything else to make you slip or fall so I wouldn’t rush to get rid of it. It just takes a slight misstep or loss of concentration to launch yourself down the stairs regardless of the covering! I totally get the fear with a toddler around though, and unfortunately have experienced mine falling down 2-3 steps onto the tiled hallway floor (thankfully no harm done, only hysterical crying from the shock).

Hope your husband’s arm is feeling ok though, does he still have full sensation in it? If it doesn’t improve I’d suggest he gets it checked over, better safe than sorry. He’ll probably feel a bit battered and bruised in the morning but hopefully knew how to fall gracefully being Eddie the Eagle and all that
Thank you for replying and HotesofOats it sounds silly but it’s been such a shock! I hope this doesn’t sound insensitive as it’s not meant badly at all - but we have a really good friend end up paralysed from the waist down in a total freak accident, so anything like this makes you think how seriously bad tit really can just happen to anyone at any time.

Stairs are so dangerous tho can’t believe they’ve not invented a really good carpet for them! Google just recommends those grippy socks you have as a kid 🥴

• Heart
  • Sad

It will be the sox, needs slippers or house shoes

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Thank you for replying and HotesofOats it sounds silly but it’s been such a shock! I hope this doesn’t sound insensitive as it’s not meant badly at all - but we have a really good friend end up paralysed from the waist down in a total freak accident, so anything like this makes you think how seriously bad tit really can just happen to anyone at any time.

Stairs are so dangerous tho can’t believe they’ve not invented a really good carpet for them! Google just recommends those grippy socks you have as a kid 🥴
Try washing socks without fabric conditioner - that can make them slippy. Hope he is ok today.

Good luck to everyone working today. I am working from home all day which is akin to not working at all.

OFF TOPIC: I know we have a few gamers on here. Can you suggest any two player games for 10 year olds please? I think Santa might have a Playstation for one of mine tomorrow.

Also, I was thinking about the F&D babies born over the past couple of years - they will all be at the lovely age to enjoy Christmas this year. Enjoy every second!

• Heart
Merry Christmas eve ninnies! I am now covid free and at my parents house! Jay-cloth dog wanted to say hi - he wonders if he is worthy of a tattle thread based on his toy (he actually found it in a muddy puddle in the park - is he Jack?) and the fact that he is a massive grifter - gives me puppydog eyes and gets treats in return.

Attachments

• Heart
Merry Christmas eve ninnies! I am now covid free and at my parents house! Jay-cloth dog wanted to say hi - he wonders if he is worthy of a tattle thread based on his toy (he actually found it in a muddy puddle in the park - is he Jack?) and the fact that he is a massive grifter - gives me puppydog eyes and gets treats in return.
He is very cute. I love his little face.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Try washing socks without fabric conditioner - that can make them slippy. Hope he is ok today.

Good luck to everyone working today. I am working from home all day which is akin to not working at all.

OFF TOPIC: I know we have a few gamers on here. Can you suggest any two player games for 10 year olds please? I think Santa might have a Playstation for one of mine tomorrow.

Also, I was thinking about the F&D babies born over the past couple of years - they will all be at the lovely age to enjoy Christmas this year. Enjoy every second!
Omg never even thought of this - largely try and do towels in washes without fabric conditioner but not socks! Thank you 🤦🏻‍♀️

+ on games @traumatised sideboard is actually cool so will have better recommendations, little big planet is a brilliant game but may be a bit jolly japes for the modern preteen/teen boy? The multiplayer is great and actually decently balanced eg one person isn’t bored out their brains, there’s online play, you can make your own levels & play other people’s. I’d guess kids that like minecraft would like it a lot? Every British man under 30 I’ve ever worked with has loved FIFA and/or football manager, I think both have good online too?

+ YES! SO excited for Christmas this year. Our most played with toy is currently a hello fresh box that’s being coloured in as some sort of hideous mixed media art project so not sure how much the presents will be enjoyed but just excited for it all. Currently cooking frozen croissants (where did all the fresh ones go?? How could they be so sold out for so far ahead of Christmas?!) hence having time for this boring essay soz xx

• Heart
Look at that little face!!! Definitely worthy of a thread (rave obviously) in my opinion. F & D animalia are the best.

How is Mr HTRIA this morning? Is his arm still bad? I think shoes might be preferable to grippy socks unless he likes the feel of sticky things when he walks on no carpet floor. 😑.

Good luck to all who are working in the wild today. The shop was quiet yesterday. I think that up here people are being really cautious (although the fb groups are saying the queues outside the out of town tescos etc are big) so the city was dead.

Again, like my birthday, Christmas is one of those times that I always ruined by refusing to eat anything and then doing the inevitable on my own afterwards. I am trying really hard to make this year special after the shitshow of the last 2 and the many many before but it is so hard not to find a reason to run miles to excuse the food etc. Sorry if I am being a misery, but I don’t want to let Mrs T down.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Look at that little face!!! Definitely worthy of a thread (rave obviously) in my opinion. F & D animalia are the best.

How is Mr HTRIA this morning? Is his arm still bad? I think shoes might be preferable to grippy socks unless he likes the feel of sticky things when he walks on no carpet floor. 😑.

Good luck to all who are working in the wild today. The shop was quiet yesterday. I think that up here people are being really cautious (although the fb groups are saying the queues outside the out of town tescos etc are big) so the city was dead.

Again, like my birthday, Christmas is one of those times that I always ruined by refusing to eat anything and then doing the inevitable on my own afterwards. I am trying really hard to make this year special after the shitshow of the last 2 and the many many before but it is so hard not to find a reason to run miles to excuse the food etc. Sorry if I am being a misery, but I don’t want to let Mrs T down.
I'm so sorry you are going through this. This time of year is a triggering time ❤ I'm in the best place of my life mentally after more than half my life with EDs but I've still gone downhill purely because of the time of year (plus I'm cooking tomorrow so have been having to think about food A LOT due to all the planning) I have no really advice apart from being kind to yourself and reminding yourself frequently that it's only one day. Take care of yourself x

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I'm so sorry you are going through this. This time of year is a triggering time ❤ I'm in the best place of my life mentally after more than half my life with EDs but I've still gone downhill purely because of the time of year (plus I'm cooking tomorrow so have been having to think about food A LOT due to all the planning) I have no really advice apart from being kind to yourself and reminding yourself frequently that it's only one day. Take care of yourself x
Thank you so much. It helps knowing there are people who understand. I am so sorry you are struggling too. Sending hugs 🤗 xxx

• Heart
I don't know much about EDs, but I wish you all the best tomorrow. I find this time of year sets off my chemical imbalance and addiction issues. 💖

• Heart
Reactions: 14

What are the ways that you have coped in the past? Can you tell us what they were and we can help you plan?

I have very limited experience of this, but here is my take on things. I used to work with vulnerable adults and many had issues with food, some that were more about feeling in control of a situation rather than the intake of food. We would support them to eat a balanced diet but on special days where their routine was interrupted it could go one way or the other (you'll know what I mean). We would have a plan beforehand but on the day itself made very little fuss about food because they were already stressed and we would pick up the day after. It must be hard when the people around you mean well but can make a fuss or you feel like your intake is being observed by others. Can you and your partner have a joint plan and agree is it goes out of the window you can deal with it another day? To take the pressure off?

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I feel you ED fraus as although different, I also struggle at this time of year. I stopped drinking for good last year, as although I don't think I'm an alcoholic I was a binge drinker, so if I had a drink I'd want more and more...since getting to my parents house last night I've been asked (with good intentions) if I want one "as it's Christmas" so many times - my dad gets it but my mum genuinely doesn't understand - "oh it doesn't matter if you get a bit drunk, it's Christmas after all" - no mum, if I have a drink I'll ruin my MH for days, and Christmas won't be fun for anyone
On a positive note, I'm spending Christmas at my brothers house, I've bought his cat some super strength catnip in the hope that if I get her high she will be my best friend and sleep on my pillow (she's not the most affectionate cat but when she stayed with me when he went on holiday she did just that, purred in my face, I got next to no sleep but I loved every second of it) ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I feel you ED fraus as although different, I also struggle at this time of year. I stopped drinking for good last year, as although I don't think I'm an alcoholic I was a binge drinker, so if I had a drink I'd want more and more...since getting to my parents house last night I've been asked (with good intentions) if I want one "as it's Christmas" so many times - my dad gets it but my mum genuinely doesn't understand - "oh it doesn't matter if you get a bit drunk, it's Christmas after all" - no mum, if I have a drink I'll ruin my MH for days, and Christmas won't be fun for anyone
On a positive note, I'm spending Christmas at my brothers house, I've bought his cat some super strength catnip in the hope that if I get her high she will be my best friend and sleep on my pillow (she's not the most affectionate cat but when she stayed with me when he went on holiday she did just that, purred in my face, I got next to no sleep but I loved every second of it) ❤
im going back to my parents today, they are going to Drive me as i have both cats with me, not looking forward to the hourdrive with my kitten who hates cars and just endlesdly miaows, should have thought of catnip 🤣

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.