Food and Drink #20

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Another vote for Saino’s cast iron - I have a shallow dish and a traditional casserole type. Both doing well - they semi regularly have discounts on their cookware so can be good value. I also rate their heavy gauge baking trays and roasting tins too.

TK Maxx sell Le Creuset too - though I’d look in store rather than order online. We ordered a plant pot the other Christmas and it turned up in pieces - no bubble wrap etc! Whenever I see the TK Maxx Le Creuset deals posted to Hot Deals UK the comments are full of similar tales of woe!!!

• Wow
Reactions: 12
Hello Frauen! It's been a long time since I've posted, so forgive me for jumping straight in to me-rail mode...

I was wondering if anyone would be able to share any advice with me? There's a chap at my workplace who is my age and I think I have grown to like him just a little more than a little bit (squee!) The only problem is I feel like I keep on getting mixed messages. A general example is that, when we are in a group, he's quite chatty with the others but always seems a bit awkward/shy or as if he's holding back around me (I've been at the company longer than him) but we have good banter when we are alone together. It was our work's Christmas party the other day and we left the venue at the same time. He walked a few paces with me, hugged me quite tightly, and then told me it was lovely to see me and asked me to text him when I was home. Despite all this, it seems like he doesn't want to make a move. What could this mean? Is it worth the effort? Now that Boris has ordered work from home again I don't quite know what to do.
Are they senior to you ? I had to point out to my friend she had to ask him out as he was her boss and could be disciplined for asking her out ( civil service) Poor bloke had been hinting for ages

if not he may just be unsure and not wanting to make assumptions and make you uncomfortable

did you text him when you got home ?

Reactions: 13
I had an epiphany while I was standing cuddling my cat earlier (she's decided she loves being picked up and going to sleep in my arms while I stroke her tum) - I think it might be a bottle of wine? I'm really tempted to email Pets At Home to solve the mystery 🕵️‍♀️

• Haha
  • Heart
  • Wow
This is a bit niche, (I was also looking for nice things as an alternative to the MT), but here’s the most surprising art quote I’ve ever seen! 😮

D45CEE0C-D95A-44FE-BDCE-7690EC330B6A.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Hello all!

I have some good news! I got made redundant a few months ago which necessitated a change of direction career-wise. I have finally been offered a permanent contract in an area involving computer coding, which I've always been interested in but thought I'd missed the boat. Stress levels are receding (and no more job centre appointments, thank goodness)!

Hope you are all well and I'm busy on my mega-grunk now!

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Hello all!

I have some good news! I got made redundant a few months ago which necessitated a change of direction career-wise. I have finally been offered a permanent contract in an area involving computer coding, which I've always been interested in but thought I'd missed the boat. Stress levels are receding (and no more job centre appointments, thank goodness)!

Congratulations, fantastic news. Great timing before Christmas as well 🌟

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Hello all!

Congratulations - did you have to re train? Sounds exciting.

Reactions: 12
What’s everyone having for tea? I’m having to go softly softly with food as I’ve had a brief tummy bug - hopefully on the other side of it now but while I munch beige food will live through your food choices (just please no slop - thank god JM is busy dying clothes, small mercies).

Sorry for the incoming ramble.

BabyBeds nursery have emailed - they’ve had more Covid cases, across all rooms now, waiting for more PCR results, want LFTs done and any hint of being unwell not to attend. BabyBeds has had a virus since end of last week - pretty certain it’s just run of mill but Mr Beds and I have had a big argument about it. I don’t feel (based on their email) I can send BabyBeds in in good faith as he’s been under the weather and would predict even if I did send him I’d likely get a call to get him (and then he couldn’t re-attend until he has a negative PCR). I also can’t bear the thought of doing a LFT on him - he’s had to have a few PCRs when in hospital over the last year and I find it really traumatic so the thought of doing an LFT is upsetting me. I’ll probably do one just to rule out Covid for my own conscience but not keen to send him back into the lions den.

Mr Beds is grumbling as he’s already had to juggle work this week as I’ve had a sickness bug so couldn’t look after BabyBeds yesterday. And today he’s had to help at times as I’m physically fatigued from said sickness bug (thankfully just a 24hr thing it seems). We’d have to juggle work for a couple of days this week as a result of BabyBeds not going in and that’s his gripe alongside the fact there is no formal advice from Government telling us to do as the Nursery are stating. TBH at this point Government aren’t going to do anything are they? I just feel fucked either way and already feeling a bit anxious since Boris’ National address the other night - to be fair he could have said he was resigning and I’d have still felt anxious as those announcements just fill me with dread/make me relive the dread from last year.

Little Beds school play was cancelled too - well parents attending and I was gutted over that, although I agree with the reasons for it. I was stupidly excited to see it.

Sorry I also appreciate in the grand scheme of things this is a first world problem and a privilege that I will have to juggle wfh and a 1yr old when others don’t have that option.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 17
Congratulations - did you have to re train? Sounds exciting.
I didn't! In a roundabout way covid actually helped.

I used to work in research and during the first lockdown I had to find something to do since the lab closed. I taught myself BASH/shell scripting in order to analyse some sequencing data, and luckily for me the post I went for specified skills in this area. I feel like I was really lucky as usually these posts require proficiency in python, database management etc. I have the opportunity to learn python and other languages while in post so I'm really excited about what could easily have been a devastating situation. I will miss the science but I feel like I'm not just settling for something else and I'm really looking forward to it.

The only downside is I now have to dress like an adult and not jeans/trainers/hoodies. If anyone has an idea what smart casual entails I'd be grateful! I'm thinking trousers and a woolly jumper would be OK... I don't do skirts/dresses!

• Heart
Reactions: 17
great news @Professor Slop (and great name :ROFLMAO:)
My dinner won't be anythign exciting, my hot water is not working (again :rolleyes:) and I cannot face anything which will involve lots of washing up so probably having toast with avocado, tomato and eggs. I hope everyone else;s dinners are more interesting! I did however manage to cook liver as a treat for my cats, just so you can understand who is the priority here :ROFLMAO:

• Heart

I used to work in research and during the first lockdown I had to find something to do since the lab closed. I taught myself BASH/shell scripting in order to analyse some sequencing data, and luckily for me the post I went for specified skills in this area. I feel like I was really lucky as usually these posts require proficiency in python, database management etc. I have the opportunity to learn python and other languages while in post so I'm really excited about what could easily have been a devastating situation. I will miss the science but I feel like I'm not just settling for something else and I'm really looking forward to it.

The only downside is I now have to dress like an adult and not jeans/trainers/hoodies. If anyone has an idea what smart casual entails I'd be grateful! I'm thinking trousers and a woolly jumper would be OK... I don't do skirts/dresses!
That is fantastic news and sounds really exciting (and complicated!).

Woolly jumpers definitely the way forward. Unless they specify smart then I reckon you don’t need to be.

• Heart
I had an epiphany while I was standing cuddling my cat earlier (she's decided she loves being picked up and going to sleep in my arms while I stroke her tum) - I think it might be a bottle of wine? I'm really tempted to email Pets At Home to solve the mystery 🕵️‍♀️
Omg please do, I love a solved mystery!

What’s everyone having for tea? I’m having to go softly softly with food as I’ve had a brief tummy bug - hopefully on the other side of it now but while I munch beige food will live through your food choices (just please no slop - thank god JM is busy dying clothes, small mercies).

Sorry for the incoming ramble.

BabyBeds nursery have emailed - they’ve had more Covid cases, across all rooms now, waiting for more PCR results, want LFTs done and any hint of being unwell not to attend. BabyBeds has had a virus since end of last week - pretty certain it’s just run of mill but Mr Beds and I have had a big argument about it. I don’t feel (based on their email) I can send BabyBeds in in good faith as he’s been under the weather and would predict even if I did send him I’d likely get a call to get him (and then he couldn’t re-attend until he has a negative PCR). I also can’t bear the thought of doing a LFT on him - he’s had to have a few PCRs when in hospital over the last year and I find it really traumatic so the thought of doing an LFT is upsetting me. I’ll probably do one just to rule out Covid for my own conscience but not keen to send him back into the lions den.

Mr Beds is grumbling as he’s already had to juggle work this week as I’ve had a sickness bug so couldn’t look after BabyBeds yesterday. And today he’s had to help at times as I’m physically fatigued from said sickness bug (thankfully just a 24hr thing it seems). We’d have to juggle work for a couple of days this week as a result of BabyBeds not going in and that’s his gripe alongside the fact there is no formal advice from Government telling us to do as the Nursery are stating. TBH at this point Government aren’t going to do anything are they? I just feel fucked either way and already feeling a bit anxious since Boris’ National address the other night - to be fair he could have said he was resigning and I’d have still felt anxious as those announcements just fill me with dread/make me relive the dread from last year.

Little Beds school play was cancelled too - well parents attending and I was gutted over that, although I agree with the reasons for it. I was stupidly excited to see it.

Sorry I also appreciate in the grand scheme of things this is a first world problem and a privilege that I will have to juggle wfh and a 1yr old when others don’t have that option.
:( so sorry you’re all going through this. Obviously don’t know your NICHE and really appreciate not all employers are so fab but would they be agreeable to some sort of flexible or reduced hours considering we’re in a pandemic? Can you take sick leave yourself (I know this is cheeky but this close to Christmas you only need a week or so to get you over the line!), or worst case is parental leave an option? Sadly this is going to happen to so many families over the next few weeks :/ I know it’s easier said than done but try not to worry - set yourself 1/2 (ideally highly visible 😂😳) things you know you can get done in a day, do them, and then that’s you done then switch off and no more worry. It’s ridiculous to expect parents to parent & work in a pandemic, time and time again they do these lockdowns and isolation measures with inadequate support for huge swathes of the country!

Sorry for essay and mega congrats @Professor Slop !!! 💪🏻🙌🏻❤

Sorry this is going to compile into a mega post but only just read this - but hello fellow niche-er! There are SO many people in data from academia & the sciences, you’ll be a shoe in and hopefully really enjoy it. Re: clothes usually even formal companies are a bit more flexible with anyone in tech/data (even in IB) so don’t worry too much about having to be peak Cherie Blair but always love clothes chat! Do you like dresses? They’re quite an easy way to dress “smartly” ?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Sending hugs to those who are navigating tough times ❤. Nothing seems to be getting any easier does it?

So, in a way to take my mind off the MT, I decided to watch a documentary on Now TV about Adrienne Shelly (the writer and director of the film waitress). No light relief I’m afraid. She never got to see her film made into the musical. Sobbing.

• Heart

Welcome to the dark side - programming is an excellent choice! I've served 23 years at my company (not the same role or even technologies) and honestly every day is different. I'm more customer service /managed services these days, but do enjoy the odd days of coding.

I've always found customers are surprised when I turn up dressed normally and able to hold a conversation. In the office (when we had one!) I was very much trousers and a jumper. If customers were visiting, a shirt would appear. If out in the wild and trying to impress I would break out a suit. Depends on the audience, just see what everyone else wears and adjust accordingly.

In the wfh era standards have slipped - but seems to be true of all our customers too! Today I wore lounge pants, a 20 year old Timberland hoodie with slippers....

On topic and on brand, I had a pizza with donner meat topping last night, and there were a few slices spare for lunch. I do eat properly most of the time but I'm no expert at presentation so meals are not photogenic.

• Heart
Sorry this is going to compile into a mega post but only just read this - but hello fellow niche-er! There are SO many people in data from academia & the sciences, you’ll be a shoe in and hopefully really enjoy it. Re: clothes usually even formal companies are a bit more flexible with anyone in tech/data (even in IB) so don’t worry too much about having to be peak Cherie Blair but always love clothes chat! Do you like dresses? They’re quite an easy way to dress “smartly” ?
I looked through various promo stuff on their site and noticed most of the people wearing jeans and t-shirts with the odd jumper, so I think leaning more towards the casual than the smart will be OK. I will go more smart first day though just in case! I don't do any skirts or dresses which is why I'm slightly stressed over the clothes thing, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

There's no public facing stuff in the role but I would guess I'll be in on client briefings etc, easily solved if wfh and I can change before the meeting. A lot of the team are spread around the country so I'd imagine a lot of meetings would usually be online anyway, and they told me that even before the recent wfh recommendation most people were wfh 60-80% of the time.

I'm intending to spend time revising what I already know in preparation, but I've found myself obsessed with Red Dead Redemption 2 for the last week so that's going well. 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 15
just need to vent a minute, sorry lads. so the crappy news i mentioned on the MT was that a colleague of mine died very suddenly yesterday

she was only a year or 2 older than me, not yet 40. she was lovely, so good with people, her and her husband were looking into adoption. it's so bleeping tit

other thing is, this is the 3rd year in a row someone in my department has died around this time of year. feels like we're cursed

and on top of mr kcc's dad's death and all the other stuff going on in the wider world, not to mention money, stuff needing to be fixed in the car and at home, it's all a bit too much and it's bleeping xmas!

yesterday, i basically spent the day on the sofa unable to relax because of my anxiety and I'm just exhausted now

sorry for ranting at you, but thank you all for being here ❤
/SPOILER]

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 24
so I think leaning more towards the casual than the smart will be OK. I will go more smart first day though just in case! I don't do any skirts or dresses which is why I'm slightly stressed over the clothes thing, but I'm sure it'll be fine.
Agree dresses are such an easy way to look ✨fancy✨, skirts are such faff though they’re as inconvenient as a trouser with the added eternal concern of ur knicks and your raw thighs touching tube seats.

It’s really hard to say though as I know some industries are still quite wedded to their smart cas work wear but largely I feel it’s been dropped? Definitely agree on just starting out with one or two bits and testing the waters. Can’t recommend dying your own 😉

Would also say just enjoy your game - you’ll be made busy enough when you start & it’s always easier to learn on the job when you have access to internal tools & data and can learn through project based work rather than reading/watching theoretical things. Went through similar after a 15+ month maternity (got signed off sick beforehand due to awful discrimination tit) and was told this by my manager and buddy & completely agree with them now. :) x

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.