Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Cheezychips

Chatty Member
Is the Dior lip oil that everyone went mad about any good? I don't really wear lipstick because I'm a lip picker but something subtle and hydrating would be of huge benefit
I got my 17 year old it for Christmas and she loves it, it's clear in the tube but turns pinkish on. I only wear matt lipsticks so don't own any myself, however a classic I remember from the 00's was Lancome Juicy Tubes, I had probably every colour, they tasted amazing and we're long lasting and not overly expensive. Going to get my kid started on them, I'm passing down all my 90's and Y2K fashion experience, she's mad that I never kept all the clothes that she's seen me wearing in photos tho lol

• Heart
Reactions: 7

chinesewhisperss

Chatty Member
That’s b
This happened to me. I bought a lot of gold jewellery in Dubai, including my diamond tennis bracelet, my Chanel bag, my mum bought an LV bag etc. we got back to the U.K. and they searched us after we collected our luggage, found our receipts etc and made us pay import tax. They threatened to seize everything, proper shook me up ngl I started crying 😂 it felt like we were on the show “can’t pay we’ll take it away”. We paid the tax and they gave us a booklet on import tax and said we have to pay it on anything we buy abroad that is over £350? Can’t remember the exact amount

the tax came up to quite a lot, but I remember it was still cheaper to buy abroad than in the U.K. (not by as much after the tax tho 🥲)
That sounds rather scary! I rarely buy abroad as I worry about this so much. Having said that I’m gullible and once believed the guy at the airport in Turkey who said I could bring back 1000 cigarettes. When we landed I panicked as I saw the sign and walked myself over to the desk to report myself. They told me to just go and that it was fine on this occasion as it was for personal use! 😬

• Haha
Do any of you like fine jewellery and watches? I don’t know where to begin and would like to own some classic pieces other than the typical Cartier and van cleef pieces.
unless you want a luxury brand signature design, go to your local jeweller/ trusted online retail, pick your favourite stone and setting. you could get a much nicer/bigger stone without the brand crazy mark up.

Joannabloggs

VIP Member
Came across the prada basket today and I am in love 😭😭 my husband will
Freak if I even mention it 🙈😭
Don't mention, just buy. I presume you're a working woman and basket bags are relatively inexpensive in the grand scheme of the luxury market.

Summer is upon us and to get maximum cost per wear you're better off buying now in spring rather than later on in the year.

• Heart

LifeOfMog

VIP Member
Yeah I agree. I was at a dinner with work colleagues, all women, ranging from early 20s to nearly 60. A couple of the older ladies had genuine designer items - a Rolex, a Mulberry handbag, a pair of Ralph Lauren loafers - but the younger ones were all wearing fakes. There were the aforementioned Van Cleef and Cartier Love bracelets (4 in total, on the same person!), Orans, a Jacquemus bag and a Balenciaga t-shirt. I get it - I love posh shit, I understand that people want nice, fancy things, but yeah, like you, I just don't know.....
I feel like theres a very fine line between the current generation and designer, against the older generation and designer ...

Don't get me wrong, I'm a sucker for a trend and I love my Marc Jacobs tote and LV Wallet on chain, but everything seems so common and "normal" nowadays the rush and excitement for designer items has been lost :(

pommynoir

VIP Member
Tbh he didn’t send prices BUT he’s claiming that they’re all authentic and he’s saying that he’s sourced them through other stores but wait until you guys see the pictures. They’re proper weird dhgate stock style pictures, they’re not even pictures of stock taken in the stores, you know the way that other PS show stock, like Annika for example.
---

@Scorpihoe - same! I definitely don’t want anybody getting scammed so he will 100000% be reported. I’ll upload the pics
---

Birmingham
---

Maybe he lied about being management, cos it’s absolutely shocking but absolutely appalling to come from a staff member regardless! It does reflect really badly on them so I will for sure complain.

So here’s a few of the first pictures - as you can see they’re very dhgate - esque and look at them awful straps 😭
Ah no I nearly broke my shite laughing when I saw the LV purse. Ok I take it back, I wouldn’t fall for it. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha

Dizzy

VIP Member
Yes!! This is another one!! Years and years ago at work we did a research project on HNWIs and that was the first time I’d even heard of them, and the financial situations for that studied cohort was SO far removed from the people you see on social media wearing it. Even Molly Mae who imo is a key person in popularising them with the huns is currently high income isn’t in the realms of the HNWIs that shop at these brands and can genuinely afford (on every level, like there is no opportunity cost of that money because you have enough money to cover your next 5 generations).

I appreciate there’s a lot of fakes about, but fake or not I feel so deeply uncomfortable with young women feeling like these items are remotely normal for anyone in their life stage to have? Like most influencers are from intergenerational wealth so their income is just for discretionary spending, and don’t get me wrong I’m no Dave Ramsey telling ppl to drive around in styrofoam kebab boxes to save a few quid, but I worry that financial literacy in this country is so poor you’ll have young women financing these purchases at a time of ever increasing interest rates. Even if they’re cash buyers how many of them have a net worth anything close to the realm of what such a purchase would make sense for?

I know ppl have free will but idk, influencer content is so insidious and prays upon people’s insecurities. And yes some people will stretch themselves for a £1k bag and that’s also not gr8 but is still recoverable, as the stakes rise it’s just concerning to see this content growing exponentially in a vacuum of honesty? Like again an age old issue with influencers - and this applies to houses and #renos too - but I do wish the girls creating this content would say look I don’t need to pay for a house deposit or school fees or pension so my salary is just for discretionary spending and excessive consumption lbr. Because there will be women that miss out on ever having these things because they never clocked. These things are not normal, and not needed, like the ultimate luxury is financial security at the end of the day but this never gets discussed, or even an honourable mention. Then again every month it comes out that an influencer or reality star girly was living far beyond their means so maybe they’re fucked too.

I also can’t help but wonder what’s going to happen in 2/3 years when these items are passé and the preloved market becomes flooded? This is bitchy but I find it so hard to believe all these young women genuinely find these Queen Mother looking bags gorgeous and will wear them beyond this period of posturing. So when the market is flooded with them and the fakes, in the colours they didn’t really want but settled for, is anything beyond the black bags gonna go for anything? The Cartier love bands tanked didn’t they? Idk. It’s a yikes from me.
Yes yes yes! Nail on the head as always! I love the point you make about financial security being the ultimate luxury. I've only really recognised this as I've got older and I can't lie, I am still loathe to spend too much on "nice stuff" but I think with age comes (hopefully) a bit of wisdom and we learn to make more measured purchases. The yoofs generally don't have that wisdom yet; middle age seems a million years away, the latest bag/bracelet/pair of shoes is all over their social media and they want it.

Dizzy

VIP Member
This really reminds me of the normalisation of Van Cleef & Arpels. Not to sound like a pick me but I actually knew of this brand years and years ago as an avid Vogue/ELLE reader and loved the Alhambra collection but obviously £4k+ was well out of my price range. Cut to current day and this brand is as common as a high street chain!? Admittedly a lot are copies but it's become a 'status' symbol like the Cartier Love bracelet and it's just.....idk
Yeah I agree. I was at a dinner with work colleagues, all women, ranging from early 20s to nearly 60. A couple of the older ladies had genuine designer items - a Rolex, a Mulberry handbag, a pair of Ralph Lauren loafers - but the younger ones were all wearing fakes. There were the aforementioned Van Cleef and Cartier Love bracelets (4 in total, on the same person!), Orans, a Jacquemus bag and a Balenciaga t-shirt. I get it - I love posh shit, I understand that people want nice, fancy things, but yeah, like you, I just don't know.....

• Wow
Reactions: 6

chinesewhisperss

Chatty Member
On a totally different note; what on earth is vegan leather?!a posh way of saying PVC? I keep seeing it on instagram and it irks me 🤣

Wifo1976

VIP Member
I was going to say @ATV2021 go into the actual Celine store if you can. We went to Selfridges but it just wasn’t the same, and they’ll definitely
Oh she’s absolutely beautiful @Wifo1976 🤎 I was going to ask how your purchase went but thought that might be a bit stalker-y so I’m glad you’ve posted! 😁 How much did you pay out of interest?
😘 It was £4400, I got the personalisation on the straps too which is FoC. I almost got the Twillies - I think this must be where the SA make their commission as there was a bit of up selling going on. Overall I’m glad I went there and not Selfridges, where we almost went. It was absolutely fascinating, people watching in the flagship store. There was a queue for Chanel next door the whole time we were there too?! I’ve bought Chanel before (but never in London) and never had the kind of attention and service we had in Dior. We got plied with champagne and macarons, it was all an extremely enjoyable experience💕

• Heart

soph30

VIP Member
Does anyone follow handbagholic she’s so triggering 😂
---
Listen to the way she says ‘Le 37’ she’s such a hun 😆

Attachments

• Haha

Scorpihoe

VIP Member
I thought designer things were more expensive in America? I’m sure Americans always buy in Europe to save on tax and it’s cheaper. Plus the pound has been really crap against the dollar so I’m not sure it’ll be much cheaper, if at all?

I may be wrong though

• Heart
I love the basket bags but hate that I’m clumsy and will probably have the straw straggling after a few wears. I also love the Dior book tote but £2.5k for a tote? Does anybody else go from one extreme to another? I’m either counting pennies (needlessly) and think everything is overpriced or i am spending (carelessly) like I’ve won the lottery! There is no happy median.
Hello me 😆

• Haha

BlairWaldorf86

VIP Member
That’s so interesting @Tabitha thank you!

I wonder if we are comparing apples and oranges a bit since Matches are a platform for lots of brands rather than a single designer? I read something the other day about an influencer who took a pay cut to work at Matches, I think it was possibly Camille Charriere, and she said her Matches salary was £22,000 (a few years ago). The other area in fashion where I think salaries have been traditionally low is journalism, that’s why you get all these wealthy gals who were able to work on fashion mags back in the day due to wealthy parents, who’ve used it as a springboard into influencing (“I was a fashion editor 🥴”). But it’s good to know that actual fashion houses look after their staff a bit better.

• Heart