Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
I honestly cannot get enough of this chat - I find it fascinating how the markets work and how each demographic of customer is targetted (or not). Over on The Purse Forums, there are a lot of very well informed posters and buyers. Some of them have an encyclopaedic knowledge of products, price points, stock levels, history of the brand etc. With regards to quality, the general feeling is that it has dropped considerably over the last 5 years.
I love my luxury brands and one of the reasons has always been that the quality is far better than most. However it might also just be that the UK doesn't have enough independent shops making luxury leather items and that is something I really miss.
I grew up abroad and we had a lot of independent shops and crafters making the most amazing things and really good quality. So you don't feel like you're missing out if you can't afford luxury brands

Reactions: 8

Dizzy

VIP Member
They are cute but I don't think they'll age well. The brand seems very "now" and is all over social media which always makes me wary. That said, I think this style has much more longevity than the teeny tiny bags which have been around for a while.

newaccount2022

Chatty Member
I agree with you, I haven’t told my closest friends or family what I’m doing tomorrow as I don’t want judgement or to be perceived as showing off. I work hard and ‘nice things’ are my Achilles heel, and it’s nice to be able to share that hobby with like-minded people on here.
I am on a few FB groups but they seem to be the other way where it is a bit showy, this thread had the right balance imo 🫶🏼
I completely get you! I worked Myself up to the job I have now and manage my money well enough so I can afford this stuff.. I feel like I get side eyed a lot and people think how can I buy these things but I see people going out every weekend having loads of drinks, buying a new dress to wear each week, heels and accessories, blow dry, tan, transport home and then the takeaway next day… they’re easily spending 200-400. Even the price of the ‘fakes’ is wild these days, people paying 200 for ‘premium’ Chanel fakes is insane 😱

• Heart

ATV2021

VIP Member
I thought the same with the large size - It's huge !!

Will definitely have a look while I'm over there then - I've got my eyes on a celine belt 😁
I had an ad pop up of a Celine belt dupe, so I risked it...and it's actually a very decent copy 🙈. I know I know I've sinned everybody!

• Haha

Scorpihoe

VIP Member
Guys…I bought this Chanel lip balm and the logo is a bit 🥴 would you complain about this? It came beautifully packaged with samples but I’m a bit disappointed with how sloppy the logo is! Am I just being fussy?
Update…after almost 1 month arguing with Chanel over email and showing them proof of the awful quality, and then proving I sent back the lip balm…I finally got my replacement 😅 not gonna lie after the constant back and forth of me chasing them up, it has absolutely lost its shine! 😂

Attachments

• Sad
  • Wow

Dizzy

VIP Member
I really enjoy this thread - lovely people with a shared enthusiasm for overpriced leatherware! 😂 I'm not part of any groups on FB, wasn't aware they existed TBH. Any recs @Wifo1976 ?

I've always loved bags and shoes, well and clothes, but bags and shoes have always been my Achilles. I can remember getting a new school bag every September, usually from somewhere like Lennards or Dolcis (showing my age!) and being so excited to use it. And new shoes from Clarks - I'd sleep with them at the end of my bed for the first few weeks 😂

I've very little on my designer list at present. Still pondering some kind of basket but the copies really put me off and I'd like a summer clutch, ratten, tan leather kinda thing, thinking either YSL or Celine.

• Heart
I know those tiktok videos that are like “things I see and always assume are fake” get a ton of backlash but these items are always the super hyped ones you end up seeing everywhere so it’s inevitable?

I think there’s been slightly more backlash against it with de influencing stuff trickling down from the hyper consuming fast fash hauling huns to luxury with “Dior but no front door” being a thing ppl say now - and I’m always conscious of any #discourse becoming classist tho. But idk the whole thing doesn’t sit well with me?

@Dizzy interesting point re age too, you’re right re age and being measured. But it makes me die to think there must be at least one 20 something with low impulse control with £tens of thousands sat on a >20% APR card because of the recent spate of this content. I know that’s a them problem but idk, in the same way you’d have to be regulated to give financial/investments advice surely when products are priced at this point there should be some equivalent to protect consumers? The same would apply to someone promoting cars, like the stakes are SO high influencer content/marketing (and afaik Hermès aren’t paying these girls? But it’s convenient how many of them end up with bags…?) doesn’t feel remotely appropriate for it. Let ppl live and make good choices for them, the 0.3% who these bags are for know about them we don’t need YouTube content 😂

Alistess

Chatty Member
This is the dream bag for me girls, the Kelly picnic bag 🙈 I’m not a Birkin girl at all, I think the Kelly is much nicer. Gonna be looking out for other brands with something similar/more affordable!
I was actually offered this bag in Hermès Glasgow when it was released. I looked at it and thought it was impractical so said no 🙄. I would love it now; it’s one of my biggest regrets. As I recall it was £7,500 at the time and they go for bonkers money now so would have been a great investment even if I hadn’t wanted to use it. Hindsight……

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
I’ve been thinking further on the young people being pressured to buy designer items thing (please ignore if not interested, or else feel free to start a thread if there is enough interest).

As well as individual influencers, I think a lot of the blame lies with these aff link farm websites (can’t think of a better term, but the ones that are basically blogs/online magazines who get all their income from affiliates and spon con). Who What Wear, Sheerluxe, Wardrobe Icons etc. There’s an article on WWW today about the Matches sale and all the things they link are hundreds of pounds. They write about items as though everything is a “must have”, which is obviously their MO and how they make money, but I think it’s kind of morally dubious. I’m a reasonably high earner and have a few nice bits, but surely the people who are in a position to spend hundreds on a top or a blazer are like the 0.1%? Even I find myself feeling like I should be splurging on these items, before I catch myself on, and I’m 36.
Examples:
View attachment 2198370[
View attachment 2198371View attachment 2198372
Firstly calling anything an investment piece makes me die 😂 like you’re not curating a collection of coveted 90s catwalk pieces you’re buying some shit out a factory in Thailand that’ll be lucky to see the year through.

But I think the complete absence of like… idk bear with can’t think of how to describe this but an education piece around how much clothing we actually need and the planet can cope with and how to make clothing work for you beyond one season/trending moment? Like the issue here is actually due to the excessive volume that’s been normalised by social/media. Like people buying Shein or H&M hauls month in month out likely have a higher annual fashion spend than someone who buys one or two quality pieces every month or two. But there’s less desire for the latter cos of social media and these blogs as you point out. It’s why most ppl are more interested in lower price point items like logoed bags/accessories than anything else, they want to pair them with Shein outfits to stunt on Insta. I’m not a snob or from money at all (but we are lucky enough to have earnt our own) but it’s why I’ll never see some of these bags as covetable.

The other piece is - I also think there’s a lot of green washing + quality washing going on in luxury. Buying a bag that’s 10 * more expensive than the highstreet equivalent oftentimes isn’t any more sustainable, and tbh oftentimes isn’t even of higher quality. Increasingly there’s small indie designers or social enterprises that produce high quality clothes/accessories and ppl would be surprised at how accessible these can be (especially the latter). But yeah. Idk rambling sorry - I think it was @knivesnflowers who said she’s thinking of what to buy and yet has no desire such is the lay of the land these days. I’ve got 3/4 achievements/moments I’ve wanted to commemorate with a nice purchase but absolutely no desire sadly!

Tabitha

VIP Member
I saw this one on holiday recently 😍
https://www.farfetch.com/item-18184...share&utm_source=farfetch&is_retargeting=true
---

Genuinely interested in your role! What can you tell us without being too obvious? It sounds ace!
I thought that maybe @soph30 was referring to the first level of employee, maybe the SA’s? They probably work on a lower basic with high commission structure?
I can’t speak for SAs but I know the store managers can easily be on £60k. But I hear it can be very stressful?

I wont say much about my role but now I’ve outted myself🤣 will say some stuff about the industry that I thought was interesting. Some of you might know this already (sorry) but I didn’t when joining

• A lot profit is from outlets, around the same as owned retail stores and website combined.
  • 1/3 of orders use Klarna / Afterpay , so yes, a lot is paid for with debt.
  • Accessories (non bags or wallets) and fragrances are licensed and the majority of what you buy are all made by the same few large suppliers. I.e luxottica make sunglasses for prada, Chanel, Ray Ban / Superdry underwear are made by the same people who make Calvin Klein’s.
  • Some online concessions are fulfilled by the brand.
  • We do get a really good discount and regular sample sales but people don’t really walk around like they’re in a IG reel / fashion show, you just see the odd item here and there.
As for fakes, don’t really have an opinion. I did have some kids shout at me really cocky that I had a fake. I think I just look too young to afford it or theyre in a gen where fakes are so common (you even have influencers being sponsored by these fake sites on social media now). but I really couldn’t care tbh.

Last edited:
  • Heart

RR20

I bought my first designer bag recently after reading this thread, a YSL college bag in black which I saw pre-loved at the handbag clinic concession in Fenwicks. I'm so happy I bought it as usually I try to save as much money as I can. I'd like some Carrier earrings or a Rolex next.

• Heart

hytuhh

Chatty Member
Yes!! This is another one!! Years and years ago at work we did a research project on HNWIs and that was the first time I’d even heard of them, and the financial situations for that studied cohort was SO far removed from the people you see on social media wearing it. Even Molly Mae who imo is a key person in popularising them with the huns is currently high income isn’t in the realms of the HNWIs that shop at these brands and can genuinely afford (on every level, like there is no opportunity cost of that money because you have enough money to cover your next 5 generations).

I appreciate there’s a lot of fakes about, but fake or not I feel so deeply uncomfortable with young women feeling like these items are remotely normal for anyone in their life stage to have? Like most influencers are from intergenerational wealth so their income is just for discretionary spending, and don’t get me wrong I’m no Dave Ramsey telling ppl to drive around in styrofoam kebab boxes to save a few quid, but I worry that financial literacy in this country is so poor you’ll have young women financing these purchases at a time of ever increasing interest rates. Even if they’re cash buyers how many of them have a net worth anything close to the realm of what such a purchase would make sense for?

I know ppl have free will but idk, influencer content is so insidious and prays upon people’s insecurities. And yes some people will stretch themselves for a £1k bag and that’s also not gr8 but is still recoverable, as the stakes rise it’s just concerning to see this content growing exponentially in a vacuum of honesty? Like again an age old issue with influencers - and this applies to houses and #renos too - but I do wish the girls creating this content would say look I don’t need to pay for a house deposit or school fees or pension so my salary is just for discretionary spending and excessive consumption lbr. Because there will be women that miss out on ever having these things because they never clocked. These things are not normal, and not needed, like the ultimate luxury is financial security at the end of the day but this never gets discussed, or even an honourable mention. Then again every month it comes out that an influencer or reality star girly was living far beyond their means so maybe they’re fucked too.

I also can’t help but wonder what’s going to happen in 2/3 years when these items are passé and the preloved market becomes flooded? This is bitchy but I find it so hard to believe all these young women genuinely find these Queen Mother looking bags gorgeous and will wear them beyond this period of posturing. So when the market is flooded with them and the fakes, in the colours they didn’t really want but settled for, is anything beyond the black bags gonna go for anything? The Cartier love bands tanked didn’t they? Idk. It’s a yikes from me.
100% agree with everything you've said here.

I have a Jacques du Manoir watch which looks very much like a Rolex. A couple of extended family members mistook it for a Rolex and nearly grabbed it off my wrist like OMG let me see!! I explained it's not a Rolex, and they then proceeded to show me their Rolex's. Now bear in mind they don't work, they are on the waitlist for a council house (absolutely no issue with this - just setting the scene), have recently had babies but are always wearing labels (fake or real idk but the point is, even fakes cost money!). It's like they're so hyper tuned in to what they think they should have and from the outside look like they are living the high life but the pressure to maintain this is just crazy.

Anyway this is just a small example and kind of off topic from Designer Items but yeah, the pressure of todays influencer society has a lot to answer for.

harveydean

VIP Member
I work in the city near Bond St where Birkins are staple, and there’s NO way I’d be able to tell the difference from afar. But it must be embarrassing going into shops and the sales staff side eyeing you. Like I’ve said before, I’d rather have a decent All Saints bag than something fake.

• Heart
Omggggg. I had to share this with you guys. Went to selfridges and Harvey Nichols today with my Mr as we are doing some holiday shopping and in Dior department, we had a guy helping us who happened to be a member of management. He was complaining about personal shoppers hiding items as he was looking for a pair of trainers for Mr… he eventually came back with them and as we finished up shopping he gave us his personal number and said anything we need, give him a text. Basically doing up personal shopper himself…

Mr sent him a message this evening, asking if he had certain items to which he’s only gone and sent us pictures of a bunch of FAKE items!!! And they’re so obviously fake as well. I’ll attach some photos in a bit. I’m actually shocked that a staff member of Harvey Nichols would do such a thing when he could become a personal shopper properly if he wanted?! Appalling!

Had to share with you lot.
This is shocking! Especially if this is "management". I agree with others take those trainers back, how can you trust they aren't fake now.

Personally I would take screenshots of the whole conversation and then inform his employers. This reflects so badly on them.

I honestly can't believe someone would be so stupid to do this, especially if the items are so clearly fake.

Reactions: 7

ATV2021

VIP Member
which serum did you go for? And is it working for you 🙏🏾👀👀👀
---
I was gonna share that photo aswell 😆 need to unfollow her tbh haha
---
Here are my directly influenced from this thread purchases...
---
Also blaming on this thread... Fendi cuff bracelet (because you all made me want a bangle but my wrists are too small), Marc Jacobs camera bag, Longchamp Pliage (smashing flight bag) errrm think that's it.

My own work was Maje crochet and the LV pouch 😆😆.

Christ I've got alot 😫😆

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 7