Food and Drink #20

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sounds perfect to me, exactly what is needed on a pretty miserable winter’s day (well, it certainly is here at least!). Hopefully Mx Dr Dr Monroe will take a leaf from your book and realise that sometimes, the fewer ingredients the better. Particularly if fish is not involved!
It was delicious. Can be gluten free if you use gluten free stock. I added plain yogurt and grated cheese as a topping. I also had some cooked green lentils so added a few spoonfuls to the bowl. If you are a meat eater, bits of ham would be a good addition.

I also make a potato soup with a roux and any kind of milk which is also very nice. it alleviates the need to add cream, which I don’t usually have.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Is t a riff on soffriti? Heat it up a second time and that makes it a Ribolitta apparently
Those three ingredients are soffritto. Also good for pasta sauce. You can buy frozen mixes of the three ingredients to save the chopping. Or chop extra when you are doing it yourself and freeze for next time.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Those three ingredients are soffritto. Also good for pasta sauce. You can buy frozen mixes of the three ingredients to save the chopping. Or chop extra when you are doing it yourself and freeze for next time.
Or pretend you chopped them yourself with your poor arthritic hands when you post on twitter?

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Or pretend you chopped them yourself with your poor arthritic hands when you post on twitter?
Is that what she does? I hardly ever look on the MT anymore. You can get three bags for £3 of the M&S soffritto at Ocado now. I chopped my own today. At Waitrose too.
B3DD14F9-100D-4416-B891-69620BB7C0D8.jpeg
E76D0939-B5C2-4AE2-8A76-93EF0F02336B.jpeg
my

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I am not good at taking photos of food but I actually made a caterpillar cake trifle as suggested by dear heart @Into_the_tunnel. It's a slice of caterpillar cake (defrosted in its own juices), a layer of cherry jam, Alpro custard, coconut yoghurt and a dusting of cocoa powder, garnished with a single fondant caterpillar eye. Haute cuisine 👩‍🍳💋

caterpillar trifle.jpg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 22
I am not good at taking photos of food but I actually made a caterpillar cake trifle as suggested by dear heart @Into_the_tunnel. It's a slice of caterpillar cake (defrosted in its own juices), a layer of cherry jam, Alpro custard, coconut yoghurt and a dusting of cocoa powder, garnished with a single fondant caterpillar eye. Haute cuisine 👩‍🍳💋

View attachment 920073
this really reminds me of these little puddings they used to have in M&S years ago, there was a kind of spong mousse one which was espresso flavoured (iirc) they came in glass , delicious!

• Heart
Reactions: 13

View attachment 920073
I love that you actually done it! The eye! 🤣 That is genius! Did it taste good?

• Heart
  • Haha
Has anyone here ever had Rumtopf? It’s fruit matured for a long time in rum. My mother used to make it and serve it around Christmastime with vanilla ice cream. I could feel myself getting drunk on one bowl as a teenager.

• Haha
It was good! The ratios weren't quite right and ideally I would have used coconut or oat cream and not yoghurt but the yoghurt was already open and I didn't want to open a whole carton of cream just to use that amount. The eye really made it tbh, wouldn't have been the same without the ghost of Archie watching in horror as I ate the remnants of his corporeal form.

• Haha
Has anyone here ever had Rumtopf? It’s fruit matured for a long time in rum. My mother used to make it and serve it around Christmastime with vanilla ice cream. I could feel myself getting drunk on one bowl as a teenager.
Ditto it was all the rage at one time, the 'jars' made easy Christmas gifts

• Wow
Reactions: 7

View attachment 920073
Wowser!

That looks fabulous. In fact, before you described it, I thought you had made your own Colin cake jar.

I have to agree, the eye definitely makes it. Colin is always watching.

❤

• Heart
  • Haha
It was Chicken supreme !!! Rewind to school dinner primary school circa 1981 ! .. chicken supreme, excited much .. yeah I was and I served it with rice old skool. As anemic as I remember. Still as good as I remember, that was my favourite free school dinner

Reactions: 6
I like the black fruit cake I think it’s Bajan the fruit is soaked in rum and blended. It’s like a giant tipsy nakd bar cake

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.